Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Any fellow capoeiristas here?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crotchfire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Any fellow capoeiristas here? Reply with quote

There's gotta be more than just me... I hope Smile

My capoeira name is Vaqueiro (that's Cowboy, for anyone who doesn't know portuguese).
desert_drum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm not Smile

I did some reading, though, and I'm intrigued. Is there video around to check out?
Crotchfire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mazedude.com/capoindex.htm

The first video is a public demonstration of what some capoeira looks like, but it's not a real game.

The second is a montage of capoeira by one guy, some of it in a roda, some of it not. The first half is capoeira regional, while the second half is mostly capoeira angola.

I don't know of too many sites that have good videos of an actual roda, but I'm sure they're out there.

I know of this one site because I'm a gamer, and I'm a big fan of OCremix Smile

By the way, once you get good at it, capoeira really IS as fun as it looks Very Happy
desert_drum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crotchfire wrote:
By the way, once you get good at it, capoeira really IS as fun as it looks Very Happy

It does look fun. Me, I'd just dislocate parts that haven't even been named yet Laughing

The first thing that crossed my mind, being a written-word person, is that it's a visual expression of the same spirit there was in poetry slams before they got so commercialized - a competition, but more to push yourself to the best performance you can give than to just hand someone else a beating.
Crotchfire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sort of the spirit to it; a lot of it is pure exultation. It's fun. You don't "fight capoeira", you "play capoeira". It is different from most other martial arts in that way, I think.

It's something I'm pretty passionate about. Very Happy

If you're interested in reading about it, look for a book called "Capoeira: Roots of the Dance Fight Game" or "The Little Capoeira Book", both by Nestor Capoeira.

...and if you're really interested, give it a try! It's a little intimidating at first, seeing those crazy guys doing all sorts of acrobatics, but it starts off at a very basic level, and no instructor will make you do something you're not ready to do. I know that when I started, I had never done a cartwheel in my life. I'm still not awesome yet, but I can do some neat things I was never able to do before. Smile

By the way, you write poetry? I write a little myself, though I don't write often. Most of what I write is goofy and silly. Razz
desert_drum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crotchfire wrote:

If you're interested in reading about it, look for a book called "Capoeira: Roots of the Dance Fight Game" or "The Little Capoeira Book", both by Nestor Capoeira.

Thanks - I'm far more a reader than a doer Smile

Crotchfire wrote:

...and if you're really interested, give it a try! It's a little intimidating at first, seeing those crazy guys doing all sorts of acrobatics, but it starts off at a very basic level, and no instructor will make you do something you're not ready to do. I know that when I started, I had never done a cartwheel in my life. I'm still not awesome yet, but I can do some neat things I was never able to do before. Smile

I was only about half kidding with the dislocating things comment. I'm a lifelong klutz. My finest hour: Walking across a bare, level, smooth, clean floor, I tripped over NOTHING and sprained my ankle. I am not athletic in any appreciable way Smile

Crotchfire wrote:

By the way, you write poetry? I write a little myself, though I don't write often. Most of what I write is goofy and silly. Razz

Yeah, I even got a degree in it *laugh* It's been a long dry spell for me recently, but it's showing signs of ending at last.

I threw one of my favorites from my thesis up here. Yeah, I know, poetry on the internet *shudder* - but I promise anyone who takes a peek at it something a bit different from most of what you see out there Wink
JytaNona

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome. I had read about Capoeira a few years ago and I've always found it fascinating. It's so high energy.

The videos from that site are really cool. Thanks for the link. I love watching capoeira angola for some reason, though both styles are excellent.

Something I love about the art is the musical accompaniment. Though I have a grudge against Mazda nowadays, I still think the RX8 is pretty. Laughing

*Cheers

Every soul has a price. I bet I can afford yours.
Crotchfire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JytaNona:

Ha! Few people know that "Zum zum zum" is a song sung in the roda. You get +1 for knowing that.

Other insights are that the most famous capoeira song isn't "Banana-way"; it's "Parana-eh". Smile

Try out a class some time, America needs more players!

and Desert Drum:

Even if you aren't naturally athletic, I'd still recommend it. The body can do amazing things once it learns the patterns.

It's also an incredibly intense workout, while being fun at the same time.

Of course, I'd try to convince anyone with two legs and two arms to give it a shot.

If you want to see what beginning players are like, go to a Batizado (means baptism. sort of an initiation/moving up ceremony). Trust me, it's not hard to start learning...though the conditioning is a BEAST Shocked
desert_drum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crotchfire wrote:

Even if you aren't naturally athletic, I'd still recommend it. The body can do amazing things once it learns the patterns.

So can the mind. That's why my favorite exercise is lifting books Wink
JytaNona

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desert_drum wrote:

So can the mind. That's why my favorite exercise is lifting books Wink

Yea... especially those HUGEASS chemistry textbooks I keep getting assigned.

Either way, I get a work out just watching a Capoeira demo.

Crotchfire wrote:
Other insights are that the most famous capoeira song isn't "Banana-way"; it's "Parana-eh". Smile

Good to know... I thought that sounded silly. Smile

Crotchfire wrote:
Try out a class some time, America needs more players!

I most definitely would, but the closest place is in Miami. I'm in BFE. I actually hired them to do a demo for us at my Campus during an international festival event. They were amazing. Cool

*Cheers

Every soul has a price. I bet I can afford yours.
Blaster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the moves, but I hate the music. I don't think it would work out for me.
ash_wednesday

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a school for Capoeria in my city. I'm thinking of checking it out. I want to study it when i get the chance just to learn how to dance. Since I can kick high and good and kicking in general i shouldn't have too many problems..

"Bite my 50% miss chance."

--Order of the Stick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Crotchfire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great, cause if you do capoeira, you'll be doing a LOT of kicking! Hope you start playing, we need more capoeiristas in the States.
ash_wednesday

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crotchfire wrote:
That's great, cause if you do capoeira, you'll be doing a LOT of kicking! Hope you start playing, we need more capoeiristas in the States.
sorry but i'm in canada

--Order of the Stick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Crotchfire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, substitute "North America" for "the States". It's all good.
ash_wednesday

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to bust some capoerira moves on ther dance floor. In a dance bar..that would be cool.

--Order of the Stick
Dahaka

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capoeira
Def. : (1) something that became popular after Tekken
(2) something noone can pronounce correctly
Crotchfire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got interested after seeing "Only The Strong" with Marc Dacascos. Looking back on that movie today, his ginga is pretty clumsy, but it's still a classic bad movie.

And to get the pronunciation right, it's Kah-pway-ra (the pway is like a fast poo-eh, and you roll the r on ra).
ash_wednesday

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crotchfire wrote:
I got interested after seeing "Only The Strong" with Marc Dacascos. Looking back on that movie today, his ginga is pretty clumsy, but it's still a classic bad movie.

And to get the pronunciation right, it's Kah-pway-ra (the pway is like a fast poo-eh, and you roll the r on ra).
Well since I'm a martial art nut, I can pronunce it right and I knew about before I ever played Tekken.

--Order of the Stick
Dahaka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you fear the nutcracker?
ash_wednesday

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not anymore

--Order of the Stick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: