Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Steely Dan appreciation thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cfos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Steely Dan appreciation thread Reply with quote

I think Steely Dan is underappreciated and their talent often goes unrecognized.

I was in Macy's yesterday and they were playing a cover of Dan (Edit: Only a Fool would say that) and it made it think -- not many people cover them. Nevertheless, they often are played in odd places especially if you "listen" to the lyrics. About two years ago, the Dalai Lama was the Presidential lecturer at the Society for Neuroscience annual meeting (Washington DC). Prior to his talk, the speakers were piping out 2 against nature (recent Dan release) which I thought was interesting. Especially so, since they played through the Cousin Dupree track -- Any one recall the tongue-in-cheek "argument" where Dan threated to sue Owen Wilson over his movie? Or that the band took their name from a dildo out of "Naked Lunch"? Not exactly a band/song you would thing a spiritual leader would listen to.

Personally, I think their music is not only outstanding, but technically challenging because of the interplay of the piano and guitar (just try to listen/play "Reelin' in the years" -- not too technically challenging for the piano, but just listen to how well the guitar and piano accompany each other). Not too many bands still incorporate both (and do it well -- Ben Folds seems to be the exception).

Last edited by cfos on Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
barryscott-reincarnated=]

Location: the deepest circle of hell. plotting my cillit war on humanity.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well tbh ive never heard of steely dan

but i see your point.

but it made me feel witty and strong.

"guns dont kill people. people with mustaches kill people"
cfos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have, but just didn't know. If you haven't, you should give it a shot

Other popular SD hits that get airplay:

"Do it again"

"Rikki don't lose that number"

"My Old School"

"Kid Charlemagne" -- This song doesn't get as much airplay as the songs above. Not sure why... maybe because the song is about a guy who manufactures drugs in his mobile home?

Two against nature won 4 grammys in 2000 including Album of the year.
Digitaaliklosetti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Godwhacker on a mix-tape somewhere.

I uh...

Appreciate that?
bernieh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always "liked" and "appreciated" Steely Dan - Reelin' in the Years is a classic - but something about how their (admittedly tremendous) musicianship was so "technical" and "clean" is a bit off-putting to me. In other words, they don't FUCKING ROCK OUT.
cfos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dan did/does rock out in concert! (went to 2 against Nature a few years ago and I like one of those concert albums from the 90s) I also read an interview that the solos in Kid Charlemagne and My Old School were AD LIB (below)!

Sure, the Dan's albums are NOT like Rusted Root or God Street Wine (IMO -- some of the best rock out bands)... Then again, their roots are in Jazz and I would gather that most of their songs (especially in the early days) played better in concert.

http://www.steelydan.com/bbc.html

AD LIB!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: