Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Best Batman
    page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inkmonkey

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know, I often thought that 1984 would have been vastly improved with the use of Kung Fu, and wouldn't you know it, I was right!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it on DVD once I knew they had it in store Razz

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
RobinHood3000

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vastly preferred Michael Keaton, just because he's so good at Batman's expressions, and you can buy him as either the charismatic Bruce Wayne or the enigmatic Batman.

While we're on the topic of Batman films, I like the first movie in general because it was the best overall with regards to acting and writing (and properly capturing the essence of that which is Gotham City), the second one for the Batman-Catwoman repartee, and the original Batmobile because it's just so darn cool and doesn't look like something one sees in a low-budget angst/disco version of Fantasia (as per the Batman and Robin Batmobile)

...cliiiiiiiiiick...
Wize

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not to be the conspiracy theorist or anything but I heard that the reason why Equilibrium didn't get as much press is b/c gov't pulled it b/c of it's 1984-type content.
Blaster

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, that doesn't make you sound like a conspiracy theorist... Smile
Aramor

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh ooh, conspiracy theorists, my kind of people. So, seeing as I wasn't really to my full senses during that time, what exactly do you mean with the 1984-type content?

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Bounty

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keaton in the first batman movie. Classic Batman vs Joker moments. The car looked cool, it caught every detail of Gotham, and wasa just a good movie.
I am SO going to Hell...
Wize

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor wrote:
Ooh ooh, conspiracy theorists, my kind of people. So, seeing as I wasn't really to my full senses during that time, what exactly do you mean with the 1984-type content?

Well essentially the character "Big Brother" was replaced by "Father" in the movie, and the concept was that the gov't was supressing everyone's emotions to make the perfect worker bee enviornment. Christian Bale plays what's known as a Gramaton Cleric which was equal to say the secret police who would go after people who weren't using their emotion supressing drugs and were doing art and reading poetry and thinking outside the box. Now, and not to jump to a political debate, but does anyone see any similarities here?!?!?!
Aramor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently reading the book and you're right, very similar to Equilibrium. I saw that movie like 3 or 4 times.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Blaster

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gun kata! Cool
QueenofEville

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised there's not more recent posts since Batman Begins is out. Smile

Seeing Equillibrium was what convinced me that Bale could be Batman. Too bad Nolan (the director) decided to shoot the fight scenes in that new popular "shake the camera til the audience pukes" fashion that's become so popular. That was my only real complaint about the movie.

Bale is the best thing to happen to Batman since Kevin Conroy took on the voice in the animated series. Finally the Batman that I love from the comics has shown up on the big screen. Keaton/Burton's vision was close, but still never quite captured it for me. Keaton's Bruce Wayne was too serious. Kilmer and Clooney just sucked. But I don't blame it entirely on them. Damn you Joel Schumacher for nearly killing the Batman franchise single-handedly. The villains in his movies (3 & 4) sucked. Mr. Freeze is not some steroid using madman. Riddler is not some neon orange haired freak. Two-Face...well, he was all right, but still way too over the top. Same with Poison Ivy. And Bane...wow, they just turned him into a joke. I'm supposed to believe he was the guy who in the comics nearly killed Batman? I don't think so.

Sure, Burton took some liberties with the bat mythos (having Jack Napier / Joker kill Bruce's parents being the biggest. Thankfully, Batman Begins got it right). But no one did more damage than Joel Schumacher. Nipples on the Batsuits???!!!??? Barbara Gordon is Alfred's neice???!!!??? What the fuck???!!!???

In any case, I thank whatever powers that be that Bale and Nolan got together and made Batman Begins. Finally, The Bat has the big screen presence that his comic fans have been wishing, hoping and dreaming of for decades.

As for small screen presence...blasphemers, all of you, who claim that Adam West's Batman was the best. Certainly, I have a soft spot in my heart having grown up watching reruns of that show. But that was NOT Batman. Give me the Animated Series any day.

And, to whoever it was earlier on the boards asking about the Batman Animated on DVD...they're up to Volume 3 now. Amazon.com has deals, if I recall, if you buy all of them together. I know they had a deal if you bought Vol 1, 2 and Superman Animated vol 1. So I'm guessing there's a new savings now that vol 3 is out. I just wish they'd release entire seasons of Justice League Animated instead of just a few episodes here and there. Then I could complete my collection.
RobinHood3000

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Batman and Robin was downright awful. They turned Gotham City into a disco world, the Batmobile into a light-up toy, and the two main superheroes into Chippendale rejects with the hots for Uma Thurman.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the premise of the original live-action series with West and Ward to be deliberately cartoonish and ridiculous? To say that Adam West was the best Batman is to say that the makers of the show completely and utterly failed at what they set out to do.

I didn't think Keaton's Batman was OVERLY serious. He had a lot of solid one-liners and humorous deadpans throughout the two films, and Batman doesn't strike me as having a particularly healthy sense of humor, anyway.

Oh, and another reason the original Burton film is my favorite, summed up in two words: "Danny...Elfman..."

...cliiiiiiiiiick...
Aramor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once saw a cartoon that had Batman and Superman in it. It had something to do with Lex Luthor stealing a jade dragon thingy in Gotham City, which turned out to be made of Kryptonite. Only saw the first 5 minutes or something.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Inkmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I think it was called "World's Finest," or something along those lines. The Joker shows up later and Harley Quinn wrestles with Luthor's head security babe.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor wrote:
I once saw a cartoon that had Batman and Superman in it. It had something to do with Lex Luthor stealing a jade dragon thingy in Gotham City, which turned out to be made of Kryptonite. Only saw the first 5 minutes or something.

It's simply called "The Batman Superman Movie". Probably available for rent in the kids section of your local video store. Pretty sure it's on DVD now too (I, alas, only have the video).

Basically, Lex Luthor and The Joker team up against Batman and Superman. Fantastic fight scene between Harly Quinn and Mercy (Lex's bodyguard). Great plot overall too. Really fun. Their first official animated team-up.

There's a couple of other really good cross-over episodes later in the series, like when Superman has to pose at Batman for a while when Bruce Wayne goes missing (Tim Drake as Robin, so a late one in the series).
Blaster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinitra's comments are right on; Bale is Batman.
However, I disagree with her assessment of the nipples on the Batsuit. They prolly shoulda put a schlong on there too. Laughing
Aramor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A face full of bat wing-wong!

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
RobinHood3000

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sick-minded costume designer starts brainstorming and thinks, "Hmm...you know, I bet Bruce Wayne's first priority is to have very comfortable nipples in the midst of fighting crime"??

...cliiiiiiiiiick...
QueenofEville

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobinHood3000 wrote:
What sick-minded costume designer starts brainstorming and thinks, "Hmm...you know, I bet Bruce Wayne's first priority is to have very comfortable nipples in the midst of fighting crime"??

lol

His name is Joel Schumacher. Granted, he's not the costume designer, but from what I understand, he's the one responsible for the nipples.

There's a GREAT episode of the cartoon show, The New Batman Adventures (the 2 seasons that had Tim Drake as Robin and Dick was Nightwing)... "Legends of the Dark Knight" (season 2, episode 19)... where a bunch of kids get together and tell stories of what they think Batman is really like. Dark Knight Returns is basically one of the tales. But at one point, the kids make fun of this other kid named Joel, about his ideas of Batman. A fairly blatant poke at Schumacher's "vision". I was trying to track down the exact dialog, but can't find it. Sad
Hivequeen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I'm gonna say Michael Keaton as well. The first two movies were by far the best. I didn't even bother seeing anything after the third one. How many are there now? Is it 4? 5? 27 and a half?

Of course, I'm a major league Christian Bale fan so there's no telling if I'll change my verdict once I see the new movie. I sorta doubt it though. Keaton was there when I was a kiddo, so he'll always be Batman to me.
The Huge Wing Wong

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian Bale really is Batman.He's like born to Play Batman.But i liked him better in Equilibrium and American Psycho

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Bale over the others too.

I've not really seen him in anything else besides bits and peices of "Memento" (another Nolan helmed flick). I know Nolan is a good director. He did "Insomnia" with Al Pacino and Robin Williams. That movie is awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ash_wednesday

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best Batman is from Batman (1989) and Batman Returns. Micheal Ketion did Batman to a "T"

"Bite my 50% miss chance."

--Order of the Stick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bounty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although Batman Begins was good, I didn't like Christian Bale as batman. Good actor sure but... too many funny faces Rolling Eyes
I am SO going to Hell...
Metal_Pred

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who doesnt like the new batmobile?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: