Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Wait, Simon's getting interested in MMOs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Video games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Wait, Simon's getting interested in MMOs? Reply with quote

I think I've already given my thoughts on WoW: good game (wouldn't know) that's gotten too much of the market share (like, way too much) and fucked up the Warcraft lore big time (pretty much unforgivable, imo. I loved Warcraft 3.).

So for the longest time I just never thought I could like an MMO. Thought (still do) that it'd just be a massive time sink that I'd a) have to keep paying for, b) would spend mostly grinding myself retarded, and c) ultimately wouldn't have any sense of accomplishment since when the world is not static it's up to me to rid it of 10 Red Frenzied Raked Nole Mats or something. And when the offering was basically either WoW (or it's many, many clones) or one of the many Korean Pantyshot Grindfests like Lineage 2... So yeah, coming across not just one, but three MMO's that piqued my interest is... interesting. I heard of the titles I'm going to mention later before, though only recently began taking a closer look (usually cause lately coverage from PAX seems to be dominating a lot of the sites I visit ). And I must say, I'm actually rather impressed.

Of course the big one is Guild Wars 2. I mean, not only is the design gorgeous, the setting epic, and the gameplay just... well... You got my drift. And oh yeah. No subscription fees. I think I'm pretty much sold here. I also think it's a really, really good sign when the devs are this excited when talking about their game. (skip to 5:55) (Vid also starts with an amusing rant on FF14.)

There's also SW: The Old Republic. I mean it's Star Wars from Bioware. The same Bioware who made the best Star Wars game of all time. Twice. Unfortunately there may be problems with this project. To summarize a) it's EA's most expensive project to date, b) they're going to need 1 million subscribers just to break even, and c) it apparently played like a WoW clone. That last one is what worries me. It sounds like Warhammer Online all over again. But they're promising story, and that's what Bioware does best. I really, really hope this game succeeds cause if it doesn't then I'm not sure what'll happen to the ME and DA franchises...

Lastly there's T.E.R.A. Yeah, yeah, I know what you're thinking: "I thought you said you weren't interested in Korean Pantyshot Grindfests?". No I'm not. Much. But the gameplay is not turn-based. Apparently it's more like a console action game, and really, I'm interested in that. Also, playable panda/racoon people.

So yeah. Any of you folks be willing to hook up sometime when these come out?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely thinking of the Old Republic one. I'm just a huge sucker for SW and like you said, if it's more of KOTOR, in any form, I'm game.
But I never tried MMOing before so I don't even know how to get around to it (possibly buy the game first), also this sort of fun entails stuff like, you know, time and money (way too much of each), and I can't say this isn't an obstacle, at least at this point in time.
Still, if there ever was an MMO I could seriously consider, it's SW. cuz it's like fekkin' star wars, dood.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I mentioned that Guild Wars won't have any subscription fees. Buy the box, play the game whenever, no obligations.

In related news, Haah haah haah hahaha ha hah haha oh eeh eeh uhuh huh oh heh huh uhuh... And I thought -my- jokes were bad...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard LOTR online is pretty cool. If you play a minstrel class you can actually play Funky Town on your instrument.
Bloo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runescape

I heard it's actually pretty fun now.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've actually tried a TERA beta event some time ago. It happened to be marching repeatedly from point A's to point B's collecting a ton of drops* along the way whilst resolutely ignoring the plot**. But I was doing so as a fluffy panda with a Big Fucking Sword. It's a pretty game, but I found it seriously lacking in substance.

I've got another pass to another Tera beta event this weekend so I may try it out again and see if I can get further. On the other hand, I also have a GW2 beta event I'm itching to try out that weekend.

So yeah. Tera's kinda lame and I'm gonna try out GW2. I'll get back to you to tell you how it goes.

* At least drops in the starting zone were 100%.
**What little there is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Video games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: