Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azrael

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Reply with quote

I'm hearing good reviews for this flick. I really loved the other 3 films and I certainly hope this one does not disappoint! Very Happy

Married to SpideyGirl.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an Indy movie, how can it be bad?

Oh god oh god I really hope it's not

Master Chainsaw wrote:
Aurelyn becomes enraged by imbecilic displays of illiteracy, as is his wont.

Simon_Says wrote:
Sal would know. He stole many jobs from guys named Shaun.
Aramor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna see it this sunday. I already watched the other three movies, to get in the mood Very Happy

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Frost

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have seen this movie.

It was really, really good. That said, many people are going to have a huge problem with it...
-- Zapp Brannigan
Aramor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as long as they don't make any dramatic changes to Indy's personality, it'll be fine with me. But I'll find out Sunday.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Azrael

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Reply with quote

Azrael wrote:
I certainly hope this one does not disappoint!

What the hell are you talking about?

Agreed to Frost, it was very good. Although he's older, Indy is just more experienced now (you'll see what I mean Razz ). It's just like the other 3 films, except more on their levels, Indy is still loveable smart-ass, the action was quirkier (in a good way), the archeology and riddles are just as cryptic. There are a few things that seemed to big of a change though Spoiler:
I mean really, Shia LaBeowulf and monkeys???
but it won't hurt the film either.

Spoiler:
Personally my favorite scene is when Indy is being rescued from the 'dry-sand pit' it was simply an amazing scene.

I would give this film a 9/10, it missed one only because Spoiler:
it could have been a bit longer.

Married to SpideyGirl.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really really enjoyed this. It stayed true to the spirit of the originals in so many ways (minus the Nazis, shame...). That said, the plot was seriously shite, even for an Indy flick. Didn't really matter though, two thumbs up!

Master Chainsaw wrote:
Aurelyn becomes enraged by imbecilic displays of illiteracy, as is his wont.

Simon_Says wrote:
Sal would know. He stole many jobs from guys named Shaun.
Aramor

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it kinda sucks there are no Nazis in it. Then again, kinda weird to make a movie that happened 60 years ago while Indy got really old.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Alternate Spideygal

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! Instead of Nazis we got a really hot Russian.

Also Shia LaBeouf ignited a love for Greasers so great that I'm going to force my boyfriend to dress in leather coats, biker boots, and Levis 501's.

Married to Azrael.
Queen of Innuendo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Aramor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, Elsa Schneider was way hotter.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Alternate Spideygal

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To each his (or her) own.

Married to Azrael.
Queen of Innuendo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Satan Crime Wash

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternate Spideygal wrote:
dress in leather coats, biker boots, and Levis 501's.

Some of us do that anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but now you can do it proudly.
Smiley

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't hate it. But I feel like I wasted $10 and two hours.

It was nice seeing Indiana Jones again. It started off as a very enjoyable film. The opening 20 minutes were fantastic. After Jones got back from Nevada I was jacked and looking forward to the rest of it, then... it just jumped the shark after that. The resolution to the plot left me wishing I had stayed home.

I've seen the first three films dozens of times. I loved them all. I'll never see this one again.

My main gripe:
Spoiler:
I think that making the movie about aliens was a lazy cop-out. All the other Indy movies have been about supernatural forces that were predicated on faith and religion, which is an innately human theme. Aliens are a different type of mythology from another, more recent place and have no bearing on anything. I don't buy that ancient indigenous tribes based their culture on beings from another dimension. I'm a strong believer in the theory that religion was all based on those same indigenous tribes, and other early humans, trying to explain this planet and its workings. They assigned human traits to everything, and thus the gods were born. Aliens? Fucking weak.

By saying "aliens did it" this movie became just like that stupid movie with Julianne Moore and the disappearing kids. What was it called? "The Forgotten" or something. I was hoping for a real resolution there, too, until it became about aliens, and then I lost all interest in it.

Again, I was pleased to see Indy. But I'm irked that he was used to make this movie. They could have used this type of plot with some anonymous character that no one gave two shits about and it might have been more enjoyable. But as an Indiana Jones picture, I feel cheated.
Aramor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal wrote:
but now you can do it proudly.

Hey, I proudly wear a leather jacket.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Forumgoer Unavailable

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indiana Jones goes on one of his trademarked adventures. Spoiler:
Also there's aliens.

Last edited by Forumgoer Unavailable on Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Mako*

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much like ET......

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More like the Abyss.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys for the absence, needed to reboot. Now I’m back it’s time for one of my signature overly long films reviews. I suggest you get some popcorn for this one.

Spoiler:
So, Indy 4. Before I dive into the movie proper I would like to detail a particularly important observation about film series in general that I find of particularly relevance to this series. Whenever a sequel is made, it will usually go for one of two directions. The first is expansion of the fictional ‘verse, typically manifested as a continuation of storyline. On the whole the goal is for development of setting, character, and plot, and each installment adds new creative material to the franchise. This phenomenon is perhaps best exemplified in the Back to the Future and the original Star Wars trilogies. The second option is to ‘surpass’ the previous entries to the series. If the first movie was loved for its action sequences, the sequels will have more action. If it was comedy, more comedy will be attempted. Often running gags from previous films will be used to please the audience. Notable examples of this include the Matrix and Pirates of the Caribbean series.

The astute reader will no doubt notice that the series mentioned in the former case are by far more loved and popular than the latter two. Sometimes the phenomenon can occur within a series, as it did with the Indiana Jones films. There was the first movie, and then the producers tried to surpass the awesome of the first in the second. Although Temple of Doom still stood tall as a film, it was noticeably inferior to the first in many respects, no doubt because Indiana Jones as a character remained fairly static to his original incarnation. Then came along The Last Crusade, and the focus was shifted to expand upon the characters. We delve into the Jones’ family and its issues, Indy’s past, and two of the minor characters from the first film, Marcus Brody and Sallah, are magnificently developed into full fledged characters in their own right. The result was a film that to this day is still argued whether it was better than the original Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Now we have the fourth film. After almost two decades this installment has high expectations. No, that’s wrong, ‘high’ is an understatement of astronomical proportions. Indiana Jones is considered by many to be the single best adventure series of all time. Nothing has ever come close in terms of expectations except for The Phantom Menace. It is a beautiful thing for high hopes to be rewarded, such as the case with Iron Man. And it’s a great disappointment for them to be shat upon, see Matrix or Halo. Which makes Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by far the most soul-wrenching infuriating letdown of all time for me.

The focus was entirely to be the last, biggest, loudest bang ever, and the result is a film that went beyond boring, which is the greatest crime any media can do, but to go all the way to irritating. For example, case study #1: Indiana survives a nuclear explosion at ground zero inside a refrigerator. Case study #2: His kid catches up to motorized vehicles by swinging through the jungle on vines with a horde of monkeys. While most other people will probably respond to those sentences with ‘fucking awesome!’, having been farmed into loving brainless awesomefests 1984 style by films such as 300, the only result for me was a severely cracked suspension of disbelief too thrashed to glue itself back together.

Talking of gluing together, since the focus was obviously on making an awesome film, the plot consists of a myriad of ideas and themes hastily thrown together without care of cohesiveness, consistency, causality, and many other words beginning with ‘c’, and none of them are given any incubation time whatsoever. The most glaring of these is the Henry Jr.-Henry III father/son subplot. Two guys who don’t especially care about each other are given the big reveal, one somehow immediately falls into the role of the pseudo-fascist father while the other denies that there was, is, or ever will be a relationship. A few hours later they manage to form a full, healthy relationship solely by running from and kicking the asses of the Russians. Unlike Crusade there’s virtually no dialogue (such as what happened on the blimp or the motorbike) or truly emotional events (Jr. presumably falling down a cliff) to justify the bonding that occurs between them.

This lack of character development extends to every single persona in the film. We don’t learn anything new about Indiana Jones except that between Crusade and Kingdom he spied on the reds. There’s absolutely nothing new about Marion, except perhaps being more baddass than in the first film, which is not a true development, since that metamorphosis has happened to everyone else in the film. Henry III is basically a genius bruiser.

A special case here has to be made for George McHale (‘Mac’). He’s a fucking xerox copy of Buddy Beni from The Mummy, except with an English accent. He’s a cowardly shit who oscillates between friendly and hostile to our protagonists on a whim. During the film, one’s perception of Mac will likely be as so: “He’s Indy’s friend, wait no he’s not, wait he may, no, wait, yeah he’s good after all, what now he isn’t again, yeah he is, yes he’s finally dead!” He even goes out the same way as Beni, by trying to indulge his greed and then getting killed by the ‘splodin doom fortress. He’s a diluter to the plot, serving no purpose that was really needed for the story.

The main antagonist of the film, Irina Spalko, comes across as a dominatrix wannabe. She’s supposedly an accomplished psychic, and although it would have made for an interesting and menacing villain, it seems her powers are swiftly forgotten about a third into the film. Unlike Belloq, who wished to talk to God or make a name for himself in the history books, or Donovan, seeking personal immortality, or even Mola Ram, who just wanted to beat the Scientologists at the world domination race, Spalko has no unique personal interest in the powers of the crystal skull, which she could have, should have, and would it have happened, combined with the use of psychic powers, made for a villain as memorable, if not more so, than her predecessors. As it stands, she’s basically a stand in personification for the USSR, and as such has no personality of her own whatsoever.

The soviets themselves are absolutely forgettable, imperial stormtrooper marksmanship at its finest, whereas their Nazi forerunners had to be outsmarted to be defeated. Faceless goons each and every one of them, whereas there were many colorful goons in the first three films, notably the Arab swordsman in Cairo who Jones famously shoots, the big square-head in the airplane fight, the tough thugee bastard on the conveyor belt, and that Nazi who goes down a cliff in a tank, just to name some of them. All the ‘special’ Russian goons in this film appeared to be diluted copies of the famous square-head from the first film who apparently got reincarnated into multiple bodies after being sliced up by the propeller.

In the absence of character development the vacuum is filled by action, and lots of it. In the previous films it was nicely paced. It was frequent but broken up and invigorating each time. For the first hour or so it was similar to the previous films, interesting action scenes that didn’t get too boring. But then Indiana Jones survives a nuclear blast at ground zero inside of a fucking refrigerator, and then it’s all downhill from there. From that point on it’s one fight and/or chase after another, constantly, with breaks serving really only to delay the action or squeeze necessary information, not to give the audience a good mental break. By the end Indy takes more of a beating than John McClane ever did. I wish I was fucking kidding with that sentence. In the previous films, this beating was actually noted and properly addressed, but here it seems the Holy Grail really did boost the old man’s survivability. When they finally get a chance to rest after the plot is resolved they just sit down seemingly to enjoy the view, not because their muscles should be convulsing like engine pistons. A little panting and sweating would have relieved most of this problem, but we don’t even get that, even when previous films had it.

Between a lack of character development and overuse of action, we have the inconsistent mess that is the mystery and power of the eponymous crystal skull. Now, the plot devices in the Indiana Jones series are all pretty well known, the Ark and Grail were part of Jewish and Christian literature for millennia, and the Sankara stones are at least based on Hindu history/mythology. But here George Lucas combined the stories of crystal skulls, El Dorado, Nazca Lines, and flying saucers. Fuck me sideways it was flying saucers. Three religiously themed films and suddenly it becomes science fiction. Part of the reason the relics in the first three films worked as a plot device were that they were all menacing. The Ark could level armies, the Sankara Stones could decimate entire villages, perhaps more, and the Grail gave immortality. The skull however? It opens your mind dude. Also it scares ants, makes non-magnetic materials magnetic, and makes cool sound effects. Well I guess it’s not so bad because it was really only a key to Unlimited Powah!™ but even then, what was the big prize that our protagonists had to keep the antagonists from getting their hands on? Enough knowledge to make yourself spontaneously disintegrate apparently. Also the ability to send E.T. home. As for inconsistency, what was so special about this skull when apparently the Russians dug up a number of alien bodies with crystal bones, and where did these other bodies come from? They should have been ancient but apparently they aren’t. If they are still active why didn’t they find the skull, and the saucer, and took the thing home? Also where the hell did Spalko get the idea that the aliens were hive-minded?

So far we got no development of flat characters, too much brainless fist waving, and plot device that simply pisses itself. The resulting excuse of a plot can only remain captivating now by tingling the audience’s nostalgia with old gags and shout outs to the previous films, which it does in abundance. I don’t even want to continue on this section of the film anymore, so now we move away from the horrendous plot to other problems.

Firstly are the CG animals. Come. The. Fuck. On. Some of the most spectacular events in the first films involved using massive quantities of real animals. Snakes, bugs, rats, they were really effective at grossing people out because they were so real. The CG puppets in the fourth installment are so obviously fake, and therefore completely uninteresting. Most of the animals aren’t even gross or scary, but cute. Gophers, monkeys, what the hell are they doing? They’re unnecessary and just kill any tension from the scenes. They’re even used improperly. When they want the big bad to kick the dog by throwing a monkey off a cliff, the thing grabs a tree and is completely all right. Way to spoil to effect. And as stated, the CG ants that were supposed to be menacing came out rather cuddly. Not to mention they absolutely rip off Scorpion King.

Secondly are the South American natives. They’re everywhere. They’re hostile. They’re introduced and scared/killed off without ceremony. They serve no purpose. And they’re everywhere. Are they supposed to be something akin to Crusade’s Brotherhood of the Crucifix Sword? Whatever let’s move on.

Third is the horrendous final act. So it turns out that we really shouldn’t have worried about the power of the crystal skull. It was going to disintegrate whoever unlocked it, and then clean up the whole mess on its own. So that’s finished. Now how do we send this series off with the true final send off? A marriage? Um... okay... oh shit the kid’s gonna take the hat, and then they’re gonna try to reboot the entire damn thing... oh yes thank God he didn’t! Still, walking out of the church has got to be one of the most unsatisfying endings of all time. Crusade had done it spectacularly by finishing an epic movie with an epic ride off into the sunset. Were they really so rushed as to not come up with something comparably fulfilling? They had to have been able to make an epic vista using Amazonian South America. Or something. Anything.

Fourth is the music. Yes it may seem to be minor, but for me music is one of the most important aspects of any film. Horrible music can make a film hard to watch, as had happened in Kingdom. No new cues as had been done with the previous three films, so it all felt as if we were treading the same ground again, and the old cues are just mish-mashed remixes that I quickly decided to tune out as I do with TV commercials. The score simply reeks of ‘been there, done that’. John Williams can do better than that, but he didn`t.

Those are my gripes with the film, and so now I feel obligated to answer any upcoming arguments whether I could have done better. The answer is that I know I could have written a better story myself. Keep the crystal skull, the psychic powers, El Dorado, but dump the saucers and focus instead on a very terrestrial lost magocratic civilization. Dump Mac, maybe bring back Short Round or Sallah if it really would have worked well, and make Spalko a full blown KGB psychic who’s out to make the power of the skull hers (btw, if she’s really a devout communist, perhaps bring up the telepathy angle?). Cut around half the action and try to make the rest plausible, and put much more emphasis on the Jones` father/son relationship and with Indiana’s melancholy and depression concerning the loss of his friends and father. Make the search for the skull mean something. I even have a good idea about a different ending: Do something along the lines of “Let’s go to Peru!” with a pan-up to show off the Paramount mountain that opened up the whole series. That’d totally fit and be satisfying.

See there? In just one paragraph I laid the groundwork for a better film than the travesty that was Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It was a horrendous Indiana Jones movie, on top of being a bad movie in its own right. In my mind now, the Indiana Jones trilogy remains just that: the trilogy. Frankly I see that the actors really tried to make their characters work, and Spielberg is still a great director, but the writing is absolutely shit, thanks to Lucas. You can’t revive a badly designed story no matter how much effort you put into it. And if I could I would locate and painfully murder anyone on the film production crew who didn’t object to CG gophers.

So now I must offer my congratulations for making it all the way to the end. By trudging through all this you now know how I felt watching Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Indy, shine on you crazy diamond...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a magnificent read, Simon.

and welcome back, of course.
Aramor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Sal.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Daffy D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved it.
I'm sorry but anyone who was upset or disspleased by this movie is a spoiled whore. Spoiler:
I'll admit using CGI animals was a strange decision, but what els are they gonna do? Train a bunch of prairy dogs to watch a jet powered thing go by? Can't be done.(Unless you have the Mad Hatter's microchip brainwashing technology) Plus, it takes forever to train 1 monkey let alone a whole tree full! God damn, people!? Also, of course Indy & Marion should get married. #1. They conceived a child together. He has a responsability to make them a whole family. Only Han Solo would run away from such a thing, not Indy. #2. He said it himself. Marion was the only woman Indey ever truly loved. All thoes other chicks were just flings. #3. It makes for a happy, satisfieing ending. Not only does Indy spend the rest of his life with his true love, but he has a son to carry on the Jones legacy. (coming soon, the adventures od Mutt Jones!) Also the whole aliens teaching man to be civilised was not coind by the makers of AVP, it's an old staple in sci-fi, taken from an auther/scientest who believed that we were tampered with by aliens, he wrote a book about it called Chariet of the Gods. It makes sence to use this for the following reasons:
1. Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones and can never be recast. 2. Ford is about 65, there for Indey is 65, so the story takes place in the 1950's! And as we all know, there was a big phanomina of UFO sightings in the 50's, especially after Roswell.
As for Shia Labuf, I thought his performance in Crystal Skull was a far cry from his part in Transformers. Not once while watching this movie did I wan't to strangle him, or shuve pop rocks and coke down his throat. Perhaps it has something to do with working under a superior director. My man Stephen Speilberg! Whatever it is, he has cirtainly learned from his mistakes.
I didn't miss the nazis at all. It's a new story, new era, new bad guys. And Soviets are the only way to go.

In conclusion, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skul is not only a wonderfull addition to the Indy series, but a happy and satisfieing ending (if it is the end). Pluss, it's a far better sequal then Ninja Turtles 3! BLECH!

Now go grab a copy of LEGO Indy! It's awsome!
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoiled whore is definately a way of putting it, but then again I can respond with saying you could perfectly fit my description from earlier in my review regarding the current generation of brainwashed awesomefest junkies. In fact I could use your lists of interests to support such a claim.

Well, everyone's standards are different. But the fact remains that Indiana Jones 4 did completely fly off tangent compared to what the series has done before by bringing in the saucers. So for me, and for a lot of other people, that's a huge break in expectation through which we will see the whole host of flaws in the film that we would have blinded ourselves too had the premise not warped off into the sci-fi sector.

Daffy D wrote:
Spoiler:
I'll admit using CGI animals was a strange decision, but what els are they gonna do? Train a bunch of prairy dogs to watch a jet powered thing go by? Can't be done.(Unless you have the Mad Hatter's microchip brainwashing technology) Plus, it takes forever to train 1 monkey let alone a whole tree full! God damn, people!?
Spoiler:
Well the gophers were completely unnecessary, as maybe I didn't make clear enough in my review. But the previous films didn't use masses of trained animals, they had hordes of nasties that weren't trained. The fact that the audience recognized that the squirmies were untrained and uncontrolled save for the necessary glass sheet at one point (which was near invisible) was part of their spectacular effect in their scenes. Imagine the Well of Souls with CG snakes instead, and compare that to the original, and it should become clear why I gave the film shit about using CG animals.

Daffy D also wrote:
Spoiler:
Also, of course Indy & Marion should get married. #1. They conceived a child together. He has a responsability to make them a whole family. Only Han Solo would run away from such a thing, not Indy. #2. He said it himself. Marion was the only woman Indey ever truly loved. All thoes other chicks were just flings. #3. It makes for a happy, satisfieing ending. Not only does Indy spend the rest of his life with his true love, but he has a son to carry on the Jones legacy. (coming soon, the adventures od Mutt Jones!)
Spoiler:
Han Solo didn't run away from such a thing, and certainly only would have prior to the Battle of Yavin. I don't even know why you bring Han Solo into this. Star Wars has no bearing on this discussion. And I never complained about the fact that the two got married and lived happily ever after. If I did I'd be a completely sociopathic prick with a great big log shoved up my ass. But the way they executed that marriage, especially after the rest of that god awful movie, leaves a whole lot to be desired, imho.

Daffy D then wrote:
Spoiler:
Also the whole aliens teaching man to be civilised was not coind by the makers of AVP, it's an old staple in sci-fi, taken from an auther/scientest who believed that we were tampered with by aliens, he wrote a book about it called Chariet of the Gods. It makes sence to use this for the following reasons:
1. Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones and can never be recast. 2. Ford is about 65, there for Indey is 65, so the story takes place in the 1950's! And as we all know, there was a big phanomina of UFO sightings in the 50's, especially after Roswell.
Spoiler:
No one ever said AVP invented that idea. No one believed that AVP invented that idea. I frankly have no idea why you put that in there, just like I have no idea why you tried to link in Star Wars. And the idea is far older than that. If you think about it, the Garden of Eden story is an example of the trope. An extraterrestrial being (the serpent) teaches humanity to build civilization (by eating from the forbidden tree). Classical mythology is also chock full of it. Who invented music? The goddess Athena. And that's just one instance in that field. The idea that humanity didn't invent civilization on its own is by no means a recent one, and as I stated elsewhere, one I frankly find rather insulting. Also what does it matter what the time period is in the story? As far as I know, there wasn't a huge Grail craze back in the late thirties. And I do believe that the UFO fad actually picked up steam in the sixties, not the fifties. In the fifties it was atom bomb this, atom bomb that. That's one of the reasons why I thought that the psychics-as-weapon idea in Kingdom had a lot of potential, because it actually fit well in the time period, much as the ark and grail did when the story was set just before the second world war.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, spoiled. You are the type of person who would say "Mom! My hot Dog is just lying on the bun doing nothing!".

Also, don't lump me in with modern brainwashed awsomefest junkies. Iam quite the opposite, I assure you.
Azrael

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, a lecture. Welcome back, Simon.

Spoiler:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, live with that. Not trying to sound hostile...

Yes, the film jumped a fat shark. It seemed more like they were restarting the series rather than continuing it (at least to me). But really? Did you expect the same shock and awe after a 4th film? There are exceptions, yes, but those rarely come. It did really seem like Lucas and Spielberg were both trying to leave their own watermark in the series, Lucas with those CG gophers, and Spielberg just by trying to ressurect a long gone series. But you've got to give them credit, they certainly did try to bring something new to the series, but they still could have done better, I agree.

There were alot of things that should have been dropped or changed, Mac just did not have enough value as a character. The Russians just did not seem as menacing as the Nazis. More emphasis was required on all the history they referenced. Simon has laready addressed most of these things.

My own personal gripes though were several selct things. CG gophers and monkeys was not cool. Point-blank machine gun fighting, and NO ONE got shot. The scene where Indy and the Russian were fighting while surrounded by ants, am I the only one who felt they were just hitting each other for way too long? Shia LaBoof catching up to a car-shase in the middle of the jungle, by swinging on vines. WTF? In fact, some parts seemed like they would have been featured in an Epic Movie spoof, mainly when Shia LaBiff was repeatedly whacked by plants in the crotch.

What I did like though, was the new story twist. All the Indy films have been about supernatural forces, so I thought it was cool that they explored the theory of ancient aliens. It could have been executed in a much better way, but I liked the effort. I was pleased to see Marion return, I always wondered about her sudden abscence in the 3rd film. It was still true to the series, the film followed the general Indy movie template. People would have liked a change in that, but that's what makes up the Indy films; powerful artifact, stereotypical Eastern-Europeans, captured by said Eastern-Euros, snake scene, big chase or two, plane travel montage, over-the-top lucking out (specifically the refrigerator), revelation, then big bang.

That said, I really enjoyed the film. It may not have pleased all the fans, but I went to be entertained, and I left entertained. I'm not sure if they should continue the franchise, but if they do, I'm sure Mr. Lucas and Mr. Spielberg will fix some of their goofs.

This was all in my opinion.

Don't tase me, bro.

Married to SpideyGirl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: