Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Where the hell...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aramor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Where the hell... Reply with quote

...do they buy their computers in movies.

I just watched DareDevil, and the guy played by Joe Pantoliano (CYPHER!!! Weeeeeee) had written an article about who really is DareDevil, and then he held his finger over these two buttons, the print button and the delete button. He then pressed the delete button and the entire text was erased as though someone just kept pressing the backspace key.
I mean, what keyboard has the print and the delete button next to each other... especially if pressing the delete button clears your whole text... "I'm sorry I don't have my essay with me, I wanted to print it but then I pressed the delete button and all was lost..."

Also in CSI, I love the series... practically everything about it (Go Warrick!!!) but they have computers which can zoom into a picture and then still get a clear view of something, when it's zoomed in like 10 times... I mean, I want that program!!!

And then there's the thing when someone's hard-drive is being erased. You see the file that's being erased in the background and then a status-bar. And after that you get a message saying "All files deleted". I mean, what operating system is that?

Is it just me or are computers in movies really unpractical/extremely useful/just plain weird...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Digitaaliklosetti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err... copyrights? I dunno.

Of course, there's the whole "dumbing down" that's evident in most movies and TV-shows nowadays. That marginal amount of morons who just "don' know 'bout dem computer thingamabobs" has to be taken by the hand and then, slowly and surely, explained the painfully complicated computerizagimentical process at hand.

Nanny - "See, Bobby? The silly lady pressed the 'delete' button, so the text is now 'deleted'. Deee-leee-teeed. See? The text is going away. That means it's being 'deleted'. Can you say 'deleted', too, Bobby?"

Bobby - "Deelted."

Nanny - "Good job, Bobby!"

I myself have been dumbed down temporarily by the Gaia chatterbox, so that longer quip may or may not make any sense. I might've misused "evident". Bear with me.
Ranka

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal fav: the red elephant-sized "ACCESS DENIED!!!" blinking on a blank screen after guessing some password wrong etc.
Blaster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, Ranka.

And what is even worse is the way in which video games have traditionally been protrayed in movies and tv.
First of all, the players tend to just spam every button randomly like they are having some kinda fit.
Secondly, the games all tend to sound like they are for the Atari 2600. I mean, shit, sound has come SO far since then in games.
Holly Resurrected

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite is from the movie "Hackers". I mean, Hackers is great sci-fantasy, it has music from Orbit, the almighty Fisher Stevens, Laurence Mason who played Tin Tin in "The Crow", and Penn Jillette. But the way it portrays the very early internet is totally off. Yep, haxxors are totally leet in this movie, and skate around their kewl offices, because they're too kewl to walk, and the intarweb is made up of kewl graphics, not code or anything, and also the screens reflect onto people's faces, just like projectors! And when you hack into a seckret gov'ment site, you can erase the identity of a super gov'ment official, lickety-split! And everything is computer-controlled, including the fire sprinklers at your high-school.

It's lots of fun, but watching it now that I've actually, y'know, been on the internet, it's very silly.

Still internet married to Tripper.
desert_drum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone remember War Games? A fine example of really early computer silliness, though they at least looked right for the most part.

Shall...we...play...a...game?
Blaster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. who could forget War Games?
Yes, that and Hackers proved to be a wee bit anachronistic.
Aramor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

War games? That's with Joshua right? The computer thingy... cool movie.

And yeah, Hackers, really funny. Especially all the virusses (whatever).

But hey, when the internet was first heard of people always said you could do anything with it. Even walk through the White House using webcams... silly us.[/i]

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: