Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
What's Your Innovative Idea?
    page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Video games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: What's Your Innovative Idea? Reply with quote

Video games are becoming more and more boring and uninspired. Graphics rule supreme. Almost every shooter on the market is basing their formula on Halo. Racing games haven't changed in years. Strategy games are a dying breed. Every single MMORPG ever is trying to be World of Warcraft, down to the golden exclamation marks.

This is an industry in crisis. This is an industry in desperate need of fresh ideas. So I made this thread to ask you: what ideas would you like to see at least tried out in the video games of tomorrow? They don't need to be grand, they don't need to be necessarily new ("Get rid of quick-time events." is perfectly valid.). It doesn't need to be placed within any particular genre, or even any genre. They just need to be capable of improving game experiences.

Maybe somewhere, some video game developer or exec will look at this thread and think to themselves "Hrm, that's a good idea!" and get it into a new game. Chances are slim, but we can dream can't we?

So without further introduction, my first idea:

Have more than two factions to choose from in competitive action games.

Throughout the ages since Quack Arena and Unreal Tournament the only teams we have ever been able to select have been Red and Blue or Terrorist and Counter-Terrorist or whatever. While the premise makes for good machinima, it has grown very old, and very dull. Join red, kill blue. Join blue, kill red. Strategy games long, loooong ago had the sense to allow players to group themselves into multiple teams, resulting in a slew of interesting scenarios besides "one team is winning, the other losing." Why can't we have a proper team death match, with a dozen teams of two or three?

Notice that teams don't have to separated by colour distinctions. Unreal Tournament would be a perfect candidate. Between thunder crash, aliens, robots, necris, juggernauts, etc. there's more than enough variety to host actual multi-team matches. Halo could also apply, with Spartans vs. Elites vs. Brutes.

We have technology to make it happen, so why hasn't it happened yet? Team Fortress was great despite having only RED and BLU. Imagine how greater it could be if it was RED, BLU, YLO, GRN, etc.

Last edited by Simon_Says on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
cfos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I don't know that I agree with the comment about the industry being in a crisis. Nor do i agree with the idea that "racing" games haven't changed since "ever". Racing games have changed. I remember playing games like Pole Position on the Atari (2600). I remember "Auto Racing" on the intellivision. I remember, "Excite Bike" on the Nintendo (I don't know what generation y'all refer to it, but it didn't have super or other adjectives). Nowadays, there are wheel controllers, actual cars with stats, actual race tracks, actual cities to drive through (or all of the Big Island of Hawaii) and options for painting and modding. There is online racing against other players. You can trade cars. There is graphic representation of damage to the vehicle and it can have consequences (e.g. Forza). I think some games even allow you to design your own course. Yeah, I get what you are saying, there hasn't been a "major" advance in what 2-3 years? Somehow, I doubt that THAT qualifies as "ever".
cfos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I haven't played those other games you describe. I'm not really into games for the "team player" component. Sure, I'll play one-on-one, but that is even rare. I'll play the shooter games, but I don't think I get into them as much as others. I thought Halo and GoW were somewhat distinct in how they played. I also liked Perfect Dark Zero and Duck Hunt (Nintendo) -- both of which had a different scenario that Halo or GoW.

I do, however, agree with what you cited as a downfall of Oblivion -- that the world bent to the character, unlike Morrowind, where there were spots that were leveled regardless of your character. On the other hand, once you hit, what? Level 20, Vivic isn't a challenge nor is any other aspect of that game (edit: Ok, that freakin wood elf in the expansion of MW was tough). For that reason, I do appreciate the leveling aspect of Oblivion, however, I would like to see more of a hi-bred in those types of games. Likewise, I'd like to see leveled items appear before, say glass armor at level 18. I'd like there to be pre-leveled characters in these types of RPGs. Having said that, I don't have a problem with Bandits being better equipped. In some sense, they should be, right? I mean they are robbing people. I'd like to see more NPC fighting amongst NPCs. The most frustrating thing for me with MW, is the Cliff Racer. A Cliff Racer should attack something, other than me. In Oblivion, the Legion can come to assist you and sometimes will take out a bandit. In Shivering Isles you can get the Gnarls and the Knights of Order to fight each other assuming you can get them in proximity. But, what I'd like to see is more of this. It could even be made into a "side quest" -- you come upon a caravan that has been slaughtered. See a blood trail... yada yada yada.
Blaster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Your Innovative Idea? Reply with quote

Simon_Says wrote:
but we can dream can't we?

Interestingly, I am pretty sure that I have dreamed about some really AWESOME games on more than one occasion, but I promptly forget them upon waking up. I am just let to think, "damn, my unconscious is that creative?"

Simon_Says wrote:

*coughAvP2cough*

I may have to think about this topic and post something more later.
Aramor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see a continuation of Portal.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
cfos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I haven't tried the Wii, I am impressed by their commercials. I like th interface with the motion-controllers. I think that is fairly innovative. I'd like to see it continue. I remember some system, a while ago had a glove-concept for a game. Not sure what became of that. I think there is also a flying game (Aces 6?) that has more "realiatic" pilot controls. I'd like the more "realistic" controllers and would like to see more development in that arena.
Sal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i think of rpg gaming experience, i want heavy hero customization with shitload of options to choose from. Fable's going in the good direction with the hairstyles and tattoos and facial hair, but that's just the beginning of what should follow. i want to feel like my hero is mine down to the last detail. interestingly, San Andreas did a fairly good job on this, only for the IV to go backwards again. but it's mostly related to rpg of course, since that's where the need for identification with the hero is strongest.

also, and this may seem to contradict the above, but in fact it doesn't, i want the whole gameworld to refer to my hero by the name, not per "hero", or "the exile" or some such half-measure.
but i don't want to be forced to play a prefabricated character named Shepard, either (although i appreciate what they did with letting you choose the gender and background. and the really quality physical appearance creation tool).
so my idea is to strike a compromise here - give the player a list of prepared, fully voice-acted names to choose from. i see it as a healthy compromise between the customization and the immersion - two key factors of a good rpg experience to me. sure, it's not perfect but it's something. perhaps you might not be able to play as jedi master Lord Gaylord anymore, but with a bit of creativity on the part of the developers, the list could include choices to satisfy a wide array of players. ('sides, there's little fun in playing as Lord Gaylord when there's no one to speak your name anyway.)
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Your Innovative Idea? Reply with quote

Blaster wrote:
Simon_Says wrote:
*coughAvP2cough*
True. But apparently no-one in the business noticed.
Aramorę wrote:
I'd like to see a continuation of Portal.
They're already working on it. Also there's a mod by the guys who made the flash version of Portal, recreating the flash version of Portal in Portal. It's actually very good and should sate your Portal hunger for a little while longer.
Sal wrote:
('sides, there's little fun in playing as Lord Gaylord when there's no one to speak your name anyway.)
Would have made the arena on Taris in KOTOR much more interesting.
That Announcer Guy wrote:
The Mysterious GAAAAYLOOORD!!

Working on my second idea now, stay tuned.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal wrote:
interestingly, San Andreas did a fairly good job on this

Yes, I think we all felt very connected with an egocentric afro-american gangster...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Satan Crime Wash

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramorę wrote:
Sal wrote:
interestingly, San Andreas did a fairly good job on this

Yes, I think we all felt very connected with an egocentric afro-american gangster...
He's talking about the wealth of customisation options being a generally good thing. You're kinda forced to play a black guy from the 'hood because that's what the game is about.

Re: Voice acting & custom characters. It would be nice to have a range of actors for each gender. One of my main problems with Mass Effect was that no matter what personailty I imprinted on the character by my actions, he still sounded like a white-bread, stuffed-shirt Canadian. Which is better than the usual American-with-throat-cancer, but it could still be completely unsuited to the persona the player built up.

Never happen though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal wrote:
when i think of rpg gaming experience, i want heavy hero customization with shitload of options to choose from. Fable's going in the good direction with the hairstyles and tattoos and facial hair, but that's just the beginning of what should follow. i want to feel like my hero is mine down to the last detail. interestingly, San Andreas did a fairly good job on this, only for the IV to go backwards again. but it's mostly related to rpg of course, since that's where the need for identification with the hero is strongest.

also, and this may seem to contradict the above, but in fact it doesn't, i want the whole gameworld to refer to my hero by the name, not per "hero", or "the exile" or some such half-measure.
but i don't want to be forced to play a prefabricated character named Shepard, either (although i appreciate what they did with letting you choose the gender and background. and the really quality physical appearance creation tool).
so my idea is to strike a compromise here - give the player a list of prepared, fully voice-acted names to choose from. i see it as a healthy compromise between the customization and the immersion - two key factors of a good rpg experience to me. sure, it's not perfect but it's something. perhaps you might not be able to play as jedi master Lord Gaylord anymore, but with a bit of creativity on the part of the developers, the list could include choices to satisfy a wide array of players. ('sides, there's little fun in playing as Lord Gaylord when there's no one to speak your name anyway.)

I think Soul Calibur IV did a good job with that. Although it's not an RPG, and the story was bullshit, and it was corny as fuck. And although there are many options to choose from, it just isn't enough. But other than those little details I think the game is great, other than the Starwars characters' controls. The only one who gives you the feel of being in an actual lightsaber duel is Yoda and even he isn't enough.
Azrael

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soul Calibur IV could have ued alot more Star Wars characters. I would have liked playing as my favorite Kaleesh warlord, Grievous, even if he gets nerfed like in the movie.

Married to SpideyGirl.
Forumgoer Unavailable

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're always playing the space marines, fighting against some kind of bizarre parasitic squishy alien. I've always wanted to take control of one of those squishy aliens. I'm aware that this was done in AVP, but what I was thinking was kind of different.

I'll admit, this idea has a lot of inspiration from Dead Space, especially the slow upgrade, but the concept is an idea I've been cooking up for a while.

The situation is classic: a group of colonists land on an alien planet, and begin to terraform the planet for ideal human habitation. This disturbs some of the local wildlife, and a careless citizen is infected by this parasitic life form. Your game begins this first infected, running around slaughtering the defenceless colonists and their lightly armed gaurds. As you kill more people, you can take their various body parts and mutate them into different instruments of death (I.E. adding brains increases response time, muscles to increase strength and speed, bones become clubs or spikes, hair or tendons become lassos or nets to incapacitate targets). However, your form can only support a specific amount of these new bio-weapons, so you have to be picky about which of the severed limbs you mould onto your already grotesque figure.

As the levels progress, the foolish humans begin sending in the troops to wipe you out, but this only increases size and strength of the league of fellow infected. As the size of the infection grows, the hive mind's power increases, as does your "limb capacity", allowing you to become even more twisted and horrifying. Being the first and therefore only "smart" host, later you can summon smaller infected beasts to slaughter the ever-increasing human threat. The final levels could include you trying to destroy the terraforming station, a la Aliens, resulting in relent of the humans, not before a final boss battle with a warship and legions of marines.

Sequels could include galactic conquest and later, heading to infect the sweetest plum, Earth.
Aramor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda like Spore meets AvP Razz

But yeah, that does sound like a nice idea. I too find it stupid you're always playing the Space Marines part. That's why I like Warhammer 40K and my massive (read: 8 figures painted and stuff) Tyranid army!

Anyway, now that we're talking about playing the wrong side, why do WWII games always have you play the Allied side (except Battlefield ofcourse, but I mean single player games). I realize the Nazis kinda lost, but I would like to play as the opposing side for once.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Satan Crime Wash

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramorę wrote:
I realize the Nazis kinda lost, but I would like to play as the opposing side for once.

COH: Opposing Fronts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really an innovation, more of a request;

ENOUGH WORLD WAR II GAMES! I GET IT ALREADY! HITLER WAS MEAN! THE US GOT CARRIED AWAY WITH THE BOMBS!!!! You don't have to tell us that 8 times a year... And Call of Duty 4 was great, the only CoD game I actually bought because it wasn't set in WWII.

Married to SpideyGirl.
Carlo Sandiego

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some ideas for MMORPGS.
1. The gameplay shall be good enough that it could stand up as a single player game. Combat system must be elegantly designed; NPC's must be fairly fleshed out. Must have a PLOT.
2. You're not all a bunch of mighty heroes. You're normal citizens who MIGHT--Just MIGHT--end up getting rich and powerful. You might have combat abilities, in which case you probably can't investigate much; you might be a good doctor, in which case you can get killed too easily. Either way, you're useful but in order to actually succeed, you HAVE TO DIVERSIFY. There are a limited--but HUGE--number of quest lines in the world, and what someone does in one place affects how everyone else experiences the game. For instance, if one party already escorted a bunch of pilgrims to a shrine, you won't get a "help pilgrims" quest line...but you might be contracted to negotiate with a newly-risen fundamentalist cult. Characters must have a LIFESPAN. If you're level HOLY SHIT THAT'S HIGH, your character will eventually grow old, and then die. And you might be assassinated beforehand. Hence, there's a turnover rate. You fought your way to the top of the army; now you're dead. maybe your successors are fighting over the leadership position and your departure had plunged the kingdom into chaos.
3. No more leveling. If you use a skill, you get slightly more likely to succeed when using that skill again. However, NOT TOO MANY DICE ROLLS. If you hit a guy with a sword, he GOT HIT WITH A SWORD. Randomness only governs PART of a skill use.
4.Put THOUGHT into what skills there are and how they work. Make sure there's no ultimate skill chain.
5. No elves, no goddamn dwarves, and if I see another gnome I'll KILL.
Invent new races; give them cultures and tendencies that aren't based on easily-noted mythology. Obviously, it's nearly impossible to be completely original. But at the very least, come up with something that shows you really did work at it.

all for now...I'll think up more later, I'm sure.
Aramor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Chainsaw wrote:
COH: Opposing Fronts.

Yeah, and ofcourse Battlefield Heroes. But that won't be out for a while, I think.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Forumgoer Unavailable

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and Simon, you're probably already aware of this, but Team Fortress did have Red Blue Green and Yellow, back in the days of TFC's deathmatch.

And it was an unbelieveable clusterfuck.
Nron

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm... well i think that ETQW has done a good job on advancing the field of online FPS.

What id like to see is an online FPS zombie survival game that is set in a modern day world, like the last stand but on a larger scale. I mean a game where you start out living your life with your chosen proffession and you start with a set amount of money. Its set in december of 2011, a few days before 2012 and for the first few "days" of the game you continue with your life, buying objects that will later be used for survival. After the initial outbreak of zombies youll fortify a postition and be try to survive. if your overrun you can haul ass and try to search for a new spot or if your lucky, find another player willing to let you stay.

As the game progresses your hideout will get bigger with upgrades foundin the undead world around you until its not so well hidden but strong enough to hold of hundreds of the undead. Clans can go on base hunts in different parts of the world if supplies alow and if they find a base they can occupy they claim it and fortify. you characters will vary. if your killed its not a problem. Depending on the circumstances of your death you can rise again as a basic zombie, a lich (undead with a preserved brain, giving the said lich power over the mindless dead) or a variety of different classes.

Its just a starting idea but im still working on it.

Digitaaliklosetti wrote:
...so I could grab at those loose, flappy leathery parts on her arms and pretend that, together, we are Batman....
Aramor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean like this?

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Nron

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not like that peice of shit game

Digitaaliklosetti wrote:
...so I could grab at those loose, flappy leathery parts on her arms and pretend that, together, we are Batman....
Bloo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A martial arts action-adventure like the Path of Neo, but on a larger scale, more combos, and more options.
Satan Crime Wash

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, the oft bandied statistic that 5% (or less) of games turn a profit is down to a misquote. Turns out that the actual statistic is 20%. That's right kids, now only four out of five games cause their publisher to lose money (The only game I ever recall hearing of breaking even was Enter the Matrix, and maybe Prince of Persia). Bravo, games industry, really.
In related news; in the last six weeks I have purchased Fable 2, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, Gears of War 2, COD: World at War, Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, L4D (twice), and Galactic Civilisations 2: Ultimate Edition. What do these games all have in common? Not a one of them has been on sale for more than two months. Most of them have been out for six weeks or less, in fact.

So here's my innovative idea: Dear Games Industry, stop releasing most of the big games between September and December. Maybe then people would buy more of them, rather than having to pick and choose the titles they think they'll like best. Not everyone wastes as much of their income on games as I do.

Hell, people bought Army of Two (an unremitting piece of shite so bad that it's release was delayed to excise the worst parts of the game. You know, rather than inflict them on the nice people who paid the money they had to work for in order to pick up a copy.) precisely because it was the only 'big' title out at the time.

And now I'm reminded of something that 8-Bit development legend Mel Croucher said recently: "I know nothing about the games industry now, apart from the fact that it costs large amounts of money to pay large teams of people for several years to produce the same old shit."

So I guess my other good idea is that maybe doing something to stand out from the crowd of 'Tom Clancy Presents: See How Many Muslims and Chinese Dudes You Can Shoot, White Boy' garbage, will help your game to sell.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't I make my rpg character left handed? I am, after all, a hopeless southpaw that can't do anything right handed and would expect my cooler fantasy mirror of myself to be the same...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Video games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: