Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Ever seen any cool album art?...
    page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Behemothic Leviathonic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Ever seen any cool album art?... Reply with quote

Heres a few of my favorites...

'Leviathan' by Mastodon

'Transilvanian Hunger' by Darkthrone

'Burned Mind' by Wolf Eyes

Alien VS Predator VS Species VS The Thing VS The Polymorph VS The Terminator VS Cthulhu VS Critters VS Tremors VS Nocturnal Hammerheads
nicholaskang

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres mine i made it the words are isnt this date nice the text dat the xeno is blocking is my copyright
Behemothic Leviathonic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicholaskang wrote:
heres mine i made it the words are isnt this date nice the text dat the xeno is blocking is my copyright

Very nice Nicholas, but how would you fit that image into a CD case?. Anyhow I can see it now...

Nicholas Kang (good stage name Razz ) with his new album "Isn't This Date Nice"; the first Predator Metal band. But what would Predator Metal sound like?. How about a cross between Heavy Electro Metal and New Wave Punk/Rock. Imagine if you will Fear Factory jamming with The Futureheads. Good time, good times... Very Happy

Alien VS Predator VS Species VS The Thing VS The Polymorph VS The Terminator VS Cthulhu VS Critters VS Tremors VS Nocturnal Hammerheads
Corporal Waffle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: heey Reply with quote

this in my favorite movie Very Happy

http://www.arrakeen.ch/thailand/053%20%20me%20&%20the%20alien.jpg
(just the front)

TITLE: PREDATOR MIDGETS Very Happy

munan wrote:
Vevlaa, for fuck's sake, edit your damn post!!
Dahaka

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iced Earth, Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, and Manowar have the best album art.
desert_drum

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cover yer eyes, kids, mama's gonna show her age!

Fly By Night - Rush

Asia - Asia
sardine

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I'd call any of this "cool album art" but for the worst album art, check out...

http://www.cenedella.com/stone/archives/000302.html
Digitaaliklosetti

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodom - Masquerade In Blood
Anyone know where to get this in a nice 800x600, unstretched? Would make an awesome wallpaper.

Iron Maiden - Fear Of The Dark
You gotta stick with the classics.

Bolt Thrower - Honor, Valour, Pride
Warhammer 40,000, anyone?

So yeah. Those three are good. Kinda.
Blaster

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digitaaliklosetti wrote:
Warhammer 40,000, anyone?

W00t1111
riff13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little biased, but here's my current favorite.
Bryna Caine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cover of "The Arockalypse" by Lordi. And the back of that little booklet rules too but I can't find a pic of it.

It's PAINTED (looks at least CGI, I know- but check out the clouds. You can tell they've been painted) by the lead singer Mr. Lordi (he's drawn or painted ALL the album art and done ALL the drawings/paintings that are inside the album booklets).
Those costumes are their appearance. Lordi are the ultimate band-that-dresses-up. And I get to see them in their Monsterican flesh live on Halloween....

Guy in the middle, that's the lead singer. Known amongst fans as Mr. Lordi, known amongst everyone else as... Lordi's lead singer, or Lordi the lead singer.
But he's Mr. Lordi.
Smiley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only album I bought solely on the basis of its cover:

Still one of my favorite albums, musically speaking.
Munan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my favourite album cover of all time (I'd have to think about that more carefully, really), but I love the idea of yawning on the cover of your album and it's a nice reaction to your my-scary-monster-can-beat-your-skull-picking-scavenger posts.
Sal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still think this was a hell of a cover

regardless of what you think of the music (i find it excellent)

this was also pretty cool

the sheep! and it's coming to get ya!

and how about this one?

it's white, you can't really say what's going on here, but it is somewhat disturbing...

and as for Maidens, i think they topped them all with this one

that's all for now.
Munan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on the Metellica one (both artwork and music) and the Pearl Jam one (only the artwork, the music always reminds me of someone trying to squeeze mashed potatoes through a keyhole. Yes. That's what it sounds like to me).

As for Radiohead: The music is very good but rather depressing, the cover art, however, is hopelessly arty farty and way too pretentious for my tastes. Have you seen Justin Timberlake's new album cover? Now that's what an album cover should look like. He's kicking a disco mirror ball! I.e. he's trying to prove he's not gay! And he's wearing a suit! Yes, sheer brilliance...

Iron Maiden: see my previous post.

Hey, you know what I find a really good album cover? The bricks on Pink Floyd's the wall, original version (without the letters). Brilliant in its simplicity!
Sal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munan wrote:
Agreed on the Metellica one (both artwork and music) and the Pearl Jam one (only the artwork, the music always reminds me of someone trying to squeeze mashed potatoes through a keyhole. Yes. That's what it sounds like to me).

well, we are talking about artwork. (although i actually find it the best Pearl Jam album, but let's leave it.)

Munan wrote:
As for Radiohead: The music is very good but rather depressing, the cover art, however, is hopelessly arty farty and way too pretentious for my tastes.

well, how about this one then? that's another i intended to post

you should like it, it is simplistic. i know i like it.

Munan wrote:
Iron Maiden: see my previous post.

seen it and got your point. please notice, however, that the one i chose is a major step forward in the development of Iron Maiden covers. the usual Ed Hunter is immaterial, ephemeral even, lurking somewhere there in the skies over a futuristic-looking city.
but i think Maidens were always way ahead of the regular blood-guts-and-nukes heavy metal "aesthetics".

Munan wrote:
Have you seen Justin Timberlake's new album cover?

nope, and i can't find it anywhere on the net, and the way you're describing it, i really have to see it with my own eyes!
(on a side note, the much awaited new Justin single is a major disappointment. it's gonna take much more effort if he plans to inherit the King of Pop title.)

Munan wrote:
Hey, you know what I find a really good album cover? The bricks on Pink Floyd's the wall, original version (without the letters). Brilliant in its simplicity!

of course, the simplest ideas are the best, provided they're really original, that's the whole trick. same goes for the videos.
Munan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salvatore wrote:
[well, how about this one then? that's another i intended to post

you should like it, it is simplistic. i know i like it.

Better. But is that a badly drawn whining, miserable little man sitting there? You know, I'm not particularly fond of badly drawn whining, miserable little men.

Quote:
please notice, however, that the one i chose is a major step forward in the development of Iron Maiden covers. the usual Ed Hunter is immaterial, ephemeral even, lurking somewhere there in the skies over a futuristic-looking city.

Indeed, there is a slight qualitative difference.

Quote:
Munan wrote:
Have you seen Justin Timberlake's new album cover?

nope, and i can't find it anywhere on the net, and the way you're describing it, i really have to see it with my own eyes!
(on a side note, the much awaited new Justin single is a major disappointment. it's gonna take much more effort if he plans to inherit the King of Pop title.)

Dude, that single is... amazing. I'm still thinking it's about doing 'it' doggy style, even though Angelus Raptor doesn't agree with me. The music proves pop music nowadays is much more 'experimental' than your average rock band.

Oh, here's the cover to the new album. It's got Justin Timberlake on it, so it can't be the best album cover ever. But it's pretty good. Look! He's smashing a mirror ball! He's trying to prove he's not gay! He's wearing a suit! It has a jazzy font! And he's got parental advisory! How cool is all of that?

Sal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omigod! so it was true!
well, it must be Justin at his coolest, certainly.
BUT notice one detail - his expression! it is quite an effort for him to smash the thing! so he is a woose after all!
had his look was more chilled out, like "meh, i'm smashing the mirror ball and i don't even have to try too hard, coz i'm so much cooler than the mirror ball", the effect would be indeed astonishing.

as for the hit single, experimental maybe, but that's not all that matters in pop. as i see it, a good pop song should first and foremost be catchy (and i mean it in the good sense), should have a good easy-to-remember-and-repeat melody, vital groove, and good singing of course. it should be exciting.
and there's hardly any excitement in Justin's computer-modulated voice, "singing" his one-note monotonous sex-mantra. he's got good voice, why can't he just show off with it?
there might be miracles of sound production going on in the background, but unless the song sounds like a song beside all the experimentation, it is not a good piece of pop.
that's how i see it.
to me quality pop would be Robbie Williams. he's always catchy.

not that i care for pop that much anyway, but since we're already talking...
Munan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the expression: you took the words right out of my mouth. You're absolutely right, he should have casually smashed it with a sort of je ne sais quoi expression. But that's what I meant when I said it's Justin Timberlake. Because he's incapable of such stuff.

About the ideal pop song: you've got a point. Yes, Robbie Williams is good in pulling that off. He'd also been a better model for this cover, but the problem would be that Robbie can't really pose as the see-how-not-gay-I-am type, now could he?

Also, do you know "Popular", by Darren Hayes? That one scores major points as a brilliant pop song. Or "Can't get you out of my head" by Kylie Minogue.

Talking about great pop-music: a friend just called - he's got tickets to a Pet Shop Boys concert on monday. Yippee!
Sal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munan wrote:
...Robbie can't really pose as the see-how-not-gay-I-am type, now could he?

guess not. he's too much of a natural born macho, and he can't help it.
anything un-macho would seem false in his case. Very Happy

as for the Darren-dude, i only am familiar with some of his earlier days, so no. but i don't think i would be interested.
and as for Kylie, yes, i think she is a nice specimen of high-level pop (as you would expect from an experienced Madonna wannabe like her).
however, this particular song gets awfully on my nerves.

Munan wrote:
Pet Shop Boys = Yippee!

your limitless admiration for Pet Shop Boys starts intriguing me. my knowledge of them is practically limited to "Go West". Very Happy
maybe i should try them out some day.
Complex_Number_States
banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, time for the old 70s era hippie-type to get all up in this thread.

For a long time my favorite band was Yes. Most of their album art was done by Roger Dean. Here are a few examples:

Here is the cover to Close to the Edge, very understated, and atypical of Roger Dean.

The following three, Fragile, Tales From Topographic Oceans, and The Ladder, are more typical of Dean's work.

This is the cover to Relayer, considered by many to be the best Dean Yes album cover.

Here is the entire work, as seen if you open the album. I had a poster of this cover, without the words, on my wall for many years.

They also had several covers done by Hipgnosis, a design team consisting of Storm Thorgerson, Aubrey Powell and Peter Christopherson.

Here are the covers for Going For the One and Tormato.

Hipgnosis also did covers for Pink Floyd, also very cool, but I currently don't have the time or energy to go there.

Many album covers from the 70s are waaaay cool. Here is a link to someone's top 50+ album covers from the 70s.

But I wll finish of with what has to be one of the coolest album covers of all time, Santana's Abraxas. It is so crammed with detail I had to show it bigger than the rest, although it is still not big enough to really see everything.

OK, I will stop now, even though I could do this for hours more, and hundreds more covers.

What if the 4th dimension became lava? You could map our physical location with the coordinates: X, Y, Z, and ARRRRG SO HOT, IT'S SO HOT
- Chloeee
Sal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep. Hipgnosis sure were a talented bunch. they're also responsible for the coolest Led Zeppelin album covers.
this one:

and especially this one:

the worst LZ album, the best LZ album cover.
Frost

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorites. It's so familiar, yet so wierd...
-- Zapp Brannigan
Munan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salvatore wrote:
your limitless admiration for Pet Shop Boys starts intriguing me. my knowledge of them is practically limited to "Go West". Very Happy
maybe i should try them out some day.

Actually, Go West is one of their weaker songs (but makes for a nice moment in any gay bar).

Of course you are not into anything naughty like illegal downloading, but if you were, I would recommend the following:

- Violence (Hacienda Version)
- I want a dog
- Flamboyant
- Minimal
- Being boring

And maybe the best love-song of all time: Liberation

Also, this must be one of the most brilliant album covers of all time. And it hasn't even got Justin Timberlake on it. I quite like the bandname as well and the music is sickeningly brilliant. Yes.

Sal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munan wrote:

Of course you are not into anything naughty like illegal downloading, but if you were, I would recommend the following...

thx. of course i'm not, but if i were i would check them out even today.

as for the Foetus, yes, it doesn't have Justin, but it has a Soviet soldier instead! that's almost as cool!

and one more from me. maybe that's because i listened to it last night, but isn't this a brilliant cover of a brilliant album?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: