Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
PS3 Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Video games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robot Chicken Koko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: PS3 Thread Reply with quote

In the console wars, it seems Sony is about to lose its precious lead. This to me is well deserved. Sony is doing so many things wrong with their gaming console. Sony believes that making their system more expensive will give it a better reputation than the other next gen systems. Obviously, when people go for X360s or Wiis, they'll regret making something so outrageously expensive. Sony has also decided to change the way games they make are sold. Instead of selling the game, they sell the rights to play the game and have decided to make it illegal to trade or sell your used game after you're finished with it. The PS3 will also make the X360 seem reliable. The cpu inside the PS3 when produced may end up with less than seven out of 8 cores working to truly bring out the graphics capabilities of this system. Over time, testing of the cpu reveals that some of these cores stop working randomly. Either you probably buy a PS3 with a weak cpu or it loses its processing power. The PS3 will be beset with hardware problems, and now they're losing sole console-ship of games like GTA and others. Personally, I'm saving my cash for a Wii. I don't have to buy a HDTV, so I can afford it, and the Wii will have Mario and backwards compatibility thank god. Let's see how it all turns out. I predict the X360 comes in 1st, followed by the Wii, and then in a distant third, the PS3.
Smiley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that Sony will use Blu-Ray DVD technology. No one else will be able to support this format.

Anyone remember Betamax? Mindiscs? Sony hasn't exaactly blown anyone's doors off by introducing proprietary media into the world of electronic entertainment. They sure don't learn from their mistakes.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the PS3 is going to go the way of the dodo.

First of all I'm not being bombarded with news about it the way the Wii or 360 had. The 360 was well publicized, not too outlandish, and didn't get it hopes up too much, except for saying that it will be a complete revolution. The Wii had such an amusing name and announcement that it was inevitable that the word would spread. The PS3 doesn't seem to have met anywhere near that kind of publicity. I'm not a fan of console news, or consoles in general, but that supports my point. Even without actively being involved I heard alot more about the Wii and 360 than I had the PS3. Sony is really getting its ass kicked right now.

Second the specs are outrageous, I mean, c'mon, eight cores? For a game console? Games aren't coming out with support for that many cores anytime soon, and what's the use of multitasking numerous programs on a frikken game console? Not to mention that this is all for the graphics, graphics for crying out loud! What I want is gameplay! Can the PS3 run AI that can actually outsmart the player himself? Can the PS3 actively debug itself should the game or console come up on any troubles? Can the PS3 actively search/test for ways to enhance the way it runs to improve performance? I thought not. Those would be actual improvements, and are totally possible with today's technology.

Third, it IS a ruddy game console, don't spout shit Sony, it's not going to replace my home entertainment system, or my computer, or cure cancer. People will not but it to watch movies, check email, and attend to their second lives on web comic forums. It's going to sit next to the actual home entertainment system, and the family/friends are going to sit together and kick virtual ass on it.

As I said before, I'm not really a fan of consoles. I prefer books to handhelds, the PS3 looks like it's going to go right down the pipes, the Wii is a joke in terms of design and control, and the 360 is going to be bested on all fronts by the PC thanks to Microsoft's very own Windows Vista.* However this is all my opinion (especially concerning the Wii), and I do see the point of game consoles, they bring gaming to the masses, but Iím not exactly a man of the masses.

*Windows Vista will introduce many gaming features found only on the Xbox and 360, such as matchmaking, which has been a little shitty on the PC without third-party software. Not only that, but Vista games can be compatible with the Xbox Live network. Yes, you read right, PC userís can and will face off against Xbox users on the same servers. Tremble and despair, petty console mortals, the Panda Shogun will come to your Halo 2 sanctums and tea-bag all of you fools.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, great post

one note though: im not sure the procesor in the ps3 has 8 cores, like a core 2 duo has 2. It has 8 "things." Whatever I read I can't exactly remember, but it said something like the cpu is shit. And stuff. Hope that's clear.
Teber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too expensive. I'd rather wait for it to be mass-produced. Then I may get one.
Frost

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_Says wrote:
Tremble and despair, petty console mortals, the Panda Shogun will come to your Halo 2 sanctums and tea-bag all of you fools.

Yah, except for the fact that Halo 2 won't be one of the games that is compatible together. Unfortunate...

. . . Because I would totally whoop your ass! Twisted Evil
-- Zapp Brannigan
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait what? FUCK!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Video games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: