Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
ATI2DVAG Driver Problem - Help Needed!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: ATI2DVAG Driver Problem - Help Needed! Reply with quote

Machine Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Clawhammer
Asus K8N-E Deluxe (Nvidia N-Force 3 Chipset)
Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
1024 MB SDRAM from OCZ (Exact model unknown)

It's been happening for some time now. Randomly (between ~30 minutes after login and during login), my computer crashes, and either 1 of three things happens:

1) I get this message stating that ATI2DVAG driver has stopped responding. The screen sets to 800x600 resolution, and 16 bit colors.

2) Blue screen of death pops up, saying something about ATI2DVAG.dll is not working... Machine restarts before anything useful can be gathered from the screen.

3) Monitor just goes blank.

When I check the error report, it says that the video card has been stuck in an infinite loop (I admit I have no clue what this is), and either the programming for the card, or the card itself, are not functioning normally.

I've ruled out the card overheating, by replacing the arctic silver on the GPU. I'm checking if the older drivers work, but I'm having no luck there. Reinstalling windows did not fix the problem.

This leaves two apparent options as I see it:
1) The Nvidia Chipset is interfering with the ATI card (though this is very doubtful, as I never had problems like this before.)
2) The card itself has fried and needs replacement (I'll see if my other 9800 Pro will work.)

I've searched, but no one seems to have an answer, only vague advice to upgrade drivers and such (which doesn't work), and nothing like this is supported or addressed on ATI's site.

So now I'm working with no drivers whatsoever, and that seems to alleviate the problem, but it's a slow shit and it isnít pretty without the drivers. So I'm putting a call to anyone and everyone out there: Does anyone know what is going on with my video card? Help would be greatly appreciated, because I'm not very keen on the idea of forking over a few hundred bucks for a new video card.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a few interesting hits when I searched for the dll and something about a video card.

Besides upgrading the drivers, I saw some other ideas:

Quote:
Go into your MB bios (Del or F2 depending on AMI or Phoenix) and reset your settings to Factory Default. Sounds to me like a timing issue on the AGP or PCI bus, I tried overclocking an Old nVidia Gforce 256 and what you describe is similar to my experience.

Quote:
A: If you have overclocked anything in your bios, return it back to spec.Crashes are easily made with MSI based mobo, when overclocked.
B: Uninstall uneeded softwares that are not being used.
C: Defrag hardrive
D: Run Scandisk
E: Set your sound card hardwareware acceleration 2 notches to the left.
-Control Panel-Sound and Audio Devices Properties-Advanced button located in Speaker Settings-Performance Tab-Move the sound notch to the left twice
In doing so, the notch should be on the 2nd marker on the left.
F: Update drivers again.G: Remove uneeded startup programs Office toolbar, download managers, messaging programs, etc. (leave your firewall and antivirus alone).
H: You can remove uneeded startup software by removing the shortcuts located in the startmenu.
-Start-All programs-Startup-Delete the shortcuts in the "Startup" menu
I: Type "MsConfig" (w/out quotes) in the "run" command located in the "Start" menu.
Click the last tab labeled "Startup" and uncheck mark any messaging programs, download programs, anything associated to Quicktime and Real Player. Reboot if necessary.

Quote:
I had this problem when I upgraded my graphics card. I removed the drivers first and installed the new ones for the card, but it left something behind.
I would recommend getting the driver & Cab cleaner software (google to find a download) run it and then install the drivers again. This should sort you out.
It did sort me out anyway.

They might help you lead in the right direction; hope everything gets sorted out.
BaconNeggs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wassup,
There's a knowledge base article on ATI's site that sounds like what you have.
https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=854

ASUS updates their bios like every 2 weeks, so mebbe you can try flashing your bios. Also you can try going into control panel to uninstall the card, then finding that .DLL and deleting it, restart the comp and install.

I still think XP is a piece of shit and still stick with 2000. Its more stable and there's no real advantage xp offers me.

you can also flash the video card BIOs:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/91
A quick search and I couldn't find ATI bios files anywhere tho.

This is rare but you might try a RAM error check program. Do your sticks have heatsinks on them?
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I no longer have the problem.

Seems my video card just died, repalced it with an identical one and now it's working fine.

Thanks for all the suggestions though. However neither upgrading the chipset, BIOS, or altering BIOs settings helped at all.

Blaster... someone... lock da thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: