Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Horror movies?
    page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bernieh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Horror movies? Reply with quote

Is anyone else looking forward to Saw, the horror flick by rookie director James Wan opening this Friday? I'm a horror buff, but no horror movie has ever really scared me (since Poltergeist when I was like 7). I've boiled down my problem to the following (regarding horror movies only): 1) I don't have the patience for "slow-building suspense", 2) I don't feel like I should have to use my imagination to fill in what the director won't show me, and 3) I know that I, as the viewer, will survive the movie. A lot of the so-called best horror movies of all time rely heavily on #1 and #2, so I didn't like them. Maybe I'm an idiot, fine, but I'm just telling you what I'd rather see, in the absence of a solution to #3.

I wanna be shown scary shit for 2 hours straight. Like the girl in Elm St. getting dragged up the wall and onto the ceiling, and the Exorcist spider-walk, and the crazy Japanese bitch at the end of Audition... non-stop. A "roller-coaster" horror movie should be just that - a short bit of spine-tingling ascent, and then just screaming and absurdity for the rest of the way. A roller coaster is not 80% slow climb, spent wondering when the ride starts.

So anyway, I hear "Saw" isn't afraid to show you scary shit. Anyone have any other suggestions for me?

-B

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dog soldiers.

Werewolves, violence, swearing, and a complete lack of brains (except the ones coating the walls).
Stu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you missed a key point, Bern. Ever since Wes Craven came out with the "Scream" series, horror movies have trended to the campy humor (and this is because the late 1980s horror movies were horrible in the box office as well as just horrible movies). I mean, with "I Know What You Did...", "Shaun of the Dead", "Scary Movie" (which isn't really horror), and even the last "Halloween" movies, the emphasis is on humor about as much as horror. "Blair Witch" left us wondering what the heck happened when we left, not terrified. So there hasn't been a true horror movie in a long, long time (I did not see "28 Days Later", so I can't tell you how scary that was or even if it fits under the horror movie category).

Also, you're now in your 30s. Horror movies don't have the same effect now as they did when you were younger. "The Wizard of Oz" scared me when I saw it the first time. The only horror stuff that will scare you shitless nowadays is real life.
Dean

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw does look scary. They're sending dismembered body parts to the press? Yipes.

The Grudge looks legit scary too. Stuart?
bernieh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't miss a point - 1) no movie, EVER, has really scared me, and 2) there're still plenty of straight horror flicks being made without the camp (gothika, stir of echoes, ghost ship), and they all suck. So trend or no trend, they've NEVER made horror movies the way I want 'em made. Unless I haven't seen the right ones.

I did see 28 Days Later and it was cool. Also looking forward to the Dawn of the Dead remake on DVD, and of course, Shaun, though I know they won't be scary.

I'm not asking, "why aren't I scared" - I'm just hoping to hear of a different kind of scary movie that I haven't seen.

And I'm NOT "IN MY 30s". I'm 30. There's a difference.

I hope. Ok, that was depressing.
noah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: scaring kids Reply with quote

I got a good story about scared kids: my father took me to see "Wolfen" when I was 8, because -- missing the trailers and reviews -- he thought it was some interesting story about wolves. See, he was the kind of guy who liked to pick out and go to a movie on the spot -- it made sense to him from the marquee (somehow, maybe it sounded the same as some Disney production he'd heard about), so why not?

If only he'd looked at the poster instead... I still joke about it with him to this day, but geez, I had nightmares for months after seeing just that little bit... Smile
Nostromo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Horror Films Reply with quote

American movies hmmm?

Tough nut to crack because they all seem to pull back and prevent seriously delivering the goods.

Try one of these:
PRINCE OF DARNESS (seriously disturbed and creepy altogether)
ROSEMARY'S BABY(although not scary, this is a Roman Polanski classic!)
BASKET CASE (This won't scare you death but it will disturb you to death)
JUN-ON (Not the American version, the Japanese version)
KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE (The title alone is scary enough, if you hate clowns even better)
Stu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Dean, despite Buffy (TV version) as the lead and the one shower scene in the commercials, I did not see The Grudge.

Killer Klowns is very, very campy. More humorous than scary. Of course, if you do fear clowns... then it may scare you. But I think Nostromo hit a good point... nowadays it's an attempt to outsmart the audience and not go in for the kill (you think Spielberg will ever make something like Jaws again? No). You'll need an unproven director (like in Saw) or something non-American like 28 Days Later to see a truly scary movie.
Dean

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to someone just now who said The Grudge is the scariest movie he ever saw, and he can't sleep at night after having seen it. He ranked The Ring and the original Night of the Living Dead just below it.
bernieh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I'd check out the Grudge, but I hear it's another "atmospheric" movie like the Ring. Creepy sure, but not fuck me scary.

I do fear clowns.
Stu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a world where Boston is the defending World Series champion will scare a lot of people (as Trot Nixon just hit a double for a 3-0 lead in game 4).
mentallyillhil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't consider Shaun a horror story. I think it's more like a comedy that used zombies as a conflict.

uh...yeah...that makes sense. Laughing
Fairlane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernieh wrote:
I did see 28 Days Later and it was cool. Also looking forward to the Dawn of the Dead remake on DVD...

On a sort of similar topic, have you ever seen any of Peter Jackson's early films like Bad Taste or BrainDead? (Which I think is called Dead Alive over there....). Great splatter and great humour Very Happy

Fairlane
NOSTOROMO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Horror Films Reply with quote

The only Early Peter Jackson film i have seen is "MEET THE FEEBLES" and it is scary for a whole different reason than horror.

Truly the best horror films came out in the Mid 1980s, of course they are not "scary" by today's standards what with modern day beheadins in Iraq and video tape executions being broadcasted on Al Jazeera television but a few more classic films to whet your appetite:

RETURN OF THE DEADLY ALIEN SPAWN (A true campy classic)
DAY OF THE DEAD
DAWN OF THE DEAD
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (REMAKE - Rarely is a remake as good as the original,but this Tom savini classic isworhty to the original).
SiL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George A. Romero's Dead trilogy is excellent, but you stated that you weren't for the slow build-ups, so they aren't really for you.

Every horror film I can think of starts slowly, or starts with a bang then slows itself down.

What we need is a movie where it starts in the middle, and we slowly learn throughout hte carnage and horror what happened before, so that it can be non-stop horror and still have a story.
ThatGuyDann

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Labrynth. 2 hours of David Bowie in tight leather.

It haunts me still.
Black Clark Kent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Jackson's Dead Alive:

Man, that brings it back.

Whenever you have a kung-fu fighting priest that says," I kick ass for the Lord!" THAT'S a classic!

Yeah," Meet the Feebles" is disturbing on so many levels.

What about "Cannibal Holocaust"? That's a messed up movie.
hankyspanky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was younger, things never scared me, also just disturbed me.
I'm sure I'm leaving some out. It is my favorite genre.

Rosemarys Baby
It's Alive (They're making a new one. I'm already scared)
Halloween I
Friday the 13th I
Lair of the White Worm (vampires & snakes...oh my)
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Night of the Comet

more Recently
Silence of the Lambs
The Ring
Suspiria
Gummo (it really is horrorific)
bernieh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanky, I bought Suspiria on DVD after hearing so much about Dario... zzzzzzzzzzzzz... you can have it!
Dean

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly, High Tension lives up to its name for an unusually long portion of its running time. It's due out here in February.

Edited to add: Here's the trailer. Definitely looks unique!

Last edited by Dean on Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
tobe romero

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
Supposedly, High Tension lives up to its name for an unusually long portion of its running time. It's due out here in February.

Haute (High) Tension is one of the best slasher movies to come along in years. Of course, it's not American, it's French. It has heart-pounding suspense for most of the movie. If they do release it NC-17 with the gore intact as rumored, DO NOT miss it! One of the Top 5 horror movies this year easily (it's on DVD if you can't wait).

My Top 5 this year are:
Dawn of the Dead 2004 - not very scary, but great action
The Grudge - kinda scary, but Ju-on is scarier
Saw - a fun over-the-top flick, not too scary, some good suspense though
Haute Tension (see above)
Shaun of the Dead - not too scary either, but great fun
(KHNH)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *hated* Saw, mostly because I could NOT accept the plot twists. They were unbelievable.
The scary factor just wasn't there because of Cary Elwes' horrible acting. It just.... Well, sucks.

I adored Ringu, though, ('cause everything is scarier when little Japanese children are involved!)
bernieh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I JUST got my ticket for a 4:50 show today... let's hope you and me got different tastes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the Omen was pretty scary, that was until i saw Somthing's gotta give. *sudders* ........... I NEVER EVER EVER want to see that movie again......
Abhorance

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scariest movie ever
My brothers Honeymoon Video
It was VILE!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: