Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Surface

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cfos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Surface Reply with quote

I caught this show on the HD station. Something about a dinosaur living in the ocean...? Anyone know much about this show? I'm not sure if it is one of those 1-season wonders, like "conviction" that lasts 1 season.
Lunabella

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would it be so surprising that some nautical dinosaurs were still alive?

The last 200 years there have been so many reports of such creatures being sighted by sailors and other people. Drunks? I've been drunk off the boot tons of times, but I never ever saw things that weren't real.
Except for hot ladies seeming to be interested in me. haha.

No seriously. I'm pretty sure such animals still roam the oceans.
People say:"Well, if they exist, why don't they go look for them then?"

Simple answer. Expeditions to "look" for something specific costs money. LOTS of money. Now I doubt any museum/research center would invest thousands of dollars to send some people off looking for something the existance isn't proven of.
Also, it will most likely bust a lot of scientists bubble to suddenly discover some real life dinosaur, especially because they are extinct and all.
cfos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Think I'm in agreement with what you say. They may be something under the water that we don't know about. The issue would be whether or not the climate change over thousands of years, etc. would still permit such things. Also, availablity of food. Haven't seen much of the show, but I like the premise. After doing an internet search I think the series was cancelled, though.
Lunabella

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfos wrote:
I Think I'm in agreement with what you say. They may be something under the water that we don't know about. The issue would be whether or not the climate change over thousands of years, etc. would still permit such things. Also, availablity of food. Haven't seen much of the show, but I like the premise. After doing an internet search I think the series was cancelled, though.

Well scientists claim sharks have not changed over millions and millions of years. Now, except for the fact of air breathing and all, wouldn't you consider the survival conditions for a shark practically the same as for a nautical reptile? Water temperature, food supplies, basically all the needs are the same. We don't even know if the nautical reptiles needed land to reproduce, they might as well have been live bearing or nautical-egg laying.
cfos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I agree with you (luna) on this... Historically, I think either alligators or crocs may be "older" than sharks... but, not sure on this front. However, it is true that sharks haven't changed in quite a long time.

I found this link which was pretty interesting:
http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/evolution/origin_modern.htm

If you click on the link at the bottom of the page of the above link, you may even see a cow shark (!)

I don't know that I would make the same assumptions about sharks and the reptiles. One theory about the extinction of the dinosaurs would argue that temperature changes in the environment contributed. Take the alligator I cited above. I don't know the exact temps or which way is what, but from what I recall, aligator farmers can control the sex of the developing aligator by controlling the outside temperature.. ah here is the article:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v296/n5860/abs/296850a0.html

Anyway, not sure the same is true for the shark. I freely admit, though, I may be wrong.
Lunabella

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole climate change that "caused the dinosaur extinction" sounds very wrong to me. There are so many species that remained alive trough those years, such as crocs, and they require pretty warm enviroment climates to survive. "The so called meteor that caused a dustcloud covering the earth so a cold era happened"? Pretty lame theory if you ask me. If that was the case, everything would have died, including mammals.
cfos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you may not believe the climate change biz, a climate change could affect plant life, which could affect herbavoires which could affect them meat eaters... Look at the civilzation on the Gulf Coast after the hurricanes. It's still not up and running and we, as a people, have opposable thumbs! Given a few, 100 or 1000 years, yes the climate change could greatly change the food chain if there is no food around. As for the crocs and the aforementioned sharks, they did survive, but let's look at their relative size relative to the giant sea monsters. Some species are better at adapting or more resistant to change. I don't think it is too hard to go along with that. Some lunies would argue that the earth is a living organism and that the AIDs virus came about to wipe out the parasitic infection (us).
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunabella wrote:
If that was the case, everything would have died, including mammals.

The extinction of the dinosaurs (if you subscribe to the climate change argument), was a factor of the sheer size of the animals. A large animal requires an awful lot of food to simply survive, let alone remain active. As cfos said, a dust cloud thrown up by a meteor, for example would have dramatically affected the primary production in terrestrial environments (by reducing the amount of energy available for growth via photosynthesis). Without an abundant food source, the massive herbivores would slowly have died out, followed quickly by the predators that hunted them. The first mammals that were alive at the time were extremely small creatures (mostly not much bigger than the modern shrew) with much smaller energy requirements that would have allowed them to survive such a long period of upheaval. Coupled with the greater adaptability that stemmed from their ability to regulate their own body temperature, this led to the rise of mammals and the position we find ourselves in today, where most of the megafauna is mammalian rather than reptilian.

Interestingly, there is evidence that such a meteor did hit earth about that time, in a blast crater (many kilometres across) in Mexico (I think, I'm a little hazy on this). Researchers have calculated that the meteor would not even have to have been particularly big, in the order of tens of metres, to have caused so much damage.

Master Chainsaw wrote:
Aurelyn becomes enraged by imbecilic displays of illiteracy, as is his wont.

Simon_Says wrote:
Sal would know. He stole many jobs from guys named Shaun.
Azrael

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this the show where those boys find the iguana-like creature and keep it as a pet? While the mother is searching for the adult form? If so, I saw one of the earlier episodes. Then never caught it again...

Married to SpideyGirl.
cfos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Az: Yeah, that's the show. It kinda held my attention for a bit, but can't seem to find it anymore. I don't think there were many episodes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: