Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Alien³

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Aliens, Predators, all that
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akuma

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Alien³ Reply with quote

I just watched this again. It had been a very long time sinceI've seen it, so it was like washing it almost fresh.

Why does everyone hate this movie so much?

Watching it again, it's awesome.

So tell me haters, why do you hate it so?
Frost

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the movie. I love Resident Evil, Doom, Chronicles of Riddick and a whole lotta other movies no one else seems to. Very Happy
-- Zapp Brannigan
Azrael

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't hate it. I thought it was okay. The thing I didn't like was that all the convicts looked just like each other (except the black guys Razz), and most of them had an English accent. So it got very confusing in the lead mold scene when they were all running aorund.

Married to SpideyGirl.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, how is Alien 3 not likable?

It wasn't the best of the series (that honor goes to Aliens), but it was good!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard lots of people trash this movie, disowning it from the series and whatnot.

*I* liked it, always have. I just wanted to hear from anyone that did not.
Ukenfurr, Predator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Alien3 much when i saw it its been like 5 years since ive seen it i may go rent it again..
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akuma wrote:
I've heard lots of people trash this movie, disowning it from the series and whatnot.

I think your confusing Alien 3 with Alien 4.
Alien 4 wasn't that good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien 4 was just as good as 3.
-- Zapp Brannigan
Aramor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mango wrote:
The thing I didn't like was that all the convicts looked just like each other (except the black guys Razz), and most of them had an English accent. So it got very confusing in the lead mold scene when they were all running aorund.

After seeing it more than three times you'll get to know the inmates...

Anyhoo, I loved Alien³. Just like the other movies. Maybe this also has something to do with the order I watched them in: 4, 1, 3, 2... but I've seen them in the correct order plenty of times.

What I don't like is that they cut out a very nice scene in the Director's Cut... I mean, isn't the Director's Cut supposed to be the movie plus more? Well, besided the change from dog to ox...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell was an ox doing on Fiorina any way?
Only the shadow knows...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They used it to tow stuff and for food... I reckon...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
oxide

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a main reason for some hating Alien3 were the plot holes, for instance, how did the queen manage to lay another egg inside their ship, despite being preoccupied with trying to kill Newt and the rest all the time she was in there? (The egg was not in the dropship, it was in their big military ship, near the sleep pod things)

It also really sucked how right at the beginning we find that Newt, Bishop AND Hicks all turn out to be dead.

One of the worst for me involved Ripley, in both the last movies she's portrayed as a vulnerable but strong character, who despite impossible odds manages to fight and kill these deadly aliens and survive it all, thereby becoming a heroic figure. I suppose in the back of my mind she was meant to stay this way, be like a superhero and not die. But then not only does she become impregnated/infected but dies as well, this was quite the anticlimax and disrupted the continuity of her character. Its a bit like in 007: Die Another Day where Bond gets captured and tortured for MONTHS, these characters are supposed to be invincible! So that was probably one of my biggest dissapointments.

Although I must say I didn't hate the movie, I thought it was cool (most movies with space ships and dirty future-things have these as redeeming qualities) A look at this prison world of the future, these kinds of things interest me.

So thats about it anyway, my rant. Alien 4 was cool.

P.S. The hideous alien mutant in Alien 4 was not cool, it made me sick.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxide brings up my main complaints as well. First of all, don't begin with an unbelievable premise simply for the sake of making another movie. Secondly, if there is a chance that you may want to make other movies in the future, it behooves you not to kill off all of your characters.
DarthDidious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the movie, questionable premises aside. The queen is a smart cookie, and I think its perfectly within the realm of possibility (although still a bit far-fetched) that upon separating from her egg sac and pursuing Ripley she brought an egg with her. Her survival instinct and the fact that she's smarter-than-your-av-er-age-alien would make it possible that she would think to bring an egg with her. Because of the vagaries of movie editing we don't actually see her take the egg or see her carrying it (she may of had it resin-ed to herself or something), but that doesn't mean it isn't there. I mean, we don't actually see her get on the drop ship, but lo-and-behold, there she is. You also can't rule out the possibility that she just laid an egg while she was on the ship. Just because she's separated from her egg sack doesn't make it impossible for her to lay eggs.

And as to how the egg somehow gets to the cryogenic compartment, well I should point out that I don't think its made clear that the egg is actually in the cryogenic compartment. We see it only for a split second, and I don't think its glaringly obvious that its in the cryogenic compartment. I could be wrong though, so next time I watch it I'll be sure to pause it right on that scene and have a closer look. In any case, it was probably somewhere else in the ship (namely the landing bay where the queen actually was) and the facehugger made its way to the cryogenic compartment, simply "following the scent" to the hosts.

For people who then bring up that it was only one facehugger and so then how can there be two aliens (the "dog" alien and the queen in Ripley), this is where the theory for the "super facehugger" has come in. This facehugger is able to impregnate two hosts, one with the queen, and the other with a warrior that will incubate and emerge long before the queen does, and so will ensure its survival. It makes sense when you think about it. The theatrical version of the movie never makes it clear, but the directors cut version makes it pretty obvious that this is a very different kind of facehugger, as one of the inmates finds the facehugger and holds it up. It is much larger, has a longer heavier tail, and has webbing between its "fingers". Given that it carries a queen embryo, it needs to be better armoured and a lot stronger than you normal facehugger.

So, that's how I rationalize it. Yes, its a far-fetched premise, but if you can get past that it doesn't change the fact that its a good movie. People who bash it are generally those who hate the fact that Hicks and Newt were killed off. They would have rather seen Ripley marry Hicks, adopt Newt, and they would all live happily ever after as the supreme alien ass-kicking family. I can't tell you how stupid that sounds. People who wanted things to go this way are forgetting something that I think is fundamental to the character of Ripley. From the very beginning she has had to face this evil alone. That is her curse. She can never experience the joy of family, because her only purpose is to destroy the alien. If the people who wanted things to go differently actually got what they wanted and a movie was made with Ripley, Hicks, and Newt, it would suck. It destroys a key element to Ripley's character: the fact that she is a tragic character. She is one big tragedy. I think that's something that you can't ever separate from her, and going the way than many fans seemed to have preferred would have been a very bad idea.

So, I strongly disagree with people who think Alien 3 sucked. Most of the time its for the same old reasons about killing off Hicks and Newt and so on. They don't bother even judging the movie simply as a movie, and not just a sequel. Alien 3 was actually the first Alien movie I watched (though I didn't watch the whole thing). In fact, it was that iconic scene where the alien approaches Ripley's face, and extends its double jaws at her, that got me hooked as a alien fan. I was 6 years old, and ever since I've been obsessed, and I always shall be.

oxide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there a shot that showed one of the sleeping chamber reflecting an egg opening? Which would suggest the egg was in the room with them. Although I might be remembering it wrong, it might have just reflected the facehugger actually climbing on to the chamber.. So now thats out of the way (not really, whatever..)

You make valid points Didious, I didn't know about the superfacehugger concept. And your right about Ripley being a tragic character, but I think for alot of people her DYING was perhaps stepping a bit too far. She's (was) a survivor, and it was quite the anticlimax. It doesn't help that this happens in the end, meaning it is the single most powerful lasting impression on viewers.

So I'll say again that I personally don't hate the movie, I think it was an interesting change, despite the few little, umm, down points?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm kinda new here, but thought I'd say hello Smile I would indeed vote Abe and Preston!

I'm not a huge fan of Alien 3, but it has been a long time since I saw it and I've yet to see the Director's Cut DVD, certainly reputed to be better. I think what bothered me about it was that it rendered Aliens almost totally irrelevant; if it had come straight on from Alien there wouldn't have been a whole lot of difference.

I don't know if this gets posted all the time, but this website:

http://home.online.no/~bhundlan/scripts/alien3/

has a load of different drafts for Alien 3 projects; elements of some made it into the final movie, others not so much. I personally love the first William Gibson script, it does something different by really playing to the political action thriller concept, rather than just another "no good weapons, motley crew, kill 'em off 1 by one" idea. Have a read, see what you think. I assume the website is fairly genuine (it would be a LOT of work for someone to fake it, these are lengthy scripts!) so have a snoop, see what you think.

Cheers,
Ali
Frost

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did they kill off all of the characters. Usually when they do that, it is because the actors don't want to be in the movie or any following movies.

However, the actors were just as pissed as we were that their characters died.
-- Zapp Brannigan
scottishali

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the script development was long and difficult (the earliest one has Hicks as the lead) - the final film came out 7 years after Aliens, so Carrie Henn would have aged (mostly) and I get the impression Hicks was a victim of succssive rewrites. Definitely a mistake, one Michael Biehn made plenty of money on, at least!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Aliens, Predators, all that All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: