Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Left4Dead
    page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Video games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, back to the original subject, I tried out the L4D demo. So far it's actually meeting my high expectations. A lot of the zombie A.I. could be improved, since it was possible to move past their swarming paths and just pick em as they ran by, but other than that it's been an awesome ride. Strangely the only real challenged was expert difficult, mostly because me team mates were usually idiots with no sense of self preservation or grenade sense.

You throw the pipe bomb at the fucking police car, people.

Also most people tend to just go for their favorite weapons, instead of what's best for the team. For example, everyone but my took the snipers. You can't do shit with that except long range clearing. A good team uses a shotgun or two, a sniper, and an automatic weapon such as the sub-machine or the assault. Or two automatics with only one shotty. You can even forgo the sniper if you want. But for the love of God don't stack the weapons any one way. Still, it's nice that people actually try to come to your rescue and help you out even when you don't ask.

I already listed my steamid on the steam thread, so if you want to find me, that's how.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, I hate online snipe-boys. Nothing says "useless dead-weight" in a team game like they do.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Chainsaw wrote:
God, I hate online snipe-boys. Nothing says "useless dead-weight" in a team game like they do.

Not if they're in reasonable numbers and they're good at what they do.

Trust me, I've seen snipers absolutely decimate enemies in team games.

The problem isn't the class; it's that it's just damned hard to learn, and because it's glamorous, a lot of people set out to learn it and suck for quite a while before they get the hang of it.

I tried playing "sniper" recon on battlefield 2142 a while back, and worked at it...god, there are few things more devilishly difficult than that. Never got the hang of that; I've managed to do relatively well as Sniper in TF2, but I'm still FAR from an expert.
Satan Crime Wash

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Reasonable" numbers is the operative word. Losing on 2fort because a balcony full of pillocks is doing nothing of merit at all except boost their own stats gets old fast.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Chainsaw wrote:
"Reasonable" numbers is the operative word. Losing on 2fort because a balcony full of pillocks is doing nothing of merit at all except boost their own stats gets old fast.

Oh, believe me, I know.

That's generally when I switch teams and start playing spy... Laughing
Azrael

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Sad

Married to SpideyGirl.
Satan Crime Wash

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, no offence, Az. Too many years of Gears, I guess. "Let me get snipe" = I can't shoot for shit. Not to mention all the aimbotters on PC games.

TheARRGH wrote:
That's generally when I switch teams and start playing spy... Laughing

Hey, it never hurts to know where your former allies/new enemies have put their sentries. Razz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I never, ever, had a problem with aimbotters. Asshole admins with noclip, yes, but no aimbots.

I'm with ARRGH on the sniper issue, if the sniper is good at actually helping out the team instead of sitting around collecting points, then they are an invaluable asset. Granted the vast majority can't shoot anything except another zoomed-in sniper, and such people should either actually try to learn how to snipe, or just go as something else so I can teach them how it's done.

I don't think I'm too bad as sniper, as long as my hands are not cold (they often lose blood for some reason when I'm playing, makes sniping impossible). But I remember what my fucking job is: precision elimination of threats to my team. I will not sit and wait for other snipers to walk onto my dot, I'll relocate often and try to make my team's life easier.

As for L4D, sniping in that game is actually surprisingly... easy? No... retarded. Take a sub-machine, crouch, and you can snipe. Seriously. I swear the game actually helps players with head shots.

More AI issues with the zombies. They swarm at exactly the wrong moments, such as when we're already on the bottom floor and they're climbing up to the next floor. They also sometimes don't react to bullets in their fucking skull, by dieing or even acknowledging the hole. "It's only a flesh wound! 'Tis but a scratch!" They also don't respond to gunshot noises, though perhaps for understandable reasons, but they don't respond to their buddies being picked off one by one around them. Some don't even acknowledge human presence until they're within hugging distance.

The game is almost done, but the AI needs a ton of work. I hope Valve makes a last-minute delay to patch up that patchy AI.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_Says wrote:
Actually I never, ever, had a problem with aimbotters. Asshole admins with noclip, yes, but no aimbots.

Because I work nights, I used to play TF2 at a time when there's no-one around adminning. I've seen shitloads of wallhacking aimbot snipers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I tried it. It's decent. I might give the 360 demo a try also, just to see if the movement controls are less clunky. I like the sense of weight and physicality to it all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for retard sniping, I like the feel of the game too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy diver that game is fun. Semi-auto shotgun ftw!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had fun with Simon and Chainsaw.

We tried Expert, and got destroyed 3 times before we were able to reach the bottom of the building. :C

T'was good times.
Azrael

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Chainsaw wrote:
Simon_Says wrote:

Because I work nights, I used to play TF2 at a time when there's no-one around adminning. I've seen shitloads of wallhacking aimbot snipers.

Oh I am a genuine headshot honcho. And in the words of Yahtzee, it's a big "point and click adventure game" for us. Smile

But I actually am better with a controller than I am with a mouse and keyboard. no rly
And most people would certainly say I am a "gifted" marksman with a real rifle.

Married to SpideyGirl.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azrael wrote:
But I actually am better with a controller than I am with a mouse and keyboard.
Private Mango, I don't believe I heard you correctly! You little maggot! You make me want to vomit! You goddamn communist heathen, you had best sound off that you play better with the mouse and keyboard... or I'm gonna stomp your guts out! Now you do play better with the mouse and keyboard, don't you?!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REGRET wrote:
I had fun with Simon and Chainsaw.

We tried Expert, and got destroyed 3 times before we were able to reach the bottom of the building. :C

That first time where we got completely destroyed in about two minutes and kept shooting each other by accident was my favourite. I couldn't revive anyone because I was paralysed with laughter.

Simon_Says wrote:
Private Mango, I don't believe I heard you correctly! You little maggot! You make me want to vomit! You goddamn communist heathen, you had best sound off that you play better with the mouse and keyboard... or I'm gonna stomp your guts out! Now you do play better with the mouse and keyboard, don't you?!

He probably inverts his Y Axis too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Chainsaw wrote:
Simon_Says wrote:

He probably inverts his Y Axis too.

No , Sir! It's a condition I was born with, runs in the family! I was made fun of in school because of that, but like soldier, I adapted!

And my conition aint that bad to unvert the Y axis! I pity for the poor souls who have it that bad...

Edit: messed up the coding

Married to SpideyGirl.

Last edited by Azrael on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Carlo Sandiego

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got da Demo.

And...Apparently my display driver is out of date, and the ATI Radeon website WON'T LET ME DOWNLOAD THE UPDATED DRIVER SAYS I "DON'T HAVE AUTHORITY TO ACCESS THE DOWNLOAD PAGE. IT IS SO ON!! AND SO IS CAPSLOCK!!

ehem. Yeah, that pretty much sums up my experiences so far. But I have the demo, and hope to work through this issue soon.
Satan Crime Wash

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have any problems downloading the updated driver, the ATI website is probably just being a tart. Give it a while and they'll fix it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the demo with my nephew. Everything went so quickly, and there really wasn't much time to do any thinking; it didn't seem to involve much skill.

Of course, the fact that I was playing splitscreen really made it hard to see what was going on.
Nron

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Chainsaw wrote:

I take offence!

Im a born sniper and by god zombie or not I still manage to make a head shots no matter what the circumstances!

arrgh is right though. reasonable sniper numbers are helpful IF and ONLY IF they have a fucking clue what they are doing. Ive already made a body count of 64 zombies in one wave. and thats just for that wave Razz

Anyway sniping is just a god given thing ive always had. My dad was a sniper for the Marines so i guess i got it from him.

Digitaaliklosetti wrote:
...so I could grab at those loose, flappy leathery parts on her arms and pretend that, together, we are Batman....
Satan Crime Wash

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the 360 version has smaller hordes, and the sensitivity of the aiming is pretty damn low by default. So much so that there's a 180 degree turn button. PC version is way better.

I'd rather Valve supported consoles more. It would make them richer, and even more self sufficient.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only game where I'm a "sniper boy" is Halo 3, where I'm actually pretty good. I never snipe in other games because I'm not one to let my team down on purpose. I just hate it when other people grab the sniper rifle, waste the ammo on someone, only to die himself by the very person he was trying to shoot.
Azrael

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, enough about snipers.

Left4Dead felt really empty on the 360 version compared to the PC version. But I still had fun on both versions, even though I did better on the console than my PC. I'm personally fond of Lois, since he looks somewhat proffesional in a tie.

Married to SpideyGirl.
Nron

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Chainsaw wrote:
So the 360 version has smaller hordes, and the sensitivity of the aiming is pretty damn low by default. So much so that there's a 180 degree turn button. PC version is way better.

I'd rather Valve supported consoles more. It would make them richer, and even more self sufficient.

true the 360 just isnt a good platform for FPS. The PC has always dominated in that field. its just easier and faster with a mouse and keyboard than with a controler

Digitaaliklosetti wrote:
...so I could grab at those loose, flappy leathery parts on her arms and pretend that, together, we are Batman....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Video games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: