Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Euro 2008!!!
    page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aramor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear to Christ that if Holland wins I'm gonna dance a jig.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Sal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yesterday i wrote:
- Portugal v Germany - a tough one, normally i would say Germans will smash, but i will risk a claim that this time around Portugal at last seems to be able to live up to all the hype they always cause. Germans were stripped naked by the Croatians, who pinpointed all their weaknesses mercilessly. they are by all means beatable.
that said, Germans are famous for being a football machine that never ever gives up and no one will be surpised if they even end up with the trophy in the end.

there goes my first prediction. as an excuse i can swear Germany haven't played that well yet in this tournament. but in this game, they did smash.
Portugal was given a hard lesson of kickass macho football from the Germans. tonight they really were the machine i spoke of, a perfectly organized football army. there wasn't much tactical brilliance involved - they just ran faster, jumped higher and shot harder, and mercilessly took advantage of the opponent's mistakes. the Portuguese were totally lost, especially the alleged world's best player, C. Ronaldo, helpless like a baby. the score doesn't quite give it, but there was real Blitzkrieg on the pitch.
whoever comes in for the Germans next can start shaking their pants already.
Munan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_Says wrote:
Still, the fact remains that historically (haha) Turkey, and the countries tha preceded it, have never really been recognized as a part of Europe until very recently, and still now there is alot of argument about it.

Hmm, the area known as Turkey nowadays (or at least large parts of it)has been part of Europe for as long as the concept of Europe has existed. The Ottoman Empire was regarded as a European superpower, as much as an Asian Minor one.

Anyways, Sal is right. This is a sports topic.

I fucking cannot believe how easily the Swedes gave that one away. It was pathetic, even if the Russians are playing beautiful football,

Hate to say it, but Germany-Portugal was also sweet to watch. The Portugese played their boring and pathetic football as usual (still, I admit, it can be effective), but the Germans were eye candy to watch. Damn, I hate to say it, but it's the truth.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any game where Ronaldo is made to look shit is a good one in my book. God, I hate him. And his mullet.

Master Chainsaw wrote:
Aurelyn becomes enraged by imbecilic displays of illiteracy, as is his wont.

Simon_Says wrote:
Sal would know. He stole many jobs from guys named Shaun.
Munan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelyn wrote:
Any game where Ronaldo is made to look shit is a good one in my book.

Yes. As much as I would have liked a revenge on the free wrestling game Oranje played against the Portugese two years ago, I'm sort of relieved that won't happen because to have to look at Ronandinho's whining face for another entire match is just too much. Not to mention that freakshow of a coach.

Talking about horrible coaches - I'm suspecting the Rumanian one spanks his players if they've performed badly.

Arm Romeo wrote:

I'm travelling through the Middle East in July. I'll do that in an orange t-shirt if they win this tournament, wa'Allahi!
Aramor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll even throw my new cowboy hat in the air.

And yes, I'm actually wearing a cowboy hat these days...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Sal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 days ago i wrote:
- Croatia v Turkey - this has a chance of being the unexpected best quarter-final game, mark my words. both teams are made of determination and unpredictability. one thing's for sure, blood will boil during the game. i think Croatians should make it through, but don't you dare underestimate the Turks who proved the size of their cojones more than once already.

and there goes another.
it wasn't the best game. in fact, it was rather ugly, with lotsa fighting and little action. but the last minutes of it was worth an Oscar for best scenario:
the second overtime's coming to a close, everybody's waiting for the penalties already, suddenly the Turkish goalie makes a horrible mistake and Croatians score - ecstasy! it's over, Croatians won. just some stoppage time to be played and it's over. and what do the Turks do? they go and score an equaliser in the 120th+2 minute. madness! i imagine how Croatians must have felt - i would've shit myself, i think.
before they start the shootout it's obvious - Croatians are not gonna win this. you could see it in their eyes, they were broken and had alreay lost the game in their heads. the way they shot their penalties was painful to watch, two of them sent it wide, and another one straight where the keeper's hands were. they were a lost team.
and the Turks? they took the penalties feeling like the winners and they did just that. they showed their cojones are indeed of GIGANTIC proportions.

it wasn't a beautiful game, but it certainly was an unforgettable one.
can Turkey beat the Germans now? well, why the hell not!
Munan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was even more of a thriller to watch then Turkey/Switzerland.

The Turks here were out in the streets celebrating all night. I hope Holland will not have to play Turkey in the finale, because then it will be a small civil war here...

Holland/Germany is not very pretty either, though. If Oranje would loose that one, it will be a new national trauma and it took us so many years to get over '74 (we were the best team!!!).

On the other hand, if we win... why, then we will become the new European superpower after that, dividing the continent between ourselves and the Turks...
Munan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holland/Russia...

Disappointed, once more
Disillusioned, encore

Disenchanted, once more
Disillusioned, encore
Satan Crime Wash

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arm Romeo wrote:

Bonus points for working in a Last Boy Scout paraphrase, there.

Russia - Germany final. Russians play better, but the Germans German their way to victory.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, after Spain finally beating Italy after a million years of European matches, I'd almost fancy them to take the whole thing. Although they'll have to play a helluva lot better than that to beat Germany.

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Simon_Says wrote:
Munan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sort of rooting for Turkey now, even though they play a weird kind of anti-football and I'm not always charmed by their attitude.

Italy-Spain was quite boring to watch.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was terrible, but at least Italy didn't win.

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Simon_Says wrote:
Aramor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Chainsaw wrote:
Bonus points for working in a Last Boy Scout paraphrase, there.

What do you expect from a die hard Bruce Willis fan Wink

Anyway, too bad our boys are out of the league... now I hope Russia wins, so at least we're beaten by the new champion.

Oh, and I think there's gonna be a war in Germany wednesday.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Sal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was clearly being stupid when i wrote:

- Holland v Russia - well, i already said that the Dutch are the main title contenders, and i stick by it. however, the Russians will be riding the momentum after today's impressive victory. and they have the best coach around and the one of its kind Slavic fantasy on their side. a moment's distraction can cost the Oranje their title hopes. they're the best but that doesn't mean they won't have to pay for every win with blood sweat and tears.

- Spain v Italy - the only game i'm pretty confident about. despite having Europe's strongest league and more brilliant players they can count, Spain is the notorious big time loser (never won anything since '64!). Italy, on the other hand, is a classic tournament team, they usually start out poorly, but gain speed and confidence with every consecutive game. once they managed to scrape through the "group of death", they can as well win the whole thing now. Spain will remain the grand underachiever at least for one more tournament.

what can i say, i hit 0 of 4 in my q-finals predictions.
if there's one thing this Euro proves it's that you cannot make logical predictions because anyone can beat anyone anyday ('cept for Poland who are very consistent at being worse than everyone else).

so yeah, Holland, my prematurely crowned champions, they were pathetic. the Russians kicked their ass with ease and smile on their faces.
it was as if some mad genius (Hiddink?) kidnapped all the Oranje team and replaced them with some poor, half-baked, wannabe-footballers, possibly even of Polish origin. where have all the flowers gone, you Dutch you, huh? where?
and Hiddink? and Hiddink is a genius, is all.

as for Italy, i may be a fan, but last night they fuckin deserved to go home, and i would have booed them away myself had i been on the stadium. everyone always hates on Italians for how they only defend their own goal, and usually it's an unfairly exaggerated claim. but this time, it was totally true, the play they put on was tasteless, insulting to a fan like me, and cynical to the core. who the hell walks out to the pitch in a quarter-final thinking of keeping the score 0-0 and doing the penalties? you're bloody world champions, you assholes! you could at least pretend that you're trying to score something.
funniest thing is that Spain didn't play a great ball, they performed on their regular level, even a bit below it, i'd say. if the stupid Italians put some effort into it, they could've won it like a normal team, because they have the potential. but uder that moron of a coach they made more than one step backwards, compared to how they played 2 years ago in Germany. thank god he's fired already.

so now it's Germany v Turkey and Russia v Spain. i'm obviously not one to trust with my predictions, but i say:
- Germany struggle a lot but eventually win against Turkey (have you heard that Turkey has only 14 players available for the semis, the rest being injured or suspended?)
- Russia beats the crap out of the shocked Spain,
and then, why not, Russia wins the final, becasue they got nothing to lose (remember that the pressure will be all upon Germany, and this can be a major factor).
Sal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munan wrote:
Holland/Germany is not very pretty either, though. If Oranje would loose that one, it will be a new national trauma and it took us so many years to get over '74 (we were the best team!!!).

we were the best team in '74 and we are still neck deep in the trauma of the undeserved semi-final loss against Germany!
Munan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting more and more excited about tonight's match. Some Turkish friends have invited me to watch the game with them, but I will wait until the break to see how it goes. I don't want to be around Turks when their team is being humiliated by the Germans.

However, I've also seen how effective the brute, take-no-prisoners tactics of the Turkish team can be. Yes, there's only 14 players left, but somehow this team could even get there if all the players were gone and only the keeper were left (which is not that unlikely a scheme if you've seen all their games so far).

On the other hand, the Germans have been playing a lovely kind of football so far, so purely quality-wise, they should win.
Satan Crime Wash

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munan wrote:
However, I've also seen how effective the brute, take-no-prisoners tactics of the Turkish team can be.

I fail to see how that will work against a team as physically strong as Germany. And if they don't behave themselves, and do reach the final, they'll be fielding a team that includes the physio and the coach driver.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no need for involving the coach driver, Germany took this one, although not without trouble (i finally managed to make an accurate prediction).
a good, solid game, featuring quality playing and tough fighting alike. it was refreshing not to see an overtime for once. Germany played a decent ball but nowhere near what they showed against Portugal (i had a suspicion that it was a one-time flash of genius).
i salute the Turkey team. they didn't give up till the end again. although the opponent was really too much for them, the game was far from one-sided. the Turks are certainly the heroes of this tournament, and winners in their own right. memory of the things they did, and the miracles they were responsible for, will live on.

half of my dream final matchup is settled. go Russia!
Munan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, now that was a game. It was amazing, even though I was at a department dinner and had to watch it in between courses of the menu, it was one of the games I enjoyed the most. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality the Turks managed to bring into this game - although the keeper was weak.

But the German team took advantage of the fact that Turkey had no midfield to speak of. If they would have had one, I think they would not have been strong enough to win this one.

Second goal for Germany: what.the.fuck.was.the.keeper.doing.there?!

I thought Turkey deserved to win, but they have nothing to be ashamed of.
Aramor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was downtown, sitting outside a bar watching and shouting and hurray-ing everytime Germany did something ok.

Kinda dangerous since the entire market place was filled with Turks watching the same game...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Sal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too bad that after one awesome semi-final we got another which was boooooooring. ugly and boring.

why is it that every time a team plays a fantastic game and we all think "yes, they are amazing, they are going to keep winning from now on", the said team goes on and does all they can to prove you wrong?
could someone please explain to me what the hell happened to Russians? they played like shit tonight. i genuinely believed them capable of not only beating Spain, but also stopping the German machine in its tracks. now i feel embarassed.
once again i daresay - Spain didn't show anything special and were perfectly beatable. i still cannot see the genius factor in the Spanish performances, hard as i try. they are luckier than they deserve to be.
the Germans will FLATTEN them Spanish sissies.
Munan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, as much as I agree with you that on the whole, this is not a game we will remember for a long time to come, the first and third goal were very, very sweet I thought. Especially in the first one there was a nonchalance I quite liked, actually.

In any case, the Spanish played better than the Germans did against Turkey (I don't think there really is a 'German machine' this time around), so I think it could still be a tough finale.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Munan on this one - I thought Spain played some really nice football. Fabregas was fantastic in particular, legend that he is. As for the poor Russians, quite apart from their long-established tendency to fall apart if they get behind, I think the game against the Netherlands was their final. They looked absolutely fucked on the pitch, nothing left in the tank at all. Spain to beat Germany!

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Simon_Says wrote:
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Spain wins! Beautiful game! Don't think any more needs to be said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: