Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
FIFA World Cup 2006
    page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which country are you cheering for this year?
Pandaria
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Magical Communist Nation of Cleavage
72%
 72%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 11

Simon_Says

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: FIFA World Cup 2006 Reply with quote

What, nobody made a topic about FIFA yet?

Fucking sad, FIFA's supposed to be bigger than the Olympics! Or Jesus.

Anyways, yeah. Post what you will.

I'm gonna go cry in a corner cause Poland was basically kicking its own ass yesterday.
Sal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they were practically on their knees, begging for mercy. damn Southern Americans don't have no mercy for the weak.

it was like WWII. well almost. the Germany game will be exactly like WWII though.

so, i will patiently see my own humblest of the humble nation leave the tournament in disgrace (fuckin 2002 deja vu), and then i'll be able to focus my supporting efforts on Italy, who has been my substitute favourite team ever since i started taking any interest in football (that is since 1990's world cup).

still, miracles happen in football. we need one on Wednesday.

also, as i said somewhere else, you surprised me, Simon.
Samy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i had me a great party with my buddies on friday. germany rocked teh game, only problem is defense, but as long as (for the first time in years) our offense is kickin it i'm not too worried (yet, since our group isn't that strong).

i'm sorry to say, but i'm looking forward to wednesday. victory would mean we're safe in the 1/8 final, which would mean that yet again there's something to be celebrated!
Munan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't too thrilled by yesterday's match against the non-existent country of Serbia-Montenegro. Although the Netherlands won, it wasn't overly convincing. We should be able to beat Cote d'Ivoire but I'm shivering for our run down with Argentinia.

My other favourite country, Sweden, performed a catastrophy, playing 0-0 against Trinidad. I watched it with some Swedes and everybody agreed the team was incredibly weak. It was funny though, to see how Sweden was absolutely devastated with the 0-0 result, whereas Trinidad seemed to regard it as an absolute victory...

link: FIFA
Sal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think, Munan, you might be underrating the Ivory Coast. the way they played against Argentina (who are incredibly strong, as they showed it), their ambition and unbelievable physical agility - the Dutch can be in trouble against them. the more so since they showed nothing special against the former Yugoslavia.

anyway, i saw Ivory Coastians for the first time then, and i was really impressed. sure, they lack in tactics and discipline, but their potential seems enormous.

anyway, Italy kick off their campaign today. can't wait.
Munan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, as you can read in my previous post, I wasn't particulary impressed by the way the Dutch team performed against Serbia Montenegro either - I just meant that in theory they should be able to beat Ivory Coast.
Complex_Number_States
banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta admit, I was rooting for TyT vs. Sweden.

And for a Carribean team to tie a Scandinavian team was a victory. That just goes to show you the state of the sport in the two regions.

And the US got pwned by Czech Republic. Crap crap crap.

I was hoping we would live up to at least some of the hype.

What if the 4th dimension became lava? You could map our physical location with the coordinates: X, Y, Z, and ARRRRG SO HOT, IT'S SO HOT
- Chloeee
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What hype?

From what I know, Americans generally give jack shit about football (soccer), they root for a game of their own invention, which they eloquently christened "football".

Those who do appreciate real football are usually only the few, the proud, the ones I actually admire.

Sorry if I seem a little anti-american, but three words: Kyoto, NAFTA, and Iraq.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_Says wrote:

Sorry if I seem a little anti-american, but three words: Kyoto, NAFTA, and Iraq.

Well, if you involve those in a discussion about football, your anti-Americanism becomes a little ridiculous, to tell you the truth.
Sal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, but it has changed, hasn't it? the Americans, to the best of my knowledge, start to appreciate "real" football more and more, and the level of the national team has grown considerably too. they demonstrated it four years ago, advancing to the q-finals, thanks entirely to their abilities and not to referees' blatant help (as was the case with South Koreans).

i actually expected US Team to be a tougher opponent for Czechs. but then again, Czechs are one of the world's best squads today, although still strangely underappreciated.

anyway, Italy's toughness and discipline fortunately was enough for the Ghanians, but if they don't start playing twice as good soon, they got nothing to look for in the Czech encounter.
Sal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, the moment of truth today.

if God has scheduled a miracle for tonight, Poland actually has a chance.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Praying*

Munan wrote:
Simon_Says wrote:

Well, if you involve those in a discussion about football, your anti-Americanism becomes a little ridiculous, to tell you the truth.

Oh poop.

*EDIT*

Post-game report: I fell on my knees. What the fuck were the Pols doing? Were they afraid to get their shirts wet and dirty? Were they afraid to pull a tendon or two? Why the fuck did that moron have to nab himself a red card?

The Pols weren't even playing. A tie would be good, but the Germans play to the last second, why did the Pols drop thier guard in the last minute?

I am disgusted.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, so apparently it wasn't the miracle day last night.
you owe us one, God...

theoretically, if Costarica beats Ecuador, then Germany beats Ecuador, and Poland beats Costarica.... ahhh, nevermind.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will never happen man.

Poland is fucked over this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allright, i may draw some aggravation with this, but if yesterday's match had ended 0:0, then it could only be due to some colossal mistake of the football gods. i thought poland would put up a good fight since they needed the win, this was pretty much their final. what did they do? they barricaded themselves into their own half, depending on counters resulting from the relentless attack of the german team. i think poland showed a pretty weak game yesterday, and the way the game went it ought to have been 4:0, not 1:0
Munan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Agreed.

You know, it would be typically Dutch to underestimate Ivory Coast and loose tonight's match. I must say I'm actually pretty nervous at the moment...

Sweden gave me almost a heart-attack, however, in an incredibly slow match. I was happy with the fact they pulled themselves together and beat Paraguay, but why did they have to wait untill the last minute with that?! But luckily, it's now likely they'll not end up shamefully stranded in the first round.
Sal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samy wrote:
allright, i may draw some aggravation with this, but if yesterday's match had ended 0:0, then it could only be due to some colossal mistake of the football gods. i thought poland would put up a good fight since they needed the win, this was pretty much their final. what did they do? they barricaded themselves into their own half, depending on counters resulting from the relentless attack of the german team. i think poland showed a pretty weak game yesterday, and the way the game went it ought to have been 4:0, not 1:0

you speak the truth, friend. you speak the truth.
what gives me some last scrap of faith in my team is that the keeper - who was brilliant, you must admit - said exactly the same thing as you. and this was a solitary voice of reason amidst the 'it's-ambition-that-counts-and-we-had-no-luck-again' choir. which pisses me off.

@Munan: i've never seen Swedes that weak. i'll be surprised if they survive the grup stage.
Munan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're right actually. I might be influenced by reading all the swedish newspapers who are really stressing Sweden's chances.

However, it is a known fact that the team that wins the finale often performed weakly in the early stages of the championships.

Or maybe I'm just hoping against all odds.
Complex_Number_States
banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again I was rooting for TyT against England. But the relentless attacks and wild counters were just not gonna do it. And then Beckham served up that tremendous cross, and the way tall guy just had to tap it in.

Beckham, whom it is hard to take seriously from this side of the pond, what with the silly movie and Posh Spice and all, made such a perfect shot it was hard to believe. Now, it may just be my american lack of football-watching experience, but that was a beeee-yutiful shot as far as I am concerned.

And I have seen a lot of football for an American my age. I went to a private high school where we had soccer teams back in the 70s. And my town had the North American Soccer League championship team one year in the early 80s.

So, while I haven't seen a lot of football games compared to those of you who live in countries where football receives real attention, I have seen more than most of my neighbors.

Like any of you care! Very Happy

What if the 4th dimension became lava? You could map our physical location with the coordinates: X, Y, Z, and ARRRRG SO HOT, IT'S SO HOT
- Chloeee
Munan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WE WON!! WE WON!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!

that was one thriller of a match!!!
Azrael

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was. I was watching it in awe. And then I was like: "Wow!" at the end.

Married to SpideyGirl.
Sal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sooooooo disappointed with the Ivory Coast. they were playing their do-or-die match and they looked like they didn't care at some points. chaotic attacks, no ambition, and no will to fight. the Dutch played smart, disciplined Yurpian ball and once again it proved too much for Africa.
and Ecuador decided not to help Poland and they defeated Costarica easily. well, they are a good team, i think we can expect more surprises from them.

complexnumbers wrote:
Beckham, whom it is hard to take seriously from this side of the pond, what with the silly movie and Posh Spice and all, made such a perfect shot it was hard to believe.

well, that's exactly what his reputation grew upon, years before he became the Spice Boy, teenage-idol/fashion-icon. he once was indeed a tremendous player with the best cross pass around.

complexnumbers wrote:
Like any of you care! Very Happy

we care a lot! and it's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it... Very Happy
Munan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, in the end Ivory Coast was a serious thread. I don't think the Netherlands played as good as they should - they certainly didn't rule the match.

Also, being the lazy bastards they are, they probably are not going to try and win against Argentina - expect a boring game...

But still, we won in an incredibly exciting game. Phew...
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a godo game.

But Argentina v Serbia & Montenegro was comedic, I stand that it was probably one of the best games so far this year, due to the funny factor. Six-zero, fucking hilarious.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this tournament's becoming nerve-wrecking.
Italy cannot win despite playing with one man advantage in the weirdest game so far. Czechs, who seemed a superb team last week, play like asses and are no match for Ghana. what's going on?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: