Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Walk Hard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Walk Hard Reply with quote

"Walk Hard. The Dewey Cox Story" is a modern classic, period.
briefly: it's a pastiche of a cliched Hollywood biopic, with "Walk The Line" and "Ray" being the parody's primary targets.
but at times it's surprisingly serious, too. it could admittedly do without some of the trashier comedy moments (the movie would really work as a serious drama, too), but it does not make it any less amazing. it really is a must, whether you're a history-of-rock freak like me, or you just like a good movie with fantastic original songs in it, do yourself a favor and see it if you haven't.
John C. Reilly's performance (both acting- and singingwise) is a masterpiece in its own right. the songs are all teriffic, the Dylan-period stuff in particular will leave you jawdropped (if you have at least a passing awareness of what consituted the classic Dylan style, that is). make sure to get the soundtrack, too, coz you're bound to want to hear the songs again and again and again. a handful of very tasty cameos also add to the general awesomeness (look out for Jack White as Elvis!).
i can't understand how this flick went by under the radar like it did. i only saw it by accident, being tipped off about it by a friend, and i'd never even heard of it before. shame shame shame. if there ever was a material for a cult movie, this is it.

cfos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal, I can. The movie wasn't all that. It was predictable and too long. Compare Walk Hard to Spinal Tap and you will find Walk Hard losing in just about every category.
cfos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed (sorry, double-post).
Sal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, comparing anything to Spinal Tap is an unfair match.* of course Walk Hard is not that groundbreaking and innovative, and of course it's predictable - it's a parody! good parody only makes sense if it follows a well-known formula adding a twist here and there. if the added twists are done cleverly, we are talking about a clever top class parody. and that's what we have here.
of course, no one can be forced to appreciate the parody for what it's worth. and i admitted myself some of the lesser humor was unnecessary - so i'm not saying it's perfect. i do repeat though, the main character and the music are two factors that make it way above average.

* having said that, the original songs written for Dewey Cox are at least the same quality as the ones written for Spinal Tap.
cfos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You raise some valid points, Sal. I do think there was also another thread here devoted to this movie.

Anyway, I don't deny understanding that which contributes to parady. The main problem, I guess, is that Walk Hard tried to address ALL of them. THAT got monotonousrhinocerous. Seriously. The subtlety of Joe "Mama" Bessor playing the drums in Toyko (sp?) was genius at the end of Spinal Tap. If they were to try that in Walk Hard, they would have 13 different drummers over the course of the movie. Overload. Yeah, the "don't take my monkey" and the "I'm only 15" had humor. The songs were funny. It was too much, too long and the playing catch at the end was overkill. Yeah.

Look, what I said may seem like bashing, but it isn't. The movie was ok. not what i would call a classic due to aforementioned overkill. Do I feel the urge to see it again? No. No need. Will I buy the DVD? No. Will I watch it when it goes into rerun circulation on the TNTs? No. I'll flip back to The Transporter, Underworld, or something with Wesley Snipes. Not necessarily "better" movies per se, just preference. Will you watch the movie again, Sal? Seriously? Like 5 times? I dunno. It is a time investment. Not something that keeps me in my seat. Now if you called "In Bruge" a modern classic. I would agree.
Sal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in reply to your direct question, i've just watched it for the second time. i think i might watch it for the third time in several months, to refresh it. but fourth and fifth? no, i guess not. there'll be other stuff to watch, and like you said, it's time investment.
so yeah, if that's the criterion for a classic, i guess i'll have to give in. alright, so it's not a classic, but it's a good movie with fantastic, clever, stylish, original songs in it, i'll be repeating that till i drop. go listen to the songs.

and yes, i do agree some of it was overkill, with more subtlety and less "comedy" it would be even better.

damn, overanalyzing certainly takes joy away from a feel-good movie like this.
cfos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal, i hope you don't think that I think any less of you for liking that movie. Re-read that once more.

Like I said, I thought the movie was ok, just not a "classic". Sure, the songs were good and catchy, but the movie as a whole just didn't do it for me. Just my opinion. The songs weren't enough to carry the movie as a whole and while I respect John C. Riley (sp?) he is a better supporting actor than the main. Honestly, I also thing that Tim Meadows is a drain on ANY and EVERY thing he touches. He was a drain on SNL when a cast member, he didn't help the short-lived Kramer-Seinfeld spinoff, his Lady's man movie (spin off of SNL, not that he had an memorable characters)...? Horrible. He also seems to have replaced American Pie's $hit-brick in the sitcom "'Till Death". Riley did not have a good supporting cast that also ruins the movie for me -- and don't get me wrong -- I love the chick from the Office who was one of his wives (also, if you are a fan of Riley, check out the very, short-lived-almost-straight-to-video, "The Promotion".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZHwG7CyZFQ

Again, an "ok" movie, but I think knowing that you liked Dewey, you will probably like this one more than I did.

Of course, also check out In Bruge. i consider that movie more of a modern "classic". Good cast, funny movie. Great shooting. THAT is more of what I consider a classic. You are free to disagree. Having said all this, I normally don't like Colin.
drstamen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this movie to be very funny.

Both this and the Rocker are my favorite music comedies of all time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: