Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Showtime baby
    page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

live, thread, live!!!

Oct 15, Gdansk, Poland

Who? KULT
What was it all about, then? arguably, no, actually inarguably the biggest Polish band of last 20 years. started with punk, went thru many phases, gathered a massive fanbase of varying age and musical taste. they are the band that quite literally links generations. since the very beginning the driving force has been the singer Kazik - one of the most, if not the most interesting, original, unpredictable, alternative - you name it - figures in our tiny Polish musical ground. mixing poetry with kitsch, socio-political criticism with introspection, and rock with everything else, the guy's impact on our musical scene cannot be overstated.
Memorable moment? when me & my GF, tired of the crowd, retreated and had a most cute dance by a bleak wall.
Any good? the performance was as good as always - it was my sixth KULT gig, so i know what i'm saying. however, the venue was awfully uncomfortable (a hall in a former shipyard - actually the famous shipyard where the labour strikes started in 1980), everything was badly organised, and the sound was less than satisfactory (is this some curse?). so the general impression was a bit disappointing.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me that defib stat!

Charge...

*Ping*

CLEAR!

*ZAP!*

She's breathing! We saved her!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[sexynurse]oh, you are so brave, dr Simon. i think i want to have your baby.[/sexynurse]
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, that is just getting scary now. Seriously, stop it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stop what? having fun?
you cannot possibly ask me this.
Robot Chicken Koko

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Doctor Simon, I think one of my breasts is dying. Please give it some CPR*
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal Paradise wrote:
stop what? having fun?
you cannot possibly ask me this.

Well what would your reaction be when a mid-30s hairy cowboy says with a falsetto voice that they want your babies?
It's even worse when it involves a great ape.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i didn't invite the gorilla, he invited himself.

but i get your point about poncho-clad cowboys wanting to play dingle-dangle-dingle with yous. even if it's Clint, there gotta be some limits.

anyways, been to live concerts lately?
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No...

But I have been to a Deep Purple and Santana convert in the past couple years...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munan wrote:
I can't wait till Digitaaliklosetti starts to review obscure Finnish ska-punk bands...

I'd love to, but there aren't any. I'm serious. The "ska scene" around here is more or less nonexistant. The few people who know and dig the music have to get our fix on purely foreign material. Or maybe I'm just not rude enough to be told about the super secret scene. I don't know.

Punk and punks exist, but that just isn't for me. It's either clueless little twerps who couldn't give two shits about the music, merely looking for a new way to desperately rebel, or the Seen Everything/Done Everything oldschool assholes who haven't realized the 70's are over. I swear, every time I even mention punk, they start giving these hour-and-a-half lectures about how everything I listen to is pure shit(without so much as asking what I listen to) and giving me the verbal beatdown because I don't know about some super-obscure band, from twenty years ago, with a single album. YES I'M REAL SORRY I'M NOT THIRTY JUST SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP.

Mind you, I'll be making this thread my special little lovetoy once I start getting enough cash to hit the shows.
Sal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

egocentric narcissistic asshole? maybe.

Who? Sal, i mean me, under my real name. [one more from a different angle]
What was it all about, then? just me as your regular wannabe dylanesque solo-artist persona, playing acoustic guitar and singing a bunch of classics as well as a handful of my own songs. my third gig overall, second at this venue.
Memorable moment? one of my university friends put his hat in front of me as a goof. but my other friend (this time from high school times) grabbed the hat and walked all around the place with it, collecting quite a sum of money for me. memorable primarily for the comical value of the moment, but the money itself was also very nice. [yes, there were mostly my friends and friends' friends in the audience, i'm not much of a household name on the Baltic coast yet. yet.]
Any good? i sure hope so. the audience seemed satisfied enough, especially when i played such evergreens as lou reed's white light/white heat, dylan's one more cup of coffee, or the immortal faith by the equally immortal george michael (yes, i did. and people loved it.) i admit the first half of the show was kinda dull (my bad - i still learn how to prepare a good setlist), but after the break it got much more interesting. anyway, the pub's manager still wants me to play there again, so i couldn't have been totally hopeless.

good god, i'm such a solo artist.
Munan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Showtime baby Reply with quote

It's alive! Alive, I tell you!

Who? Live From Buena Vista, with three members of the famous Buena Vista Social Club
What was it all about, then? A steaming Cuban lounge party, with very old cuban all stars playing together with very young upstarts.
Memorable moment? The seventy something female singer from Afro Cuban All Stars fame, who was something of a diva, with her glittering suit and gravity-defying hairdo, getting of the stage and dancing with all the handsome young men she could lay hands on - yes, too bad Crotchfire wasn't there - he would have made it to her hotel room, I think.
Any good?Brilliant, in the moody, wet winter of Holland, being quite depressed at the moment, it was exactly the party I needed.
Munan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday, march 3, Ahoy Music Hall in Rotterdam.

Who? Mchael Jackson, Justin Timberlake or Robbie Williams might be (according to whom you speak) the king, Tarkan is the real Sultan of Pop.
What was it all about, then? A very slick pop and rock show by Turkey's finest singer, who also happens to be ridiculously handsome and a stunningly good dancer. Also bellydancer.
Memorable moment? For the screaming teenage girls around me, that must have been the moment that Tarkan's erect nipples started to show through his sweat soaked white shirt. For me, it was the moment a disco medley moved into his brilliant rave classic Bu Guce, which he brought with passion and fire.
Any good? A very nice show with no suprises, but also no disappointments. He played all his hits, his band was a well oiled music machine, his smile was dazzling, his moves were immaculate. And oh my god - how can a mortal man be so handsome?
Robot Chicken Koko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's tough, some people think I'm immortal. Smile
Munan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're Tarkan?
Aurelyn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munan wrote:
And oh my god - how can a mortal man be so handsome

I just googled for pictures of him - you're not wrong... Not beautiful, or good-looking, but...handsome...

Master Chainsaw wrote:
Aurelyn becomes enraged by imbecilic displays of illiteracy, as is his wont.

Simon_Says wrote:
Sal would know. He stole many jobs from guys named Shaun.
Munan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, come on! We're talking beautiful, good looking and handsome!

And here, even my girlfriend agrees with me.

Also, here's a short videoclip of the very concert I was on saturday - there's a bit of talking in the beginning, but a concert registration of the music starts at 1:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUgTBXXjMb0
Robot Chicken Koko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I either, if I could, would put Munan's avatar head on one of the screaming girls, the idiot with the New York Yankees Cap, or Tarkan himself. Like how Simon put the head on the Viking Drummer. But I can't.

@ Munan: No. Don't you wish?
Munan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it would be a bit of a disappointment, really.
Lunabella

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know, I can't really make out the head of the guy banging the drum :/
Bloo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His head is edited. The new head is Munan's old avatar's head.
Lunabella

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooooh!

That's why!

It's kinda like the one I made like an eternety ago

Bloo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha... weird. I'd post my own, but I can never recall a time when I've been to live music. Ever.
Sal

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who?me & my band ("the chicks don't even know the name of my band...")
What was it all about, then?after a year and a half of frustration-laden rehearsals we suddenly got on a real stage in a real concert venue and played a show consisting of hard rock evergreens plus 3 of our own songs (in fact all 3 of our own songs)
Memorable moment?i hope for the audience the memorable moments were some of the better performances, like The White Stripes' "Seven Nation Army" (i think we pulled that one off quite well); my memorable moments are unfortunately the outragous mistakes, like the bass player's bass strap unfastening in the middle of a song, the drummer finishing a song 2 measures too early and stuff. amazingly i forgot the lyrics only once, during Cream's "Sunshine of your Love" but went along with it so that no one even noticed. i'm starting to think i might be becoming semi-proficient in performing live.
ok, i admit i found my stomach hurt when we started off, i had difficulty singing real loud, so stagefright's still a problem for me, but after a few minutes it just let go and from then on i sang surprisingly relaxed through the rest of the show.
Any good?well, audience seemed to like us a lot, especially after a really tiring punk band that played before us. but i'm too much of a perfectionist to just ignore the poor parts and look on the bright side. we got a shitload of work to do if we wanna get any good any soon.

if anyone's interested here's 2 nice pics from the event:
blurry but asskickin'
and the hawtness incarnate - eddie vedder eat your heart out!
Sal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Showtime baby Reply with quote

alright, i know you're waiting for it. if you aren't, well, eat shit.

Who? Pearl Jam and...<drum roll> Linkin Park!
What was it all about, then? an hour-and-a-quarter LP supporting the hour-and-a-half PJ. that's hardly the right proportion if you ask me.
Memorable moment? LP: when Chester Something, took off his oldschool leather jacket and exposed his sissy chest and skinny little arms in full glory.
PJ: well, the usual - Ed jumping around, tripping over speakers, forgetting his own lyrics (in the show-closing Indifference he forgot the entire 1st verse). i must also add that i take back what i said about the ever-surprising setlist changes on PJ shows as they played a lot of the stuff i heard in Prague, but maybe that's just my luck (NOT). as for the actual performances, the highlight was definitely Black - pretty fucking amazing.
Any good? i don't want to be hating on Linkin Park but it really sounded like they were playing the same song all over again. anyway, they played all their hit singles of course, including Digit's song, and the LP fans were enthusiastic so i guess they put on a good show. meh.
Pearl Jam, however, could have been brilliant, could have topped the Prague show by wide margin. it was heading for something unbelievable, with the choice of the songs, wild audience participation, Ed's splendid vocal form and his unique showmanship. and then it was over, because apparently the regulations said the concert had to end at 11pm. wtf, is my usual reaction to crap like this. and then there comes the question - if they knew they had to finish that early, why the holy fuck did they bring Linkin Park with them? clearly they left off in the middle of things, there were still a lot of staple tunes left to play (Evolution, Alive, Yellow Ledbetter - stuff they always play toward the end of a show.
needless to say, the moods weren't exactly flying after such a turn of events.
well, my baby's still in love with Eddie Vedder, even though he screwed this one up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: