Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Teaching members (split from a Soap Box topic)
    page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> General B.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cfos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koko: I'd agree with Auerlyn. It is easy to spot, regardless of whether the person in question acknowledges it. I mean, what students often forget is that faculty were students once. Reminds me of one of my favorite articles for the onion (*L* No, it isn't a picture of me. I probably look more like Tom Green than the guy in the pic).

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/39016
Munan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so funny and reminds me why I used to be so happy that I was living in another city than the one where I teach.

Now that I live here all the time, though, I'm forced to go to places where my students might be as well. A few weeks ago, I stumbled - quite in my cups, to tell you the truth - into a bar where I knew chances were high my students would be and while being pulled onto the dancefloor by some girls I used to work in a bar with during my own student days, I was nervously glancing around if there was any student to be seen. It all felt really disastrous, untill I found out that the only person I knew was actually my very pretty colleague who teaches popular culture at our department and whose office is on the other side of the corridor. She was quite drunk as well and dancing with ridiculously young boys...
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cork is too small, and there are too many students for me to worry about running into them out on the piss. I don't think it's an issue really tho - quite frequently members of the faculty (let alone us lowly postgrads) end up going for pints with whoever's left in the department on a friday evening, students and all... Bonding, I think they call it. Smile

Master Chainsaw wrote:
Aurelyn becomes enraged by imbecilic displays of illiteracy, as is his wont.

Simon_Says wrote:
Sal would know. He stole many jobs from guys named Shaun.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm resurrecting this thread to ask the opinion of some of the other teachers around here on Multiple Intelligence Theory. I'm trying to write an essay on its application in modern teaching and I can't get past the notion that it seems to be an incredible fascist way of making people accept their place in society. Possibly I'm being too political about it.

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Simon_Says wrote:
Blaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you certainly had an interesting reaction to it. We are talking about Gardner's multiple intelligences theory, right?

I perceived it more as a way of making everybody feel special. The theory posits that there are various types of intelligence, and people tend to learn in different ways. It seemed to me that, under the theory, just about everybody can be considered to be "smart" in some way.

The problem with the theory is that, while it does make a few good points, and while it does sometimes have a ring of truth to it, there really isn't very much to the theory itself. Gardner proposes the notion of multiple intelligences, yet he never lays out any type of in-depth framework for teaching to the various modes of learning, nor does he offer any way to measure and test the various forms of intelligence.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess maybe I am being too political about it. As I understand it, Gardner didn't actually intend the theory to be used as a framework around which to teach; rather he was challenging the more traditional singular notion of intelligence.

My first reaction to it, though, was that by making everyone feel special in some way, it encourages people to accept their place in society, without striving to better themselves or question why their place is more shit than somebody else's. For instance, this guy is sweeping the streets, not because he got a raw deal or was too lazy to apply himself, but because he's got a natural talent for sweeping the streets (Just an example). I've heard plenty of seriously right-wing heads come out with similar shit - Thatcher would have loved it, and I'm sure I've heard Prince Charles talk about different intelligences.

Like I said, though, maybe I'm reading too much into it!

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Simon_Says wrote:
Blaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I personally think that you are taking it a bit far, but your reaction is the kind of radical interpretation on which people base doctoral theses. Wink I definitely salute your out-of-the-box thinking.

That said, I think that the more common worry would be that multiple intelligences is a feel-good theory designed to make everyone feel special rather than a subtly-orchestrated attempt to quell the aspirations of the "lower classes" and maintain the status quo.
Aramor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a bit like communism to me.

Then again, I don't really know all that much about communism... or that Multiple Intelligence Theory thing...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Munan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaster wrote:
That said, I think that the more common worry would be that multiple intelligences is a feel-good theory designed to make everyone feel special rather than a subtly-orchestrated attempt to quell the aspirations of the "lower classes" and maintain the status quo.

I second Blaster and that's also why I dislike that theory.

That and the fact that it seems to be based on a very modernist notion of what it means to be an individual (i.e. constant and with a definable essence) to which I do not subscribe at all.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - I ended up taking the political subtext out of my essay in the end - I feel it probably would have been met with little more than bemusement!

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Simon_Says wrote:
Robot Chicken Koko

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem! Glad I could be of some assistance!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> General B.S. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: