Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Anyone ever read the AvP comics?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Aliens, Predators, all that
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drstamen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Anyone ever read the AvP comics? Reply with quote

I just put through the pre-order for my AvP:R disc on Amazon today - it should be here by Tuesday! - and it got me thinking; I know these movies were supposed to be based on comics, but I've never read them (the AVP movies, I mean - not the original franchises). I'm considering stopping by the comic book store down the street and picking one up, but it seems they've done quite a few different AVP graphic novels.

Anyone read them, and can you recommend one in particular? Thanks!
Azrael

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only read one AvP comic, but I did read a few Alien and Predator ones. The AvP comic I read (apparently the original AvP) is the one that featured Machiko and Broken Tusk. It was okay, and it pretty much started the whole 'pred/human alliance' chain that the rest of the franchise followed.

Married to SpideyGirl.
Sal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think everyone here read the original AvP comic.
and if not, THEY SHOULD!
drstamen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azrael wrote:
I only read one AvP comic, but I did read a few Alien and Predator ones. The AvP comic I read (apparently the original AvP) is the one that featured Machiko and Broken Tusk. It was okay, and it pretty much started the whole 'pred/human alliance' chain that the rest of the franchise followed.

So does the rest of the AvP comics franchise continue to do the whole "Predator & Humans working together" thing? 'Cuz, to be honest, getting AWAY from that was one of the things I liked about AvP:R. I kind of prefer the idea of humans as a less important prey, like Wolf treated them, rather than potential allies, like the first AvP movie.

That being said, though, I guess I'll have to check out the first AvP comic. Does it have a subtitle, or is it just called "Aliens vs. Predator"?
Azrael

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, fine; not all of the franchise followed that fad, but the Alien (from what I strongly believe) has always been the ultimate trophy kill for the Predators.

Married to SpideyGirl.
Sal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and Batman.
drstamen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azrael wrote:
Okay, fine; not all of the franchise followed that fad, but the Alien (from what I strongly believe) has always been the ultimate trophy kill for the Predators.

Good - I like the idea of the Aliens as the "ultimate trophy kill". I'm just not wild about the idea of humans as allies. From a Predator perspective, I like to think of the Preds seeing Aliens as, say, bear, while humans are more like rabbits. Prey, but not "big game".

It explains why a Predator would be so interested in going after a Predalien - using the above example, it's like a bear with a chainsaw. Laughing
Azrael

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal wrote:
and Batman.

DAMNIT! How could I have forgotten that?

Married to SpideyGirl.
Envy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drstamen wrote:
I like to think of the Preds seeing Aliens as, say, bear, while humans are more like rabbits. Prey, but not "big game".

Rabbit? I was thinking... dog or something. They can kill bigger animals, while rabbits can't. At least, I've never heard of any rabbit killing anything much bigger than it. o.O
Azrael

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Envy wrote:
They can kill bigger animals, while rabbits can't. At least, I've never heard of any rabbit killing anything much bigger than it. o.O

Oh?

Married to SpideyGirl.
Sal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an obvious reaction, but props to Az nonetheless.
drstamen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Envy wrote:
drstamen wrote:
I like to think of the Preds seeing Aliens as, say, bear, while humans are more like rabbits. Prey, but not "big game".

Rabbit? I was thinking... dog or something. They can kill bigger animals, while rabbits can't. At least, I've never heard of any rabbit killing anything much bigger than it. o.O

Ok, a dog might be a more apt analogy, but the point is, I prefer the idea of us as much less of a threat. I mean, in "Predator", they talk about how the Predator attacks occur every "hot" season - it's something like a regular thing. That sounds more like we're akin to common hunting grounds, whereas in the first AVP, it's obvious that Aliens are used as a serious training tool and rite of passage.

Heck, in AVP:R, the Preds send Wolf to clean up the mess when there's an Alien breakout on Earth. If the Preds honestly thought that humans were the bigger threat - wouldn't they have expected us to be able to deal with the Alien problem ourselves?
DarthDidious

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I read a number of the original AVP comics. Still have them in fact. The first series they came out with was really cool. But I was more interested in comics that were focused on either just the Predators or just the Aliens, so I have more of them.

I guess I do encourage you to check them out though. I mean, it is where this crazy idea originated from in the first place.

Anthony

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read the first one a few months ago but i didnt like what they did with the aliens, they made them look too weak
Alpha Male

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No,but I made some home made AVP comics.(I know I'm geeky & I'm proud of it! Very Happy )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Aliens, Predators, all that All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: