Alien Loves Predator Forum Index
         
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
black and white
    page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> General B.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Alternate Spideygal



Gender: Gender:Female
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Posts: 3222
Location: Any where a friendly neighborhood Spider would be.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: black and white Reply with quote

2:01 am


Wondering if Hypnosys is black and questioning his use of the word Nigga...fuck it...

Wut's good nigga!!!

lol...I felt like using that word...damn...I haven't said that word in like a day.

1:03 am

Making a vow to use that word as much as possible.
_________________

Married to Azrael.
Queen of Innuendo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Simon_Says



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 17 Apr 2005
Posts: 6823
Location: Being generally opposing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, 'bout nigga.

Why the hell are blacks allowed to make fun of white people in stand-up comedy and whites aren't allowed to make fun of blacks, but it's perfectly fine to make fun of muslims? Confused

*edit* I don't expect you guys to answer that question.
_________________


Last edited by Simon_Says on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Robot Chicken Koko



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Posts: 1130
Location: gettin' my learn on

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_Says wrote:
Okay, 'bout nigga.

Why the hell are blacks allowed to make fun of white people in stand-up comedy and whites aren't allowed to make fun of blacks, but it's perfectly fine to make fun of muslims? Confused



It's because black people are hyper-sensitive to everything a white person does, i should know, i live in dc where something like 7 out of 8 people are minorities. I mean, have a you ever seen a huge funeral wake where its a black guy who has just died and he's got the "community" all there driving around with no police officers and no Permission and they end up holding up traffic for 2 hours in dc ffs, while im late for school because I'm trying to drive across the intersection when I have a green light but can't make it through the gauntlet because every guy is so pissed at me for trying to just cross the fucking street that he almost get's out of the car and tries to start a fight but really just curses and calls me a faggot because if I do make it I have besmirched the honor of somebody's funeral . . . . . and that's my monologue
_________________
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Blaster
Moderator


Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 2544
Location: Chicago

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm glad that your limited experience qualifies you to make sweeping generalizations about an entire phenotypic group.
_________________
Context is everything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Alternate Spideygal



Gender: Gender:Female
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Posts: 3222
Location: Any where a friendly neighborhood Spider would be.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1:38 am

Watching Inuyasha, talking to someone online and trying to not fall asleep...

....niggas.

And also there is a white comedian who jokes on black people. I forgot her name but she's really really funny and dirty.
_________________

Married to Azrael.
Queen of Innuendo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Complex_Number_States
banned


Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 08 May 2006
Posts: 639
Location: Flyover Country, USA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the United States, blacks are still an oppressed minority. Second class at best, probably third or fourth class in most places.

Just to make this clear, I am causasian. I think the oppression of minorities by caucasians is cowardly at best. Despite having grown up in a very intolerant part of a segregated society, I have almost entirely rid myself of prejudices based on race or sexual orientation.

In general, the members of an oppressed minority can make fun of their oppressors, and it is not necessarily considered offensive. If the opressors were to make fun of the opressed minority, with very few exceptions, it would be considered offensive.

I am not saying that I agree or disagree with this, I am just stating the way things are.

------------------------

It really bothers me when a black student in my class drops an n-bomb. Were I to use this word, in exactly the same context, most, if not all, of my black students would be offended.

One black young man, after being called on using the word, said it just meant "person" to him.

I find the word offensive, in and of itself. I especially find it offensive when a student uses the word in my classroom, knowing that if I used the word, it would probably cost me my job.

If I can't say it, you can't say it either.

------------------------

I could go on and on on this one, but it is late and I am tired.

But the genral answer to the question is that oppressors can't joke about the oppressed, but jokes going the other way are acceptable.





*Edit* Damn I am glad I finally started a new page in this thread, and I don't have to see that creepy Shatner picture first thing every time. It's been there for weeks!
_________________


What if the 4th dimension became lava? You could map our physical location with the coordinates: X, Y, Z, and ARRRRG SO HOT, IT'S SO HOT
- Chloeee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robot Chicken Koko



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Posts: 1130
Location: gettin' my learn on

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaster wrote:
Well, I'm glad that your limited experience qualifies you to make sweeping generalizations about an entire phenotypic group.


I don't think it's actually just a generalization, I believe it's true. I was once beaten up for stepping on a black kids shoe in my freaking school, for stepping on his shoe, he pushed me down the stairs and broke my nose. I mean, that's just the beginning of my experience. The way I see it though, everyone is a little racist, and I don't mean ignorant and stupid hate like hicks who think minorities are lazy and wanna take'r jobs, but I mean it's hard and almost damn near impossible not to harbor generalizations about an entire phenotypic group. It's not just my experience that qualifies me to make generalizations about a race but also tv, movies, people you meet, what you read, what you see, what you're told, the news, statistics on income, college attendance, murder, drug use, single parenthood, average life span, birth rate, education etc. I'm looking at all kinds of 'evidence' that these generalizations are more right than wrong, even though what it comes down to is that being part of a race doesn't make anything a given, it all depends on you.

And I also don't think there should be any restricted or . . . off-limites . . . um . . . stuff, for comedians to run with.
_________________
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." - Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Alternate Spideygal



Gender: Gender:Female
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Posts: 3222
Location: Any where a friendly neighborhood Spider would be.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it wrong to stereotype asian children at my job? I've been taking a tally of how many kids ask for Naruto or Megaman video games. And most of them are asian, some are indian, a bit is white, and its rare for an african-american child to ask for either Naruto or Megaman...I'm going to keep this poll going. Hehe...yea...

Oh its 10:17pm and I'm watching ECW.
_________________

Married to Azrael.
Queen of Innuendo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Crotchfire



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 06 Jun 2005
Posts: 527
Location: You wouldn't believe me if I told you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have almost entirely rid myself of prejudices based on race or sexual orientation.


Just how much is almost? I'm a firm believer that there is no one on earth who isn't racist to some degree, and the more you try not to be racist, the more the issue of race centers in your worldview, and the more racist you become.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm racist. Do I want to be racist? No, but until I can see a black man and think "Lo, it is a man!" as opposed to "Lo, it is a black man!", I'll remain racist.

Even if you think "Lo, it is a black man! I must be careful not to judge him based on established stereotypes of black men!", the issue of race is still altering your interactions with people of different ethnicities.

A man saying "Hi, I WILL NOT ASSUME THAT YOU COMFORM TO ESTABLISHED STEREOTYPES FOR BLACK MEN!" is just as offensive as "Hi, NIGGER!"

In summary, the bigger a deal you make out of race (in any direction), the more of a racist you are.

That's my rant for the day. Feel free to ignore it if it isn't altogether coherent Confused
_________________
The official MILF-masta of the AlP forums.
In addition to my well-documented exploits, my first two initials are MF. Seriously, I'm not making that up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frost



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 05 Jul 2005
Posts: 2442
Location: The Realm of Suck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well spoken, Crotchfire! I've always agreed!

Until the world can look at someone and not instantly call to mind his race, segregation will always be a problem.

Edit: Wrong name...
_________________
You forget one thing: rock crushes scissors. But paper covers rock... and
scissors cuts paper... Kiff, we have a conundrum. Search them for paper... and
bring me a rock.
-- Zapp Brannigan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Munan
Moderator


Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 30 May 2005
Posts: 3232
Location: Living on my own

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crotchfire wrote:
In summary, the bigger a deal you make out of race (in any direction)


I liked your post, since it was very coherent and intelligent.

However, why race? When I sit down with international friends, we always talk about the differences between our countries and the cultural stereotypes we have of each other and enjoy it very much. The funny thing: the more similar we are, the more interesting the differences. Put a Dutchman and a Flemish person together (the Netherlands and Flanders having the same language and to a large extend the same culture) and they will inevitably end up talking about the differences between The Netherlands and Flanders.

I've always found cultural differences much more intriguing and worth my attention than differences based on the colour of one's skin. Maybe growing up in a household where there were several races present made me somewhat 'blind' to these differences. Maybe being of mixed race (though looking mostly what you in the USA for reasons that continue to escape me call caucasian) makes me not want to think about these kind of things.

And trust me: a white American male has much more in common with a black American male than with a white Dutchman. I and my Moroccon neighbour, both living in the big city, have much more culture in common than I would have with anyone with the same genetical make-up as me living in some small town out on the country.
_________________
The Justified Ancient of Mu Mu
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Complex_Number_States
banned


Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 08 May 2006
Posts: 639
Location: Flyover Country, USA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munan wrote:
However, why race?

Because, being visually apparent, race is easiest.

When a person is walking down the street, one can easily see the color of the person's skin, and guess at the person's ancestry. Unless the person is wearing culturally-associated clothing, the person's culture will not be apparent. Blue jeans and a T-shirt doesn't really tell you anything.

Prejudice is based primarily on two things: Fear of anyone different, and intellectual laziness. Whenever laziness is invloved, of course the easiest thing will be foremost.

Crotchfire wrote:
Just how much is almost? I'm a firm believer that there is no one on earth who isn't racist to some degree, and the more you try not to be racist, the more the issue of race centers in your worldview, and the more racist you become.

Crotchfire, I am going to assume, despite its apparent connotations, and my initial reaction, that this statement is not an accusation.

I don't believe it is as much about thinking "that is a person" rather than "that is a black person." I think it is more about thinking "that is a black person" rather than thinking "that is a black person, therefore <insert stereotype here>" I think this is OK, as long as I don't see a white person without thnking "that is a white person." (And I don't)

But then, I can only see into my mind. I only know what I know. For me, I will always notice someone's skin color, and apparent racial background, the same way I will notice how tall or how old that person is. It is part of my personality to notice such things. I will never stop noticing such things. I don't have a reason to stop.

When I say I have almost rid myself of prejudices, I am talking about prejudices, pre-judgements of how a person will act or think, based upon their race. I do not expect a black person to be shiftless, or lazy, or criminal, or a good dancer. Even though I was raised in an extremely racially divided community.

Those of you who are under 30 are very unlikely to be able to understand what it was like in Oklahoma, USA, in the 1960s, when my thought patterns were being formed*. The city I live in was still very segregated. I almost never even saw black people. The two asian girls in my kindergarten were "chinese" even though they repeatedly said they weren't chinese. They were the only two "non-white" classmates I had my first three years of school. I only had about six black classmates up through high school graduation. And maybe a dozen more of other "non-white" ancestry.

I had to learn, on my own, to stop prejudging people based on their ancestry.

There are still many places in the US where people are prejudged based on their ancestry. Probably far more than places where they aren't.

This is probably true everywhere any group of people with a higher level of technology colonizes an area where the native inhabitants have a visible phenotypic difference. That visible difference is what makes it easy for the invaders to spot the "wogs," and condescend to them.

And it is especially true in the US, where "God intended for the black race to be slaves to the white race. It is their natural state."

In Europe, home to the "white" or "caucasian" race, there was no need to assert innate superiority over the navtives by the race exerting superior technology. The race with the superior technology was the native race. The caucasians did not need to assert their superiority, they were already the masters. There was no guilt to cover up, no theft of land to justify. Also, Europeans have (had) a long history of enslaving other Europeans, and needed no justification for that, either. When such slavery stopped being economically advantageous†, it mostly went away. There was little superiority/inferiority reasoning to drive it, to keep it going only for the sake of difference.

------------------------

The world's people were at one time divided by physical anthropologists into four major groups, or races, based on how their physical characteristics related to their geographic origins: Caucasoid, Negroid, Mongoloid, and Australoid. Caucasoid referred to people indigenous to Europe, North Africa, Western Asia, South Asia and the Western portion of Central Asia.

The term "Caucasoid" is derived from the Caucasus Mountain range, which runs from South to North through Europe. The term "caucasian" derived from Caucasoid, and now generally refers to people of European descent.

I personally use the term "caucasian" because it has different connotations in the US. By denoting geographical ancestry rather than phenotypic expression, the term, to a certain extent, avoids the underlying assumption of White=Good, Black=Bad.

------------------------
Ramblin', I am Ramblin' On.

But I have to stop now. I have an appointment with my chiropractor.
------------------------

*This statement was a prejudicial statement. I am pre-judging, based on your age, that you will lack a certain point of view.

Horse collars are one of the major things that made slavery in Europe less advantageous. There were others. I leave their discovery as an exercise for the reader.

Slavery in the southern regions of North America remained economically advantageous until the 20th century, since picking cotton and chopping sugar cane had to be done by human hands.
_________________


What if the 4th dimension became lava? You could map our physical location with the coordinates: X, Y, Z, and ARRRRG SO HOT, IT'S SO HOT
- Chloeee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Smiley



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 30 Jan 2006
Posts: 725
Location: Inside the Beltway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lived in the Washington, DC metropolitan area my entire life. I've grown up around people from all over the world. I went to school with first and second generation immigrants from all over South America, Asia, Africa and Europe. I've had friends and neighbors from just about everywhere on the planet. If there's one thing I've learned from my life experiences, it's that black people are more racist than white people in my area.

The first reaction that a black person in this area has when confronted by a white person is that they are being discriminated against. The white person may catch a black person in some bullshit, ignorant behavior, something that shows that person lacks class and maturity, and no matter how tactful and constructive the white person is, the black person is inevitably going to say, "it's because I'm black, ain't it?" Never mind that the faults that the white person is pointing out are individual character flaws, if it's a white dude telling a black dude he's being an ass, it's a race thing. It kills me.

One time I tried to ask a guy nicely to stop drooling all over his sandwich on the Metro. It's illegal to eat, drink or smoke anywhere in the Metro system, whether you're on the train, standing on a platform, riding in an elevator, or on a bus. I was sitting in front of some greasy slob chomping noisily on his breakfast, and it was making me sick. Not to mention that he was spitting bits of...whatever...on my neck. I sort of turned my head a few degrees toward him, and he said, "What the fuck you lookin' at?" Well, I wasn't going to get into it with him, but he had to open his fucking retarded mouth. So I said, as pleasantly as I could, "You do realize that it's agains the law to eat on the train, right?"

"Fuck you! You fuckin' cracka ass muthafucka! Mind you own damn bidness!"

Suddenly the guy sitting next to me, a complete stranger, does a 180 and starts railing against the eater, telling him he needs to calm down, that there's no need to be so hostile, and the eater kept cursing at us and got all belligerant. "You know we're just trying to point out that you could get in trouble here, it's not like we're calling the cops on you." The eater got more hostile at the mention of the polce, so I said fuck it and called them. I have the number of the Metro cops on my cell phone because I ride often enough that it never hurts to have them on speed dial...you see a lot of crazy stuff on the Metro.

So I'm describing the eater to the cop on the phone while he keeps yelling at me, calling me a "cracka ass muthafucka, racist cracka bitch" at the top of his voice. He called me racist a few times, and told the stranger next to me that the only reason we were doing this was because he was black. It was pointless for me to try and explain the irony of that to him. He just wasn't getting it.


As for the word "nigger," it doesn't bother me in the least, because I'm not afraid of words. Words can't hurt me or anyone else. I don't care what color you are, where you live or what country you come from, if you use words as an excuse to get angry and offended, then you're an ignoramus in my opinion. Use your brain. Words are harmless. The context in which they're used can sometimes make for an interesting evening, but if you get called a bad name and try to hurt someone physically over it, then you're fucking retarded. End of story.
_________________
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
-Gallileo Galilei
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Crotchfire



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 06 Jun 2005
Posts: 527
Location: You wouldn't believe me if I told you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Crotchfire, I am going to assume, despite its apparent connotations, and my initial reaction, that this statement is not an accusation.


I don't really have a problem with your point of view. Truth be told, I just wanted to zing you with that remark (plus, it made a smashingly good segue into my rant!). No offense intended, but you kind of sound like you're on a high horse. Rolling Eyes I still maintain my position in the rest of my previous post, though.

Quote:
I don't believe it is as much about thinking "that is a person" rather than "that is a black person." I think it is more about thinking "that is a black person" rather than thinking "that is a black person, therefore <insert stereotype here>" I think this is OK, as long as I don't see a white person without thnking "that is a white person." (And I don't)


I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here... The last sentence befuddled me somewhat. Could you rephrase that?
_________________
The official MILF-masta of the AlP forums.
In addition to my well-documented exploits, my first two initials are MF. Seriously, I'm not making that up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Complex_Number_States
banned


Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 08 May 2006
Posts: 639
Location: Flyover Country, USA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crotchfire wrote:
No offense intended, but you kind of sound like you're on a high horse.

I probably am. If I am, it certainly isn't be the first time, nor will it be the last.

I was just trying to provide a context for my statement.

And, yeah, to brag a tiny bit. =D

Crotchfire wrote:
I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here... The last sentence befuddled me somewhat. Could you rephrase that?

I am saying, I don't think it is prejudicial for me to think "that is a black man" when I see a black man, as long as I think "that is a white man" when I see a white man.

If I think "that is a black man" when I see a black man, but think "that is a man" when I see a white man, that is prejucidial.

In my opinion.

I do the former, not the latter.

As to whether my behavior is racist, well, that depends on your definition of racist. I know of three:

1. Someone who sees races.

2. Someone who prejudges people based on their race.

3. Someone who oppresses people based on their race.

What I do falls under the first defintion. I don't think this definition is useful for anything, especially for this discussion.

The only people I have heard express the third definition are certain black people. They say, "Black people can't be racist, because, we are not in a position to oppress other people. We are the oppressed." These are typically the people who also say, "If I ever apply for a job, and then don't get it, I file a Civil Rights complaint, saying I didn't get the job because the employer was racist." These are ignorant racist fucks, in my opinion. These people are the same as the ignorant fuck Smileypen met on the Metro, who use race as an excuse. This, in my opinion, is the absolute worst form of racism.

The only one I think is meaningful in current US society is the second. It is the one I use. And by that definition, I am not racist.

I am classist. I react the same way to a white man or a black man who looks like trash, or acts like trash. And believe me, here in Flyover Country, USA, we have our share of white trash. And your share, Smilepen. I don't know where you are from, Crotchfire, so I don't know for sure, but probably your share, too. And lots and lots of other people's shares.

Ah, the four teeth crowd, they are my faves.

I guess I am back astride the Clydesdale. Oh well.
_________________


What if the 4th dimension became lava? You could map our physical location with the coordinates: X, Y, Z, and ARRRRG SO HOT, IT'S SO HOT
- Chloeee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blaster
Moderator


Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 2544
Location: Chicago

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To expand upon my reaction to Koko's original statement: I just have a problem with anyone who unjustifiably extrapolates from certain members of some group to that group as a whole. One can certainly identify valid social phenomena, as I am sure that there are plenty of black people in Koko's neighborhood who meet his description, but when ones starts with "(all) black people are...," one immediately loses credibility. Maybe it's just a matter of being glib, but it makes it seem as if one is positing inherent (i. e., genetic, rather than learned) characteristics in that group. As complexnumbers noted, racism derives at least partially from laziness. Smileypen at least took the time to note that he was identifying a subset.

complexnumbers wrote:
As to whether my behavior is racist, well, that depends on your definition of racist. I know of three:

1. Someone who sees races.

2. Someone who prejudges people based on their race.

3. Someone who oppresses people based on their race.


Although number 1 is not technically racism, the idea is that, in the ideal society, we would all be color blind. The fact of the matter is that a lot of white people do think "that is a black man" when they see a black man, and "that is a man" when they see a white man. If you give equal consideration to all races, I guess that is better.

Number 2 is probably the most common and accepted definition for racism today, but, by the most specific definition, that is racial prejudice rather than true racism...

...which brings us to number 3. This is based upon the traditional definition of racism, that is, racialism, the notion that one race is inherently superior to another. Even with this definition, power is not required to hold such a view, but power is required to enforce the mandates of such a belief.

Edit: other things I wanted to note:

I understand Smileypen's point about words-they certainly should not be used to justify violence-but it is silly to pretend that words are irrelevant because words are indeed powerful.

Also, like complexnumbers, I am classist. I judge people based upon behavior, hygiene, etc. Many of the the claims that people make about race are truly class issues in diguise. Yes, race can be a factor, but it is a matter or correlation, not causation. Besides, nine years of working in customer service at a grocery store has shown me that scumbags come in all colors.

Second edit: I realize that "class" may be a bit of a loaded term. I am not simply talking about wealth, but using the other definitions of the word as well.
_________________
Context is everything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Smiley



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 30 Jan 2006
Posts: 725
Location: Inside the Beltway

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify: I may not be offended by words and their usage by ignoramuses, but I do recognize the potential for those who are subject to offense when they're used. The commonly accepted "bad" language (that term makes me cringe) I limit to use in my own home, and like I said before, the context is key. In other words, the term "nigger" or "spic" may come up in conversation with my wife, but not in a hateful way. When someone says a word is hateful in and of itself, that really bugs me. Words have no power in and of themselves. It's about how they're used. If I say "nigger" at home it's because I use it as a descriptor. I personally don't ascribe all the negative connotations to it that many do. To me it's just another word, and a silly-soundind one at that. I like the word "cracker" too. I like to make the joke that I may be a white boy but I ain't no cracker, because I'm from a jewish ancestry, which means somewhere back along the bloodline I have some middle-eastern in me. So that makes me a graham cracker!

I recognize that not everyone is going to brush off that sort of language as easily as I can. I'm not even really sure I'm capable of being offended by words. Actions, yes. I'm offended by people's actions all the time! But I still think that folks who get all bent out of shape over what someone says have a lot of growing up to do.

I certainly find myself being classist. If you're dressed like a thug with the oversized jeans hanging lower than your ass crack, showing off your K-Mart boxers, hat turned sideways, mispronouncing common words, covered in a bunch of cheap metal jewelry, wearing two t-shirts on top of each other, and generally acting like you got a chip on your shoulder, then my automatic reaction may be one of trepidation. Especially if you have your hand up under your shirt, tucked into your waist band. That's the common sign for packing heat. And it's not about race. If you're white, black, or somewhere in between and you dress and act like that I'm going to be less likely to want to have anything to do with you. But if you exhibit some respect for people around you, you don't dress like some gangsta in a rap video, you speak decent english and try to have some friggin class in public, no harm done.

I really think that we are hard wired to see the skin color. It's part of our survival instincts buried deep in our primitive genetic memory: we want our own to prosper at the expense of others if necessary. It happens in the wild all the time. Amongst monkeys and wolves and big cats and all sorts of birds, too. Families protect their own, they kill others' young, they fight off outsiders. Different breeds of domesticated dogs and cats fight in the streets over territory, food and mates.

I don't think humans are that different. We just curb the instincts. We fight off our nature. If we are raised in a culturally diverse environment and taught to respect others for their individualism it has to start at a young age. Most little kids, if you stick them into a playpen with other little kids who are different from what they're used to, they fear the difference. It's instinct. As long as they don't think less of someone because of the difference, as long as parents explain that our differences are what make us great as a species, it's cool.

I hate people who try to homogenize everything in the name of political correctness. People who walk around looking for excuses to be offended. The irony is that they're trying to make everyone the same by deliberately not addressing the fundamental differences in culture that can make society great, which in turn divides us worse. It's really bad here in DC.
_________________
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
-Gallileo Galilei
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Alternate Spideygal



Gender: Gender:Female
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Posts: 3222
Location: Any where a friendly neighborhood Spider would be.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Smileypen I got cousins down in D.C. so I know how bad it is down there. And I agree with being a Classist. When I'm in Jamaica, Queens and I see these young men trying be a thug because its cool...I'm like...>.<. But its funny how they're become less and less seen. Their pants are becoming more fitter, they're wearing graphic tees and converses...And I think...Omg, is everyone starting to look the same? Is fashion relating to the masses? And its the same with music. I have a lot of black friends who listen to Jay-z one second and then Avenged Sevenfold (which is an awesome band btw) the next. Its almost like in NY...everyone is becoming one. But they're afraid to really talk to each other. Cause if we all opened up its obvious we all got a lot in common. I think thugs are people that are afraid to succeed. They talk about how bad it is when it's really not that bad. If only they pulled up their pants, put a belt on, comb their hair, and spoke better, they CAN get a job and have a better life. And what is with having nice ass cars, jewelry and clothes when they're homes look like a crack house? Its like your car cost more than your rent. With the money you spent on the car you could have bought a decent house, a decent car, and had enough left to make the house live-able and nice. And you can wear nice clothes that is inexpensive...Damn I just went off on a tangent...
_________________

Married to Azrael.
Queen of Innuendo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Munan
Moderator


Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 30 May 2005
Posts: 3232
Location: Living on my own

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaster wrote:
Also, like complexnumbers, I am classist. I judge people based upon behavior, hygiene, etc. Many of the the claims that people make about race are truly class issues in diguise. Yes, race can be a factor, but it is a matter or correlation, not causation. Besides, nine years of working in customer service at a grocery store has shown me that scumbags come in all colors.

Second edit: I realize that "class" may be a bit of a loaded term. I am not simply talking about wealth, but using the other definitions of the word as well.


Just want to say I really agree with all of this.

The fact that many people think "that's a black man" instead of "that's a man" when seeing a black man, also means that they think: "that's a black scumbag" when confronted with a black man behaving irritatingly, and just "that's a scumbag" when confronted with a white man behaving irritatingly. Because of this, the behaviour of the black man leads to prejudices, because people then link blackness to scumbagness.

I did this on purpose. Re-read the sentences above. Notice anything strange about it?
It is completely written from the point of view of whites, although it says "people". You will see this a lot, even black people do this. Whiteness, in our society, has become the norm (i.e. whites are "people" and blacks are "black people"). This is one of the main reasons for racial prejudices, even those that seem to be justified.

Also, it seems to me that modern western society, especially American society, has become obsessed with skin colour. A nice comment on this was the comic Bernie did some time ago, this one: http://www.alienlovespredator.com/index.php?id=140. I find it significant they notice Abe is dark-skinned, but don't see he is an alien.

Yes, race is what you see, as comnum noticed, but it is also what you are looking for. If we were told by society that noses denotate your character, we would start to notice them more than skin colour.
_________________
The Justified Ancient of Mu Mu
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Aramor



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Posts: 14141
Location: On a cyborg unicorn pony!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the whole "words are empty" thing Smileypen was talking about, I can get offended if people say the wrong things to me. Not because of what they say, but because they say them with the intention to hurt me.
But I only have this with people I care about, people of whom I wouldn't have thought they would try to hurt me.

For instance, a long time ago (like 2 or 3 years (which is a long time...)) I was riding my bike and I was going under a bridge thingy... there were two guys standing there and one of them called me a fag. I couldn't care less. Ok, in my mind I start thinking "ever had an army boot so far up your ass you can taste it?" but that's just for fun. I don't deem him worthy of a good ass kicking. Not that I am the kinda guy who would do or be able to actually do it, but the thought is comforting... somehow...

Well, that was just what I wanted to say. Please excuse me if some of my sentences are a bit weird, but I just had 5 days of partying, drinking and heart-breaking.
_________________
Photoshopperholic wrote:
Mighty Lord Aramor


Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Alternate Spideygal



Gender: Gender:Female
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Posts: 3222
Location: Any where a friendly neighborhood Spider would be.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um some chick with a screenname called "Ladyred" e-mailed me over this. And then she had the nerve to put down...

"And finally you can't have your womb wrecked by a fantasy creature go buy a dildo and call it click-click..."

Who the fuck is this? I demand to find out. I tried to e-mail her back but it wouldn't go through. I'm so pissed off right now.
_________________

Married to Azrael.
Queen of Innuendo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Complex_Number_States
banned


Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 08 May 2006
Posts: 639
Location: Flyover Country, USA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang Spideygirl, I wrote a post to you but somehow it isn't there. :p

What I said was, this person who emailed you is a coward, and not worth the time or effort of your anger.

I am sorry this happened to you.

But this cowardly emailing is more pathetic than anything else, so don't give it any more thought than you absolutely have to.

People like this are losers. Those of us who know you know you are a good person.
_________________


What if the 4th dimension became lava? You could map our physical location with the coordinates: X, Y, Z, and ARRRRG SO HOT, IT'S SO HOT
- Chloeee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alternate Spideygal



Gender: Gender:Female
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Posts: 3222
Location: Any where a friendly neighborhood Spider would be.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ComNums...^_^ You're the best father figure a super-heroine could ever have!
_________________

Married to Azrael.
Queen of Innuendo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
wrincewind



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 23 Sep 2006
Posts: 245
Location: in a cave, deep, deep under the city, waiting for the next post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it may be to do with my autism (i am dyspraxic) but i never developed social skills to the point where i made a mental gap in my brain to think about the colour of people, or other such things. i tend to think on the lines of "this is a person approaching me. he is black. (or he is white.) how can i avoid this conversation?"
edit: that sentance may not sem right, but i mean when i was young, i would try o avoid most conversations with pepole i did not know well.
oh, and spideygirl? i think i've found the book for you.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/books/humor/8ab1/
_________________
there once was something funny here.
then again, perhaps not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Azrael



Gender: Gender:Male
Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 4810
Location: AWOL no more

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to stay away from racial terms and jokes. I never make fun of people for their race, religion, where they are from, or anything of that matter. I consider those the "below-the-belt" jokes.

That's why Carlos Mencia is going to wind up murdered. Jay Leno too.Maybe even by me...
_________________
Only the strongest will survive.

Married to SpideyGirl.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> General B.S. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group