Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Pirates of The Caribbean: At Worlds End

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
makorules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Pirates of The Caribbean: At Worlds End Reply with quote

It was a good movie, It seemed a little like a Lord of The Rings movie because of it's length. I don't think it was up to the par Dead Man's Chest set though, and there may be another movie, so I hope they don't kill it if a 4th movie comes out Crying or Very sad .
Bloo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen it yet. Does someone get shot in the head?
Aramor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but there's flying midgets...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Bloo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That gets shot in the head?
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here we go.

Spoiler:
As far as I'm concerned, At World's End was a mixed blessing. I was underwhelmed by an overwhelming performance.

First the good stuff. In presentation, the film was amazing. The CG, music, and settings were outstanding, with the exception of the Singapore Pirate Lair. The pacing however was a little stretched at the end, the one battle in the maelstrom seems to go on forever.

The acting was all-round mind-bogglingly good. Johnny Depp once again plays Captain Jack Sparrow to utter perfection. Although I found the wit and style is now more akin to a blunt hammer, rather than the precise and delicate comedy of the first film, Sparrow still delivered laughs that made me suffocate.

Geoffrey Rush is back as Hector Barbossa, and better than ever. Rush and Depp's fantastic chemistry from the first film has returned, and the pair stole the entire show for me. The two pirates seem to have become more close and brotherly than their last meeting, but the grudge and rivalries still burns as bright as ever, leading to some of the best moments in the film. Those two actors are perfect complements to each other, I don't think there's ever been a better cohesive performance.

Will Turner has finally grown up a bit. Although he's still the noble man in shining armor as per usual for Bloom, I found the latest Turner to be the most bearable to watch. Kierra Knightly also had a similar treatment, and she's finally a truly active character in the film. In previous films she was simply an object of desire for Turner, but now she actually plays a role, albeit one of mixed importance.

Billy Nighy's Davy Jones is almost the exact same as in Dead Man's Chest, albeit he's become a far more tragic figure. We finalyl discover why he's a monster, and who he used to love. But frankly I found these revelations a bit diluting. I rather liked him being the mysterious antagonist. He's still a great antagonist (the breach between Jones and Barbossa of the first film was somewhat shortened), more villainous and wretched than earlier (an adaptation for the better), and I actually started caring about him, but he simply became too opaque to really go out shining.

The secondary cast is all right, I suppose. Nothing outstanding, other than Keith Richards (!). They are still now the bearers of gags, almost to the point of irritation. The Indian Pirate Lord (more on that later) was a frankly lame and forced joke. Keith Richards, though, oh man. He outshone Barbossa and Sparrow combined and squared. The "How's mum?" scene was by far one of the greatest moments in cinematic history. I couldn't contain myself, I started laughing so hard after the film in the middle of the theater lobby. Richards, the stylistic father of Sparrow, becoming Sparrow's actual father, was a great move on part of the producers.

And now onto the disappointments, of which there are many. First, although I understood the story on the first go (which means I probably must have a significantly higher IQ score than the Rotten Tomatoes review crew), I found it too ambitious, to put it simply.

There were so many elements that were unnecessary, the Singapore segment, and the Calypso plot line, was utterly without use or substance. For the former, the film could have gone on almost exactly the same without Chow Yun Fat and his gang of barnacled goons. And the Calypso plot line was simply annoying, useless, and bloated. We didn't need to know who Davy Jones' former lover was (it would have been better just secretly hinting the former relationship, as in Dead Man's Chest (you can see a locket of the same type as Davy Jones' in one of the earlier scenes)). The end of that plot was also exceedingly anticlimactic, Tia Dalma turns back into Calypso, becomes the 50 ft woman, and dissolves into a bunch of crabs, never to be seen again...

Barbossa's return is also explained as being resurrected by Calypso, which was frankly disappointing and uninteresting. I say that my original theory of Barbossa's survival, that he barely lived after being shot in the first film, but was able to grab a gold coin before passing entirely, would have made for a much more interesting and rational explanation.

The entire point fo the second film was that the Black Pearl was running from, fighting, and eventually being destroyed by the Kraken. I complained that in the second film, there was too much Kraken, but what happens in World's End? The Kraken is dead. Just dead. Beached. Lifeless. No point or purpose. It's as bad as the Matrix sequels (where in that case Trinity was the Kraken figure.)

The treachery interplay between characters was interesting, just as it was in the first film, but now it was done far too much. I could barely follow who was on who's side. Then again, that might have been the entire point, so I'll let that one pass.

The grossest violation was the establishment of the pirate empire, run by pirate lords, headed by a pirate king, which spans the globe and centered upon a certain Shipwreck cove. Can someone say stretch of suspension of disbelief? The fantastic and supernatural elements in Curse of the Black Pearl was very well restrained and played out, it wasn't too much of a stretch to suspend disbelief. The second film also handled that aspect well. But the third film threw all rationality and historical accuracy out the window. With pirate lords, evil corporations, fantastic beasts, a voodoo god, and a venture into the realm of the dead, the series has finally placed its foot firmly into completely romantic fantasy, rather than the more contemporary approach of it's two forebears.

The introduction of the pirate kingdom also begs the question, if Barbossa was a pirate lord, why the hell was he First Mate to another pirate lord? WTF mate?

Which leads to the film's main fault: it became too ambitious. The first film was about a few extraordinary characters carrying out their own little quest with relatively little consequence to the big picture. Now they became larger than life, fighting the good/bad fights for the fate of the world. The escapist charm of the original has been lost in a search for a Star Warsesque clone. In fact, stylistically, the PotC trilogy is very similar to both the Original and Prequel trilogies, and really suffers for it. However the end implies a sequel that will return to the original style, which I hope is going to happen.

But in the end the great performance and presentation wins out, despite flaws in narrative. At World's End was a great film, but not a great sequel.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Simon.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Sal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, me too. well, i will, once i get through all of it.

also, thanks for starting this thread, i was too lazy to do it myself.

edit: ok, i read it all. Simon is right on so many fronts.

Spoiler:
i agree wholeheartedly with what Simon said about the superfluousness of the Calypso and Sao Feng parts - totally unnecessary.
they could've at least spared us the King Kong Calypso transformation - bad taste.

the Davy Jones thing was my first and biggest objection - why did they have to bleach him? why couldn't he just remain the monstrous badass he was in the 2nd one? they basically pulled off a Darth Vader on him - which supports Simon's theory of Starwarizing the Pirates.

i didn't think about the Barbossa being a pirate lord but serving under Sparrow problem, but it's a very good point.

i actually only disagree with Simon's praise of Keith. yes, "how's mum" was terrific, but other than that, it was a rather cheap trick to me. they really didn't have a good idea for incorporating Keith into the movie, they just gave a him a Cpt. Hook costume and a guitar and let him just be there, an ornament, nothing more.

and i want to emphasize once more - Dead Man's Chest is the best of the three BY FAR. if it wasn't for this i wouldn't even bother to see the 3rd, i was so disapointed by the 1st one. so three cheers for Dead Man's Chest.
cfos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too agree with Simon's analysis although without reading rotton tomatos I'm stumpted by a few things *see below*. Overall, I found it entertaining.

Of course, riddle me this:

Spoiler:
1. Barbosa starts out (first movie) as Depp's first mate, right? If so, at what point does he become a pirate lord (with the enchanted eyeball)? He says Depp dies without every passing on his piece of eight, so how does Barbosa come across one? At least Chow names chicky captain and gives his piece of 8...

2. If chicky has the heart of Wil, couldn't she call him him whenever she wanted? Are so many people dying at sea, that Wil has no time to visit?

3. I'm uncertain of the progress of events. When was Calypso trapped? During the first meeting of the pirates? Was Davy Jones at that meeting or had he already turned into a monster? If so, wouldn't he be a pirate lord with a piece of 8? If he wasn't at that meeting and was already serving his curse, when does he tell the other pirates how to trap her?[spoiler]
Aramor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also:

Spoiler:
We see Davy Jones standing in a bucket of water, because he can't come to shore in another 10 years... can't Will and Elizabeth use that knowledge and just make whoopie in a bath tub every day?

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
makorules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL make whoopie, why doesn't he just run around hopping with a bucket of water stuck to his feet lol. Apparently theres just to many dead people, + if he did that he would become like Davy Jones.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In responce to cfos:

Spoiler:
Continuity and historical consistency are another one of At World's End's plot breaking blunders.

It is not clear if the current eight are the founders of the brethren or are but the latest generation of a their respective pirate dynasties. There had apparently never been a gathering as large as the fourth brethren court in their lifetimes, which is obviously contradictory. The use of the eyeball suggests that they are the founders, however why would Jack Sparrow have 'whoopie' (in Aramor's terms) with Tia Dalma if he knew she was the bitch queen of the oceans? Apparently from secondary sources, Jack knew Tia Dalma when he was a child (!)

And another thing I'd like to bring up: the pets. Jack the monkey & Cotton's Parrot the Parrot. They underwent the full Disney treatment by being given obviously humanoid-level intelligence. A childish and annoying attempt to being in the under 13 crowd? I don't think so, with all the stabbing, blood, rum, Jack's hallucinations (shrooms r bad 4 u lol), etc. The only case I know of in film where a non-primary character animal actually contributed positively to the film by being given anthromorphic traits is Archimedes from The Sword In The Stone, but onyl because he was named Archimedes, was badass, and had more brains than my Physics teacher.

And I defend my statement about Keith Richard. Sure he may have been an ornament but he was like the kind of ornaments Teh Digit puts on his Christmas tree... or would put on his Christmas tree if he celebrated Christmas. I thought it was a great cameo.

And a note to all people who think Turner should have come back a little more often than every 10 years. First off, we don't know if that's really how long it took. for all we know, he did visit periodically, and Liz could have just come onto the boat or something. Or they could have made whoopie in a tub. Or even that stuff about not being able to walk on land might have only applied to Davy Jones because of his corruption, or indeed be entirely bogus, or even be released of that curse by Calypso or some other power he could encounter as the world's new Phlegyas.
And finally, even if all of those ideas don't hold, I'd love to see you try to go around the world ferrying dead souls all around the world. Don't you realize just how difficult it would be to pick up all the dead people? You'd have to go all around the globe, recovering an uncountable number of people, in all sorts of places, many of whom will likely not be content to be dragged along, all the while keeping a low profile. Not to mention all the souls Davy Jones neglected to guide.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiera Knightley fit a gun up her ass in the beginning sequence...
Sal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but that's not the only thing we love her for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: