Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
The "new" RPGs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Video games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cfos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: The "new" RPGs Reply with quote

Ok, I get it. None of the previous RPGs had kids. Now all of them do. Fable II has kids and you start as one. Fallout 3? You start as a baby. Yup, a baby.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what this topic is about, since the title doesn't tell jack squat. But on the subject of children in video games, are they killable? If so then it's about time the people behind the ratings started easing up on the censorship. Child killing is something that should be allowed in games, but definitely behind an M rating.

If not, well it's still high time. Although I was never really bothered by it I did find Oblivion's general lack of not just children, but families, a little strange. Almost everyone was single in the Cyrodiil. Well I guess it explains why a provinces' entire civilian population totaled at about 1000 or so.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty, one of my least important but biggest peeves with Oblivion was that the morality of the whole place and the legal system was all out of wack.

You murder someone and you spend a week in jail or pay a couple hundred gold? You murder the guards trying to arrest you and they tack on a couple hundred more gold? Seriously? If murdering children was even possible, would you even get life sentence in Oblivion?

Anywho, that's neither here nor there: Child killing.

I really think that in a mature game with realistic and mature aspects of good and evil, killing children is acceptable (in a game). Personally, I think killing children is easily one of the worst things a human being is capable of and should be treated as such in games, never glorified or taken lightly, even in the world of a electronic entertainment.

And god would it piss some people off if they had children dying in games...
-- Zapp Brannigan
Aramor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallout 1 and 2 had kids.

You needed special patches in Europe though to see them...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
cfos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_Says wrote:
I have no idea what this topic is about, since the title doesn't tell jack squat. But on the subject of children in video games, are they killable? If so then it's about time the people behind the ratings started easing up on the censorship. Child killing is something that should be allowed in games, but definitely behind an M rating.

If not, well it's still high time. Although I was never really bothered by it I did find Oblivion's general lack of not just children, but families, a little strange. Almost everyone was single in the Cyrodiil. Well I guess it explains why a provinces' entire civilian population totaled at about 1000 or so.

The title is very descriptive. It is describing aspects of the "new" RPGs. Fable II and Fallout 3. Hell, you could even throw in Force Unleashed, even though it is considered an "action-RPG". It seems that all the new ones are including some kids or a child sequence.

As for your ratings rant. I'm over 30, if I want a game, I buy it. I don't care to check the rating.

I guess I could have also included toliets -- both Fable II and FO3 have them.
Azrael

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in Fable II, the children can be targteted with the safety off, but even then they are not highlighted red, so they can't be killed, I know, I tried...

There are several games where you can kill children already, but there aren't many of them. I remember you can kill children in the first two Fallout games, you even get branded "Child Killer" for doing so, and the karma meter gets upset. I have not yet encountered children in Fallout 3, so I can't say for sure yet.

Married to SpideyGirl.
cfos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are kids-a-plenti in Fallout 3. In fact, you can unlock a "perk" that allows you to talk to them "better" -- open up new dialogue. Forgot what it is called. Focusing (myself) on "gun-nut" and a few others.
Aramor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me of playing Fallout II with a very low intelligence. There's this one character that's normally very dumb when you talk to him, but with a low int, you talk just like him, you can't do 75% of the quests, but if you talk to that guy, there's like this hyper intelligent conversation.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quotes would be nice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Ooooh! Butunz!"
--The Chosen One

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Satan Crime Wash

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor© wrote:
Fallout 1 and 2 had kids.

You needed special patches in Europe though to see them...

I guess you'd have to un-patch them to Ver. 1.0? The European release was version 1.2 wasn't it? Hence the abrupt introduction of Dogmeat.

Aramor© wrote:
That reminds me of playing Fallout II with a very low intelligence.

Wub?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Chainsaw wrote:
I guess you'd have to un-patch them to Ver. 1.0? The European release was version 1.2 wasn't it? Hence the abrupt introduction of Dogmeat.

The Fallout Children Patch actually consisted off the sprites for the children. The stupid thing was, the children were in the game, but without graphics. So, every now and then I saw floating text. Especially in New Reno, with the Wright family. I was walking through their house and all of a sudden I saw floating text at the end of the hall, saying "Come play with us... forever!!!"

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor© wrote:
"Come play with us... forever!!!"
So that's why you were arrested...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor© wrote:
Master Chainsaw wrote:

The Fallout Children Patch actually consisted off the sprites for the children. The stupid thing was, the children were in the game, but without graphics. So, every now and then I saw floating text. Especially in New Reno, with the Wright family. I was walking through their house and all of a sudden I saw floating text at the end of the hall, saying "Come play with us... forever!!!"

I've encountered one child scenario in Fallout 3 (spoiler below):

Spoiler:
There is one side quest where a town is attacked by giant fire ants and he begs you to do something about it (and find his father). Well, Daddy's dead and after killing a bunch of ants you are left with a choice -- let the kid stay (likely die) or try to find him a foster relative.

My guess is that there will be kids in Euro versions as they form a large part of the current game.
Satan Crime Wash

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor© wrote:

Hence the Dogmeat thing. There was a kid running around with him before the patch who explained why the dog was following you. Something like that, anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no clue what y'all are talking about. Can someone explain this "dogmeat" stuff? I imagine it is more than just killing a dog and getting "dogmeat".
Satan Crime Wash

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a dog follower in Fallout called Dogmeat. People have a tremendous affection for his suicidal charges into laser force fields, and his massive AP score. He was very useful for harassing the enemy. Saved my life once when he knocked over a Super Mutant with a critical hit, just as Mutie-boy was about to finish me off.

There's a dog follower in F3, too, but I haven't got him yet. The only follower I've met so far is Jericho, and he doesn't like me because I'm not evil.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogmeat is like every real Fallout player's wet dream.

Just like Ian, except he's the exact opposite. He kept shooting you in the back and stuff and it has actually become a sport on the NMA forum to think up creative and evil ways to kill him.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Video games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: