Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Check Out My Nuclear Rolexes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Aliens, Predators, all that
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Check Out My Nuclear Rolexes. Reply with quote

It seems that people take it for granted that a predator's left bracer has a nuclear device in it, and why not? When we see it go boom it creates all the tell-tale signs of your standard Hiroshima. Fireballs, mushroom clouds, and hell if Ahnuld's kids don't grow up with two heads.

But technologically, how could that be feasible? For nuclear fission, there's a minimum critical mass involved, which is typically 5kg and up, depending on the material. So we got 5kg of californium-251 hidden somewhere on our Yautja's person, and yet we still need a device to blow the damn thing up, not to mention prevent radiation leakage. Yeah, that bomb is going to be easy to carry around, even for a super-human alien.

Fusion? Well, typically we use fission bombs just to start up the fusion reaction. But that's probably no problem for our big green man. Equipment wouldn't necessarily be too big, but based on human fusion reactor designs, I'd expect to see some massive (i.e. obviously visible) rings on Celtic's costume, where the plasma would circulate.

Has someone yet considered the simplest solution? You'd need only tiny amounts of anti-matter to make some big booms, and the equipment to contain and harvest the reaction could feasibly be placed in a Yautja's breastplate or bracers, considering they got the tech and resources to go galaxy hopping simply for sport. Sure it may not be a 'nuke', but I'd imagine an antimatter explosion would be very similar, just a lot heavier on radiation, which makes up the bulk of a nuke's power anyway.

Antimatter could also explain how Preds could manage cloaking, which I'd imagine would be a pretty energy-intensive exercise. If you're bending light on the visible spectrum (not necessarily the whole spectrum, more on that later)* you're going to need a lot of juice, juice that I doubt even fusion could manage to produce on the scale of strap-on equipment, even with Pred tech. It could also explain in part why the 'energy sift' in the AvP games work. They're just sucking in whatever matter they can, and converting it to antimatter for later use (however I expect they use a far more efficient method of anti-matter production than what we're currently doing).

Of course this idea might clash with canon. Thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

*Koko posted a thread (clickey) that showcased the invention of a device that could make objects invisible on the microwave spectrum. The tech could possibly be extended to cover any range of the EM spectrum, and could possibly be built on that basis by the Preds. By using only a limited spectrum (specifically that which their prey can see in) they're invisible, and yet could sue other modes of vision to prevent blindness (I don't think there's a single time in the films where they're not using a special vision mode while cloaked, which backs me statement.) It took some power just to bend microwaves, think about the entire range of visible radiation then. Yep, deuterium aint gonna cut it.

Location: in a cave, deep, deep under the city, waiting for the next post.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always thought that they would use anti-matter. but a good question is, what sort of antimatter? i mean, they would have to be sure that those elements would never, ever occour elsewhere. i mean, say they uses carbon and anti-carbon. they fall off a cliff (for example), crack the container, then POW! goodbye earth!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Aramor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Simon.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Telveryon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is enough anti-matter in your glass to level New York, you don't need a special container for that. Anti-matter is everywhere and anywhere, the only thing you have to do is to separate it from matter and use it on the spot or store it for short a amount of time and if you get in trouble, just vent it and you should be ok.

^Don't click the picture!
Medieval speak doth be a trademark of Telveryon & Telveryon_Recites Inc.
Digitaaliklosetti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor the Nobel Whore wrote:
I have nothing to contribute, and yet keep posting, because I, being an old, established member of the forum, can get away with it.

And while I'm at it.

Simon_Says wrote:
I'm a huge pedantic douche.

You know I'm right. But just to be fair.

Digitaaliklosetti wrote:
I'm a giant fucking hypocrite

Aramor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe... he sees through us all.

Well, actually I was first gonna write a really witty remark about Simon's post, but then I thought that that would be cruel... so then I was gonna write some technological mumbo-jumbo that would enforce Simon's post or something, but then I decided I can use my brain cells in another way, namely posting that and drinking a beer...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Sal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, actually I was first gonna write a really witty remark about Simon's post, but then I thought that that would be cruel... so then I was gonna write some technological mumbo-jumbo that would enforce Simon's post or something, but then I decided I can use my brain cells in another way, namely posting that and drinking a beer...

another win for the Nobel Whore!
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digitaaliklosetti wrote:
I have nothing to contribute, and yet keep posting, because I, being an old, established member of the forum, can get away with it.
And while I'm at it.
Simon_Says wrote:
I'm a huge pedantic douche.
You know I'm right. But just to be fair.
Digitaaliklosetti wrote:
I'm a giant fucking hypocrite
Man, you owe me a new keyboard again.

wrincewind wrote:
i always thought that they would use anti-matter. but a good question is, what sort of antimatter? i mean, they would have to be sure that those elements would never, ever occour elsewhere. i mean, say they uses carbon and anti-carbon. they fall off a cliff (for example), crack the container, then POW! goodbye earth!
It doesn't really matter what kind of matter it is, just how much mass of it you have. 12 g fo anti-hydrogen will do the same damage as 12 g of anticarbon. You'd still need a lot of antimatter to go planet cracking. But yes, drop a teaspoon and you could get away with leveling an average city.

Telveryon wrote:
There is enough anti-matter in your glass to level New York, you don't need a special container for that. Anti-matter is everywhere and anywhere, the only thing you have to do is to separate it from matter and use it on the spot or store it for short a amount of time and if you get in trouble, just vent it and you should be ok.
Oh man, the science in this statement could take days of writing to begin to scratch the tip of that iceberg.

Antimatter is very rare in nature (if it even exists at all naturally in this corner of the universe), and the only antimatter ever conclusively known to exist has been the stuff made in labs (which currently takes very expensive, energy intensive, difficult, and inefficient processes to make a sprinkle of antiparticles). In fact, it is one of the great mysteries of science why the presence of matter and anti-matter in the known universe is so biased towards matter, and not in equilibrium.

If antimatter was present in the universe as you say, everything would spontaneously annihilate. Antimatter is completely separate from matter, it is no a part of it. You don't get it from 'separating' it from normal matter. And yes, it would take special safety precautions and equipment to transport and store antimatter fuel.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal Paradise wrote:
another win for the Nobel Whore!

What did I win this time?

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Aliens, Predators, all that All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: