Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
New Metallica

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smiley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: New Metallica Reply with quote

I was a big Metallica fan when I was a kid. I loved their first three albums, and 1987's "...And Justice For All" was passable if a bit technical and progressive.

Then their 1992 album came out and it was a slow, steady decline of quality. I bought "Load", listened to it three times, then sold it at a used CD place and never looked back. They released more shit which was some other band using the name, and I didn't care. Lars got sand in his vagina over Napster, and the hypocrisy pissed me off. Considering the band got their first major break from people bootlegging their demo all over California, it was infuriating.

I heard the buzz about their new album, about their alleged return to their thrash roots. Out of curiosity I checked out some tunes on YouTube and was blown away. Then my wife got me tix to their DC show for my birthday, and the album came free with the purchase, as well as a free recording of the show I'll be attending in January.

The new Metallica album is the one I've been waiting for ever since "...Justice". It shreds. I recommend it highly. The music is really, really good. The more I listen to it the moer it grows on me. Even the two ballad-like tunes are good. Well, "The Unforgiven III" is just okay. It's a bit whiny. But the rest of the album kicks all ass. Too bad the idiots who mixed and mastered it fucked up the levels so many parts of the album sound distorted and compressed. Stupid digital recording noobs.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a big fan of their early stuff, but I'd have to say I really dug that real country rock sound they developed round about load and reload. We won't talk about anything after that, but I haven't heard the new one yet.

Master Chainsaw wrote:
Aurelyn becomes enraged by imbecilic displays of illiteracy, as is his wont.

Simon_Says wrote:
Sal would know. He stole many jobs from guys named Shaun.
Sal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i've said this many times before but there's no hurt in saing this again. i think Load is the coolest album they did (coolest, not best, Master of Puppets is undisputable), and much as i admire and respect the four classic albums, i always had a soft spot for the post-Black Metallica of Load/Reload/Garage (S&M was a bit too much). it may be because of that grungey feel they had back then.
St Anger i didn't like, but i respected the need for change it showed.
Death Magnetic, however, is just a full-time excercise in recycling, to which i fail to see a point, other than regaining the dubious respect of the old school metalheads who'll gladly return to hating Metallica the moment they dare to turn away form the 80's thrash sound again. i wouldn't bother in their place.
Aramor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Then again, I like most of their stuff.

Which, according to the Star Wars fandom theory means I'm not a real Metallica fan, but fuck that.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Azrael

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only own five Metallica Albums, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All, The Black Album, and now their latest release.

I don't own the rest, but I do have many songs from Kill 'Em All, Load, ReLoad, Garage Inc, and I even have all the tracks from S&M. However I did not like St. Anger.

Anyways, new album is good, but not like the first albums.

Married to SpideyGirl.
Smiley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should pick up "Garage Days Re-Revisited". It's a great E.P. with some really good cover tunes. It's raw and heavy and sounds great. It's the one that came out after "Master" and before "Justice".
Munan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal wrote:
i think Load is the coolest album they did (coolest, not best, Master of Puppets is undisputable), and much as i admire and respect the four classic albums, i always had a soft spot for the post-Black Metallica of Load/Reload/Garage (S&M was a bit too much). it may be because of that grungey feel they had back then.
St Anger i didn't like, but i respected the need for change it showed.
Death Magnetic, however, is just a full-time excercise in recycling, to which i fail to see a point, other than regaining the dubious respect of the old school metalheads who'll gladly return to hating Metallica the moment they dare to turn away form the 80's thrash sound again. i wouldn't bother in their place.

Hear hear. I absolutely love Until it sleeps. Smiley's comments got me curious about their new record, though.
Sal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Munan: this should put you off enough.
Munan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woopsy... after two minutes I literally had to force myself to keep listening - I had to stop watching, though.

That was... not good... Sad

Also, if the band shots were not really filmed on location (i.e. in Iraq) Metallica are pussies compared to Michael Franti.

Which I guess they are...
Frost

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a single music video from Metallica that I thought was even the least bit interesting.
-- Zapp Brannigan
Smiley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There appears to be a vast schism between fans of Metallica from when Cliff Burton was alive, and those who got on the boat after they broke through to mainstream. I've found almost universally that the fans, like me, who were enamored with the heavy, raw, in-your-face thrash of the first three albums tend to really like the new one. Meanwhile the fans who started getting into the band once they were playing simpler, more formulaic and more mass appeal soft rock think the new album is less than stellar.

Personally, "Load" was the nail in the coffin for me. They changed their logo, they started wearing glam makeup in music videos ("Until It Sleeps") and the guitar solos vanished. To me, that was some other band using the Metallica name to make mountains of cash rather than music I cared about.

This new album has returned to their full-on metal roots. The songs are longer and more intricate. Sure, I could have done without yet another sequel to "The Unforgiven" but even that song is starting to grow on me. The musicianship is there. It's still raw and heavy but the mastery of their instruments is evident.

And really, any fan of "One" or "Fade To Black" will grow to appreciate "The Day That Never Comes" after a few listens. Not the video, it's distracting. Just listen to the music. The end jam with the harmonizing guitars sounds amazing live. Just do a quick YouTube search for them playing it live. It's amazing.

Meh. Different strokes for different folks.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smiley wrote:
Meanwhile the fans who started getting into the band once they were playing simpler, more formulaic and more mass appeal soft rock think the new album is less than stellar.

Not that you're judging them or anything... Razz

Master Chainsaw wrote:
Aurelyn becomes enraged by imbecilic displays of illiteracy, as is his wont.

Simon_Says wrote:
Sal would know. He stole many jobs from guys named Shaun.
Munan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smiley wrote:
And really, any fan of "One" or "Fade To Black" will grow to appreciate "The Day That Never Comes" after a few listens.

No. Sorry, but no. Absolutely love "One" but "The Day That Never Came" will not be my thing. How do I know? First time I heard "One" was exhilirating, first time I heard "The Day That Never Came" was... well, whoopsy, that was quite dreadful, really.
Sal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

count me in, too.
Fade To Black, Sanitarium, One - brilliant stuff.
that new thing desperately tries to recreate that ol' feeling and fails spectacularly.
Smiley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelyn wrote:
Smiley wrote:
Meanwhile the fans who started getting into the band once they were playing simpler, more formulaic and more mass appeal soft rock think the new album is less than stellar.

Not that you're judging them or anything... Razz

I thought the material that the band put out from 1993-present sucked. That's not an indictment of the fans, that's an opinion of the music. Like I said, different strokes.

They may be well past the days of glory, but I think the new album is a step in the right direction. I've been listening to it a few times a week since I got it. I'm thrilled at it. Very Happy
Frost

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Unforgiven III. But I liked the other two also.
-- Zapp Brannigan
Azrael

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smiley wrote:
And really, any fan of "One" or "Fade To Black" will grow to appreciate "The Day That Never Comes" after a few listens.

Those are my two favorite songs by them. Smile

But I generally liked the new album. I liked "The Day That Never Comes", and I also thought "Unforgiven III" was pretty good, certainly better than the previous one. Although it did take me alot of plays to enjoy "Cyanide".

But in my opinion, the new album is simply different, not like the old or later albums, but different. What I did appreciate the most is that now they brought back more influences from older ablums like Master of Puppets and Justice For All.

Married to SpideyGirl.
Smiley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say enough good things about "Suicide and Redemption". I think it's by far my favorite track.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: