Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Mass Effect
    page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Video games
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you amped for this game?
HOLY CRAP!!!!!! (Yes)
100%
 100%  [ 5 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

Azrael

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Mass Effect Reply with quote

Has anyone else seen this mind-blowing RPG by Bioware? Yeah, Bioware is breathing this game to life. I mean, I've seen and read alot of things for it, but after watching that E3 07 preview I exploded inside.

Married to SpideyGirl.
Sal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mass Effect Reply with quote

Azrael wrote:
I exploded inside.

you're gay for coming in your pants.

sorry, Blaster, i had to do it.
Frost

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I splooged a damn rainbow when I saw said e3 stuff.

These are the guys who made KotOR for Christ's sake!
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck KOTOR. This is from the makers of Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights.

But why is it a 360 only release? Why did Bioware become console whores? Mass Effect would be big on the PC, why isn't the master of PC RPGing doing what it did best?

Damn Bioware for forcing me to consider getting a 360.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess it'll eventually end up on PC. Hopefully for you it won't take as long as Jade Empire.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_Says wrote:

But why is it a 360 only release? Why did Bioware become console whores? Mass Effect would be big on the PC, why isn't the master of PC RPGing doing what it did best?

Yes... Assimilate to us...

Married to SpideyGirl.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Chainsaw wrote:
I'd guess it'll eventually end up on PC. Hopefully for you it won't take as long as Jade Empire.
Same thing can go for Halo 3, actually.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They always end up on the computer... unless the companies don't want to get all the money they can from the game.
Digitaaliklosetti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they get the money from sucking on sum Microsoft teat.
Frost

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_Says wrote:

LOL! Yes, come to the Dark Side! Let the lust for a console flow through you...

Also, screw you. KotOR kicked ungodly ass. Very Happy

PS... damn you Az for being quicker to make a nerdy "join us" response to da panda.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KOTOR was a great game, I give it that. But it had nothing compared to its predecessors. It had a great story, good if somewhat unbalanced gameplay, and HK-47 is da shizzle. However as far as RPG's go, KOTOR was actually very weak. A world almost devoid of content consited mostly by spectrums. The environments were huge and spectacular, but they were empty. There was frankly very little detail, the world was set up as a game field, not a interactive environment. The majority of NPC's were two-dimensional plot or gameplay waiters. Enemies were typically too similar to each other, you could use the same tactics against katarns as you would sith troopers. There was frankly very little history involved. The world's history seemed to spring into being with the rise of Exar Kun. Players could basically roleplay only three kinds of people (good, evil, and random help you/kill you (which is not neutral)), and the classes only differed in brute force/subtle power spectrums.

NWN and BG both had much deeper roleplaying and gameplay. The player had a character that was part of a world, not its raison d'etre. PC/NPC interactions were diverse and you could play and roleplay a diverse field of character types and personalities. Different enemies and situations really required different tactics and use of powers. Not to mention that NWN had the Aurora toolset, which allowed players to create their own adventures, and gives life to the game even now.

Not to mention that KOTOR was by no means as revolutionary as BG or NWN were. Basically, KOTOR was the retard younger brother to two of the genres more intelligent classics.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you forgot to mention that Fallout is a kick-ass RPG!!!

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Satan Crime Wash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Simon, that was one well thought out and presented analysis of the games' comparitive merits. Not saying I necessarily agree with everything you said, but still, bravo. Considered a career in video games journalism? Or indeed development?

Also, I would add that KOTOR greatly exceeded BG/NWN in creating an atmosphere of actually being there in the thick of things, particularly in combat with lightsabres humming, sparks flying and blaster bolts coming at you. The fact that all the dialogue was spoken helped create a sense of immersion, too. The same techniques using current technology, tied to a greater sense of being part of this conflict that's going on (an area in which KOTOR is certainly lacking) could put Mass Effect up there with the greats of the genre. It certainly seems to have the characterisation and living game world in place already.

And yes Aramor, Fallout is one of the greats of the genre, maybe the great.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can't say I've had the opportunity to play NWN or BG, but if they are better than KotOR then I want to.
Aramor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Chainsaw wrote:
And yes Aramor, Fallout is one of the greats of the genre, maybe the great.

Well, I consider it to be the pinnacle of role-playing. And of post-nuclearism. Along with Mad Max.

But then again, Fallout is like totally not slightly based on the Mad Max movies... [/cough]

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally haven't played Fallout or Fallout 2, but I'm already scrounging around for copies. I'll pass Tactics and Brotherhood of Steel, though. Infinity Engine ftw.

However I have played Planescape: Torment, which as far as I know is the best RPG ever made. How many other games have a concept so original as playing an immortal who's actually questing to regain his mortality? The setting of planescape really serves well to illustrate the highly philosophical yet intriguing storyline. And Morte definately ranks up there with HK-47.
Quote:
Nordom: Attention, Morte. I have a question: do you have a destiny... a purpose?
Morte: Is Annah still wearing clothes?
Nordom: Affirmatory.
Morte: Then, the answer is yes.

However I did enjoy Baldur's Gate II more. Don't exactly know why. It's like how I prefer Shine on You crazy Diamond even though I say that Echoes was the better song. Forsoothe, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!

Mr Chainsaw wrote:
Damn Simon, that was one well thought out and presented analysis of the games' comparitive merits. Not saying I necessarily agree with everything you said, but still, bravo. Considered a career in video games journalism? Or indeed development?
I have. If it becomes feasible, maybe. Likely not. Development? No. Modding? Again maybe. I'm not actively planning on any of them.

Mr Chainsaw wrote:
Also, I would add that KOTOR greatly exceeded BG/NWN in creating an atmosphere of actually being there in the thick of things, particularly in combat with lightsabres humming, sparks flying and blaster bolts coming at you. The fact that all the dialogue was spoken helped create a sense of immersion, too. The same techniques using current technology, tied to a greater sense of being part of this conflict that's going on (an area in which KOTOR is certainly lacking) could put Mass Effect up there with the greats of the genre. It certainly seems to have the characterisation and living game world in place already.
Yes, KOTOR was definitely immersive, and I name it as KOTOR's strongest point. It really did feel a part of the Star Wars universe, even it was set four thousand years before the films, and the plot didn't actually mimic the films either (It was neither the archetypical fairy tale type of the original trilogy, or the Greek tragedy of the prequels). Quite the accomplishment of Bioware's part, and it is what I think all sequels, prequels, and ite-ins should be like in any media form: the same world, the same feeling, different overall content so it doesn't feel derivative or boring. Same stone, same style, different layout of the palace, to use an architectural allegory. KOTOR was the best thing to happen to Star Wars in decades.

Still, immersion is a more or less subjective concept. What constitutes immersion? Is it a binary phenomenon (you're either immersed or not) or a more gray-area spectrum (some games are more immersive than others) or a more multidimensional concept (Gordon Freeman vs TES4: Oblivion hero)? Is it necessary to enjoy a game? In Doom 3, I found the PDAs immersive, many others found it immersion breaking. Immersion ultimately relies on the player's willingness to accept the game world and devote some part of their attention and care into it (explaining how I said KOTOR was basically a desert of a game and yet immersive at the same time). Although a plus generally, immersion is too subjective to contribute to a game's objective critical score. I myself found BG and NWN to be just as immersive as KOTOR.

It's kind of like how I reviewed the Doom movie a while back (last summer I think). I did compare it to the game series. I said it sucked in that comparison. Yet I reviewed it as a film in its own right, and it scored not too bad. Any review that didn't include a comparison to the games would be rather incomplete, and yet it should have only a tiny, if any, influence on the final evaluation. Game immersion is very much like that. It should be mentioned, but not taken too seriously.

And yes there can be an objective critical score. I'll post more on that later.

Last edited by Simon_Says on Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planescape: Torment is still for me the best RPG I ever played. Unbelievable plot, superb setting and atmosphere. All the better because I ran a game (back in the days of yore when I still gamed) in the Planescape setting for nearly 4 years. Good times...

Master Chainsaw wrote:
Aurelyn becomes enraged by imbecilic displays of illiteracy, as is his wont.

Simon_Says wrote:
Sal would know. He stole many jobs from guys named Shaun.
Frost

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never even heard of Planescape:Torment...
-- Zapp Brannigan
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty old now - pushing ten years I'd say, at the least.

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Simon_Says wrote:
Digitaaliklosetti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck all of you cruel cockteases. Sad

I haven't been able to play BGII, Icewind Dale or Planescape: Torment ever since I installed Windows XP.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? - I got Torment to run fine under XP. I think (and it's been a while) I ran the EXE in compatibility mode for Win98 and it worked. Either that or I found a patch fix for it - I'll see if I can find out...

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Simon_Says wrote:
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can run all of them on XP without problems. But all the older Infinity Engine games before BG2 in 2000 are stuck at VGA resolution, without any way to upgrade it, which sucks ass.

Thinks get real blocky running VGA on UXGA.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering how long it would be before Planescape got a mention. I too don't have any problems running old games on my current machine, as long as I remember to disable Crossfire. It's when you upgrade to XP that you get problems. The VGA games certainly look a little odd on a 21" widescreen.

Simon_Says wrote:
I personally haven't played Fallout or Fallout 2, but I'm already scrounging around for copies.

It's currently available on budget as a double pack in Europe for a fiver. I'd imagine it's available on the other side of the Atlantic, too. Failing that there's always Ebay/Marketplace/Whatever.

Teh Pandaman also wrote:
Quite the accomplishment of Bioware's part, and it is what I think all sequels, prequels, and ite-ins should be like in any media form: the same world, the same feeling, different overall content so it doesn't feel derivative or boring. Same stone, same style, different layout of the palace, to use an architectural allegory. KOTOR was the best thing to happen to Star Wars in decades.

About two days ago I read a similar assertion in Edge; that licenced games should be made as games first and foremost. Set within the same universe as the film/book/interpretive dance that they're based upon, but with the first concern being a good gaming experience, rather than exactly following the events in the source material. KOTOR is a good example. The reverse holds true as well: How crap was 'The Flood' compared to 'Fall of Reach' et al?

Also the Doom 3 PDA thing was totally ripped off from System Shock 2. Speaking of which, two weeks 'til Bioshock. Woohoo!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All "XBOX Exclusives" eventually make their way to the PC with more content i.e. KoToR and Jade Empire. And KoToR Tactics? Canderous and Carth with exoskeleton armor, Carth with two Baragwin Assault Blades and Canderous with Baragwin Heavy Assault Cannon pwnzor Lazzerzz. I swear i didnt have to do a thing on the Star Forge, i left it up to those two to pwn everything on their own, barely taking any damage.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Chainsaw wrote:
Also the Doom 3 PDA thing was totally ripped off from System Shock 2. Speaking of which, two weeks 'til Bioshock. Woohoo!
True 'dat, but I never played System Shock 2 either. Another game to pick up. Also I got Fallout 1 and 2, will report in... a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Video games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: