Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
LotR Marathon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IreneDAdler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: LotR Marathon Reply with quote

Bernieh, that marathon is like liquid awesome! You are so lucky to have a significant other who has such deep appreciation for these movies. I only wish my boyfriend would be as compliant with my passion for these movies. I own all three extended editions, but none of my friends would ever agree to a non-stop marathon Sad So please, take all the time you need to rest and reflect on the awesomeness you just experienced Smile Then when you're done, start over at the beginning and listen to all the commentaries! Very Happy
Lunabella

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even tho I liked the movies, I could NOT survive a LOTR marathon. Especially considering these hours could be spent in playing WOW.
AAATripper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I frequently fake sick and spend 12 hours at a time watching all 3 extended versions just because i love those movies so much. the battles really focus on everything, not just the heroes. That was Eragons flaw, the battle between the Varden (if thats what they're called) and the generic bad-guy dictators army was lame and pointless, it was all about the dragons (who were lame in their own right, I mean, feathered wings?)
Hivequeen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Married_Guy wrote:
it was all about the dragons (who were lame in their own right, I mean, feathered wings?)

I agree that a battle should be about more than just one creature (dragons) but what's so lame about them having feathered wings? Some archaeologists speculate that certain dinosaurs may have had feathers for insulation purposes. It's not so far-fetched to put them on dragons.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except bats and pterosaurs do not have feathers. Nor do flying insects. However the former two both had/have hair, or hair like features on thier wing membranes. However again attention must be paid to cases such as the archaeopterygiformes. They were basically lizards with feathers, however they had feathers all over, not just on their wings.

Feathers are great things for flying animals. They're light, tough, insulating, and can be adapted to suit many needs. However they're best used when they cover the entire body, or at least a significant portion of it. Insulation wise, those wings are covering a wide surface area, and can catch sunlight pretty effectively.

Also I don't imagine wings would need much insulation, sure it might get cold up there, but not that cold except, say, extreme altitude or winter, for conditions to so that the wing membrane just freezes and becomes brittle. No, I'd expect insulation on the body. The wings, if they chill up (which I imagine they wouldn't, more on that later.), might still do their purpose. However if the muscles flapping those wings get cold, that crazy lizard aint going anywhere.

Besides, you got a giant animal flapping these huge monstrous things in the air, and doing so at some pretty awesome speeds. If that doesn't warm her up, I don't know what can. In fact, heat production from the dragon's own movement might just be big enough that the wings would make sense to be adapted to become radiators, dumping excess heat through blood flowing in the wings like some desert animals do with other body parts (especially ears).

So generally, no, feathers are not the best idea for a dragon. Except if it was actually covering the whole body, where the whole feather layer could be put to altering the aerodynamics of the creature. But then it'd be just an ordinary talking chicken.

The only reason for putting feathered wings on a dragon is as a symbol. Typically dragons are pretty nasty fire breathing mutherfukers, with wings like a bat (when dragons were being thought up, bats were usually regarded as some pretty freaky if not outright evil beasties. Not to mention these dragons were supposed to have a ferocious temperament like bats.). And now you got the goody goody dragon of light, who kills evil dictators, saves the day, walks the dog, makes coffee, and even takes care of the kids if she doesn't eat them first. And so she must have feathered wings, since birds, the primary owner of that feature, are typically wise, regal, good, or simply graceful and majestic.

Still, Draco from Dragonheart pulled off being all regal and stuff whilst still retaining some badass leather.

As for LotR marathons. Fuck man, I did that once, I actually started to sleep through all the sam 'n' frodo bits and skipped to good ol' orc ass kicking in the middle of The Two Towers.
But even that wasn't complete, watch all the LotR films, extended, plus the bonus featurettes. Now you got the whole experience. If you can handle it, add the old cartoon version (you know the cartoon one, without the Return of the King part, and Gimli was as tall as Aragorn. REMEMBER?) and have some laughs at how even back then, no one loved Tom Bombadil.

Then you have to watch the One Ring To Rule Them All series. Just to top it all off.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to watch Lord of the G-Strings... that movie is fucking hilarious...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Twistys

Location: Finnland, I think. Not sure... Is that a Polar Bear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I watched the whole trilogy it was a either new year's eve or new year 2005. I watched the movies through in one sit. I had some pop corn, oh and a puzzle of 1500 pieces. I can't recall totaly but after or before the movies I had watched the second or third season of 24. There was a 24 marathon on one channel. I got the puzzle done before my tv marathon ended.
cfos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haven't seen the Lord o the G-strings, but my favorite is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoJBRP5hf4c
Lilyiris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working for a temp agency... which means that sometimes there is no work for a couple of days. Last time this happened... I did the original Star Wars Trilogy one day and the LOtR the next... I RULE!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aramor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done two marathons so far. One we watched all four Alien movies and abunch of other movies. All in all we were tied to the tv from wednesday 20:00 till thursday 16:00.

The other one we watched Star Trek: Nemesis, Pitch Black, Predator 1 & 2 and the Terminator trilogy.

And I'm planning on doing a zombie marathon with a friend sometime soon. Right now I have City of the Living Dead, Tombs of the Blinddead, Dawn of the Dead (both original and new), Shaun of the Dead and both Resivels. Should be fun.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
AAATripper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A marathon of the 6 Star Wars movies is kinda fun once you get past Episode 1.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still haven't done the lotr marathon. By the time the extended version of the third one came out I'd watched the first two far, far too many times. So I cheated and joined the marathon two-thirds of the way through..

Did watch about three seasons of the west wing straight through one weekend tho.

Master Chainsaw wrote:
Aurelyn becomes enraged by imbecilic displays of illiteracy, as is his wont.

Simon_Says wrote:
Sal would know. He stole many jobs from guys named Shaun.
Lilyiris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aurelyn wrote:

Did watch about three seasons of the west wing straight through one weekend tho.

I have watched whole seasons of tv at a time.... Sopranos, The Wire, ... I remember once my boyfriend and I watched both seasons of Sports Night in I think 2 days... it was awesome Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cfos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sopranos and Battlestar Galactica are very addictive. I can watch those series all day. I also wish there were more episodes of Firefly. While I'm wishing, I'll also make a shout-out to more episodes of Farscape.
Lilyiris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: shows Reply with quote

I really Like Heroes. Anyone watch that?
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a recent addict... Band of Brothers?

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Simon_Says wrote:
cfos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Heros... but I keep waiting for something to happen... like a plot (I like Jericho, but same thing -- waiting for a plot, waiting for a plot WAITING FOR A PLLLOOOOTTTT! *L*). I'm actually quite thankful that you can watch Heros on the NBC site. I got sucked into watching 24. I watched the first season and hadn't watched it since. I like that show, too.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24 rocks, although the plotlines are beginning to stretch even a hardened 24-watcher's credulity! Has anyone seen this site? Good for a laugh...

http://www.chthonic.f9.co.uk/24/
cfos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any problems with the plots of 24 -- I had only seen the first season, prior to the new one... but having said that... I can see what you are saying. I mean, it is the 6th season and what can you do to keep it going? Out of curiousity, has Jack Bauer ever pee'd on an episode? I'd like to see him have to deal with a raging 'bout of "the runs"... maybe fart... just something so that he appears human. It doesn't even have to be him -- it could be anyone on the cast. We are talking 24 freakin hours!

P.S. The wife and I loved Ireland when we visited! Go Kerry! Kick Cork's Fukkin' arse again!
Lilyiris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aurelyn
I am an HBO addict. Thank god for netflix! Band of Brothers was amazing. Rome is also pretty good. I think Heroes is neat because ti is taking it's time... giving us tiny bits of info instead of bombarding us with backstory so that we can get to the plot... I feel like it's kinda like the 1st movie in a trilogy (i.e. lots of story, small but not boring or unimportant action)
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfos wrote:
Go Kerry! Kick Cork's Fukkin' arse again!

Kerry?!! Kerry???? The Kingdom shall never triumph over the People's Republic!! Laughing

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/

You're not wrong tho - In 5 series I've never seen Jack lose bladder control.
"I'm Jack Bauer, and this is the longest anyone's ever held a pee...

Just got the first series of Rome - sumptuous.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do like our sport...
Or maybe it's the gratuitous violence followed by the piss-up, who knows?

I saw the Yankees play when I was in the States - good laugh, but I still hadn't figured the rules out by the end of the game, and no-one felt like explaining to the dumb Paddy what was going on...

No-one got hit in the head by a hurley either. Sad
Munan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved this to the movie and tv section and also split the section in which people were talking about...

I don't know what the hell they were talking about, but it seemed to be about sports, so it went here: http://alienlovespredator.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2697&sid=f7953b0f4b3fb06ae61752bc1fb0edd9

Still moderating, baby.
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much apologies for the rampant off-topicness Munan.

Master Chainsaw wrote:

Simon_Says wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: