Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
This seems te be about sports

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cfos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm I NY Yankee fan (baseball) at heart, and Kerry seemed the closest thing to the Yankees -- and also when I was in Dublin (definately the best jersey) I saw Kerry beat... I think it was Mayo? Not sure.

I just saw that Dublin vs Tyrone (February 3rd)... sold out! 82000 seats!?!? Damn!
cfos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is definately a great sport and fun to watch. The Yankee game must have been incredibly SLOW for you *L* Kinda like waiting to see if Pakestan would return from a cricket tea break! *L*
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, slow it may have been, but half of the fun was watching the crowd. It was like a whole different event! Much like a cricket match, actually.. Wink

Master Chainsaw wrote:
Aurelyn becomes enraged by imbecilic displays of illiteracy, as is his wont.

Simon_Says wrote:
Sal would know. He stole many jobs from guys named Shaun.
cfos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... sounds like you are describe the right-field bleechers -- where they call out each players name until they get a hat-tip. Good times, good times.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few deaf players on the Yankees in that case! Unless they just like having the crowd chant their name for ages... Much more likely now that I think about it...

It's all starting to make sense, unlike my superbowl experience... We get it over here too and I still can't figure it out...Why are the players allowed to beat on each other when the 'ball' is half a mile away down the other end of the pitch?

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Simon_Says wrote:
cfos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in (American) football you are allowed to make contact at the line.The guys on one side try to get at the guys who have the ball. It is supposed to be open-hand contact (not gripping, slugging, etc.) unless you are making contact with the guy that has the ball. If you are making contact with the guy that has the ball, you are free to throw them down, tackle, punch the ball loose, etc. There are exceptions though:

1. The quarterback (guy who gets the ball when the play starts) is "protected" meaning you can't haul off and beat the crap out of him -- especially if he doesn't have the ball.

2. The kicker -- can't make contact with him while in the process of kicking.

3. A punt-returner -- can make contact if he signals a "fair catch" -- meaning he won't run with the ball after catching it.

4. There are also specific hits that are penalized -- helmet to helmet contact, is an example.

Hope this helps.

As for the Yankees, I think they like hearing their name. I know I would.
Spock

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more of a Rangers fan, because, well, they're my home team, so...yeah.

Anyways, baseball is quite fun to watch. Not exactly as massively popular with American males as Football is, but it is still our pastime.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx, that does help! Do you guys not find the game a little, I dunno, choppy and broken though? My only real analogue here is rugby, which I grew up with, and it tends to be a lot more fluid with longer stretches of play, although it's getting less so. Maybe I'm just missing the point.

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Simon_Says wrote:
cfos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it can be choppy and flat out boring from time to time. There are some teams that definately have more talent than the others and some games are just horrible to watch. But, some crappy teams will always find a way to win... at least one of their games. There is far more strategy involved in (American) football than baseball. You also have harsher elements and 300+ lbs people trying to crush you. Injuries also play a major roll in the sport in that a season can be "over" for a team if they lose one (key) player. Attending games can be fun. I haven't been to a game in a few years, but there is a good atmosphere -- sorta like Mardi Gras in NOLA. People get up early, drive out to a lot, set up grills and drink. My brother sometimes goes to New England Patriot games and has grilled lobster while tailgating (but that is a new england thing). It is a very cost-heavy sport to attend. You'll wind up paying $50-100 for a ticket, more if you want "good seats", plus parking, plus food if you want it when inside...

I can't say I ever saw a full game of rugby so I don't know if I can make the comparison. Most people shit all over (American) football) because the players wear pads, but there are usually some nasty hits (Joe Theisman's broken thigh bone protruding through the skin comes to mind). There is probably a lot of cultural influence at play, also. This year's Superbowl... I dunno. The QB for the Bears is either on or off. So, it could be a blow-out or a good game. Depends on which QB shows up.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you guys get rugby? If you're a football fan you should check it out... Very similar to football in the sense that the loss of a few key players can ruin a side for the season, and because of the lack of pads the toll on a player's body is pretty intense... I imagine that the rules for tackling are probably more stringent than in football, because of the serious risk of damage to the head/neck and back from a poor challenge.

It's a beautiful, tactical game when played well, however. The oft-quoted saying over here is that football (soccer) is a game of gentlemen played by thugs, and rugby is a game of thugs played by gentlemen. Getting exciting recently because our own precious Munster (Irish regional side) had produced a truly world-class side, making things interesting for both the European cup and World cup.

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Simon_Says wrote:
cfos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spock -- It will be interesting to see if Sosa makes the Rangers this year. He sounds optimistic... I think he is too old and more a distraction.

aurelyn (when said aloud, your name sounds surprising like Ireland -- intential?): Rugby is actually a very popular college/university sport. I went to a small college in upstate NY and they even had a rugby team. Some schools also have it as a "club" sport -- when I was in Texas, there was a club team that had a few competitions locally. I'm sure it is on ESPN or another channel, but I don't watch enough tv to know. I'd probably watch it if it came on, but the luxury of 150+ channels... well, somewhere something stupid is likely on (unfortunately, NOT the GAA). Last night, I ended up watching The Bourne Identity.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfos wrote:
aurelyn (when said aloud, your name sounds surprising like Ireland -- intential?)

Try saying it in a Belfast accent now.... Wink

You mean you can't get GAA on TV? Shame, I always had the mental image of 20 million Americans glued to All-Ireland final every year! Dunno why, really...

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Simon_Says wrote:
cfos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, no GAA broadcasts... *L* I tell yah, that country should get with it and broadcast over the internet!
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you kidding? The GAA are so into tradition and "the way things have always been done" etc. that they only recently allowed other sports to be played anywhere near GAA pitches. And there was war over that. The internet is way too newfangled for that sort of thing. Television was bad enough! And it's definitely true that the radio commentary for the hurling is way better than the television commentators. Actually that's true for a lot of sports over here... Maybe they feel that no-one's listening but some outrageous things are said during matches that would be cause for public stonings on the telly.

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Simon_Says wrote:
cfos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny you should say that. I thought the crew on Ireland a.m. were pretty funny and was surprised at some of the stuff they said on the air. One of the newspapers I read was also pretty hilarious -- I don't remember which paper, but half of the paper was devoted to sports while the other half was news. Anyway, there was some story about a chick in a beauty pagent and the article was ripping her aspirations for wanting to go up and be a vet technician. Brilliant!

I don't much care for many of the announcers for sports television over here. Way back when, Phil Rizzuto (former Yankee great) used to do the play by play with Bill White (who became commisiner of one of the leagues, I think). They were good. I think Tom Seaver (former baseball player replaced White) was also good. But, Bobby Murcer (former Yankee) was horrible. As for our football, John Madden is too old to be telecasting and has a face meant for radio. I don't know how Joe Buck got to where he is -- I think he must be Ryan Seacrest (American Idol)'s older brother, but I can't stand him. The ESPN krewe is ok, but why do they always have to yell? One problem over here is that everyone has to be so politically correct that there isn't much room for humor while broadcasting. I wish Howard Stern would broadcast sports.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Ireland a.m. is a class show - great for slowly swimming towards wakefulness of a morning... On mature reflection, we really don't hold a patch up to you guys for political correctness. Some of the pundits like Jimmy McGee are such an institution that they can really get away with saying any old bollocks that they feel like. Howard Stern would make a brilliant commentator I'd say..

Was the chick from the Rose of Tralee? A wonderful piece of old school pageantry, Irish style Wink Every contestant has to do a little act, like a school review or something - nowhere else would you see some hot blonde dressed to the nines doing standup or juggling.. Absolutely brilliant!

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Simon_Says wrote:
cfos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could do with a little more "freedom" in our news programs and sports announcing. But, it is a very litigious society and most people would rather make money in a lawsuit that have to do it the old fashioned way --by getting a job.

I wish I saved the paper -- it was last August, I think that we were across the pond.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're getting that way, too - it's funny, the more affluent the country becomes, the more determined people seem to be to screw each other out of what they have. There's a massive lawsuit just been taken out on the main arts centre in Cork because some nitwit climbed up a cherry picker that was parked outside for a lighting installation while drunk, fell off and landed on his head. Couldn't possibly have been his fault.. That said, the lawsuit's being taken out by the family, 'cos the stupid twat is probably gonna be a vegetable for the rest of his life.

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Simon_Says wrote:
cfos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do y'all really drink Murphy's instead of Guinness in Cork?

Cases like that really piss me off. Mrs. cfos is actually an attorney for a firm that generally defends companys that get sued by people you describe. It is really bad because what will likely happen is that the company owning the cherry picker will likely settle for an amount out of court that would be cheaper than what they would pay if they brought it to court and won. Granted, I don't know much about the legal system o'er there, but that is what happens o'er here.
Robot Chicken Koko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad got sued for firing somebody that had been gone from work for three months at his cousin's funeral. He literally walked back into the office, and expected to be welcomed with open arms after not explaining the funeral would take not three days, but three months (but not really three months). He played the racism card, but the thing got thrown out almost immediately.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think out-of-court settlements are as common here 'cos our legal fees probably aren't as astronomical - could be wrong tho.

[quote="cfos"]Do y'all really drink Murphy's instead of Guinness in Cork?/quote]

Ah, the age old "which stout do you drink?" issue. Murphy's, being locally brewed, is drunk far more in Cork than anywhere else, probably on about a par with Guinness (which most of the tourists drink). The reason why it's not drunk outside of the city is 'cos it tastes worse the further away from Cork it gets. Either it doesn't travel well, or it's all a big plot by Guinness...
Personally I'm a fan of Beamish, which is our oldest brewery in Cork. Stuff tastes worse the further away from South Main Street you get tho, and a bad pint of it is shocking (must be sensitive to poor handling, travel, changes in the weather Very Happy ). So you really only find it drunk in a few pubs where people know it's good.

And just to keep this thread getting moved (again), Ireland won their first match of the Six Nations rugby yesterday, beating Wales 19-9. Awesome..

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Simon_Says wrote:
cfos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Beamish! I did have a pint of that when I was in Dublin. I didn't much care for the guinness "Toucan" brew, though. Actually, we can get Murphy's in widgit-can four-packs. I can't tell the difference between it and the Guinness cans I get over here. Of course, Utah is a little different than the rest of the states due to state-liquor laws...

Got nothin' to contribute to the thread on these 'ole sports...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: