Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Pred-Tech
    page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Aliens, Predators, all that
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Pred-Tech Reply with quote

Hey, I'm John. I'm new here but I've been a fan of both film franchises for a long time. I was wondering about the Yautja Technology. In Predator One, we see the Yautja has thermal vision, with a shoulder cannon and a neat little bomb-in-the-arm device. In Predator Two we saw that the Yautja had many vision types and even more gadgets, as seen in the games. Does anyone else know of any other technology the Yautja's use?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ganador

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: moof? Reply with quote

Yautja? thats a term ive never heard before, must be from one of the comic that are so far gone its considered fanfiction X.x

anyhow, they each have some similar toys, but one thing about them is that they each also make their own. thats the whole point. kinda like.. uh.. cub scouts?

your learn about microtechnology, and build your own weaponry. they arent just provided with it. theyd come to earth naked if they were expecting that. every single things they wear, is self made. you learn how, and you fend for yourself.

thats the reason why they each have slightly different styles of weapons.
RobinHood3000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, "Yautja" is the official species term for the Predator. Not sure who derived it or from where, but it's widely acknowledged by even the canon purists.

The technology that the Yautjas use is strictly based on what's been seen in the films. A good AvP (the video game) website should give you an idea of what the Predator armament entails, minus that energizer thing.

There's also the stuff that the Predators have in AvP (the movie), such as the Pred-shuriken, wrist-mounted netgun, extra-long wristblades, dual armblades, wrist-mounted flechette launcher, and (for the first time) a detachable nuclear suicide device. It's like buying a new action figure.

...cliiiiiiiiiick...

Last edited by RobinHood3000 on Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Aramor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Preds alreadt had the detachable nuclear suicide device. They just didn't have the urge to detach it.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Inkmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That always did confuse me a bit about AvP. I had always thought that the preds felt that, if you can't finish the hunt, kill yourself. It kinda defeats the purpose of the hunt to just blow up the whole damn building.

'Course, he wasn't exactly losing when he set up the bomb... if anything he gave himself a bit of a handicap by throwing on a time limit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the preds' have had cool tech for a while. They had all the same equipment in aztec times, so a change would be imminent.
Rook

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: moof! ":}~ Reply with quote

youtja... youtcha... yar O.o

i nuclear thingy.. shuriken.... yah... i prefer to stay away from the terms the action figure guys made up. ill stick to what the original liscenced writers wrote ;)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wrist-bladesRus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Predators have an honor code that they follow, kinda like samurai, so when they are deafeted they kill themselves, and hopefully their enemy too.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.planetavp.com/avp2/species/predator/

Under equipment and weapons.

It's relitively easy to understand how most of the devices could work in real-life.

The plasma weapons are feasible. You just need to find a way around the power-requirments, heat-dissipation, and accuracy.
Plasma is bascily hot, ionized gas. The stuff could melt just about anything. However, you're gonna need some huge battery packs (not a problem if the Predator can nuke itself, why not use fusion AAA duracels?.) If you couldn't get rid of the excess heat, the plasma caster itself would melt, but heavy electromagnetic fields and maybe a portable refrigerator could solve the issue.
Despite what alot of science fiction writers want you to beleive, plasma weapons would have a difficult time getting out of the 'short-range weapon' definition. The gas would disipate very quickly, doing almost no harm. Contain it in some kind of field? Nope, how the hell can you make a bubble of electromagnetic force that self-sustains without link from the weapon until it hits a target at least the density of water? The best way would be to increase plasma bolt speed (so it can hit the target before dissipating), cool the plasma down (therefore loosing a bit of the kick), and making the plasma bolt way denser (so it last longer, but you'll need stronger magnetic fields.)
So the Predator films are scientifically flawed. The bolt travels pretty damn slow, by comparison to bullets. You want the bolt to travel at least as fast as the bullets, and probably faster.

The energy sift. How the hell does this thing work? Basicly a disco and you're ready to go. I can't even begin to analyze how this thing could even begin to work. I challenge all peoples who read this post to find a valid explanation.
Please, whatever you're going to say on this must be reasnoble within the field of known physics, must work on paper, and must be at least marginally applicable for a machine a Predator can carry. Remember you can use miniturazation, ustilize heavy power requirments within the nuclear range. Meta-physical pseudoscience theories, such as using meta-space, exotic matter, and quantum mechanics are prohibited. Meta-space is basicly the alternate dimensions of the universe, such as the popular sub-space and hyper-space. Exotic matter would include hyper-matter, anti-matter, negative matter, dark matter, etc. Quantum physics is a difficult subject to work on, as most people don't even understand what the hell it is, or how to view it, including me. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a big Yautja fan (from Finnland... Shocked ) and like to comment a theory to the energy shift:
My fren thinks that it has a ability to "suck" heat or other kinds of energy from the air and transfer it to elektricity.

PS. sorry for my crappy english...
Aramor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon Says, ever thought of this: Pred's are extra terrestrial... you're explaining alien technology using earth stuff. That's the best part of sci-fi. When somebody sais some technology could never work you just say "Duh, it's from another planet, they found a way too make it work."

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Holly Resurrected

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but the shiftsuits work on earth, so they have to follow earth physics rules. If it only worked on their home world, that would be another thing.

Still internet married to Tripper.
Aramor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah well, I was talking about the plasma caster.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor: Maybe you don't realize but the laws of physics are the same in the entire known universe. I know it's extra-terrestrial, that doesn't change a thing. The same laws still apply. You don't control a plasma caster's temperature, it's gonna melt.

I said it myself, plasma weaponry is possible by our knowledge of science. Just very difficult, by our standards. What's 'difficult' to an inter-stellar civilization that cloaks? Kindergarten that's what.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, make up your mind. First you say that it's impossible, then you say that it's easy for them to make it.

And how do you know the laws of physic are all the same in the known universe? Have you, or anybody else for that matter bin to every place in the known universe? And who sais Pred's come from the known universe?

And besides, it's sci-fi. I don't hear anybody complaining about stuff in Star Wars/Trek that shouldn't be possible.

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Blaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that the laws of physics are invariant under spatial translation is a consequence of the law of conservation of momentum just as the fact that the laws of physics are invariant under temporal translation is the result of the law of conservation of energy.

In other words, Aramor, we do know these law are the same in another part of the universe. The idea is that extraterrestials have a better understanding of these laws and are able to produce more advanced machines. As Holly astutely pointed out, the notion that these devices are only possible due to the existence of a world that plays by different rules is an erroneous one, as these devices clearly work on the Earth.

Whoa....I think I need more punctuation. Shocked
Blaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I believe that any explanation of an energy sift device would necessarily involve quantum mechanics, though I would still like to hear a good one as well.
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor, the word feasible means possible. I never said this stuff was impossible. The plasma weapon would just be difficult to build, and the energy sift, well, who knows how exactly it works. I know my posts are big, but please read through carefully before replying.

Blaster, you are right. I don't think there's an explanation for the energy sift that's exclusively classical physics. I said the use was prohibited.

Okay, contest update, when I say prohibited, I mean you better well know what they hell you're talking about. We don't want somthing that bitch slaps real sicence.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon Says, I did read through your entire post. But it's a 414 words long (not inlcuding the link) post, and feasible is the 23rd word (again, not including the link)... so... anyhoo, let's not start nit-picking too much now Laughing

I just think that the Pred's did find a way too make sure of all the things you said were really hard to accomplish. And I mean that just because on earth it might seem hard, some alien race might have no problems with it at all... and that's what I mean with "It's sci-fi". The laws of physics might be the same all the time, but certain aliens might be affected by them differently then we are. I reckon...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
amyltrer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u know, this situation is quite paradoxal ----------despite their advanced technology the predators are acting like silly creatures that's why they're defeated by humans and aliens
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor: Be careful what you type. "The laws of physics affect them differently?" I'm pretty sure you didn't mean that. Okay I think we can stop nitpicking now.

Amyltrer: Look at it from the pred's point of view. To them we must look like complete dumbasses. We kill each other daily, we're soaking up the planets resources like mad, and so far the US and Russia have enough nuclear weapons to wipe out all life on the planet 100 times over, and we can all agree that humans have pretty twitchy trigger fingers. We have been killing off our planet since the dawn of civilization and we're already capable of withstanding alien attack within a few thousand years. Isn't it a bit paradoxial that we can keep ourselves from being wiped out when we are wiping ourselves out?

If you say we still cannot stand up against alien attack, I suggest you concider this. A century ago we would have been plomped on our asses within hours or days if we were invaded. Now we have nukes, and suddenly our chances of survival are more in our favor.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of an compelling reason to believe that it would be easier to construct a plasma caster on another planet than it would be on earth. The more plausible explanation is that the preds have just advanced further technologically.
Aramor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_Says wrote:
Aramor: Be careful what you type. "The laws of physics affect them differently?" I'm pretty sure you didn't mean that. Okay I think we can stop nitpicking now.

What the hell is wrong with that? Did you ever encounter an alien? Did you read somewhere that all aliens are exactly like humans? What makes you think that every species in the entire friggin black void is exactly the same as us? I refuse to believe that all aliens are affected the same way to the laws of physics as humans. You're thinking too human, who knows what is out there in the galaxy? There must be a gazillion species that exist out of stuff we couldn't even dream off...

But let's stop nitpicking...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
amyltrer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon Says, i haven't meant to a general situation. in both predator movies, at the end , when fights with Dutch or Harrison, the creature is acting like it would be retarded. in predator it throws it's plasmacaster down instead to kill his prey. in predator2 it goes straight into the F.B.I. trap.
yes, u are right, with the actual technology humans have no chance in a war with yatuja.
But aliens have . Imagine the continuation of the AvP-what will happen in preds ship with that predalien there Mr. Green ..... or if aliens will get on predators planet........
Aramor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amyltrer wrote:
Simon Says, i haven't meant to a general situation. in both predator movies, at the end , when fights with Dutch or Harrison, the creature is acting like it would be retarded. in predator it throws it's plasmacaster down instead to kill his prey. in predator2 it goes straight into the F.B.I. trap.
yes, u are right, with the actual technology humans have no chance in a war with yatuja.
But aliens have . Imagine the continuation of the AvP-what will happen in preds ship with that predalien there Mr. Green ..... or if aliens will get on predators planet........

If I remember correctly, the Pred thought it already won. It just wanted to make the hunt more interesting by only using it's Wrist Blades against good oll I'll Be Back... it didn't know Dutch was resourcefull enough to put the big friggin log in the tree.
In Predator 2, the Pred had no idea there was a trap... but when he was in there, he managed to escape alive 'n kickin'... the way he escaped shows that he wasn't retarded... AT ALL...

I think the PredAlien would get his hybrid ass whooped... big time... twice... I mean, there's like an invasion army of Pred's on that ship... Scar was able to take on a Queen... I think the Pred's on board the ship can take on one PredAlien. If not, I'm deeply disappointed...
And if Aliens would get on the Pred's homeplanet... no problem. A planet full of Pred's. I reckon they would have some sort of army... it would completely kick ass. I mean, you saw what shit the Pred's pack when going hunting. Well, do we use the same stuff for hunting as we use in the army? Hell no. The Pred army (if it exists) is heavily armed... armed to the mandibles Wink

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Aliens, Predators, all that All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: