Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
2005 Movies
    page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bernieh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: 2005 Movies Reply with quote

People were startin' to talk about movies so I thought I'd create a new thread here for it... carry on...
Stu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it's 1985 for me... coming up on 20 years of Bernie trying to figure me out.

Speaking of movies, this looks like an interesting summer for movies:

May: Star Wars III, Longest Yard and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

June: Cinderella Man, Batman Begins, Fun with Dick and Jane

July: War of the Worlds, Fantastic Four, Bewitched, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Dukes of Hazzard

Just some of them. Didn't say all of them are good, just some noteworthy.
Trundle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to be interested to see HHG face off against Starwars. See who hits it bigger in the box office.

My hope lies with HHG.

As Starwars has been nothing but a vast SEA of disaapointment to me these last two movies, and shows no signs of improving.
Dean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way, getting told that you're better than Seinfeld by anybody -- much less by a regularly working screenwriter -- is pretty awesome.

Of those, I am looking forward to: Episode III (sorry, I just have to); Fantastic Four (I get the feeling it'll be pretty good, really); Hitchhiker's Guide (hopefully worth the wait); Batman Begins (this seems to have everything going for it); and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (LOVED the trailer; it's gonna be so demented.) I would normally be looking forward to my former favorite show The Dukes of Hazzard, but with that Z-List cast? No.
Oliver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my fingers crossed they have the right idea for the Hitchhiker's movie. My fear is that they dumb it down to try to appeal to "everybody" or try to make it into a special effects movie. The best case I think is they get actors with some real good chemistry and just focus on the dialogue. The casting of Mos Def as Ford Prefect gives me hope.

There's no question I'm looking forward to Revenge of the Sith. The wise thing would be to try to lower my own expectations down to zero, in case it blows. But I find myself unable to do so. I'm the one watching the trailer repeatedly and giggling. Wookiees! The Vader costume! Ewan McGregor with Alec Guiness-model facial hair! Hoo.
(KHNH)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Transformers movie?
Jeez... They better have some creative casting. I think the saving grace of computer-graphics and special-effect based movies is the voice acting. I want A-List actors, dammit.
As for HHG, well, god help us all if they do go too mainstream. It might ruin the book for me forever, like the BBC miniseries almost did. Does anyone know how they'll handle "The Book"? I checked IMDB and they don't have anyone doing the voice, so I figure they've ignored it...
bernieh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars III

Sure, I'll look forward to that. I didn't care for I, and got restless during II, but it seems like III is where it's all at, what the whole prequel hoo-ha's all about. And I hear they somehow worked in Natalie Portman's strip club nude scene that was cut from Closer.

Fantastic Four

After seeing the Incredibles, I almost feel like Pixar beat the FF to the punch. I'm not sure how they can pull off Mr. Fantastic as well as they did Elasti-girl. Not to mention all the other (albeit ripped-off from Marvel) effects Pixar joyfully spat out in their awesome movie.

Harold and Kumar Go to Amsterdam

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/story/0,1259,---24186,00.html
According to the above article, Harold & Kumar are signed on for 2 sequels to "White Castle"... but whether they actually get made depends on how well the DVD sells. I will buy as many copies as is necessary to make this happen.
Dean

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And I hear they somehow worked in Natalie Portman's strip club nude scene that was cut from Closer.

Does she dance to this tune, or this one?
Stu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just briefly comment on some movies:

Hitchhiker's Guide

You can link here to see what IMDB said about Hitchhiker's. At the very worst, Adams wrote the screenplay, so if other people didn't overtinker with it, the movie should be fine.

Star Wars III

I think by this time our expectations are low enough that the movie should surprise. It is probably darker than Empire, so that may help. I think we were too psyched for Episode I that any movie short of perfection would have been a disappointed. Ep II was the "Fool Me Once, Shame on You" for expectation (although since mine weren't high anyway, I enjoyed it).

Robots (March)

First of a slew of computer animation. Others include Madagascar, Chicken Little, , Curious George, Wallace & Gromit, and Cars (already favored for the Academy Award next year)

The Ring Two (March)

Never saw The Ring, so I don't care (yet) for this.[/b]
Dean

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a cool picture from Episode III; I won't spoil it but suffice it to say that, if you want some "dark" things to happen, you will definitely get them.
Treach

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how "dark" it can get.... it's interesting how shocking things like a guy's arm getting cut off, a girl being ultimately revealed as having guy parts, and a pet rabbit being found boiling on the stove have become cliche.

Speaking of costumes, who designed Stormtrooper armor to be white and gleaming? Hoth ice planet notwithstanding, have they not grasped the concept of camouflage?
Dean

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And who taught them target practice? I mean, seriously.
Trundle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are leaving out assuredly the most rock-tastic movie in 2005.

Sin City.

For those who read the comic, you know it will surely be awesome in a way that mere mortals were not meant to understand.

And for those of you who read comics also understand that Constantine will be the worst movie ever.
Well hell even those who don't read comics can kind of call that one from a mile off.
NukeTheSiteFromOrbit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I'll always remember Daisy Duke:
as a hot brunette![/img]

or even this way http://www.narrows.com/brady/Images/daisy7.jpg (not safe for work)
Oliver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, clearly the aliens on Kamino designed the stormtroopers' basic armor scheme, where it was meant to blend in to the cold, white light of their city above the waves, where they produce not only clone troopers but also web browsers. Okay, maybe not, but when have you ever seen a stormtrooper sneaking around? They're clearly just not designed to avoid detection.

I can't help you with their blaster skills though. My theory is that as the Empire made more and more stormtroopers in the years after Episode III, they started cutting corners to create and grow them as quickly as they could, sacrificing quality for quantity. Hence the stormtroopers of the original trilogy are each much less effective than the original clones.

But then in the original movie Obi-Wan does say something about "These blast points, too accurate for sand people... only Imperial Stormtroopers could be so precise." To which I say, phhhbbt.

Okay, so I know zilch about this Sin City. Anybody wanna fill me in?
noah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
Fantastic Four (I get the feeling it'll be pretty good, really)

Unfortunately, I've heard it from someone who knows someone who knows someone on the FF set that the shoot has become a complete disaster. So... umm... probably a good time to start lowering expectations. Too bad, I thought Michael Chiklis as the Thing was great casting.
Dean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit. Do you know any details about what all is going wrong?

Re: Episode III: I guess this guy is looking forward to it.
Oliver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word is that in Hitchhiker, Marvin will be voiced by Alan Rickman... very nice.
Stu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure others can fill you in better on Sin City, including the background of the comic, but here's the movie details:

Directed by Robert Rodriguez, who resigned from DGA when they wouldn't let him put Frank Miller as co-director credit (Miller created the comic). The movie is shot in the same manner as "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" (i.e., green screen all the way).

Also has a rather large array of stars and semi-stars in the cast.

Must say, that is one visually cool trailer. Kind of like Dick Tracy wanted to be if it could have been fully green-screened.
Treach

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:

Quote:
Adds Twieden, "A lot of people say 'Get a life,' stuff like that. But I'm having the time of my life out here."

Ok, he's excited. But someone please tell me what the hell he actually does out there that's so fun.
Dean

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He must enjoy humiliation.
NukeTheSiteFromOrbit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treach wrote:
Dean wrote:

Quote:
Adds Twieden, "A lot of people say 'Get a life,' stuff like that. But I'm having the time of my life out here."

Ok, he's excited. But someone please tell me what the hell he actually does out there that's so fun.

Probably about having no job and no responsibilities. He's probably used to having no girlfriend by now.

How badly must he stink by now?
Treach

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NukeTheSiteFromOrbit wrote:
Probably about having no job and no responsibilities. He's probably used to having no girlfriend by now.

How badly must he stink by now?

He's now writing his own blog from wherever he is:

http://waitingforstarwars.blogspot.com/

Can't find anywhere where he says how he deals with stuff like showering, bathroom, and masturbation breaks.
Stu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the profile, he is an artist. Also born in the year of the monkey.

I see no future for him, excpept for a lifetime of ridicule. Although he can parlay his occupation with waiting on line into some street performace, making him more of a target.
Treach

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Sin City Reply with quote

Sin City.

Check out this motherfucking cast.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0401792/fullcredits

Then check out this motherfucking trailer.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/sin_city.html

There's this split-second shot of Alexis Bledel halfway through the trailer where she's made up like a badass. It's my dream come true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: