Alien Loves Predator Forum Index
         
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
AVP 2 Confirmed
    page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Aliens, Predators, all that
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Aramor



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Posts: 14137
Location: On a cyborg unicorn pony!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vevlaa wrote:
sē wrote:
raptor-like silicon based creature with large claws, sharp pointy teeth and acid blood.


Aliens???
RazzRazzRazzRazz


No, your mom... Razz

Ah, I love a good discussion... let me join in:

*Scrapes throat... cracks knuckles and does more of that semi impressive preparation shit*

I second Sē...
_________________
Photoshopperholic wrote:
Mighty Lord Aramor


Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
siliconsara



Gender: Gender:Female
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 614
Location: Western NY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vevlaa wrote:

Aliens???
RazzRazzRazzRazz


I love it when people suck the poetic awesomeness out of my writing. Just, someday, when I release a novel, some assjack is going to shout from the crowd at my book signing, "ALIENS???"

And that person will be gutted on sight while I say in triumph, "OSHITSON! You fucking genius! Give this person a free belly slicing! On da hizzle!"
_________________
plz to be visiting my board of predator debauchery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
amyltrer



Gender: Gender:Female
Joined: 23 Apr 2005
Posts: 1678
Location: On a trophy wall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now , back on topic! Does anyone know a site with (recently) information about AvP 2 movie? (plot, actors,...blah, blah...)
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
siliconsara



Gender: Gender:Female
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 614
Location: Western NY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amyltrer wrote:
Now , back on topic! Does anyone know a site with (recently) information about AvP 2 movie? (plot, actors,...blah, blah...)


We were on topic...?

You are also forgetting, this is ALP. Going off-topic is as common as breathing around here!

As for your question, I can't think of any off the top of my head. I do know though, that the movie is already written and it's being filmed very shortly. They are aiming for a Fall 2007 release.
_________________
plz to be visiting my board of predator debauchery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
amyltrer



Gender: Gender:Female
Joined: 23 Apr 2005
Posts: 1678
Location: On a trophy wall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sē wrote:
amyltrer wrote:
Now , back on topic! Does anyone know a site with (recently) information about AvP 2 movie? (plot, actors,...blah, blah...)


We were on topic...?

You are also forgetting, this is ALP. Going off-topic is as common as breathing around here!

As for your question, I can't think of any off the top of my head. I do know though, that the movie is already written and it's being filmed very shortly. They are aiming for a Fall 2007 release.


Fall 2007 - the most recently? That's so much to wait.... Crying or Very sad
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sev



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 78
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sē wrote:

But take into consideration the following:

1. The budget and time allowance was rather thin.

2. The person who played the Predators in the first two movies died of AIDS shortly after P2 was created.

3. The Predators in question story-wise were teenagers. They wern't out there to stalk their prey, rather it could be that their prey was stalking them. They were taught to fight xenos, not stalk them. Their camo is useless against a xeno, and I highly doubt a young unseasoned Predator knows how to properly stalk prey without the proper camo equipment.

4. This movie is nothing more than a superficial popcorn flick. If you want extreme fight choreography, then check out stuff by ...well, you probably own enough kung fu movies.


1. I don't like these excuses. "This movie was back because we didn't have enough time or money to make it good." Does that make the movie to me, the viewer, a better movie? If I make a dinner for someone with bad ingredients and a short amount of time, they taste it and complain it's not good, does saying, "I didn't have the time or ingredients" make it taste better?

Excuses don't make things better.

Besides the first two movies have cheapass budgets compared to today anyway.

2. So they get someone else. Preferably not a huge wrestler who couldn't clap his hands above his head.

3. How do you know? Why should we assume "Since these predators are young, they don't know how to hunt."

They're freaking Predators. They're born and raised for this moment. You think they wouldn't have any understanding of stealth?

4. I wasn't looking for fight choreography. Infact, there should have been practically NO fight choreography. It should've been a movie about what it feels like to be a hunter and the hunted.

Instead, as you so succinctly bolded my topic sentence, it was a Slugfest.

Quote:

I think of a killer, or at least a thing that takes something from another. A predator is not always going to be an invisible thing, or one that cannot easily be seen.

Bears are predators. So are hawks. Like the Preds in AVP, they use their power and natural ability to capture their prey.


Many bears rarely practice their predatory skills because they're omnivores. They eat whatever. That's why they're such a danger in camp areas. They'll come around looking for any kind of food.

But when they do hunt, there is still a sense of grace to how they do it. Catching salmon from a stream or clobbering a seal going up for air before it can dive back down takes alot of frustrated missed attempts and sharp reflexes.

But when you have something bipedal like a Predator, for me, I instantly equate it to being a graceful stalker. If you honestly thought predators should be like that then I could see why you enjoyed the movie. I still thought it was crap.


Quote:

Have you seen the extra body fat on the P1 pred? Seriously...that meat's good eatin'!

The difference I see between them all is what their mass is centered on. The AVP preds have more muscle packed in the upper torso, whereas the P1 and P2 preds have it distributed nicely around the body, good balance for jumping and climbing.


But what's this have to do with bigger being better?

Quote:

Good for him.

I want to see Mr. Lee, bless his good soul, to be cloned and then to go out wearing nothing but his trademark bare chest and smexy pants and use his awesome karate skills to take down a rather nimble raptor-like silicon based creature with large claws, sharp pointy teeth and acid blood.

Bigger does always mean better. Well, in this case at least.

And may I mention again that Mr. Lee was a quite seasoned and skilled fighter whereas the Predators in AVP were amateur teenagers.


But you didn't answer why you think bigger = better.

Neandrathals, wooly mammoths, elephants, lions, tigers and even gazelles are bigger, badder and much more dangerous than us humans. Why did we win?

Because we were smarter and quieter.

Bigger does not mean better. A gorilla is plenty bigger than me, but if he doesn't see me and I fire a bullet in it's head, it's not gonna matter is it? Obviously I wasn't suggesting the predator go toe to toe with a xenomorph - it's here where you grossly misunderstood me. I dunno how you inferred that idea, because my whole argument is about how stupid it is that they ARE going head-to-head. You even argue about it against me in the rest of this post.

The Predator has all these tools to help him sneak around and stalk prey by killing it silently and professionally, and yet they don't use it. They just wrestle.

Quote:

Quote:
Horses pulling wood isn't the same thing as a predator stalking prey. You want a more naturalistic example?


Please read all of the above.


Okay. So how did all that explain a horse pulling wood is the same as a predator stalking a prey?

Horse pulling wood. Predator hunting prey.

What?

Quote:
Quote:
Us. Human beings. With agility, speed and intelligence we eliminated the bigger and stronger Neandrathals.

Quote:
So bigger means that the person is dumber? That's what I am seeing when I read that.


Where do you infer that?

This is what happens when you pull things out of nowhere and start looking for points to argue just for the sake of trying to make your argument seem better. I never inferred bigger = dumber. I said human beings were faster and craftier (We built better tools). We can't speculate the intelligence of Neandrathals compared to human beings, but they built their own tools as well, and had larger craniums than us.

Quote:
Quote:
We've slain Wooly Mammoths with spears and strategy.


And teamwork. Don't forget teamwork. Unfortunatly our good ol' AVP preds didn't have that when it came down to eliminating the xenos.
[/quote]

They also seemed to have forgotten they have cloaking devices, different tracking modes on their helmets, big laser cannons and a spear that could puncture a tank.

Quote:
With venom of course. If the Predators have the ability to tranquilize a xeno and then kill it, I'll get back to you on that one.


Cloaking devices, heat seeking, a shoulder mounted laser cannon, combi stick, spear, discus...

Quote:

I should of just read the last paragraph and save myself some time. Curse me and my impatience!


If would've also saved you from assuming a bunch of crap I never said.
_________________
"The time for talk is over. Now we must kung fu..."
"Wait! But I just wanted to kn--"
"SILENCE!! Kuuuuung FUUUUUUUUUUUUU~~~~!!!!!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
siliconsara



Gender: Gender:Female
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 614
Location: Western NY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sev wrote:


If would've also saved you from assuming a bunch of crap I never said.


Oh, really?

You have too high expectations. That's the bottom line.

The Predators are not streamlined kung fu acrobats. They are not graceful beings, even though they may perhaps have the capacity since they walk on two legs like we do.

They are hard, bulky, perhaps smelly, ugly (as amyltrer would put it!) hard-ass, face-fisting brutes. They are along the lines of a redneck backwood hunter than a karate expert with a special attack.

Excuses? How about this: if you think you can do so much better, then get some money, gather a crew and make your own movie.

Not only do you have too high expectations of the movie, but also of the Predators themselves. You can have every single piece of high-tech killing equipment on your person, the best training in the universe such as 100 ways you can kill someone with a toothpick. But when it comes down to the final test, you can easily screw up and fail miserably. This was seen in the AVP comics and novels: Yautja that were trained all their life to fight the Xenos, and failed miserably because of the heat of the moment.

And don't tell me this can never happen. Any person here can say they studied hours for a test but bomb it because they got stressed out because of the tenseness during the test hours.

I learned my lesson last time and this time I am just going to say what I originally was going to say instead of nitpicking your posts.

Oh, and by the way, the horse cart pulling quip is something writers like to call an analogy. If you really thought hard enough, you can see the comparison. Not with Predators, but as how you see them in regards to their new "WWE" physique versus your idolization of the thin kung-fu bodies that are only useful when NOT fighting Xenos. You know, what this whole conversation started from.
_________________
plz to be visiting my board of predator debauchery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sev



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 78
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa. Why did me thinking AvP was a bad movie suddenly become so personal for you? Cool it. I wasn't the one coming in with a biased assumption when I read and posted what you had to say. I addressed your points and you started replying on points I haven't even said.


Quote:
Oh, really?

You have too high expectations. That's the bottom line.


Wanting a predator to act like a predator instead of wrestling with aliens is high expectations?

Quote:
The Predators are not streamlined kung fu acrobats. They are not graceful beings, even though they may perhaps have the capacity since they walk on two legs like we do.


Did I say they were? Did I infer they should be? Did I say they should be going around kung fuing people?

I said they should be stalkers. Predators. It's what they did in 1 and 2.

Quote:
They are hard, bulky, perhaps smelly, ugly (as amyltrer would put it!) hard-ass, face-fisting brutes. They are along the lines of a redneck backwood hunter than a karate expert with a special attack.


This is the third time I'm asking this.

WHY?

Where is your proof other than AvP?

Quote:
Excuses? How about this: if you think you can do so much better, then get some money, gather a crew and make your own movie.

Not only do you have too high expectations of the movie, but also of the Predators themselves. You can have every single piece of high-tech killing equipment on your person, the best training in the universe such as 100 ways you can kill someone with a toothpick. But when it comes down to the final test, you can easily screw up and fail miserably. This was seen in the AVP comics and novels: Yautja that were trained all their life to fight the Xenos, and failed miserably because of the heat of the moment.


The classic, "If you think it's bad I dare you to make something better" argument.

So if I think a steak I ate is bad, I have to be a world class steak chef and make a better one just so I can say that a steak is bad?

So you honestly believe that someone explaining to you why a movie was bad because of time and money constraints increases the enjoyment of the actual movie? That is what I'm asking, and that is what you aren't answering. Instead you're getting pissed off, taking this like I just slapped you in the face with a glove and challenged you to a duel and challenging me to make a better movie. Relax. We're talking about why we like or don't like AvP.

And you cite a couple of Predator failures in the comics. So what? There are a bunch more comics where a single predator annihilates whatever they're hunting and the prey have to group together to stand a chance.

And you went off on yet another tangent I wasn't talking about. You're talking about personal failings of when a predator blows a hunt. I listed weapons, training and resources as factors that you would think a predator would practice, but as soon as the aliens are introduced, all this is thrown away in favor of really bad wrestling and a shaky camera.


Quote:
And don't tell me this can never happen. Any person here can say they studied hours for a test but bomb it because they got stressed out because of the tenseness during the test hours.


Okay. What's your point?

Quote:
I learned my lesson last time and this time I am just going to say what I originally was going to say instead of nitpicking your posts.

Oh, and by the way, the horse cart pulling quip is something writers like to call an analogy. If you really thought hard enough, you can see the comparison. Not with Predators, but as how you see them in regards to their new "WWE" physique versus your idolization of the thin kung-fu bodies that are only useful when NOT fighting Xenos. You know, what this whole conversation started from.


Okay. I'm asking you a third time. What does a horse pulling a cart have to do with a predator stalking prey?

I've already called it an analogy which you affirmed before. Now you're telling me again it's an analogy and going, "You figure it out." And then you say "big predators and right and agile predators are wrong" when fighting aliens.. When the best way to get rid of aliens would obviously be to kill them without letting them know you're there.

So you're saying a predator who's quiet and stealthy that could spear an alien before it even knew it was being stalked is inferior to a big one that goes "RAWR!" and starts wrestling with it.

If you don't stop taking this personally and try to strawman me with a bunch of things I didn't even say, it's pointless to continue because you'll get even angrier.
_________________
"The time for talk is over. Now we must kung fu..."
"Wait! But I just wanted to kn--"
"SILENCE!! Kuuuuung FUUUUUUUUUUUUU~~~~!!!!!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
siliconsara



Gender: Gender:Female
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 614
Location: Western NY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sev wrote:


Wanting a predator to act like a predator instead of wrestling with aliens is high expectations?

I said they should be stalkers. Predators. It's what they did in 1 and 2.

This is the third time I'm asking this.

WHY?

Where is your proof other than AvP?




I think one of the mix-ups here is the definition of Predator.

The original title for the movie was going to be "Hunter".

The movie itself was derived from a joke, that Rocky Balboa has fought everyone except ET. It was mainly a way to create the perfect opponent that would be as hard and brute as Rocky himself, and the idea went off from there.

Our concept of "Predator" is two totally different things.



Quote:
The classic, "If you think it's bad I dare you to make something better" argument.

So if I think a steak I ate is bad, I have to be a world class steak chef and make a better one just so I can say that a steak is bad?


Well, as they say, beggars can't be choosers.

Someone can list so many expectations for AVP, only to have none of them filled. That's fine. Then don't support the movie makers by not buying their films.

Despite the plot holes, AVP is actually a very cool movie, and I enjoyed it, every bit of it. That's because I removed my high expectations and learned to just enjoy it for the fact that it was made.

Just like if you think that steak sucked, then you don't have to go back to that restaurant; or just make your own steak.

Quote:
So you honestly believe that someone explaining to you why a movie was bad because of time and money constraints increases the enjoyment of the actual movie?


It was good, considering the tight budget and time contraints. If they had all the money and time in the world to make this movie and this is what they gave us, then I would be sitting in the same boat as you.

So, yes. I enjoyed the movie because I know of the reason why it can't be better that others promised it would be. I enjoy it for what it is, and what contraints it was made in.

Quote:
And you cite a couple of Predator failures in the comics. So what? There are a bunch more comics where a single predator annihilates whatever they're hunting and the prey have to group together to stand a chance.


The main difference there is that the Predators you saw were blooded and skilled hunters.

The AVP Predators were TEENAGERS. Naive teenagers.

Quote:
And you went off on yet another tangent I wasn't talking about. You're talking about personal failings of when a predator blows a hunt. I listed weapons, training and resources as factors that you would think a predator would practice, but as soon as the aliens are introduced, all this is thrown away in favor of really bad wrestling and a shaky camera.


Of course. Because I like to think of the Predators as having the capacity to have feelings just like we do. It's storytelling. It makes the story interesting. Failure in life is a great addition to the story. It makes it more interesting, IMHO.


Quote:
Okay. I'm asking you a third time. What does a horse pulling a cart have to do with a predator stalking prey?


I already answered that question. If you don't like the answer, then that's your problem, not mine.

Quote:
When the best way to get rid of aliens would obviously be to kill them without letting them know you're there.


Of course. You are seeing this from a logical standpoint. I am seeing this from a storytelling POV, where the Predators are inexperienced teenagers with doubts and overbearing pride. Shit will happen.

Quote:
So you're saying a predator who's quiet and stealthy that could spear an alien before it even knew it was being stalked is inferior to a big one that goes "RAWR!" and starts wrestling with it.


I like putting words in your mouth, and you like putting words in my mouth. I guess we are even.

If the Predators in question were highly skilled blooded hunters who have been on countless hard meat fights before, then they would have that full mental capacity and skill to pull that off.

Quote:
If you don't stop taking this personally and try to strawman me with a bunch of things I didn't even say, it's pointless to continue because you'll get even angrier.


I am taking it personally because I personally think AVP is getting too much of a bad wrap. And now AVP2 might have that same effect.

A simple case of being caught in the crossfire. Apologies.
_________________
plz to be visiting my board of predator debauchery


Last edited by siliconsara on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Frost



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 05 Jul 2005
Posts: 2442
Location: The Realm of Suck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am taking it personally because I personally think AVP is getting too much of a bad wrap. And now AVP2 might have that same effect.


I completely agree with you there.

People need to stop having ridiculously high expectations for movies.

The special effects were remarkable. The story was quite interesting; something we've not seen before. The predator and the alien have never been shown so well in my opinion. And yet people act like it is a plague on this earth and they act like Anderson should be shot.

Same thing with the Doom movie, actually. Even I, at first, was dissapointed in this movie. No hell, no demons... but the second time I watched it, I stopped moping and I saw it for what it really was. A well made movie. I had a blast watching it.

I had a blast watching AVP, too. Flaws aside.

P.s.-Sorry for bringing up Doom in an AvP topic. I just thought the two movies were similarly, poorly received.


P.s.s- This is slightly off subject.... Some people seem to get so pissed because the predators lost to the aliens. Why? What I wonder is why the predators were deemed so much more powerful than aliens. I had a discussion with a friend a while back about this, he said that the reason was that the predators were hunters and were stealthy. Ummm.... since when were aliens not stealthy? In fact, I was under the impression that they were very much stealthy. And fast, and evasive, and resiliant. Im not trying to spawn up a "Whos better" argument, I merely wonder why it so absurd that aliens can actually be more than just cannon-fodder-type creatures who have to attack in swarms, because othewise they get blown up like acidic grenades.
_________________
You forget one thing: rock crushes scissors. But paper covers rock... and
scissors cuts paper... Kiff, we have a conundrum. Search them for paper... and
bring me a rock.
-- Zapp Brannigan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
siliconsara



Gender: Gender:Female
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 614
Location: Western NY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frost wrote:

Im not trying to spawn up a "Whos better" argument, I merely wonder why it so absurd that aliens can actually be more than just cannon-fodder-type creatures who have to attack in swarms, because othewise they get blown up like acidic grenades.


It has to do with the storytelling (to me, anyway).

In the ADI book, the Aliens were considered the antagonist, while the Predators were the protagonist. This is evident in the reshaping of the Predator design. They were made to appear less threatening, and more "heroic".

However, deep down (and even I have to live with this) the Predators are just as much as monsters as the Aliens are, and this to me, neither side won that day. The predalien chestburster at the end was nothing more than a stalemate to even the sides, more than just opening the movie up to a sequel.

As much as I am a Predator fan, I still have my admiration for the Aliens. They can be much more than monsters in red-shirts, much like the Predators can be much more than red-shirts. To me, Fox and Anderson did a pretty good job for trying to make the sides even...even though in every story there must be a force and an opposing force. The humans in the story are in reality, just bystanders who can do nothing more than pick a side.

To most, the Aliens are goverened by the queen in that "hive mind" group mentality. Most would then dismiss the idea of showing the Aliens as something else besides scraps. But a person with a kick-ass idea can turn that narrow-minded thinking on its head. I've seen stories where Aliens were somehow able to communicate with humans and breaking from the hive mind. That can be a great story altogether, without the need for creatures like the Predators.
_________________
plz to be visiting my board of predator debauchery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Aramor



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Posts: 14137
Location: On a cyborg unicorn pony!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sev wrote:
They also seemed to have forgotten they have cloaking devices, different tracking modes on their helmets, big laser cannons and a spear that could puncture a tank.


1-Cloaking devices don't work against Xenos. They can see right through it (Wink).
2-Have you actually watched the movie while being sober/awake? They did use the different tracking modes...
3-Oh wait, you must be referring to the big laser cannons that humans sorta stole from them... that should work you know... I always love cutting my meat with a knife that's besides someone elses plate... if you get what I mean.
4-Ah, the spear he used to impale Mr. Whatshisname-ohlookI'mgoingtobecutinpiecesagainjustlikeinResidentEvil?
_________________
Photoshopperholic wrote:
Mighty Lord Aramor


Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
siliconsara



Gender: Gender:Female
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 614
Location: Western NY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor the First wrote:
Sev wrote:
They also seemed to have forgotten they have cloaking devices, different tracking modes on their helmets, big laser cannons and a spear that could puncture a tank.



4-Ah, the spear he used to impale Mr. Whatshisname-ohlookI'mgoingtobecutinpiecesagainjustlikeinResidentEvil?


Chopper's spear was used for that.

Once Celtic died, all of his weapons were lost to the unknown...

As for Scar, it seems that he lost his spear before he got out of the pyramid. Most of his other weapons were probably burned away as well. I don't have any doubts that when he ginsu-knived that Alien's head, his wrist blades disintegrated in their holder, just like Celtic's did when he cut off a bit of Grid's tail.
_________________
plz to be visiting my board of predator debauchery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sev



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 78
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sē wrote:


I think one of the mix-ups here is the definition of Predator.

The original title for the movie was going to be "Hunter".

The movie itself was derived from a joke, that Rocky Balboa has fought everyone except ET. It was mainly a way to create the perfect opponent that would be as hard and brute as Rocky himself, and the idea went off from there.

Our concept of "Predator" is two totally different things.


What?

You lost me.



Quote:
Quote:
The classic, "If you think it's bad I dare you to make something better" argument.

So if I think a steak I ate is bad, I have to be a world class steak chef and make a better one just so I can say that a steak is bad?


Well, as they say, beggars can't be choosers.

Someone can list so many expectations for AVP, only to have none of them filled. That's fine. Then don't support the movie makers by not buying their films.

Despite the plot holes, AVP is actually a very cool movie, and I enjoyed it, every bit of it. That's because I removed my high expectations and learned to just enjoy it for the fact that it was made.

Just like if you think that steak sucked, then you don't have to go back to that restaurant; or just make your own steak.


That analogy doesn't make sense.

Then by what you're saying, noone can judge anything. There can be no such thing as movie critics, food critics, deoderant critics, whatever. These people don't direct their own movies. They aren't world class chefs. So are you saying their opinion doesn't matter?

I can't watch a movie and express my own views if I didn't like it?

I think it sucked. Period. Why is that so abhorrent to you that you take personal offense and tell me I can't have an opinion when you're espousing your own while taking things I say completely out of context?

You said I idolize the "thin kung fu" body on a Predator, whatever the fuck THAT'S supposed to be. I wasn't aware that martial artists had to have a certain body. I said it myself - I don't mind big and bulky. I mind when they're slow and clumsy, which is what the Predators were.

I even cited a panther. You think those things are skinny? They're rippling with enormous muscles, and they're still stalkers and deathly quiet. THAT is a predator.

Quote:
Quote:
So you honestly believe that someone explaining to you why a movie was bad because of time and money constraints increases the enjoyment of the actual movie?


It was good, considering the tight budget and time contraints. If they had all the money and time in the world to make this movie and this is what they gave us, then I would be sitting in the same boat as you.

So, yes. I enjoyed the movie because I know of the reason why it can't be better that others promised it would be. I enjoy it for what it is, and what contraints it was made in.


No, you didn't enjoy it for what it is. You contradict that by saying in the beginning that you already took the budget and time constraints into consideration. Therefore you're not looking at the movie from the standpoint of purely the movie.

A good meal doesn't become a better meal if someone told you they didn't have enough time or better ingredients to make it. It stays a bad meal. You may UNDERSTAND why it's bad, and even judge it less harhsly in consideration, but it doesn't make it better. A movie is no different.

Quote:
Quote:
And you cite a couple of Predator failures in the comics. So what? There are a bunch more comics where a single predator annihilates whatever they're hunting and the prey have to group together to stand a chance.


The main difference there is that the Predators you saw were blooded and skilled hunters.

The AVP Predators were TEENAGERS. Naive teenagers.


Anything gets bad when you start trying to use outside factors into determining why a non-story related, purely visual aspect of the movie is flawed. The fight scenes were terrible. Saying that the predators were amateurs isn't a good excuse.

The marked Predator was fun to watch in the later parts of the movie, when they're dealing with the Queen and trying to get out. But the wrestling with bad shaky camera effects was nonsense.

Quote:
Quote:
And you went off on yet another tangent I wasn't talking about. You're talking about personal failings of when a predator blows a hunt. I listed weapons, training and resources as factors that you would think a predator would practice, but as soon as the aliens are introduced, all this is thrown away in favor of really bad wrestling and a shaky camera.


Of course. Because I like to think of the Predators as having the capacity to have feelings just like we do. It's storytelling. It makes the story interesting. Failure in life is a great addition to the story. It makes it more interesting, IMHO.


So how does a predator locked in laughably bad wrestling with nauseating camera shaking apply to our everyday lives?

I wasn't talking about the artistic allegory. I was talking about the shitty choreography.


Quote:
Quote:
Okay. I'm asking you a third time. What does a horse pulling a cart have to do with a predator stalking prey?


I already answered that question. If you don't like the answer, then that's your problem, not mine.


LOL.

No you didn't. This is the fourth time you aren't answering it now.

Quote:
Quote:
When the best way to get rid of aliens would obviously be to kill them without letting them know you're there.


Of course. You are seeing this from a logical standpoint. I am seeing this from a storytelling POV, where the Predators are inexperienced teenagers with doubts and overbearing pride. Shit will happen.


Like Predalien World Wrestling Federation?

I didn't see any doubts. The Predators didn't look unsure or scared to me. Prideful to be sure.

But this has nothing to do with the shitty choreography, yet again.

Quote:
Quote:
So you're saying a predator who's quiet and stealthy that could spear an alien before it even knew it was being stalked is inferior to a big one that goes "RAWR!" and starts wrestling with it.


I like putting words in your mouth, and you like putting words in my mouth. I guess we are even.


What did I take out of context from what you said? You've never bothered to defend yourself. You just fly off into more tangents. It's telling me you're running out of area to defend yourself with. Remember you were the one who started taking this personally - not me. And you were the one making all the assumptions that I've disproved.

Quote:
If the Predators in question were highly skilled blooded hunters who have been on countless hard meat fights before, then they would have that full mental capacity and skill to pull that off.


I don't care. The choreography sucked. That's what I was arguing. Where are you getting these tangents from?

Quote:
Quote:
If you don't stop taking this personally and try to strawman me with a bunch of things I didn't even say, it's pointless to continue because you'll get even angrier.


I am taking it personally because I personally think AVP is getting too much of a bad wrap. And now AVP2 might have that same effect.

A simple case of being caught in the crossfire. Apologies.


So you think noone can have their own opinion about whether something sucks or not?

I don't go around kicking people's teeth in because they didn't like Last Action Hero. I love that movie, but I try to rip their guts out of their ass if they hate it.
_________________
"The time for talk is over. Now we must kung fu..."
"Wait! But I just wanted to kn--"
"SILENCE!! Kuuuuung FUUUUUUUUUUUUU~~~~!!!!!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frost



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 05 Jul 2005
Posts: 2442
Location: The Realm of Suck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...Hey, Sev? Yea... shut the hell up...
_________________
You forget one thing: rock crushes scissors. But paper covers rock... and
scissors cuts paper... Kiff, we have a conundrum. Search them for paper... and
bring me a rock.
-- Zapp Brannigan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
siliconsara



Gender: Gender:Female
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 614
Location: Western NY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already said my opinion. Now it's just turning into an online fist fight. I've said my apologies and moved on.
_________________
plz to be visiting my board of predator debauchery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Aramor



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Posts: 14137
Location: On a cyborg unicorn pony!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, last thing I'm going to say on the topic of UPWF (Universal Predator Wrestling Foundation). You say it sucked because Celtic started wrestling with Grid while he should've used stealth and his advanced weaponry to hunt him down and kill him... right? Well, assuming that's what you said, here's my answer:

Celtic and the other one (Gill, or what's his name) were fighting the humans... all of a sudden a Xenomorph kills Gill (or what's his name)... so Celtic decides the Xenomorph has to die... he hasn't got his Plasma Caster yet, he just rammed his spear right through Mr. NetFetish and besides the other net and his wristblades, that's all the weapons he took with him. Now, there's no point in cloaking himself and stealthily taking out the Xeno, because first of all, the Xeno already knows you're there, and secondly, he just took out another Pred... and that was a big mistake... so he throws himself at the Xeno... now, that on screen it turned out to be a wrestling match, filmed by a cameraman with Parkinson is one thing, but now at least you know why I think the Pred started fighting Grid mano i mano... or mano a mano... or whatever whatever whatever...
_________________
Photoshopperholic wrote:
Mighty Lord Aramor


Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Frost



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 05 Jul 2005
Posts: 2442
Location: The Realm of Suck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put...
_________________
You forget one thing: rock crushes scissors. But paper covers rock... and
scissors cuts paper... Kiff, we have a conundrum. Search them for paper... and
bring me a rock.
-- Zapp Brannigan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Niall



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslong AVP 2 isn't Predator versus Humans running away with them from Aliens which AVP was and aslong as we see the elder in action!
_________________
'Just die, you bitch!'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
A1i3N



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 16 Apr 2005
Posts: 66
Location: DownUnda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could make AVP2 my way it'd be in the jungle. ALiens iin the jungle would be cool.

I'd start the movie with a research station in Earth orbit experimenting on aliens naturally(when will hey learn). There is a squad of USCM on board too. In this movie it isn't human or alien interference that fudges things over a hunting party of blooded predators attacks the ship forcing it down in the jungle somewhere like Sth america, you know somewhere kinda isolated. The preds weren't bieng dishonourable attacking the ship they just wanted a more interesting hunt. Id have each of the 3-5 preds have a unique armor and weapon style(White stripe wolud be one,If you dont understand see AVP pictures) also i'd have them more stealthy but still keeping lengthy AvPing. You also get to see that these Predators are true predators in the sense that they are weapons masters and combat trained to perfection. The aliens on the other hand would be explored more with the DNA borrowing trait to make different alien variants (Predaliens Panther aliens, Flying) To give the movie some more jazz. There would be AVP fights AVH fights PvH AvPvH all of that.

Also might have Marines with advanced weapons derived from Predator weapons(another thing happening on the downed ship) Wouldn't focus too much on humans though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
helmet boy



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 20 Aug 2005
Posts: 1239
Location: either a small room or a big box

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats going to b plot line of it, world boxing champainship?
_________________
Meh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Aramor



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Posts: 14137
Location: On a cyborg unicorn pony!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should either use the storyline of AvP2 (the game) or just make a nice sequel...
_________________
Photoshopperholic wrote:
Mighty Lord Aramor


Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Anti



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Posts: 257
Location: Off-topic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see it flipped back a few hundred years... set it as a period piece, old west, civil war, war of Independence, whatever... have the preds hunt the xenos, downgrade their weaponry to match the technology current at the time... might be a little different.

Better still, set it on a caribbean island, preds hunting a shitload of xenos... cue pirates coming ashore to stash their booty (yaarrgh). Much fun with swords, acid etc will ensue.
If we can only shoe-horn a ninja in there...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Satan Crime Wash



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Posts: 1980

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you Paul Anderson by any chance?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amyltrer



Gender: Gender:Female
Joined: 23 Apr 2005
Posts: 1678
Location: On a trophy wall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor the First wrote:
I think they should either use the storyline of AvP2 (the game) or just make a nice sequel...


They can't make a decent sequel of that crap. There was a moment in AvP when I thought Lex & Scar will kiss Confused Let's hope that will never happen again.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Aliens, Predators, all that All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group