Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
An alien and pred convo
    page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Aliens, Predators, all that
View previous topic :: View next topic  
distresspattern

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, they say diet Pepsi tastes nothing like regular Pepsi.
angelusraptor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh? blurr...

vanilla coke and coke.
Dahaka

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does one get two degrees in physics?

Bachelor's + Masters
Masters + Ph.D
Bachelor's + Ph.D

Physics is the same subject as Physics so how do you get two degrees in it?
Write dissertations on two different fields of physics?

Just curious.
desert_drum

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dahaka wrote:

Physics is the same subject as Physics so how do you get two degrees in it?
Write dissertations on two different fields of physics?

Just curious.

That's one way, yes. In most fields of study, there are two different kinds of major papers you write to get your Masters and your PhD. Your Masters (usually the paper is called a thesis) can be basically a huge research paper; what they're generally looking for is synthesis, or a new way of looking at existing work on the subject. The PhD. dissertation has to be entirely new work; you still do a lot of research, but it's to make sure that you aren't duplicating someone else's work.

That's the traditional path, but it does vary depending on the school and the field you're in. My MA was all original work, because I was a Creative Writing major. 50+ pages of original poetry, and then a defense in front of a committee. I think the 18 hours immediately after my defense encompassed the most alcohol I've ever consumed at once.
Drone Daddy

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaster wrote:
In DD's defense, he claimed that he modifies pics in general, not that he modified that particular one. Also, his exact words were "I just combine the pictures with my cynicism..." which may be different from compiling pictures.

Exactly.

Holly wrote:
I think that was a joke, I don't think DD was actually claiming creation of the picture. It is pretty well known. But I'll let him chime in.

Exactly.

Thank you both. I do not and will not stake a claim to the excellent pic in my sig. Someone else's pure genious did that one. However, as my cohorts above state, it is with my own brand of bitter cynicism that I use this pic to highlight my comments on the forums. I don't take credit where it isn't due. Very Happy

As for the two degrees in physics the answer is "yes, by studying two different fields I gained them." I did my undergraduate work in astrophysics on an X-ray binary called CI-Cam and my graduate work in remote sensing.

P.S. Holly, congrats on the Haiku contest. Very Happy You deserved it!!!

Cheers,
Drone Daddy

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

urbanshawoman wrote:
I think the 18 hours immediately after my defense encompassed the most alcohol I've ever consumed at once.

Congrats on your accomplishment. I didn't do a thesis for my Masters degree myself. I instead did my research and just got my work published in two peer-reviewed journals. Either way, it's a lot of work and the brain cells you kill at the celebration party are more than worth the ones you burned out the previous lifetime. Laughing

Cheers,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Aliens, Predators, all that All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: