Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Enemy of the State

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cfos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Enemy of the State Reply with quote

This weekend was a free Starz weekend from DirecTV. Anyway, watching a few movies and this one was one of the older ones they were showing (1998). It suddenly struck me as a very odd movie from the casting perspective. A lot of comedy talent... but it isn't a comedy. Jason Lee of Kevin Smith movies and My name is Earl... Jack Black plays a computer guy and Seth Green... also a computer guy. And Will Smith, of course. Sure, Will has some drama acting chops nowadays, but according to a web search his prior movies included Bad Boys (1995), Independence Day (1996) and Men in Black (1997). Sure, there may have been some "drama" in these movies, but Enemy is surely his most "dramatic" of these films, IMO. Anyway, got me thinking -- can anyone name another movie where you find actors playing roles they wouldn't normally? Sure, this movie came out early in many of the respective peoples' careers, but name another similar one...
Aramor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rock in Be Cool as a gay bodyguard with a nice pink baseball bat?

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
cfos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, you can say that about ALL movies featuring the "Rock". Laughing

We actually couldn't finish watching "Be Cool". I was going for more than just one actor/tress. That movie had a good deal of talent that had played those kinds of rolls.

Edit: Enemy also had a small role for Jamie Kennedy (also known for comedy)
Aramor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright... how about the Jackall, with Bruce Willis as a merc as opposed to the alcoholic police/ex-army dude or something and Jack Black as a gunsmith type guy.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Blaster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't a movie, but, in retrospect, I sometimes get a kick out of the idea that "Larry" Fishburne used to be Cowboy Curtis on Pee Wee's Playhouse.
cfos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor wrote:
Alright... how about the Jackall, with Bruce Willis as a merc as opposed to the alcoholic police/ex-army dude or something and Jack Black as a gunsmith type guy.

Hmmm... I'd agree if it were, say Bruce's first movie after Moonlighting or Blind Date. But, the Jackal was in 1997 and Bruce had done several diverse movies play a few diverse rolls -- Things like Pulp Fiction (1994), 12 Monkeys (1995) The Last Boyscout (1991) and the Die Hard movies. He also did 5th Element around that time, and did Tears from the Sun where he plays, what I consider a merc role. The problem with Bruce is that he has done a heck of a lot. I'm thinking more like Phillip Seymour Hoffman playing a villian in Mission Impossible 3. I mean, up until that point, I think Phil was a supporting actor and played some comedic roles or Capote (which isn't exactly an action-y movie). Like what Blaster did with Larry. Or IF let's say Levar Burton was cast to play Shaft. What struck me most about Enemy is the unlikely casting of many people in roles you wouldn't suspect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: