Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Who saw Transformers?
    page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bloo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and they didn't explain where he went like they did with Starscream

Possibly he met up with Barricade who didn't show up either.
AAATripper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah he did, Barricade was the Police Car. It even said so when starscream was making them all report in. and Barricade got killed during the big downtown firefight.
Aramor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, wasn't Barricade the M1 Abrams/Overlord tank?

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Smiley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barricade was the Mustang cop car.
The boombox was not Soundwave. It was Frenzy.
Brawl was the tank, but in early releases of the move they accidentally show the name Devastator in the Cybertronian subtitles when Frenzy calls the Decepticons to arms and they show the tank.
Bloo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barricade's death scene was cut out. Soundwave is reported to be in the next movie along with Shockwave but those are only rumours as well as Thundercracker.

He can pull jet packs out of his ass.
Forumgoer Unavailable

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smiley wrote:
The boombox was not Soundwave. It was Frenzy.

Oops, my bad. Shoulda double checked my post foist. I knew it was him, but I've been going into denial about it. I really would have preferred they called him Soundwave, he was one of my faves.
AAATripper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nay, his name was Shriek, look it up in the credits.
Bloo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it was Frenzy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected, but Barricade died. They might not have cut the scene, it was very brief, almost pathetic, all you see is Barricade for a split second and Ratchet pulls a quick headshot on him and he falls down, I'm sure Barricade wont be getting back up.
Bloo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I was confused.

These people should really work on using names. First they mixed Brawl with Devestator, and now this?
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, here we go.

Spoiler:
I came into the theater expecting an entertaining film. Big, dumb, and loud, but entertaining nonetheless.

I was very disappointed.

Transformers was just bad in my opinion. It had plot and logic holes the sizes of which you could drop Megatron through. The CG effects were not good, despite what everyone likes to say. The action was too blurry, too hectic, and too annoying. There was enough cheese to drown Switzerland.

The main source of the problems with Transformers is simple: The robots were secondary characters, designed to provide backdrop and plot to the humans. The exact same mistake AVP made. We come to see a film called Transformers to see a film about Transformers, not about Mr. Dork and his supernaturally hot girlfriend. By the way, I’d totally tap that. But Megatron is in the film for the grand total of about half an hour it seemed.

The Transformers were developed too little and too late. Both the autobots and the decepticons arrive in the latter half of the plot. Their introductions are summed up in two short sequences, with the autobots scrounging around for forms, and the decepticons simply ‘signing in’. The acquiring of forms was really lame for me, they see a car and suddenly *bzzt bzzt bzzt*. On that note, the original transforming sound was not present anywhere in the film in any noticeable way, unlike what the trailer suggested.

The transformers were not really engaging either. They were given relatively useless ‘human’ faces, even Optimus. What the fuck is up with that? I can understand any of the other ‘formers, but Optimus? He was über because of his face shield. And because they were background characters, I felt no emotional attachment. I mean, Jazz dies. Woopty-fucking-do. I felt absolutely nothing for him, I only thought to myself “Hey, Megatron is a four year old kid who rips toys apart, lol.” Optimus’ blind faith in humanity’s potential is also clearly not sensible, as Megatron implied, why place an alien species’ needs above their own? However, if the Transformers were the ones moving the plot, this could have been effectively made into a great plot piece to build around.

Why can human weapons hurt the robots when they could easily survive interstellar travel, atmospheric entry, and even each-others weapons, to a point? The dual-arm cannon blows Optimus Prime back across an intersection and he’s only scratched, yet we’re supposed to believe grenades and missiles can hurt them? Come on! Anything that has the capability to traverse the cosmos better be as unstoppable and powerful as the baddies from War of the Worlds (any version).

The transformation scenes are not particularly impressive, since in most cases we can’t even figure out how it’s all coming apart and reassembling because the entire form is just rolling around, being blown up, or whatever else Michael Bay tried to give us headaches with. Granted the ones where we do have a clear view of the action are absolutely stunning. But the CG is still very crappy, and noticeable. Especially compared to the close-up models, that actually looked real, because it was. Granted the designs (except for the faces and Megatron’s cybertronian jet form) are very interesting.

The action was far too hectic. Explosions and crashes everywhere. It was too fucking obnoxious. Please, can choreographers make some sense of the madness for once? I want to see humanity actually struggling to fight back the invaders, and trying to get out of their way. I did not want to see them go all macho and kick too much ass. Again the movie devolved into a case of too much bang, not enough substance.

The only real pluses for this movie were a) humor (which I did find amusing) and b) the transformer designs. Other than that I found the film to be one huge stinking mess of something that could have gone so far. In a way, too much was trying to be done on too little. I give the film a score of 4/10.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twinkie, the Rap Master C wrote:
Barricade's death scene was cut out. Soundwave is reported to be in the next movie along with Shockwave but those are only rumours as well as Thundercracker.

He can pull jet packs out of his ass.

I'd really like to see Soundwave as an iPod or something like that.

Wait, I just realized something, remember how Megatron was a "Cybertronian Jet", what if they added another Transformer who's like a Cybertronian Capital Ship. That would be awesome to see. One big-ass Transformer, kinda like Unicron.

Married to SpideyGirl.
Smiley

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if they do use Unicron in a future sequel, he will be underutilized and poorly portrayed, much like Galactus in the new Fantastic Four movie.
Azrael

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would suck if they made him a massive cloud.

Married to SpideyGirl.
AAATripper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megatron had been stuck under the north pole for thousands of years. In that timeline, the Decepticons somehow managed to not advance... at all. The whole "everything was reverse engineered from Megatron" thing doesn't help the movie at all. They had reverse engineered everything from him so their weapons pretty much should have mirrored the transformers weapons... if megatron hadn't been on earrth for about ten thousand years. Ten thousand years, not one upgrade in weaponry or shielding or any of that shit. All the transformers get above humans is really fast wireless internet. Wonderful.
Bloo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unicron would be shit in a live-action film. So would the Dinobots. But Devestator and Galvatron would kick ass.
AAATripper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading VG Cats' take on transformers, I'd have to say i agreed completely. Who actually cared that Jazz died except for when it was kinda cool to watch Megatron rip him in two?
Smiley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lonely_Guy wrote:
After reading VG Cats' take on transformers, I'd have to say i agreed completely. Who actually cared that Jazz died except for when it was kinda cool to watch Megatron rip him in two?

Considering how little they developed him as a character he was really no big loss.
Bloo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His death was kind of sudden, too. It wasn't like a "I'm going to die... I'm dying..." sort of thing, it just... sort of happened.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lonely_Guy wrote:
Megatron had been stuck under the north pole for thousands of years.
South Pole, actually.

Lonely_Guy wrote:
In that timeline, the Decepticons somehow managed to not advance... at all.
if megatron hadn't been on earrth for about ten thousand years. Ten thousand years, not one upgrade in weaponry or shielding or any of that shit. All the transformers get above humans is really fast wireless internet. Wonderful.
If you take it that the Transformers did not have faster-than-light travel, you could attribute the lag in technological advancement to them having been coasting the galactic dreamscape for thousands of years doing jack shit. Without FTL, any kind of advancement of civilization between worlds pretty much slows to a crawl. Larry Niven explored this topic pretty nicely in his Draco Tavern stories. Not only that, but if they were traveling at relativistic velocities, those thousands of years would shrink dramatically. Thousands of years in the ice could translate to mere decades in an interstellar voyage.

Another theory is that they did advance during that time, and Megatron simply upgraded spontaneously. Considering that the bots can swap forms pretty much instantaneously (which is a huge stretch of verisimilitude*), why couldn't Megatron just download the new data and be on par with the rest of his team?

Yet another possible solution would be that technological advancement in their stage of development is so difficult due to its complexity that innovation slows down to a crawl. Despite what Kurzweil, Vinge, and co. might say, perhaps at some stage the knowledge and engineering barriers become increasingly steeper and steeper until they are virtually impregnable for them. Factor in that the population of the autobots and decepticons were severely decimated during their war and you realize that there may simply be not enough brain power available for technological advancement to proceed.

Of course such rationales are pretty much worth dirt considering it's a Michael Bay film.

Lonely_Guy wrote:
The whole "everything was reverse engineered from Megatron" thing doesn't help the movie at all. They had reverse engineered everything from him so their weapons pretty much should have mirrored the transformers weapons...
I also thought that was a very badly thrown in comment, for the exact same reason. Not only that, but how is it possible to reverse engineer anything without having prior knowledge of what it is supposed to do and what physical laws and theories underly its mechanics? Could you give Leonardo da Vinci a modern CPU and expect him to figure out how it works? Megatron was an alien machine, built on technology centuries if not millenia in advance of information age earth, with powers and mechanics that weren't even imagined by humans before. How could he been reverse engineered?

I also found it insulting that the film makers imply that humanity's progress in not the result of our own discoveries and work. Why can't it be? How can't it be? Is complete technical ineptitude a prerequisite for working in any field other than special effects in Hollywood? Die Hard 4 damaged my brain with its completely inaccurate portrayal of computers and hackers. Ocean’s Thirteen seriously expected me to suspend disbelief when the guys bring a multi-million dollar shovel the size a house into Las Vegas and didn’t get noticed? Technology and science are not arcane, esoteric subjects forbidden to the normal human being. Highschool science is sufficient for God’s sake!

Why don’t makers give a damn? “Because it wouldn’t be exciting?” Bullshit. Anyone with competence and conviction can create a masterpiece out of supposedly dirt material. Ever heard of Star Wars? Yeah, people thought it’d end up as a b-rate kid’s movie before it was released. 2001: A Space Oddesey was a fucking classic, and as accurate as any sci-fi film has ever been.

Film makers: grow up and read a book.

I just found a draft of this in my documents, so I decided to finish it up and post. Lol Im cleric.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clerics are bestowed with huge wisdom modifiers at higher levels oh great healing one.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got buff?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, Owls Wisdom is a little lame, you dont even need that to be able to Turn-Undead a Lich to death.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: