Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Euro 2008!!!
    page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Euro 2008!!! Reply with quote

i hereby begin a topic for debating all things Euro 2008.

i'll start: Poland plays Germany in 15 minutes!
we have never won with the Germans, at football or any other field.
will there finally be a proper revenge for 1939?
Sal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first half's over, 1-0 for Germans, and it's just freaking embarrasing.
bloody amateurs.

edit: game over. 2-0. i got nothing. both goals scored by a Polish-born German striker, and the dumb commentators back here are pissing over themselves ranting on how his "heart must be broken tonight". pathetic. and sadly typical.

in other news, i was much impressed by the determination and ambition of the Austrians, it was real bad luck they lost to Croatians who didn't show anything special. i think the Austrians should get their own back against us on Thursday, though (they certainly deserve the win much more than us).
Sal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, another huge disappointment for me in 2 days as my adopted favourite team, which is Italy, got severe beating from the Netherlands in their debut game.
the Italians played like assholes really. i've been watching the parody of a striker called Del Piero struggle to score in a match that matters literally since 1998, and it never gets old. The Dutch, on the other hand, played a tremendous game, and have definitely made the best impression out of all teams so far. finally, a team who can play some actual football.

in the other game i totally expected France not to win against Romania and i wasn't mistaken. their powers are weak. meanwhile, the Romanians put on a decent performance and i won't be at all surprised if they make it through alongside the Dutch, unless the Italians pull their shit together, which i sincerely wish they did, because i don't feel like seeing both of my teams go home in disgrace. Poland are quite enough.
Sal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spain brought the house down tonight against the Russians. impressive display indeed, although i don't think the Russians deserved such beating, they weren't bad at all. and i can't help thinking that the ever-popular Spanish curse will get onto them again... especially since they're playing Sweden next and the Swedes made a very convincing effort tonight and to these eyes, are set to become the black horse of the tournament. Greeks played so poorly, however, that they will now go out of their way to prove themselves as the reigning champions, and when their stonewall defence gets back on track, not only Russia but even Spain will be in trouble.
Sal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some interesting stuff happened today. Portugal finally played the way everyone expected them to play, unfortunately for the Czechs, whom i considered one of the strongest teams, but it was made all too clear today that they're not going to be a title contender. especially seeing that they aren't even sure of qualifying further, their last group game being against the Turks, and these guys showed some real cojones tonight. if i were to judge it now, i see Turkey clinching the second spot instead of the Czechs. sad but true.
in other news, the Swiss are off already. oh well.

Poland v Austria tomorrow!
Sal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh boy oh boy oh boy.

what a strange unfair game this is.
first Austria plays very well, we play like shit. they shoot and shoot and keep shooting but cannot score. and then we score an undeserved, accidental goal from an offside position.
then after the break we start playing decently (for the first time in this tournament) and Austria plays poorly. we keep attacking but cannot score. and then the referee grants them an undeserved penalty kick in injury time, in a blatant attempt to save the host team. they score and it ends with a draw which is not a real draw but a loss for both teams.
my my, what a ridiculous absurd game this is.

however, it does not matter that much for the group situation due to the Croatians and their sensational (not really) win over Germany. this way both Croatia and Germany are set to go through and we go back to our place in line.

[all the drama aside, the refereeing this year is a disgrace. every day, literally every day, there is an offside goal accepted, or instead a good goal denied because of an imaginary offside, or yellow cards flying indiscriminately, or instead a blind eye turned to obvious foul play. i'm disgusted by the level of referee performance that UEFA tolerates.]
Sal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it may be too early to say, especially football being such an absurd unfair game it is, but i think we have a European Champ already. The Netherlands whooped France's ass tonight, just as easily as they whooped Italy's last week. they were on fire! if they keep it up, and i don't see why they shouldn't, they'll be unstoppable right till the end.
Aramor, Munan, i envy you.
wow. just wow.
Gilmour

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Britain's not in it I fail to see an interest in the sport that doesn't seem to cover a patriotic deal, sadly.

Tbh, it was a bit naff with the BBC ads constantly cutting between obviously unrehearsed opinions of generally strongly accented British people evoking a love for a country that comes just at the last minute because there isn't much else to support apart from that Portuguese team because, at least for the moment some bloke from Manchester's in it.

Yet all these problems have been covered before.
Aramor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal wrote:
Aramor, Munan, i envy you.

Yeah, I'd also envy you if your town was filled with drunk people making lots of noise, setting of fireworks, honking carhorns and more stuff like that...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Sal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you saying you're not one of the drunk people?

well, nothing too interesting yesterday.
Spain's not fallen to the curse yet.
i seem to have overappreciated Greek powers - they're weak and they're out.
Russians bounced back and are quite likely to beat Swedes in the last game, as the latter put on a mediocre performance.
sal out.
Aramor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't drunk to celebrate our glorious victory.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Sal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkey beat Czech Republic to clinch the play-off berth, as i expected.
i did not, however expect Czechs to lead 2-0 and lose 3 goals in the last quarter - they proved that they didn't deserve to advance.
i'm much impressed by the Turks, they will probably mess things up for some other teams too.

another interesting thing is that yesterday i bought me a plush football which is soft and squishy and fun to play with while watching games.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first half of this page looks like a red-light district.

How appropriate.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not my fault no one gives a fuck for the proper football, and i keep talking to myself.
Aramor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I was the first to post something back.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Sal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so Poland's out. big deal, i knew we were out after the first half of the first game. in our last game we lost to a team of Croatian substitutes, so no one can say we didn't crash out with style.
Croatians and Germans are predictably through, although in the less predictable order.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see Aramor is still the same old attention whore.

Aramor, getting a reply from you is about as significant as a fruit fly's place in the grand scheme of things. It's just about a given you'll reply to a topic, any topic. Hell, you'd reply to a topic about rain splatter patterns.

Razz

And now that I'm done being a mean douche I have to say the Poland-Croatia game completely met expectations. Not even a glimmer of effort it looked like on the part of the Poles, but whatever now. Of the many things of having Polish blood in my veins I can be proud of, football is definately not one of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit late with this, but yes: the two games we played against Italy and France were amazing.

Apart from the well-oiled football-machine the orange team has become, I particularly enjoyed the thriller game between Turkey and Switzerland. That was fucking exciting and had all the drama, vendetta, pain, sorrow and comeback one could wish from the great game. Then to win in the last minute --- 2-1 for Turkey... Wow!
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually kind of confused what the hell Turkey is doing in the Euros.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whew. Italy decided not to break the other half of my heart after all and they advanced past France and Romania tonight. i'm glad, although i wonder just how many excellent goal chances Luca Toni needs before he can finally score. 10? 20 maybe?

France are off and it's no bloody surprise, they looked like the most tired team in the tournament ('cept for Poland, but we were sorta beyond the scale). still, they had a fair share of bad luck tonight, but that's sports for ya.
Romania played a very decent ball, but lacked the determination and the finishing touch needed to actually win a game.
and the Dutch, as i said already, are by far the most impressive team here, and consistent at that - having already secured their top of the group slot they didn't give themselves a day off (luckily for the Italians who needed Romania not to win), thus showing clearly they're here to win and win big.

so it's Italy v Spain in the quarter-finals. i hope the Spanish curse kicks in by that time.
Munan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_Says wrote:
I'm actually kind of confused what the hell Turkey is doing in the Euros.

Why?

They're a great football country and have been for a while!

Or is this about that old saw of Turkey not being European? It partly is, actually, both geographically and geologically.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Politically as well. Turkey tried to invade and take over Europe like a hundred times in the last millennium or so. (note hyperbole) Wait... if trying to topple Europe should disqualify them, that should mean Italy, France, Germany, and Russia should have been kicked out too.

Mah baid.

Maybe that prejudice is just a little thing I picked up from my Polish parents. The only people in the world that hate Turks more than Poles are Greeks. Still, the fact remains that historically (haha) Turkey, and the countries tha preceded it, have never really been recognized as a part of Europe until very recently, and still now there is alot of argument about it.

But true they are a good football team. Let 'em play if it will make the games interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_Says wrote:
The only people in the world that hate Turks more than Poles are Greeks.

i beg your pardon?
duuuuuuude, the Turks will barely make the top five, if even that, of the list of the nations an average Pole is born to hate. way below the Germans and Russians who are our sworn enemies since forever.
last time we had any fling with the Turks was in 17th c. the Germans and the Russians have been after our Polish asses throughout the 18th, 19th and 20th (i won't even bother to mention that the Germans actually first messed our shit in fuckin 13th c.).
i believe your data needs revising.

but anyway, you're off-topicking my strictly sport-oriented topic, stop it at once!
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For great justice!

Simon: What’s this lying around shit?
Master Chainsaw: What are we supposed to do, you moron?
cfos: Thread’s on topic man. Sal dropped the big one.
Simon: On topic? Did you say 'on topic'? Nothing is on topic until we decide it is! Was it on topic when Yahoo flamed Silicon Valley? Hell no!
Aramor: Yahoo?
Azrael: Forget it, he’s rolling.
Simon: It ain’t on topic now. ‘Cause when the spam gets tough... the tough get spamming! Who’s with me? Let’s post! Yeeaarrgh!...

Simon: What the fuck happened to the ALP I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest thread of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst! “Ooh, we're afraid to go with you, Simon, we might get banned.” Well, just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Blaster, he's a dead man! Munan, dead! Salvatore-
Aramor: Dead! Simon’s right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional denial of service, but that could take years and cost millions of accounts. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
Simon: And we’re just the guys to do it.
Aramor: Let’s do it.
Simon: LET’S DO IT!!!

Last edited by Simon_Says on Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
Sal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what can i say, another amazing post.
although i'm rather baffled by how i found myself on the mod side of the barricade, among the conservative and senile.

back to on-topic, however...

the last team to join the final 8 is Russia. they made it through by totally pawning Sweden, who looked like boys accidentally placed on the pitch with men. Guus Hiddink IS a flamin genius, he can't stop making kickass teams out of mediocre ones and they invariably become black horses of major tournaments (in case you don't remember, 02 - Sth Korea, 06 - Australia, and now 08 - Russia).

so now allow me to look briefly through the quarter final matchups:
- Portugal v Germany - a tough one, normally i would say Germans will smash, but i will risk a claim that this time around Portugal at last seems to be able to live up to all the hype they always cause. Germans were stripped naked by the Croatians, who pinpointed all their weaknesses mercilessly. they are by all means beatable.
that said, Germans are famous for being a football machine that never ever gives up and no one will be surpised if they even end up with the trophy in the end.

- Croatia v Turkey - this has a chance of being the unexpected best quarter-final game, mark my words. both teams are made of determination and unpredictability. one thing's for sure, blood will boil during the game. i think Croatians should make it through, but don't you dare underestimate the Turks who proved the size of their cojones more than once already.

- Holland v Russia - well, i already said that the Dutch are the main title contenders, and i stick by it. however, the Russians will be riding the momentum after today's impressive victory. and they have the best coach around and the one of its kind Slavic fantasy on their side. a moment's distraction can cost the Oranje their title hopes. they're the best but that doesn't mean they won't have to pay for every win with blood sweat and tears.

- Spain v Italy - the only game i'm pretty confident about. despite having Europe's strongest league and more brilliant players they can count, Spain is the notorious big time loser (never won anything since '64!). Italy, on the other hand, is a classic tournament team, they usually start out poorly, but gain speed and confidence with every consecutive game. once they managed to scrape through the "group of death", they can as well win the whole thing now. Spain will remain the grand underachiever at least for one more tournament.

these are my predictions. make sure to get back in four days and check whether i'm a smartass or a moron.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: