Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Geograpy? Who the F%$@ Cares?
    page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> General B.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robot Chicken Koko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Geograpy? Who the F%$@ Cares? Reply with quote

This is an image (after I subtly edited it), that has come up in my Geography class. I posed the question "What is geography" to myself a few times and never really gotten a good answer. I still don't know what we are studying and if Geography really exists, but this image pissed me off and a few other people. I makes no sense at all. Please share your comments.
Aramor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I never understood geography as well... who cares about what that cloud's name is, we're gonna get rain anyway, whether you call it omnibusculository or columbianitis... or something.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Gone Retro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me about I hate geography it's not even about population or location anymore I'm a 1 student in Geography and I couldn't tell you where Libya is.
cfos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"... but this image pissed me off and a few other people. I makes no sense at all. Please share your comments."

Granted, the figure was obviously created by someone who lusts about geography, but it is not a bad depiction of how "geography" can be found in many aspects of life (if you look for it).

Simply put, the majority of wars are based over geography. If you are lucky and have more than one job offer (all things equal) you pick it based on geography. You (eventually) purchase your home based on geography (and may relocate if you decide to have kids and want to be in a specific school district). Your friends are often based on geography -- my guess (though I may be wrong) is that the students (you mention) you also sat next to -- thought the same thing (geography?). Being that it is election day, there is a great deal of geography involved in politics -- just listen to the campaigning. You pick your vacations based on geography. So it goes.

Sadly, I think your modified figure represents what Americans (in general) think about geography and what students think about education.

*L* Here, since I have time while procrastinating, let me reply for you:

"I was only kidding. Why did you take this so seriously?"

My reply:
No, you (probably) weren't kidding. Sometimes I sit in lectures just to observe students and this is definately how y'all talk. It must be nice to know everything. As someone who teaches, you should know we talk about students and their poor attempts at answers/reports/essays just as much as you talk about us and our figures. My favorite student/idiot answer to a test question (in a "law" class) was "youthinasia". Can you guess the question? *LOL*

If you really do want to know what that figure means, sit back, turn off the computer and think of how you can get through a single day without geography playing a part in your day.
Robot Chicken Koko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geography definitely exists, but there's more to the story other than this circle of *geography* life pissing me off. For starters, I am doing a project on Malaysia that highlights five things about it: 1) Geo-Economic 2) Geo-Demographic, 3) Geo-Political, 4) Geo-Social-Cultural, 5) Global Connectedness (in the context of geography). For all of these things, we look at data that comes from other scientific fields such as Sociology and Economics (and even Biology!). And that is my problem with this circle of life, everything does not have to do with Geography.

@ Cfos: I'll try your thing you suggested (applying it to my normal day, not a day I can make up) and report back. I'll also take the time to make you think otherwise about higher education in the US.

Try this: bash your desk with your head and fists. . . That is how geography makes me feel.
cfos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koko: Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm sure the teacher may be at fault for the presentation of this slide or their "style" (i.e., I would not spend more than 1 min on that figure. I would put it up on the first day of class, put it on an overhead and be done with it, an move on.).

"For starters, I am doing a project on Malaysia that highlights five things about it: 1) Geo-Economic 2) Geo-Demographic, 3) Geo-Political, 4) Geo-Social-Cultural, 5) Global Connectedness (in the context of geography)."

"@ Cfos: I'll try your thing you suggested (applying it to my normal day, not a day I can make up) and report back."

You should do this, seriously -- think about how often you may try to sit next to the "hot" chick in class; how you pick dorm/housing location; how much you are willing to pay for front row tickets at a concert; avoiding the "crappy" neighborhoods/bars late at night; where you sit in the fast-food/restuarant; properly spacing yourself from the other men while pissing in the urinal (unless you have the piss-trough you'd find at "townie" bars); you get the idea.

Sadly, this may be only the start of having to do things you don't want to -- employment will change that. So, rather than treat this like any other stupid assignment, treat it as learning a skill and applying it to the task at hand. Many high-school and college courses are geared to provide skills rather than pointless facts that can be tested [excluding colleges'/universities' distribution/diversity/international requirements where you are "expected" to "improve" yourself (and make the school look better by touting what their graduates attain)].

Look at the medical school requirements: You don't use physics (except, maybe in a specialty) in the practice of medicine. What you do use are the skills acquired by taking a number of (difficult) classes in broad areas (at the same time) that demonstrate the capacity to learn & perform under pressure. The material isn't as important as the ability to apply yourself. Looking at the above post from you, my guess is that the teacher may be trying to instill that in you via the assignment. Or maybe they are just an idiot.

"I'll also take the time to make you think otherwise about higher education in the US.

Try this: bash your desk with your head and fists. . . That is how geography makes me feel."

*LOL* Son, you don't know the half of it...

Let me give you a taste of academic research: A collegue once had to reply to an IACUC question asking why humans couldn't be used in the proposed study. The proposed study involved injecting a toxic dose of drug followed by rapid decapitation and removal and processing of brain tissue. I'm also (randomly? or did I piss someone off...) assigned to committees like re-accreditation of the college where we sit around a room trying to figure out the most difficult and tedious way to accomplish a task producing a tome that no one will read. My job is probably no worse than anyone elses except that the walls are too thin for me to bang my fists on a desk. Having lived in Texas, I have to say that my catharsis is target shooting. Much more relaxing (and easier on the fists).
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That slide is more or less bullshit. Knowledge doesn't revolve around geography. Georgraphy is broad field of knowledge, and although it does interconnect and blur with other fields constantly, it isn't the absolute center as that sldie implies.

Whoever made that really needs to shed off a fair bit of ego. Your teacher too. Whoever thinks that what they know is the most important thing to know, and that everyhting revolves around that, needs to take a heavy dose of reality.

And if you find school to be frustrating and difficult, perhaps you should expand your sources of knowledge. Ask your parents, look up wikipedia or somthing, checko ut a book in the library. Seriously, the angle at which you approach learning can make all the difference, I should know. I've said it many times before, but I attend a school that encourages a 'study at your own pace' approach, and my marks, and the material that I've learned, have never been better. When I was freed from the classroom, I had the chance to explore. Hell, I was learning so much I overstepped the ciriculum.

Basically it's all about initiative. It's alot better if you take charge and direction to your education instead of waiting for old nannies, who might actually be pretty stupid (the only physics teacher I have had a degree in Phys-ed ffs, and I hear that it's a common problem, at least 'round these parts) You'll not only be able to learn your subjects easier, but you many learn more about yourself as well, and alot more besides.

Last edited by Simon_Says on Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ipsa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda like geography... But I guess my interest is more historical-cultural. One can make a fairly strong argument that geography shapes and influences a vast majority of pretty much anything. It may be less true today than it was 2,000 years ago, but a people and their way of life was heavily influenced by where they lived. For example, the ancient Greeks never truly unified because the Balkans are rather mountainous, which led to a good deal of Greek cities being on the coast or some sort of waterway and also resulted in making it somewhat difficult for anyone of any polis to go to another polis. Influences on culture, language--three major ancient Greek dialects--, and politics. Sadly, we only really have good sources for Athens and less good ones for Sparta so there isn't a lot known on the other poleis. If you live in the steppes of Eurasia (is that still a valid term?) you might have a nomadic lifestyle and rely on stationary cities for necessities that don't come from flocks or horses, maybe establishing some sort of trade routes or systems, which thereby influences economic factors.

But this is all very boring drivel and probably not helpful or in any way insightful so I'm gonna go back to whatever it is I do.
cfos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"That slide is more or less bullshit. Knowledge doesn't revolve around geography. Georgraphy is broad field of knowledge, and although it does interconnect and blur with other fields constantly, it isn't the absolute center as that sldie implies. "

Ah.. the wisdom of a teen. Sometimes, I wish I were a teen again -- back when I knew everything and everyone else knew nothing *L* Here's a thought: Maybe the slide starts with Geography at the center and radiating out are the fields it interconnects with...? Would you rather the teacher start with the Nerst equation?

"Whoever made that really needs to shed off a fair bit of ego. Your teacher too. Whoever thinks that what they know is the most important thing to know, and that everyhting revolves around that, needs to take a heavy dose of reality. "

Likewise, whoever made this post and connected the words beneath it:

"Seriously, the angle at which you approach learning can make all the difference, I should know. I've said it many times before, but I attend a school that encourages a 'study at your own pace' approach, and my marks, and the material that I've learned, have never been better. When I was freed from the classroom, I had the chance to explore. Hell, I was learning so much I overstepped the ciriculum. "

needs to take a bit o their own perscription: If you took the time to read and interpret the slide, you would have realized that it was from a Geography class, not chemistry or any other class. Why not start with Geography being the center? I think Ipsa summed it up best.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you're absolutely right...

... I wish I could shrug off the feeling of intense hatred because I was proven wrong...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-did you just get verbally owned???

PARADOX???

Married to SpideyGirl.
cfos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Yep, you're absolutely right...

... I wish I could shrug off the feeling of intense hatred because I was proven wrong..."

Awwww... they teach you sarcasm. Speaking of which, it is very funny that you didn't even realize that you spoke out about the importance of geography in the selection of your education. Apparently, your parents found themselves in an education-poor school district, hence your post:

"Basically it's all about initiative. It's alot better if you take charge and direction to your education instead of waiting for old nannies, who might actually be pretty stupid (the only physics teacher I have had a degree in Phys-ed ffs, and I hear that it's a common problem, at least 'round these parts) You'll not only be able to learn your subjects easier, but you many learn more about yourself as well, and alot more besides."

Ah geography! The sweet, sweet center of life *L*
Robot Chicken Koko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registration for classes is in four minutes, so I'm ready to pound my keyboard with blazing fingers to register for my classes as quickly as possible before they all evaporate. And I DEFINITELY won't be registering for no Geography class.
Robot Chicken Koko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfos, that's what doctors call: ego maximus. Being young doesn't mean being stupid, and having a degree doesn't make you right about everything either. See there, I can sound smart too! (. . . I hope I'm not being harsh or something, I'm just typing on the fly).
But geography isn't sitting next to the hot girl in class, that's letting her know you're interested, or if you're weird, to smell her perfume or something. Geography isn't weighing closeness to the stage against how much you're willing to dish out, that's just a decision ppl make. Geography should just be knowing where things are, like pointing out where the Great Wall of China is. Since when did soil or climate have anything to do with it? It's best not to let this mental masturbation (which is the best way to describe geography in my opinion) get to me, because I'm more interested in passing than most anything else at college.

So what about professors vs. students? Professors shouldn't ridicule a student's attempt at answering something because if they do a poor job, it's not the student's fault, it's the professor's fault (unless the student hasn't been doing his/her work). And when student's talk about procrastination and stuff, it's not because they take pride in it. No one takes pride in being a bad student, but they try not to let it get to them by joking about it and making everything one big joke. So in a way, it's dealing with stress and failure that makes students seem so at ease, carefree, or nonchalant about the most important years of their life.

I'm not very satisfied with this post. I know I hate Geography, but I think it's my professors fault. I would probably like this material with another professor.
Ipsa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koko wrote:
Geography should just be knowing where things are, like pointing out where the Great Wall of China is. Since when did soil or climate have anything to do with it?

Because that's part of geography, and as far as I can remember (which probably isn't very far) it's always been a part of geography. Geography encompasses writing or learning about a region/place (or the earth, if you will) and everything that makes up that region, which includes the landscape, plants, type of soil, landmarks, weather, creatures, etc. How it all interacts.

I'm bored now. Someone post an amusing picture. Razz
cfos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koko: Hey, call it whatever you want -- displaying an interest in someone requires a quick bit of geography in order to put you in a situation where you can allow/attempt(?) to make something happen. If you don't like that example, think about parking your car (if you have one) somewhere -- do you do a bit of geography to find a good spot? Maybe not, if the car is crap. As for the concert example, yeah, cost factors in, but cost is based on proximity and line of sight which does have to do with... geography. Or just listen to what Ipsa posted.

As for soil and climate, I'm no expert in geography, but it is a concern for... oh I don't know farming? You eat vegtables once in a while, right? Farmers need to know geography. Likewise, civil engineering requires geography. For you or anyone else, geography can take on whatever you want to put into it -- and I'm no advocate for having to say to yourself I'm using "geography" each time you do something.

You are also right about the the professor's view of students. What you didn't say is that students really should make an attempt at the assignment rather than just throw crap together. The example I gave was from a slacker/athlete who was going to major in management and then go work for daddy's company -- not someone trying.

I have to admit you are being far too idealistic to make a comment:

"And when student's talk about procrastination and stuff, it's not because they take pride in it. No one takes pride in being a bad student, but they try not to let it get to them by joking about it and making everything one big joke. So in a way, it's dealing with stress and failure that makes students seem so at ease, carefree, or nonchalant about the most important years of their life."

What was it you said... "(. . . I hope I'm not being harsh or something, I'm just typing on the fly)" but, it will be a sad, sad life if the college years are the most important.

A good education may get you the interview, but you still have to put in the work to get/keep the job. Of course, should you decide to get married, have kids... or maybe just go a year without having to get a single dollar from mommy and daddy for financial support (while paying for everything that year, including medical insurance and filing for taxes...)... priorities change. Just give it 10 years.

As for my opinion/post: It isn't a matter of being "right". It is a matter of seeing things from a different perspective and trying to understand where that perspective comes from. I never took geography, nor have I ever taught it. But, I can see the purpose of the slide you (and friends) seemingly fail to grasp. The reason? I don't know you (or your professor), but you did say:

"Professors shouldn't ridicule a student's attempt at answering something because if they do a poor job, it's not the student's fault, it's the professor's fault (unless the student hasn't been doing his/her work)."

From what I can tell from a forum post, I don't think you were doing your work. My experience (in teaching) would tell me that you were probably chatting/texting with your friends, looking out the window or thinking about what you had to do for the rest of the day, rather than asking direct questions about the lecture that someone paid for you to attend. I know, socially, it isn't in your best interest to ask questions -- other students usually look at you funny. Of course, I make that generalization because you wrote that you posed the question to yourself -- but... if you knew everything you wouldn't be taking classes, would you?
Azrael

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I have been enlightened.

Married to SpideyGirl.
Tyris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geography literally means world-writing, or as I once heard it put "the science of describing the world". That's a broad field...

cfos wrote:
think about parking your car (if you have one) somewhere -- do you do a bit of geography to find a good spot? Maybe not, if the car is crap.
I'm confused... exactly what the hell is that supposed to mean?

Last edited by Tyris on Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
cfos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm confused... exactly what the hell is that supposed to mean?"

Uh... it's quite simple really. When you go to park your car, what do you consider:

1. Do you choose a spot randomly?
2. Do you try to park close to the entrance (what about when it rains/snows)?
3. Do you respect the Handicap spot?
4. Do you park your car next to a car that parks badly (right on the line -- leaving them little choice but to hit your car when they open their door)?
5. Do you try to park under a tree during a sunny day in the summer or let your car bake in a random spot?
6. Do you try to avoid a spot that has broken glass littered about?

These are just a few examples of where you use some geography without even thinking about it. Of course, if your car is piece of crap, you may just park randomly and not care about any of the above issues. Claro?
Tyris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have done better to leave the part about whether or not the car is crap out of it; it has no bearing on the issue and slants the question in a new direction, thus rendering it meaningless.
Also, that stuff would either be considered micro-geography (a word I just made up, by the way) or simply "positioning." My bedroom doesn't have geography within, and neither does a car park unless it's a mile wide.
cfos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the part about the "crap car" could have been left out, but having been the owner of a "crap car" in years past, I really didn't care about what would happen to it; I'd park in the first available spot without a second thought. Having a crap car may render using geography in the sample question as meaningless, which is why it was in the sentence in the first place -- a qualifying statement. Try buying a Porsche (new, not a used 914 or some rally car) or any other expensive car --to your economic bracket, and go into a parking lot and see how your attitude changes and how much you start using geography or "positioning".

Feel free to make up any words you want to describe, or refine a simple concept, but unless your bed (and furniture?) is (are) randomly placed --you know, maybe in the doorway or blocking the closet... there was some geography or "positioning" involved, right? Although... wouldn't adding "positioning" further complicate the figure about Geography upon which this thread is based?
Tyris

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it would. Complicated figures are your friend. But my point is that Geography has to have some kind of a macroscopic scale. That's why it's Geo.
cfos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, true. It all depends on how "macro" you want to be. My take is that geography can be gobal, local, or even micro dependent upon what constitutes the "system" that is being explored. I admit that the parking lot wasn't the best example, but I was only trying to make a point using a closed system where geography, in a broad sense, impacts the life we live in ways you may not necessarily think about.

As I said, I'm not a geography teacher nor have have I ever taken a specialized course in that area. Rather, I can appreciate what was being stated by the slide -- and the examples I provided are probably what the author of the slide could use in explaining the impact of geography. As a teacher/professor one task you always have when lecturing: Get your students to think.
wrincewind

Location: in a cave, deep, deep under the city, waiting for the next post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the hell is "pedology"?
it sounds like something abe would try.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Munan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All knowledge is worth its while.

koko wrote:
because I'm more interested in passing than most anything else at college.

Seriously, if that is true, you should not be in college. Your goal should be to gather knowledge and your attitude should be to enjoy knowledge for knowledge's sake. If I heard one of my students say that, I would make two things my personal goal:

1. Change his or her attitude through trying even harder to be a good teacher
2. As long as he or she don't change, make his or her academic career as painful and difficult as possible, voting against his or her admittance to courses, giving him or her a turn in class everytime I get the chance, giving them oral exams that the Spanish inquisition would be jealous of etc. etc. etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> General B.S. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: