Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Superman Returns
    page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QueenofEville

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Superman Returns Reply with quote

The Official Website of Superman Returns is now up on the web.

There's no teaser trailer yet, but you can see pictures of the new supes, and there's some buddy icons and desktops to download.

Oh, and 22 clips from Bryan Singer's on-set video diary. Oi. I'm too lazy to watch.

So, who else is as excited and terrified about this movie as I am?
siliconsara

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of that rumor that they are going to remake Predator.

God dammit! *fwaps Hollywood on the nose with a rolled up newspaper* STOP THAT. Stop remaking movies, it started to get annoying after the Bad News Bears remake. Plz? Prty plz?
Holly Resurrected

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sē wrote:
This reminds me of that rumor that they are going to remake Predator.

God dammit! *fwaps Hollywood on the nose with a rolled up newspaper* STOP THAT. Stop remaking movies, it started to get annoying after the Bad News Bears remake. Plz? Prty plz?

It got annoying after the Planet Of The Apes remake, and probably way before that. Fucking hell. What's the matter with people, anyway? No Kevin Peter Hall = NO PREDATOR REMAKE!! I love Ian White and all, but he's no Kevin.

Still internet married to Tripper.
daniel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman Returns is a sequel, not a remake. I'm not sure if I wouldn't even prefer a straight remake, Batman Begins style.

...but why in handy would they make a Predator remake? Why not just make another sequel?
siliconsara

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daniel wrote:

...but why in handy would they make a Predator remake? Why not just make another sequel?

This is my take on it, quoted from a database backup I have (which is why there might be weird text in it and br tags):

Quote:
Why remake something that was recently done? 1987 isn't that long ago.&nbsp; And to top it off, it's an American movie being remade by Americans, so it's not like Hollywood is &quot;importing&quot; a Japanese horror film for American audiences.<br /><br />I feel like Fox is trying to just milk the cash cow again and god forbid, they will probably shoot for a PG-13 rating just so the preteens can watch this version.<br /><br />I don't get it.&nbsp; Why mess with something that is good the way it is now?&nbsp; Knowing them, I think Fox is trying to cover up Paul Anderson's blunders with the Yautja mythos he missed in AVP, so Fox is backtracking and remaking the first Predator movie so it &quot;fits&quot; with AVP as well as with the comics that were made after the first Pred movie was released.&nbsp; They might be trying to actually create a canon universe that fits together and thus setting the stage for future movies such as AVP2 and P3 (if P3 is ever made! *grumble*).<br /><br />I see more harm than good coming from this.&nbsp; Lets hope this is just a rumor...unless if any of you can convince me otherwise that this might actually be good for the Predator canon universe and just for the Predator fandom in general...

But I could be wrong...although the "moneymoneymoney$$$" scenario is starting to make more sense.
daniel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have thought they'd be that desperate to realign the continuity with AvP... it's not as if anyone liked AvP.

In fact, the answer now becomes obvious: They should remake AvP.
siliconsara

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I liked AVP, but I am not offended. There are a lot of things I would of changed in the movie, but it was the sub text that I mainly liked. If it didn't have the sub text, then I would of thought of the movie as boring crap.

Remaking AVP isn't a bad idea. This has been done before in cinema. Any Ringu fans out there will know what I am talking about when I speak of the monstrosity known as Rasen.
daniel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrm... could you explain some o'that subtext? I'm afraid I only really saw the boring crap.
siliconsara

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeeelll, I could probably write a 10 page essay on it. No, seriously, I could. So I am not going to get into specifics.

If one were to read the AVP novels and comic books, you would see the sub text in plain light. There was one comic book, I think "Hell or Hot Water" or something like that, and it has a picture of a Yautja "discovering" a woman who appears to be unconscious. She is wearing a red dress if I remember correctly...it reminded me of those old horror movie flicks with the monster cradling a sexy woman in their arms. There was another comic with a woman in Japan and she was spared by a Predator, even though she was a damn good fighter and would of made a good trophy.

Even the covers of the AVP novels expressed this sub text between Yautja male and Human female. I think the "Prey" cover had Broken Tusk defending Machiko as she was sort of lying on the ground. The comic book versions of these stories show Machiko with Broken Tusk as more like partners instead of enemies.

Paul Anderson obviously did his sub text homework when it came to AVP. Even in the AVP movie book, the creators of Scar considered him to be the romantic leading male character in the story. Even his character design was reflected so the audience felt that way. They made his skin-tone more human and his eyes became like that of a Predatory human-cat with gold tones. His body also reflected the "comic book hero" as he was given a smaller head, a thinner waist and broader shoulders. Paul Anderson asked for this specifically.

They wanted to create Scar as an actual character and not some movie monster like his predecessor. He was not there for scares but as an actual actor.

That's what makes Scar a character...he choose not to kill Lex. Chopper and Celtic would of killed Lex and I have no doubt in my mind that they would...2 seconds flat, boom dead. But Scar had something for her, and as their pairing progressed, you can see how he looks at her, especially after she mercy-kills Sebastian.

And also in the novelization of the AVP movie, the book kept saying how Scar kept scanning Lex's body and how Lex had some sort of strange obsession with touching Scar or something along those lines.

In some of the first drafts of the AVP movie, the scene where Lex and Scar stand together on that cliff...there was a very valid rumor that might of even of placed a sort of kissing scene in that place in the movie. Nothing Frenchy or overly sexual, but something that would be the equivalent of a peck on the cheek.

Well, I could write more, and I can get really verbose on this subject, so I will leave it at that.
QueenofEville

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get back onto the topic of Superman...

This movie isn't a remake. It's a sequel that erases the events of the bad Superman movies (i.e. 3 & 4). The events of Superman Returns, as I've seen it explained, take place 5 years after Superman 2. Supes went into seclusion for a while and a new threat brings him out of retirement.

The only thing I'm -really- pissed off about is that Lois Lane has a child in this movie. Uh...now, I'm all about suspending disbelief, and reinventing certain aspects of a character to make it more modern, or what have you (hell, the comics do it all the time), but LOIS HAS NEVER HAD A BABY YOU ASS HATS!!!* Lois shouldn't have a baby.

*Ass hats refers to Bryan Singer et al, not to any of you reading this rant.

In any case, I can only hope that it's as good a reboot as Batman Begins was. But I'm calling myself, at best, cautiously optimistic.

Oh, and as a side note to get back off-topic, I haven't heard about a Predator remake, but I have heard that they're remaking RoboCop...

(From SciFiWire)...

Quote:
RoboCop Remake Assembling?

C.H.U.D. reported a rumor that a remake of 1987's SF satire RoboCop may be in the works. Citing an anonymous source, the site reported that producer Michael De Luca (Zathura, the Blade movies) and Sony are behind the rumored remake.

Paul Verhoeven directed the original movie, which starred Peter Weller as the cop-turned-crimefighting cyborg in a futuristic Detroit. The film spun off three sequels and a TV series.

More RoboCop Rumors Surface

Moviehole.net reported that it has confirmed the rumor posted by C.H.U.D. that a RoboCop remake film is in the works.

Citing its own anonymous source, Moviehole reported that the remake will center on a young police officer who's resurrected as a robot on the police payroll and that the movie is in the talking stages at Sony's Screen Gems.

siliconsara

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, sorry I hijacked your thread. I guess whenever someone mentions a classical superhero and "new movie" I always think of remakes. My bad ^^
daniel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm... I guess so. As I was watching it my thoughts were more like "why doesn't he kill the woman? That's lame! And as if a Predator would need a human's help anyway! Stupid movie-making people!" But yours works as well.

I don't know if Anderson really did overly care about any Predator sub-text. In every interview or anything I've seen of him, he only really seemed concerned with the Aliens and making sure if fit in with those movies - he only seemed to think of the Predators as an afterthought. (Cause AVP really don't work so good with the Predator movies). But maybe he did!
siliconsara

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daniel wrote:

I don't know if Anderson really did overly care about any Predator sub-text. In every interview or anything I've seen of him, he only really seemed concerned with the Aliens and making sure if fit in with those movies - he only seemed to think of the Predators as an afterthought. (Cause AVP really don't work so good with the Predator movies). But maybe he did!

I think he wanted to make the Aliens as the true monsters of the movie which is why he paid so much attention to them. I am thinking that he decided that the Predator characters were disposable and really only wanted one left as apart of the underlying theme of the story. It seems to me that he [Anderson] was trying to reflect a common theme among characters...

Alexa's father died when he and his daughter went climbing and he shared his last moments alive with her on her 21st birthday, so at that moment he could "die happy" because he saw his 'baby girl' grow up.

Weyland was dying of cancer, but when he discovered this pyramid he found his final calling so at that moment he could "die happy"...a person who may have discovered the missing link to human history.

And finally Scar. The main center of a Yautja male's life is to complete the hard meat trial...it's the focal point of a Yautja's life and if they fail then they might as well kill themselves, failure is not an option. Scar accomplished his task and he was blooded so at that moment he could "die happy" knowing he would die as a blooded warrior. What I thought was very interesting was that Lex was next to him when he died...most likely the same exact way her father might have died as well (with Lex next to him as he gave his final breath).

As for the Robocop remake. I heard about that. To me it could either go one way or the other...crappy or excellent. Since movie making technology has advanced so much since the original Robocop came out, there will obviously be a lot of cybernetic flashy stuff. To me, they should keep the original design of Robo's body....but knowing Hollywood, they will probably "update" his design and that to me would ruin the entire movie. I don't mind if they change his body design slightly, but to make it something completely different will ruin the magic of the original movie...and that's the point of remakes, right? To capture that magic that was seen in the original but to give it a more "eye pleasing" look with the updated CG technology.
Aramor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so going to boycot the Star Wars remakes... I mean, Harrison Ford is Han Solo... that is something that will never change...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
siliconsara

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think by the time they decide to remake the original 3 Star Wars movies, we humans will have learned to clone ourselves and they would clone the entire cast from cells from their dead bodies and then they would be the property of Fox. Poor Harrison. He better hope his body is never recovered when he dies...
Aramor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sē wrote:
Poor Harrison. He better hope his body is never recovered when he dies...

I resent that... Indiana Solo must live on!

And just for the sake of it...

I ran into this while searching a suitable pick for the Indiana Jones Kitten Fan Club Annual Parade...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Satan Crime Wash

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor wrote:
I ran into this while searching a suitable pick for the Indiana Jones Kitten Fan Club Annual Parade...

Sure you did. If by that you mean 'put Harrison ford in speedos' into an image search.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Chainsaw wrote:
Sure you did. If by that you mean 'put Harrison ford in speedos' into an image search.

Shit... they're on to me...

Nah, just kidding... he send me that pic... I mean, I don't know how it got on my harddr... oh look, a talking mutated St. Patricks Basilisk... Rolling Eyes

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
siliconsara

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor wrote:

I resent that... Indiana Solo must live on!

...in your heart. He will live on in your heart...wearing a speedo.
Munan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor wrote:
Shit... they're on to me...

They're indeed very much on to you, spanky. Now force yourself.

Why in the hell is the Kitten Liberation Army (KLA) walking around with a banner picturing Indiana Solo?!

What did he ever do against God or masturbation?

And one more question: how did the KLA end up marching into a thread on superman returns?
angelusraptor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well Munan, this is the aLp forums...
Corporal Waffle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what else.......

Razz

munan wrote:
Vevlaa, for fuck's sake, edit your damn post!!
Aramor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

munan wrote:
Why in the hell is the Kitten Liberation Army (KLA) walking around with a banner picturing Indiana Solo?!

Because the KLA is under my command... and I want them to march around with a banner picturing Indiana Solo...

munan wrote:
And one more question: how did the KLA end up marching into a thread on superman returns?

See the above answer...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
Blackmage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

munan wrote:

True answer: Aramor's here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one am looking forward to the new Superman movie. They're using archival footage of Marlon Brando as Jor-El and the teaser trailer uses John Williams's original score from the beginning of the first movie. The guy playing Clark Kent looks a lot like a young Chris Reeve. I'm real happy that Kevin Spacey is playing Luthor. He and Singer haven't worked together since The Usual Suspect and that was a great movie.

The story sounds interesting. Superman goes off-planet for five years to search for the remnants of his dead civilization, and comes back to find that Earth has moved on without him. Lois has a child, but we don't know who the father is, and the kid is, of course, five years old. Hmmmm.... At any rate, I think it will be good. I like what Singer did for the X-Men films, even if many loyalists thought they were crap. I think he did a good job translating a comic movie to film. Not as good as Sam Raimi did for Sipder-Man, but pretty decent.

Of course, I also thought Batman Begins was going to be a huge disappointment, and it ended up being my favorite movie of last year. I could be wrong again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: