Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Your favourite video game weapons
    page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Video games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thegrimmling

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best weapons I have ever used in a video game I made myself. They were mods for DooM2 and here is what they were....

• Desert Eagle Special - Stopping power of a double barrel shotgun focused into one hit point.
  • Zero Point Shift Generator - This badass had a few variences. The firt one was a replacement for the BFG that would create a teleport spot that was stationary and not visable. The second version was a personal teleporter. The third version placed a clone of you from where you were that mimiced your movements. All of them could either be set to the nearest teleporter of push you forward 30 meters (in-game) to get past walls or to set traps.

Both these weapons I made worked on the Legacy DooM engine and were mainly created as multi-player weapons to make things more interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never understood why video games (and many in the general public) use the Desert Eagle .50 as a "powerful weapon". Sure, a .50 caliber bullet is slightly larger than a .44 magnum, but a .44 magnum is a hotter load (all magnum loads are hot -- anyone that has a .357 gun can shoot both .38 and the .357 and can tell the difference) and packs a stronger punch. If you are just interested in the "size" of the bullet, you can even use a .44 special -- the Blazer .44 special has a semi-jacketed hollow-point that is so large, you could mix a martini in it. When that puppy expands upon impact, I'd wager you would have a larger chunk of lead than the .50. Of course, many .44 specials are in snub nosed revolvers so you would have to compensate for poor accuracy over distance, but video games have never compensated for your arms getting tired while holding guns, so why start there?

IM(h)O-- if the video games were looking to be more "realistic", they would have .44 magnums or .10mm (a real hand cannon) instead of .50 calibers.

One more thing that bothers me: Turning the gun sideways -- gangsta (or Wii) style -- Dude, the shells come out hot and (aiming aside) why would you want an ejected shell obscuring your field of view?

Make that 2: Using two guns. Fun, but never accurate.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the Desert Eagle looks big and nasty, and it does have plenty of stopping power, although yes yon Magnums are more powerful.

Half Life 2 had a step in the right direction by making the most powerful pistol (or gun in general) a .357 Mag.

Still, Desert Eagles as stated are huge + shiny. Of course they'll draw a crowd who'd think the thing is badass. It's a sad state of affairs but generally the cooler looking the gun the better it is, as far as video games go.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly prefer a .357 Colt Python over a Deasert Eagle. It has that "pop" to it that I love.

Married to SpideyGirl.
Aramor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was shine about the Deagles the Agents used?

Anyhoo... if I ever own a pistol, I want a Beretta.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
cfos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Because the Desert Eagle looks big and nasty, and it does have plenty of stopping power, although yes yon Magnums are more powerful. "

"Still, Desert Eagles as stated are huge + shiny. Of course they'll draw a crowd who'd think the thing is badass."

Both of the above are true.. but, you can get a Desert Eagle chambered for .50, .44 magnum or for .357 magnum. Actually, you can buy everything as a set for around $2k American. You just have to swap out the barrels and use different magazines. The Desert Eagle just isn't that impressive, in my opinion. Now, the Baby Eagles... they are pretty sweet.

"I honestly prefer a .357 Colt Python over a Deasert Eagle. It has that "pop" to it that I love."

The Python is nice, although you can buy a Taurus .357 that can hold 8 rounds. It also comes in (ported) barrel lengths of 6.5 and 9 & 2/3 inches. I like revolvers: you can shoot hollow points. Most pistols only shoot hardball.

"Anyhoo... if I ever own a pistol, I want a Beretta."

Berettas are pretty nice, although I think you mostly pay an extra $80-100 for the name. Caliber would be the more relevant factor.
Robot Chicken Koko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I ever own a pistol, it will shoot Liquid Hot Magma.
Aramor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New favourite game weapon...

Every thing you can use as a weapon in Canes Canem Edit:

-Oh look, I learned how to make firecrackers... "pang"
-Stinkbombs
-Marbles
-Itching Powder
-Those trays you get at the cafeteria to put your food on
-Apples
-Bricks
-And ofcourse, my slingshot including x2 zoom scope and infinite ammo!!!

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Azrael

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfos wrote:
"I honestly prefer a .357 Colt Python over a Deasert Eagle. It has that "pop" to it that I love."

The Python is nice, although you can buy a Taurus .357 that can hold 8 rounds. It also comes in (ported) barrel lengths of 6.5 and 9 & 2/3 inches. I like revolvers: you can shoot hollow points. Most pistols only shoot hardball.

I actually got to use the Python, and the Taurus. True, it does have more chambers, but the gun looks a bit clunky compared to the Python. And the recoil when you actually fire it does not feel the same to the Python. But if I were given a choice from the Desert Eagle and the Taurus, it would be the Taurus. But between the Taurus and the Python, the Python, it may not hold as many rounds, but it is generally lighter and more comfortable. Well to me at least.

And new cool weapon. But would custom weapons work here? If so, The Blade of the Fallen Angel. My primary weapon in Oblivion. It's pretty much a katana agumented with several enchanted stones. Seriously, it glows white then red, the white drains magika and health while red casues a burn. It was modified after a Avakari Katana.

Married to SpideyGirl.
cfos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I actually got to use the Python, and the Taurus. True, it does have more chambers, but the gun looks a bit clunky compared to the Python. And the recoil when you actually fire it does not feel the same to the Python. But if I were given a choice from the Desert Eagle and the Taurus, it would be the Taurus. But between the Taurus and the Python, the Python, it may not hold as many rounds, but it is generally lighter and more comfortable. Well to me at least. "

Of course the recoil is different. The Python does not come with a ported barrel. "Porting" allows various gasses to escape prior to the bullet leaving the barrel. If you frequently shot the .357 round you would know that the Python kicks up (witha slight lateral shift) as the bullet exits the barrel. The Taurus does some, but because of the porting the barrel, is more likely to stay on target with less kick pushing it straight up. Granted, the Taurus seems clunky to some on appearance, but both guns are made with stainless steel, so the ability to absorb the impact is the same. The Taurus has a nice rubber grip that also absorbs some of the recoil -- don't remember the grip on the Python. I've shot almost everything out there starting with black powder (ah... to be living back in Texas... *sigh*) and own, perhaps, more than my share (to my wife's chagrin). To each their own.

As for fantasy... my vote would be the frying pan from Fable.
Azrael

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess you're right about that, but hey, we all have our own preferences. Don't know if I've said this yet, but the Kar98K and the M1 Garand on any WWII game. And if I can choose it, a scoped Kar98K.

Married to SpideyGirl.
AAATripper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2142:The Krylov FA-37 AR is the most versatile assault rifle ever devised in a video game (with the exception of the 99 round Assault Rifle from Aliens). Single shot+ 2.5xZoom=pwnage.

Any Star Wars game: Lightsaber

Any mystical-other worldly game: Magic

Battle For Middle Earth: Free orcs, lots of them.

Battle For Middle Earth 2: Silverthorn Arrows, lots of them.

Pinball: the left bump

Baldurs Gate II: Spectral Brand +5, or any ranged weapon that generates it's own ammo.
setg'-in

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimme a sniper rifle with a large clip and some kind of explosive (may it b throwable or rocket propeled) and ill do fine. i like hiding in trees biuldings ect. and blowing there little brains out then with the siper rifle win vehicles come rollin in a i blow the living shit out of them with the explosive weapons. air crafts wood b my vehicle of choice i love dog fights

AND GOD SAID LET THERE B HOT SAUCE!!!
setg'-in

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in a star wars game i wood use the power of the sith 2 get by with ease LONG LIVE DARTH MAUL

AND GOD SAID LET THERE B HOT SAUCE!!!
Lunabella

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

south park - Yellow snowball

say no more.
Bloo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated list.

Halo: Assault Rifle.
Final Fantasy: Katanas.
GoW: Anything that looks coolio.
AVP2: Let's use the knife and say I killed a Queen with it. But seriously, that weapon was as useless as being unarmed. The only use it would have would be throwing it, which you can't.
Lunabella

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doom chainsaw.
Railgun from quake 2
don't remember the name, but is was a weapon from turok 1, the final weapon, you had to find all the parts of it, wich were hidden in secret places all over your way towards the end. It gave some ion cannon like pulse, followed by something that could be described as a mini thermo nuclear blast.

Nuke launcher from shadow warrior.
Sword in shadow warrior
sniper rifle from UT1 (good times)
shrink ray from duke nukem 3D
Bloo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, who can forget the sniper rifle?
AAATripper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Executor was the final gun from Turok, but my personal fave was the Cerebral Bore from Turok 2 and Turok Rage Wars, and I never really got into Turok 3: Oblivion, but I'd have to say the Tek Crossbow was my favorite.
Bloo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite was the rifle in the first... unless I said it before...
AAATripper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only AK-47 ever featured with 3-round burst fire mode was featured in Turok. I just finished playing through Tempests Spine on DDO and I'd have to say, my wizards lightning bolt (maximized empowered and heightened) is the most badass weapon this world has ever seen, I am one of 27 wizards that can put out a lightning bolt that does over 800 damage on my server (Khyber).
Lunabella

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lonely_Guy wrote:
The only AK-47 ever featured with 3-round burst fire mode was featured in Turok. I just finished playing through Tempests Spine on DDO and I'd have to say, my wizards lightning bolt (maximized empowered and heightened) is the most badass weapon this world has ever seen, I am one of 27 wizards that can put out a lightning bolt that does over 800 damage on my server (Khyber).

Actually, the FPS : Kingpin Also featured a ak 47 with a 3 shot burst. You could even get a cooler later in the game, making the downtime a bit shorter.
Bloo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lonely_Guy wrote:

So I was half right? Sorry, haven't played in years. I need an Emulator.
Forumgoer Unavailable

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BFG 9000.
Any kind of shotty.
Railguns.
Rocket launchers.

'Nuff said.
AAATripper

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up the name of that Turok Weapon, its the Chronoscepter, the bigass explodey game that only has 3 shots for the entire game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Video games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: