Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Who watches the Watchmen?
    page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ipsa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfos wrote:
Older? Why thank you for thinking of me, Ipsa. Laughing

Not just you. I think Chainsaw might go all Rorschach-y on the theatre. Wink
Nron

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Rorschach. My childhood hero. Might explain why Im the way I am

Digitaaliklosetti wrote:
...so I could grab at those loose, flappy leathery parts on her arms and pretend that, together, we are Batman....
cfos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nron wrote:
Ah Rorschach. My childhood hero. Might explain why Im the way I am

While I am a big fan of Watchmen, I will say that Rorschach always appeared to me to be modeled after Howard Roark.
Satan Crime Wash

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ipsa wrote:
older... Chainsaw

Insolence! I'm still old-1.

Bonus points for spelling theatre correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seen it on Friday...with the exception of stupid ghetto ass black kids shouting that the movie was "wack" when they obviously have not read the book and couldn't comprehend what was going on in the movie...I loved it. I would go see it again if I could. Another thing that bugged me was that I went with a friend of mine who wanted to see the movie before reading the book. I personally thought that was extremely stupid. It's like going to see Spider-man without knowing who he is. It's like going to see the X-files movie when you've never seen an episode in your life.

I really wanted to talk to her about the book and I was fighting back telling her and explaining what was going on because she was confused for like half the movie. And every time I would attempt to explain something she would tell me not to...which bugged me a lot also because she's sitting there not knowing what was going on and she's now ruined from the book because of the ending. I don't know why she didn't just listen to me in the first place.

*rolls eyes*

Married to Azrael.
Queen of Innuendo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree with your statement in principle, Spidey, I think in the case of this movie, you were totally and unfairly fucked if you hadn't read the books. The director made no attempt to introduce any background or backstory to half of what was going on and by the end there were about a million characters kicking around that you might wonder where the hell they'd came from.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and full marks for unneccessary gore Smile

But I have read the books.

Master Chainsaw wrote:
Aurelyn becomes enraged by imbecilic displays of illiteracy, as is his wont.

Simon_Says wrote:
Sal would know. He stole many jobs from guys named Shaun.
Sal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternate Spideygal wrote:
I personally thought that was extremely stupid. It's like going to see Spider-man without knowing who he is. It's like going to see the X-files movie when you've never seen an episode in your life.

i should probably take it seriously and not go see it, then. until after the book arrives by mail in some 10 days, that is.
but i fucking want to!
to counter it, my other friend told me today that i can safely go see it and be impressed, and then read the book and be blown away.
it's gonna be a tough call.
Sal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

screw the tough call. i saw it today and loved it.
i honestly didn't believe Snyder could pull off something as well thought out after that pompous juvenile slo-mo extravaganza 300. but oh did he deliver.

the obviously brilliant story aside, what touched me about the movie what that it was a full-fledged adult movie. bones break open, blood splatters around, people swear when emotions take over them and not just for the sake of it, naked males have penises, naked women have nipples, and first and foremost, people actually talk about why they'e fighting each other making it possible for us to see the point to all that's going on on the screen. for once, character development was not the director's dump stat.

and all the while i was aware that i'm only experiencing what are excerpts of the Watchmen full story, and kept thinking how amazing it will be to read the rest of it. it made the movie feel like only the beginning of a great adventure.
so that's my two cents.
Frost

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Sal, you didn't like 300? Have you ever seen the graphic novel, because the material in the movie is straight out of the novel. In fact, it is the most faithful adaptation of a graphic novel that has ever been done, easily.

I'm not saying that you should like 300, I'm just saying that it is not Snyder's fault.
-- Zapp Brannigan
cfos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there are some minor things I would have done/wouldn't have done, I felt th at the movie was good. Some scenes almost exactly ripped from the panels of the original. Others, well, it is a movie and if you cut some things out, you have to change other stuff.
Azrael

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest criticism of the film was the fact that it was so loyal to the source materiial. Apparentyl it was too difficult to follow for people unfamiliar with the story. I read it before the release of the film, but some of my friends did not, but I thought the opening credits montage did a good job at explaining the background of the story.

It was not a fast-paced film like the trailers made it appear, I wouldn't really call it an action film either, it had just as much action as the also well-made film and graphic novel V for Vendetta. Really the reception was polarizing, hate it or love it. As I said in my earlier post, I really liked it.

Married to SpideyGirl.
Forumgoer Unavailable

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed it.

The music was a bit jarring and cacophonous, and I felt some parts did not even come close to the mood and feeling the original story was trying to capture.

That said, I was never bored, and Jackie Earle Haley got the character of Rorschach right on the money. Every line he delivered sent chills up my spine. He was the main driving force behind the movie.

I give it three and a half Hurms out of five.
Sal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frost wrote:
So, Sal, you didn't like 300? Have you ever seen the graphic novel, because the material in the movie is straight out of the novel. In fact, it is the most faithful adaptation of a graphic novel that has ever been done, easily.

I'm not saying that you should like 300, I'm just saying that it is not Snyder's fault.

i admit i haven't read 300, only scanned through it once. but i don't suppose there were many slow motion sequences in the comic book, were they?
cfos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal wrote:
Frost wrote:

i admit i haven't read 300, only scanned through it once. but i don't suppose there were many slow motion sequences in the comic book, were they?

I guess it depends on how fast you read... Wink

As was posted above, I agree that there were some instances of ultra-loudness. Like when you are watching a TV show and suddenly a commercial that goes to 11 comes on. Kinda distracting.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I got the graphic novel. I haven't read it, and I haven't seen the movie. I haven't even looked at the damn wikipedia article. People keep saying that for people who are not familiar with the book, the movie's plot is impenetrable. I'm going to put that to the test.

First chance I get, I'm going to see it. I'll come back and reconstruct the basic plot as best I can. Hopefully it's going to be better than "Hans".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely better than I expected, but still fell short in many areas.

PROS: The visuals were exciting and well executed. The many clever nostalgic details were great. Dude, there was Dave Bowie and Mick Jagger outside Studio 54! Seeing Lee Iacoca getting his sinues cleared out made me giggle. The opening scene with the Comdedian watching the friggin McLaughlin Group was priceless. My friend who went with me was born in 1984, so a lot of those little touches were completely lost on him, as they're sure to be for anyone of his age or younger. A lot of fantastic set dressing really brought the universe to life. Doc Manhattan looked perfect and was played to a tee. Jackie Earle Haley is an amazing actor; I doubt anyone could have more faithfully portrayed Rohrschach. Dan Dreiberg was properly fumbly yet competent.

Zach Snyder needs to give Chris Nolan some tips on filming fight scenes. The two Batman movies' action sequences were disjointed and disorienting, making them the only weak points in otherwise great films. The fights in Watchmen were done right. I never lost the sense of what was going on or where the characters were in space. The graphic nature of the violence was enjoyable, too.

CONS: First, the seemingly superhuman strength of everyone involved in a fight. Rohrshach jumping out of the window should have resulted in his legs being jacked up. Veidt shouldn't have been able to toss people around like rag dolls. Laurie and Dan both displayed exceptional agility and combat acuity which was so far outside the realm of believability that it was comedic. Weren't they out of practice for years? Considering that the story took place in an alternate reality, emphasis on reality, I was irked.

Secondly, as I said earlier in this thread before the movie came out, the costumes. They were way too Hollywood bullshit for me, like leftovers from Joel Schumacher's Batman travesties. The only characters which looked anything like they should've were the original Minutemen, Doc Manhattan and Rohrshach. The comedian would've looked better with the original leather "gimp" mask, but otherwise he was passable. The rest of them looked fucking ridiculous.

Thirdly, a few of the characterizations were ass. Adrian Veidt was portrayed as a smug, self-righteous asshole, not the smartest man in the world. He came across as a man who just seemed . . . slimy. If I hadn't known he was the "villain" from reading the book I would have known he was the villain because he's played as the filthy rich, incredibly smart guy in the giant tower in the center of town. He's bound to be the bad guy! C'mon! Sally Jupiter seemed far too forced, like she was a caricature of herself. And why did Rohrschach call Laurie "Ms. Jupiter" when she and Dan rescued him? Her name was Juspeczyk. Jupiter was her mom's snazzy pseudonym.

It was the little things that bothered me. They added up to a ho-hum adaptation. I wasn't even bothered by the giant squid being replaced with Doc Manhattan. But I was bothered that they never showed him at the White House protest making the crowd disperse, or making the television studio crowd go away. Or him and Laurie visiting Veidt in Antarctica. Or the fact that Dan and Laurie weren't incognito and visiting Sally at the end because the police never figured out who he was and stormed his Owlcave. So much material that rounded out the book was tossed aside. I know that it had to be done. A director has to pick apart a story and find the guts of it when filming an adaptation. But I still feel like it's a cheap knockoff.

As a movie which stands on its own terms, it was quite watchable. I give it a 4 out of 5. As an adaptation, I give it a 2.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it should really be watched solely as a movie on its own merits, rather than an adaptation. Going down that road, there are very very few decent adaptations of books or graphic novels out there - it's difficult to translate from one medium to the other and there are always going to be issues that fans of a book will find with a movie adaptation. Remember the whole "Glorfindel" thing with LotR? For my part, I'm a huge fan of the comic, and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie - I think the characterisations were ass because the acting for the most part was terrible Smile

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Simon_Says wrote:
Aramor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna watch it tonight, so afterwards I'll read this topic.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Azrael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This review made me scowl at the asinine comments this woman is disgorging.

Married to SpideyGirl.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that any reviewer who reviews the content of media rather than it's quality is one who should be summarily ignored.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swinging blue willy! (Very Happy

Digitaaliklosetti wrote:
...so I could grab at those loose, flappy leathery parts on her arms and pretend that, together, we are Batman....
Conman

Location: You know that place with the big arch... yeah not there

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I open up by saying Nron is gay for staring at the blue swinging willy then adding a smiley.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I do wonder why they made Doc Manhattan's wing-wong quite so big in the movie. I don't remember it being quite so in your face in the comics.

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Simon_Says wrote:
Aramor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I noticed is that they slowly introduced his dongle into the movie. At first it was just nekkid blue butt, then slowly we saw his blue balls and wedding tackle more and more.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Conman

Location: You know that place with the big arch... yeah not there

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has their ever been that much of a penis shown in a movie. I think it should win a award for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: