Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Paul Anderson should not be allowed to make franchise movies
    page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you like the RE or AVP movies?
I liked RE
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I liked AVP
41%
 41%  [ 16 ]
I liked em both
20%
 20%  [ 8 ]
I hated RE
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I hated AVP
15%
 15%  [ 6 ]
I hated both of em
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 39

Aramor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly wrote:
Don't forget Cthulhu!

Yeah uhm, I don't wanna sound like a complete idiot who pretends to know everything about sacry motherfucker's butr doesn't know jack shit about the most important one... but uhm, what is it actually? All I know is that Metallica made a song about it... I think...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Behemothic Leviathonic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly wrote:
Aramor wrote:
Behemoth, you forgot something in your sig... I'm missing the following creatures: Critters, Nocturnal Hammerheads, Tremors, Langoliers, Look-at-me-I'm-a-small-green-dino-doggie-and-I'm-gonna-eat-your-fat-ass-in-the-car-like-your-a-drivethrough-dinner Dilophosaur, Sarlacc, Rancor's, Robin Wright Penn, Screamers, Robocop and a Terminator (preferably a T-800)...

Don't forget Cthulhu!

Shocked AAHHH! How could I forget Cthulhu!...

Thank you Aramor and Holly Razz

Alien VS Predator VS Species VS The Thing VS The Polymorph VS The Terminator VS Cthulhu VS Critters VS Tremors VS Nocturnal Hammerheads
Aramor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I looked up what Ktulu is. It's cool... yeah...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Behemothic Leviathonic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor wrote:
Ok, I looked up what Ktulu is. It's cool... yeah...

I've heard that you should vomit whilst saying his name to pronounce it correctly. Ahhh, the wonders of the WotC Message Boards... Razz

Alien VS Predator VS Species VS The Thing VS The Polymorph VS The Terminator VS Cthulhu VS Critters VS Tremors VS Nocturnal Hammerheads
Aramor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah well, I use the second pronounciation: Ktoo-loo

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Behemothic Leviathonic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor wrote:
Yeah well, I use the second pronounciation: Ktoo-loo

Or you could do that... killjoy... Razz

I really hope Mr. Anderson doesn't ever make any Silent Hill films. That would set the apocalypse into motion... Evil or Very Mad

RobinHood3000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, never saw any of the Resident Evil movies, nor do I plan to; I'm a fan of neither zombie movies nor survival horror games.

I am, however, a fan of the Alien and Predator franchises (the latter moreso) and did enjoy AvP as a movie. Subsequently, I hope you will understand my motivation for its defense; I've spent way too much time for my own good rebutting PAvP "Board Guest" Anderson-haters, so please forgive and correct me if I overgeneralize. All I want's a healthy debate, not a flame war (please?).

Before I address anything else, there's the PG-13 thing to be sorted out. Paul Anderson did NOT shoot for a PG-13, and expressed a great deal of surprise with the ratings folks when they gave it to him. Regardless, I fail to see how a PG-13 rating reflects at all poorly on the movie. I challenge anyone to find more reasons why the movie should be rated R than why it should be PG-13.

Then there's the killing off of the first two Predators. Certainly, it's not that great that Gill never got to use those HUMONGOUS armblades, but I imagine that the Alien fans would probably be up in arms were it not for Grid kicking that much butt. Plus, the original script was for five rather than three Predators, but I believe the last two got canned for production reasons (Fox's problem, not Paul Anderson's).

Overall, I thought AvP was a decent movie. Certainly, it's no classic or genre-shifter, but like the original poster said, it's an excellent popcorn flick, and opens the way up for a potentially excellent sequel (I hear that this time, it's all-out war Very Happy ).

...cliiiiiiiiiick...
Behemothic Leviathonic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobinHood3000 wrote:
Eh, never saw any of the Resident Evil movies, nor do I plan to; I'm a fan of neither zombie movies nor survival horror games.

I am, however, a fan of the Alien and Predator franchises (the latter moreso) and did enjoy AvP as a movie. Subsequently, I hope you will understand my motivation for its defense; I've spent way too much time for my own good rebutting PAvP "Board Guest" Anderson-haters, so please forgive and correct me if I overgeneralize. All I want's a healthy debate, not a flame war (please?).

Before I address anything else, there's the PG-13 thing to be sorted out. Paul Anderson did NOT shoot for a PG-13, and expressed a great deal of surprise with the ratings folks when they gave it to him. Regardless, I fail to see how a PG-13 rating reflects at all poorly on the movie. I challenge anyone to find more reasons why the movie should be rated R than why it should be PG-13.

Then there's the killing off of the first two Predators. Certainly, it's not that great that Gill never got to use those HUMONGOUS armblades, but I imagine that the Alien fans would probably be up in arms were it not for Grid kicking that much butt. Plus, the original script was for five rather than three Predators, but I believe the last two got canned for production reasons (Fox's problem, not Paul Anderson's).

Overall, I thought AvP was a decent movie. Certainly, it's no classic or genre-shifter, but like the original poster said, it's an excellent popcorn flick, and opens the way up for a potentially excellent sequel (I hear that this time, it's all-out war Very Happy ).

AVP was admittedly one of his better films, your of course entitled to your own oppinion. I just hope he doesn't take on something he hasn't got the directorial skill to take on, aka as i've already said 'Silent Hill'.

SilentXeno

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AvP was just stupid... and uncomplete...
I'm not going to say that Paul Anderson can't make a movie, but I hate him for destroying the alien franchise...

Welcome to me! Smile
RobinHood3000

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did he destroy the Alien franchise? He didn't do anything to screw up the storyline, and relatively little (if anything) regarding the mythos.

...cliiiiiiiiiick...
Holly Resurrected

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, technically he did a lot wrong when it comes to the whole Predator mythos, but I don't know what he did wrong regarding Aliens. That's all pretty simple and spelled out. They lay eggs, they facehug, they burst, they grow up, they die. With the Predator stuff it's way more complicated, they've got a culture and ritutals and free wills and all that, you have to study up and know what you're doing before you can write them. It's clear from the movie and the commentary that Anderson really didn't understand the yautja, he'd basically taken some elements from the original AVP comic and Prey and written another story around it that doesn't follow the same rules. For instance, Prey specifically states that the unblooded warriors are not allowed to hunt humans until they've proven themselves by bagging a xeno. Yet the unbloodeds have human skulls with them when they show up. Anderson seems to think that they start small and work their way up, and even suggested in the commentary that the original Predator was actually even younger than a teenager, because he was hunting "easier" prey. In actuality, it's harder to hunt humans because they shoot back. The original Pred was in fact a blooded who was experienced enough to go on solo hunts, without need for a leader. He didn't have a mark on his forehead because when they made the movie they hadn't come up with all the "blooding" stuff yet. That came later with the comics.

Blah blah blah. I like AVP, it's a lot of fun, but it does screw with canon pretty badly.

Still internet married to Tripper.
RobinHood3000

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the contrary; comics don't qualify as canon--movies do.

Human skulls=possible good luck charm from family members. Just because he has 'em doesn't mean he hunted them.

Paul Anderson may have had a minor misconception regarding the Predator mythos with the comparison of the original Predator and the teen ones in this movie, but so long as it doesn't affect the movie, no big deal. I was of the opinion that these three teens were more than capable of hunting humans (as they proved in the post-intro action), and could be on either side of the age range of the original Predator (who only had two weapons). Conceivably, the P1 Predator could have been dishonored and kicked out, could be a preteen on a joyride, could be an adult in retirement on a hunting trip (in which case, the lack of a mark can be explained by the possibility that he belongs to a different clan than the AvP Preds)...there's a multitude of ways one can make a comparison, and all of them work in the context of the movies.

Oh, and Aliens are generally regarded as tougher prey than humans because they don't panic, can see through camouflage, aren't fazed by voice-modulation, and are always armed.

...cliiiiiiiiiick...
Aramor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Pred in P1 was one of the Pred's that came to earth in the space ship in P2. In the beginning of P1 you see a spaceship that launches something which goes to our planet...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Holly Resurrected

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobinHood3000 wrote:
On the contrary; comics don't qualify as canon--movies do.

You're right, wrong term to use. What I mean is semi-established. It may not be "official" in the same way the movies are, but there there, lots of people have read them, and if you're going to do a movie based on them, you should read them too. The AVP comic and Prey are like the bible for all the stuff that came afterwards. Maybe it's just my love of the books but I wish Anderson had read them and at least followed their rules.

RobinHood3000

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the Pred in P1 being the compatriot to those in P2: conceivable, but there really isn't anything to suggest it. The thing that was dropped off in the opening sequence of P1 was probably a landing pod similar to those in AvP.

True, comics are semi-established as a part of the AvP community, but they are secondary to the movies. You may have a point regarding whether Paul Anderson read the comics as thoroughly as he should have, but then, different people can interpret the same media very differently. Either way, the movie's made, and whether or not you like the plot, the fight scenes are EXCELLENT Very Happy.

...cliiiiiiiiiick...
Holly Resurrected

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobinHood3000 wrote:
Either way, the movie's made, and whether or not you like the plot, the fight scenes are EXCELLENT Very Happy.

I'm with ya on that.

angelusraptor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly wrote:
RobinHood3000 wrote:
Either way, the movie's made, and whether or not you like the plot, the fight scenes are EXCELLENT Very Happy.

I'm with ya on that.

agreed. i just wished that the first pred didn't get killed off so quicky.
Bounty

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fight scenes? what fight scenes? celtic vs grid, and scar vs queen. thats it.

unless we are counting scar shooting a bunch of aliens with relatively no problem, and the massacre of the hired help at the station.
I am SO going to Hell...
Holly Resurrected

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yeah, one of the problems is lack of fight scenes, as I said in one of the other threads, but what there is of it, I liked.

angelusraptor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what me, holly and robinhod3000 are saying is that the fight scenes, though limited, are rather fabulous. we're commenting on the quality, dude.

but yeah, agreed. too little fight scenes. too much talking. though it sheds light to the plotline.
Aramor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there's gonna be a trilogy and Anderson is gonna do like the Wachowskis... first movie lot's of talk and good, but few action scenes, second movie still lot's a talking but with more action scenes, third movie lot's of action scenes and hardly any good talking... yeah

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
RobinHood3000

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, hope springs eternal... Wink

...cliiiiiiiiiick...
Predator_the_Huntress

Location: Hunting....or writing...........or being mauled by kids at camp.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, Paul killed the movie. I read the book first, fo i was really dissapointed. There was 5 preds in the book. FIVE!!! Not three. FIVE!!!! WTF PAUL? You killed the movie! I was waiting for it too! I was hoping for non-stop violent battles between them. Like, AvP feturing the humans as they flee in terror, or something! My stories with them working together are more violent! Repetitive, But violence none the less! Twisted Evil grrrr
RobinHood3000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, do you have any earthly idea how hard it is to find even 1 stunt guy who can fill the suit, look good, move properly, and not feel claustrophobic, much less five? They only had one guy (Ian Whyte) over 7 feet tall to shove in a Pred suit, and they had to shuffle him back and forth between different Preds as well as use unconventional camera angles so that the other two didn't look puny by comparison.

...cliiiiiiiiiick...
Aramor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the love of ducktape... I'll tell you what I think about all these people, verbally killing Paul... what's the use. The movie has been made. You're only annoying me with it (which is ofcourse the most important thing in your life Wink j/k). And what's the chance Paul is gonna go to this site and read all the shit you are saying about him and make AvP2 the blockbuster of the century?

That's my opinion about it ofcourse. Now I know that my opinion doesn't mean jack shit around here (Razz), but hey, if you guys (and girls) are gonna spill your guts about something, I'm gonna do it too... and I warn you, my guts are covered in acidic blood, just like in A:R...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: