Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Why $60 is NOT a lot of money
    page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Utter B.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cfos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Why $60 is NOT a lot of money Reply with quote

Due to recent debate on a different thread, I though I'd create a post here describing in detail why $60 is not a lot of money. Ok, before I begin, if you DO think it is a lot -- then you have no imagination and should obviously leave this thread.

SteP 1: Get a credit card.
Step 2: Understand that credit is not a freedom pass to get everything you want, rather, it is a responsibility. Creating a credit history at an early age is good. I think I got my first credit card around age 16.
Step 3: PAY YOUR BILL, ENTIRELY. I have NEVER had a balance on any credit card. Last time I had my credit checked my score was a 783. If you don't know whether that is a good score -- ask you parents (this applies mostly to Americans -- I'm not sure how credit is judged in other countries).

Are you still with me?

Here comes the money-shot:

Step 4: Understand that at some point, the account rolls over and begins a new month. Let's arbitrarily assign that time to the 24th of every month. So, you have a credit card today and everything you charge will comprise a bill, up until the 24th. On the 24th, your statement is mailed to you. Every charge made after the 24th is on the next bill -- you may have to check with your credit card company or the business you are charging at for the charge depends on when the store reports it and what the specific time on the 24th, charges are counted.

Step 5: Buy your game on the 25th. Assuming you charged something earlier in the month (e.g. gasoline/petrol) you will receive a bill, likely around a week or so and will have to pay it by, oh I don't know 2-3 weeks. Let's say the 21st of the following month.

Do you see the logic here? Buying the game on the 25th allows you nearly 2 months of time to generate $60. Can you spare 1$ a day? Or is that asking too much? What if I asked you to spare $2/day?

GRANTED, you may need a checking account for this to work. But seriously, if you work or get money at Christmas, instead of blowing it at McDonalds, put it in an account and grow up.

Edit: Assuming you REALLY become strapped, you can (likely) open a new credit card and transfer the balance to the new card -- which may offer (generally) 6 months of no-interest financing on transfered charges. Part of me regrets saying this because someone will think they can pull a pyramid scheme. In the end, though, they will be affected for years to come. And should that day come, ask yourself -- is $60 still a lot of money?
Digitaaliklosetti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60bux feeds me for a week. So yeah.
cfos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_Says wrote:
/bras_dhonneur.exe

When one only gets ~300 a month and has monthly payments over 400, one does find that $60 tends to become rather big.

Well, I can't argue with that position. I've been there. I also realized that I needed to prioritize and do without so I would, someday, be in a better position. Having said that, if you already have the above understanding posted above... then how are you going to afford the price of downloadable stuff? I mean, on the xbox it generally costs around $12 (minimum) for something decent. If you start out in the hole down 100, cost is moot, yes? Mebbie get a better paying job or a 2nd one. It is all checks and balances. Sure, you may have to give up time and other social things, but seriously, get used to it. Otherwise, you will be sorely disappointed with adulthood.
Aramor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60 bucks keeps me smoking for 2 weeks.

But I think you should also take a look at what you spend the 60 bucks on. 60 bucks for a movie that came out 2 years ago is a lot of money. 60 bucks for a trilogy DVD of a movie that came out recently, packed with lots of goodies like Behind the Scenes, Deleted Scenes, Interviews, Making offs etc etc is cheap. Or something like that.

Also, I don't really understand the whole credit card thing. Maybe I should look into that.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
cfos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor wrote:
60 bucks keeps me smoking for 2 weeks.

But I think you should also take a look at what you spend the 60 bucks on. 60 bucks for a movie that came out 2 years ago is a lot of money. 60 bucks for a trilogy DVD of a movie that came out recently, packed with lots of goodies like Behind the Scenes, Deleted Scenes, Interviews, Making offs etc etc is cheap. Or something like that.

Also, I don't really understand the whole credit card thing. Maybe I should look into that.

I suppose you could take a look at what it is spent on, although that is going to be a subjective debate.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This of course ignores the fact that one can have a piss-poor income, where necessities gobble up most of what one earns.

I don't have the time slots to work more hours. Yes, I am looking for a better job with more pay. No, I'm not wasting my cash on fast-food bullshit. Yes, I've been good with my credit record. But that doesn't change the fact that I'm an untrained, inexperienced worker. I'm near the bottom rung of the labor force. I'm financially fucked. I'll be financially fucked for a while yet. And guess what, even when the situation improves, 60 will still be a lot for me.

/bras_dhonneur.exe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when games used to be ten dollars less. That seemed a whole lot more affordable for some reason.
cfos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_Says wrote:
This of course ignores the fact that one can have a piss-poor income, where necessities gobble up most of what one earns.

I don't have the time slots to work more hours. Yes, I am looking for a better job with more pay. No, I'm not wasting my cash on fast-food bullshit. Yes, I've been good with my credit record. But that doesn't change the fact that I'm an untrained, inexperienced worker. I'm near the bottom rung of the labor force. I'm financially fucked. I'll be financially fucked for a while yet. And guess what, even when the situation improves, 60 will still be a lot for me.

/bras_dhonneur.exe

Simmer down, nah.

mkay?

You can have 5th avenue eyes when you live somewhere off the Jersey turnpike. Rolling Eyes

You are 18, as you said. Deal with it. I didn't even have a computer or a video game system when I went off to college. Yet somehow, I got by. Be happy you have a game you enjoy and nevermind how green the grass is at the neighbors. I really thought you were kinda above that, to be honest. Those of us that picked a career with decent earning potential can spare $60 (in the future). Those of us that may have followed our "dreams" because "THAT" is what they wanted to do... well, all y'all shouldn't have anything to complain about, right? Since you are sooooo in love with what you do and have no need for material comfort. Wink

Last edited by cfos on Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aramor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfos wrote:
I suppose you could take a look at what it is spent on, although that is going to be a subjective debate.

Yeah, true. I always say something can cost a lot of money, or something can be expensive.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfos wrote:
bafflingly confrontational posts

I am Jack's unexpectedly dead rat control group.

I have a credit card, pay the balance off every month and I still think 60 bucks is a lot of money. As Digit said, there's a week's eating in that.

Master Chainsaw wrote:
Aurelyn becomes enraged by imbecilic displays of illiteracy, as is his wont.

Simon_Says wrote:
Sal would know. He stole many jobs from guys named Shaun.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I give up even talking to cfos.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, everybody hold hands and be nice to each other. I mean it!

(You know, when I became moderator, Sal said he feared this was what I would force you all to do. Imagine, it took me all those years to finally get there!)

But seriously, knock it off.

And no pointing fingers or saying he did this or that first, I'm not even going to give the question who started it or has behaved the most irritating a serious thought.

Just knock it off.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, there's such a short gap between "Just knock it off." and "JUST LICK THE PIG!"...

Last edited by Simon_Says on Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
cfos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure
Azrael

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloo wrote:
I remember when games used to be ten dollars less. That seemed a whole lot more affordable for some reason.

Inflation.

I am a student of concept design, I have a side-job that gives me small hours but decent pay. My whole life schedule has been radically adjusted recently, it feels weird not having abrupt leaves, but so far I am doing okay. I work alot during the day and my nights are for recreation and sleep. I only sleep for 4-5 hours due to problems I have, but that's okay, I feel it's enough and I still go through the day fine. I really only play my 360 at night, late at night, it can go up to 2-3 hours. I do not have to play every day, and I do not play every day, just when the mood strikes me (which is actually quite often). If I want to buy a game, I save money, I save ahead of time and I make tough decisions on what I want to buy. If there is a game I want but I do not have the money to spare, that's too bad, but I'll buy it later. Sometimes I make poor decisions on what I buy, and I regret it, so I try to void doing that again.
That's how I roll.

Simon, your opinion follows a chorus of thousands, but don't be disappointed if your expectations are not met. As community-driven as Valve is, they still want to make money. If you do not like the idea of Left 4 Dead 2, then don't buy it. Keep playing Left 4 Dead, I'm sure you still enjoy playing it, and if the other fans are as passionate as you, I'm sure you will find plenty of players still playing the first game well after the release of it's sequel.

You did not have to out yourself and announce your financial situation over an arguement like this. We are talking about a video game, and the purpose of a video game is to have fun. It's okay that you are uncomfortable about L4D2, I too think that it's quite early, but I still support it.

And cfos, stop pestering the boy, he is just trying state his opinion.

Married to SpideyGirl.
Sal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cfos: one thing i don't understand is why you keep implying that one can basically be either some sort of cartoonized, free-living hippy or a tough responsible working class hero. aren't there any in-betweens in your world?
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cartoonized responsible free-living hippy?

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Simon_Says wrote:
cfos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alias wrote:
@cfos: one thing i don't understand is why you keep implying that one can basically be either some sort of cartoonized, free-living hippy or a tough responsible working class hero. aren't there any in-betweens in your world?

I feel this thread isn't necessarily along those lines rather it is an example of how $60 isn't a lot of money. Since I've been politely asked to simmer down nah, understand that my language will be tempered.

Having said that, I don't think I imply that at all. Rather, if we want to talk about dictomies, I would break down the people in my world into two classes (if we are only dealing with a possible world of two classes -- for the argument's sake) -- those that take responsibility for the lives and those that feel entitled to their lives. To speak in terms you will clearly understand:

"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?"

Now, the former class I define understands the above statement, the later does not. The problem, as I see it, is that the latter group lacks vision. They want their pudding right now and damned if they don't deserve their pudding served in a crystal bowl. The former group takes into account outlying factors not only beyond their control but also beyond the knowledge that they are privvy to. Also, the former group understands that there will likely be pudding at some later date or they may have to readjust their priorities in order to have pudding, which may mean going without something... maybe even going without that something for a long time. If what I've described is your defination of a hippy, so be it.

Last edited by cfos on Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfos wrote:
Alias wrote:

I feel this thread isn't necessarily along those lines rather it is an example of how $60 isn't a lot of money. Since I've been politely asked to simmer down nah, understand that my language will be tempered.

Having said that, I don't think I imply that at all. Rather, if we want to talk about dichotomies, I would break down the people in my world into two classes (if we are only dealing with a possible world of two classes -- for the argument's sake) -- those that take responsibility for the lives and those that feel entitled to their lives. To speak in terms you will clearly understand:

Now, the former class I define understands the above statement, the latter does not. If what I've described is your definition of a hippy, so be it.

Razz

I'm still not sure how you got from someone thinking that 60 bucks is a lot of money to accusing them of feeling entitled to their life.

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Simon_Says wrote:
Sal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfos wrote:
To speak in terms you will clearly understand:

"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?".

thank you for stooping down to my cognitive level.

Aurelyn wrote:
A cartoonized responsible free-living hippy?

my life's ambition.

Last edited by Sal on Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
cfos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's because you were too busy correcting typos. I was responding to Sal.

Edit: BTW, YOUR move, yeah you heard me. Wink

IT IS ON! Laughing
Munan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it is off. Definitely.

cfos wrote:

You do realise, don't you, that on the record that made that line famous, this sentence is uttered by a despicable character.
cfos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munan wrote:
No, it is off. Definitely.

cfos wrote:

You do realise, don't you, that on the record that made that line famous, this sentence is uttered by a despicable character.

Munan, I was refering to a game of chess with Aurelyn. Funny when you enter into a conversation without a point of reference, yes? Or are you also moderating whether or not we continue a game of chess? I think I agree with Simon's characterization of your "moding" Laughing Now, if Aurelyn wants to tell me it is off, that is a different story. Of course, I doubt he expends much mental capacity in our matches. Crying or Very sad Laughing

Yes, I do. Just because a person or cartoon may be dispicable (arrogant or European Wink ), are you going to throw out everything said? Just look at your signature, for Christ's sake. Laughing
Aramor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfos wrote:
Just because a person or cartoon may be dispicable (arrogant or European Wink )

If it wasn't for the wink, I'd flame you so hard your grandchildren will be used to roast marshmallows Razz

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Bloo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azreal wrote:
Inflation.

Unprobable.

You know, I was going to post a picture, but it's gotten too intense in here and I'm afraid of the kind of responses I'd get.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Utter B.S. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: