Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
The Dark Knight - reactions and opinions
    page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cfos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelyn wrote:
What's with all the Maggie hate here? I thought she was great. Maybe she was only there to be sexy, but as Simon pointed out, that is the character's only role in the movie. At least she was sexy, as opposed to Katie Holmes, who was just bland.

+1
Ipsa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelyn wrote:
What's with all the Maggie hate here? ... At least she was sexy, as opposed to Katie Holmes, who was just bland.

I thought she was only slightly better than Holmes. And she looked awful.

The movie as a whole I wouldn't say is better than "Batman Begins." I liked it, but I'm not going to gush out "It was awesome," etc.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a vast improvement - Liam Neeson = lame; Heath Ledger = fantastic.

Master Chainsaw wrote:
Aurelyn becomes enraged by imbecilic displays of illiteracy, as is his wont.

Simon_Says wrote:
Sal would know. He stole many jobs from guys named Shaun.
Sal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally saw it today.
it was good. not the omg-best-movie-ever kind of good, just good.
ok, Ledger's performance was admittedly inspired, but i can't help thinking his sudden death contributed largely to people everywhere considering his Joker brilliant beyong the scale. you know i'm right.
i really liked Eckhart too, although his dialogue tended to be rather heavy-handed.
as for Bale, however, i feel that he was more convincing in the previous one. but maybe that's because there wasn't that much of him to be seen. Batman's not really the center of attention this time around, being constantly overshadowed by both Joker and Dent, and actually even Gordon. but that was in a way always the case with Batman movies. the vilains are cool, and the Bat is following them in silence.

Maggie Gyllenhaal? infinitely more sexy than Katie Babyface Cruise. nuff said.

but i have some objections, most important of which is: for a movie that boasts of bringing the raw realism into the comic book convention, it requires your suspension of disbelief WAY too many times.
Spoiler:
this is mostly Joker-related. for one, he's being too bloody indestructible, getting out of a truck which has done a somersault and walking away as if nothing happened. Batman's got an ultra hi-tech army uniform and he gets severely mauled a few times himself. Joker's probably too cool to get hurt.
also, about halfway into the movie i started getting annoyed at Joker's apparently supernatural ability to plant vast quantities of explosives at any given place at any given time with no effort whatsoever. unless he spent last five years or so sneaking around Gotham and setting the bombs up everywhere just in case, so that it's all there when he needs it and all he's got to do is to get the right detonator out of his drawer. probably not though.

not to mention that it undermines rather drastically his alleged "agent of chaos and anarchy" philosophy*. for a guy that disses on everybody's pathetic attempts to scheme and plan their little worlds instead of letting the chaos factor decide, HE'S GOT IT ALL METICULOUSLY PLANNED TO EVERY LAST SECOND, doesn't he? i count it as the writers' blatant (and spectacularly failed) attempt at making Joker seem deeper than he really comes across in the course of the movie. make him the philosopher-killer, Seven-style, kids gonna love that.

*unless he's that cynical and this is only the bulshit he sells to Dent to help him convert to the dark side quicker. but then again, there's too much stress placed on him being crazy and totally spontaneous and treating it all like a game all throughout the movie.

but i can turn a blind eye to a lot of the far stretches here, what with it being the Joker, the most badass psychotic and unpredictable villain ever.
BUT him suddenly showing up dressed as a policeman AMIDST other policemen on a funeral parade with the whole of Gotham's police force present because they all KNOW he's going to be there to try and assassinate the mayor, let alone they all know they're looking for this guy with scars on his face yet miraculoulsy fail to notice him standing by their side and apparently marching along with them for quite some time too...
well, if he was able to pull that off thanks to his unbelievable cunning i'd like it to be at least partly shown and explained. otherwise, it's too much bulshit to swallow all at once.

this all doesn't mean Joker wasn't a fantastic, imaginative villain, because he was. but as a well thought out character he could have used some more work from the writers and the director.

that's all from me for now.

p.s. Spoiler:
oh, and the 5-minute Scarecrow reappearance in the beginning was plain stupid. you're not gonna make up for the wasted opportunity that Scarecrow was in the first movie this way, mr. Nolan director sir. you're only depriving him of whatever scarce significance he had and flattening him even more. what a waste of Cillian Murphy's time.

Blaster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Sal: Excellent points, all of them. I agree with them. I can't believe how much incredulity I've faced when I tell people that this movie was not the greatest thing ever created, and you've helped to enumerate more if its flaws.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Sal. Spoiler:
Hang on, wasn't the Scarecrow in the beginning just a copycat Scarecrow like the other imitators.

Also, I agree. Damned enjoyable movie though.

Master Chainsaw wrote:
Aurelyn becomes enraged by imbecilic displays of illiteracy, as is his wont.

Simon_Says wrote:
Sal would know. He stole many jobs from guys named Shaun.
Sal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Aure: Spoiler:
damn, if he was i take all this back, but i could swear it was the authentic Cillian Murphy. needs checking.

edit: yep, imdb agrees with me. so my point stands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: