Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
NY Cranes are falling down, My Fair Lady.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> The Soap Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alternate Spideygal

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: NY Cranes are falling down, My Fair Lady. Reply with quote

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080530/ap_on_re_us/crane_collapse

Yes. It happened again.

For those who may not remember; on March 15th there was an accident involving a crane which took the lives of about a dozen people. It was a horrible incident that made New Yorkers wary of the building and the constant upgrading going on around them. It also made New Yorkers question our safety. When a crane is being examined for safety...if a problem is found; you stop construction, you report the faulty crane or other form of heavy machinery, and get a new one before an accident happen. The only reason why the faulty equipment is not being reported is because it costs money to stop construction. And on top of that the building is most likely on a deadline therefore it has to be finished by a certain time. But...deadlines and money do not compare to lives being lost. My dad is an Electrician. I fear for his life every day because of accidents like this.

I spoke to a girl about it earlier today. She was a bit of an airhead but she did make a good question. "Why not use something else to build if the cranes keep falling?"

If we had the technology to build buildings without using cranes and other heavy machinery that's going to kill people if it's not handled properly then we would use it. But it also depends on how quick and how efficient it's going to be. If we had the tech to build something but it's going to take 7 years instead of 5 then we're going to still use the cranes. It's faster, it'll keep production within the budget and the building will look the same way it would if we had taken the safer route and used the slower but less dangerous machine.

New York is always trying to be the biggest and the best...but if that means sacrificing good men and women...I don't think it deserves to be called the Greatest City on Earth.

Married to Azrael.
Queen of Innuendo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Blaster

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not entirely aware of how many accidents have occurred or if it is statistically significant. If shortcuts are made for the purpose of saving time and money that are likely to put people in danger, than something should be done about it.

People who work in construction are, of course, more likely to be affected by such accidents, but the media were quick to resort to fearmongering in the wake of these incidents. I was watching the news tonight--ABC, I believe--and, during the teaser to the story, the anchor said, "Could you be at risk?" To this I mentally replied, "Not likely. It's more probable that I will be killed by lighting in the lifetime." The anchor also had the temerity to refer to these accidents as "urban shark attacks." I would assume this was to highlight their sudden and tragic nature. Needless to say, I tuned out at this point.
Alternate Spideygal

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban shark attacks? That's just plain stupid. People got hurt and someone died. Why not talk about the incident from March 15th and compare it with what happened yesterday?

It may not affect you Blaster but it definitely affects me. The accident happened on 91st street and 1st avenue. My school is on 96th street between 1st and 2nd avenue. It wasn't scary...it was just unnerving. Every time I see a crane I'm wary of it. I don't trust NYC construction any more. The construction workers are great...they do their job. But it's the fact that the contractors and inspectors are not doing the right thing and putting these hard working men and women at risk. I personally think that's kinda fucked up.

If your own workers can't trust your judgment on whether it's okay to continue building...then you know you're doing it wrong.

Married to Azrael.
Queen of Innuendo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> The Soap Box All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: