Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
True Blood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cfos

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: True Blood Reply with quote

HBO Series. Rented the first two episodes. Thought they were pretty good. Debating whether to purchase the first season. Any thoughts on this show?
Ipsa

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard about it; haven't seen any episodes yet. I have gotten sucked into "The Iron Empress," though.
cfos

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with Iron Empress. Is it a cable show? For those not too familiar with True Blood, here is a brief description:

The Japanese have invented a synthetic blood called, you guessed it, True Blood. With the invention of this new product, Vampires have come out of hiding and are joining society. Many are not happy about this and there is outright discrimination -- similar to how teh Gheys or minorities are (unfortunately) treated. Within the Vampire culture, however, there is a political faction (or so it seems) that is arguing for equal rights, property/ownership, etc., stuff.

So, the setting for this show is rural Louisiana. In addition to Vampires, there are people with other abilities. "Sookie" (Anna Paquin) has telepathy. She works in a bar and one night a Vampire strolls in. The show takes off from there.

Below, I've listed how this show is treating Vampires. I put spoiler tags around it in case someone wants to find out for themselves.

Spoiler:
How the show treats Vampires:
1. Can't come out during day
2. Have to be "invited" in to homes
3. Harmed by silver
4. Their blood is like a drug to non-vampires -- heightens senses and seems to have METH like qualities. It is highly sought after and "some" people actively try to drain vampires in order to sell their blood.
5. I'm not yet sure how a vampire makes another in this show: Apparently, people can drink the blood and not become one (see above); can be bitten, but not become one. Only seen two episodes so I don't know how this will evolve.

[/spoiler]
Ipsa

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfos wrote:
I'm not familiar with Iron Empress. Is it a cable show? For those not too familiar with True Blood, here is a brief description:

It's on the KBS/Korean channel broadcast on Saturday/Sunday nights.
True Blood sounds interesting; don't have HBO any more. I'll have to check it out sometime.
Alternate Spideygal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love True Blood. I read the books and the show is awesome. Keep watching, cfos! It has really funny moments and is a very sexy show.

Married to Azrael.
Queen of Innuendo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
cfos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure we will. My Wiff likes them too. She said, "I thought this was how Twilight should have been." Currently, the Bloickbuster has the next set of episodes rented so we may buy the first season. I didn't know there were books -- who writes them?
Alternate Spideygal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The books are by Charlaine Harris and the first book in the series is called "Dead until Dark." It's written in first person (Which sometimes annoys me) but this story didn't scream "Mary sue!" Like Twilight does.

Married to Azrael.
Queen of Innuendo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: