Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Paul Anderson should not be allowed to make franchise movies
    page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you like the RE or AVP movies?
I liked RE
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I liked AVP
41%
 41%  [ 16 ]
I liked em both
20%
 20%  [ 8 ]
I hated RE
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I hated AVP
15%
 15%  [ 6 ]
I hated both of em
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 39

Bounty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Paul Anderson should not be allowed to make franchise movies Reply with quote

*Note This review of 2 franchises contains heavy spoilers.
I am basicly reviewing the Resident Evil movies and AVP. Not saying they werent "alright" movies, I'm saying they were made half-assed and they took too many liberties with the franchises. And Paul Anderson can't make a decent film. If you want to comment, please don't flame.

Well, Well, Well... I hate Paul Anderson as a producer, director, film maker, just as anything related to movies. He should not be in show business. Every franchise movie hes made, he's crapped on. Resident Evil was crapped on, and yes, face it, AVP was crapped on. I havnt seen RE:A but I just rented it and will watch it later tonight

STOP SHITTING ON MY FAVORITE FRANCHISES >_<

I try and try to like these movies because they are after my favorite franchise games or comics, but this guy cannot make a decent movie. I was liking AVP, until he decided to kill off 2 of the predators at nearly the very beginning, then decided to have Lex and Scar team up, then ride that trolly thing 2000 feet up. No. Just no. Lex was a bland character who decided to "tag along" when the predator should have ripped her spine out. Not saying that he should have, but I'd understand.

The overall acting in the movie (save for Lance Henrickson, who is "the man") was mostly crappy. The italian guy didn't sound right in most of his dialogue, and sounded like he fumbled through most of it.

I will say that the action scenes were great (Celtic swiniging that alien by his leg through the beams was fantastic), but other then that, it wasn't as good as it should have been. Not enough Aliens battling Predators in close quarters combat, and 1 alien succeded in killing off 2 of the predators damn near as soon as they came into contact with eachother. One died without even a fight! Excuse me, but this just REEKS of "no".

And Lex's "One ugly mother..." was the last straw.

Now, I'm not saying that AVP just flat out sucked. It is an enjoyable Pop-corn flick, but I'll be damned if they couldn't have made it a little bit better.

Well enough of that rant, onto the resident evil films.

SLOW MOTION KUNG FU AND ZOMBIES A GOOD MOVIE DOES NOT MAKE! Resident Evil was about horror, survival, flesh eating zombies and monsters... Yet this dumbass can't seem to put any blood or gore or overall adult content matter into these movies (except for some breasts by milla jovovich and a pubic shot of her at the end of the first movie). The first one: Most of the team is killed off by a lazer. LAZERS. Only one guy was mauled by zombies, and everyone else just got bit a couple times, except for spence, who got torn apart by the licker (which was sadly the bloodiest part of the movie), but even THEN, it wasn't as frightning or gory as it should have been.

he lickers graphics were complete crap, and seeing it kill spence on the monitor just proved how cheesy it looked overall. And another thing: You don't learn anyones names. Except for Matt (whom Alice yells to at the END OF THE MOVIE), Spencer, and whats-her-names boyfriend whom I cannot remember, and Kaplin. And Kaplin just "alluvasudden" dies near the end of the movie, after he became probably my favorite character, because hes the only one who knew how to farking suvive. What the hell. Shit, even the MAIN CHARACTER doesn't have a name in the first movie, unless you read the cover or go online or something to learn it.

OK, now thats mostly over, I must say this: I know hollywood takes liberties with certain franchises or so. It must be done, and I can understand it. But what I DON'T understand is when they take a certain franchise, gut it, turn it inside out, and turn it into something else. The only thing that RE had going for it that let you KNOW it was RE was the mention of the T-Virus and overall title. Thats it. I beleive that they could have made a very good movie out of the first game (read George Romero's script, its more true to RE then Anderson's films will ever hope to be), but they wanted to make it more child friendly because "Oh, its based after a veedao game Very Happy" but hey, whaddya know, they were wrong.

One thing they need to learn to do in movie to game franchises is to at least follow the plot and involve the main characters. I Know RE:A has most of the cast from RE3, but after seeing Anderson's first attempt at an RE movie, my expectations have fallen.

That concludes my rant. Please, don't flame Sad
I am SO going to Hell...
Teh Smrt 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but Uwe Boll shouldn't make movies. Period.
20xx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't necesarily hate the RE's but they just kinda got sidetracked. I wanted see zombies, killing, and guns in it, and I didn't and I was pissed. I think the only decent zombie movie I've seen recently was Dawn of the Dead.
Bounty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i completely agree, dawn of the dead and its sister Shaun of the dead ruled Smile

I can't understand how people liked 28 days later. That movie was shitty.
I am SO going to Hell...
desert_drum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bounty wrote:
I can't understand how people liked 28 days later. That movie was shitty.

I enjoyed it, actually. I also saw it on DVD, and by then was fairly warned that it wasn't really a zombie movie per se. I dig a little post-apocalyptic fun, and the twist of how the world would react if it happened in one isolated place kept my interest.

Same theory with The Village, really. Not a bad movie, but it was pitched as something it most assuredly was not, and I probably would have been pissed as a bear if I'd gone in expecting what the ads said to expect. A surprise is one thing - misrepresenting the movie is another.
20xx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Village pissed me off once I realized what was going on, It was so stupid.
desert_drum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20xx wrote:
Village pissed me off once I realized what was going on, It was so stupid.

Gee, I sense a trend here. Pardon me if I don't consider single-word dismissals of things to carry much weight, or bother with them in the future.
desert_drum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just caught the Henry's Film Corner review of AVP. I think I just witnessed a whole new defintion of "savaged." Smile
Holly Resurrected

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked AVP. *Puts hands up to ward off beer bottles and lettuce*

No, it wasn't great, and there's tons of stuff wrong with it. Every time I see it I can't help but rewrite it in my mind to the way I think it should have gone. Maybe that's why I like it, because it had potential to go right and I can ignore the stuff I didn't like. I dunno, it's hard to explain. I do wish they'd just gone with the Ryuushi plot from the novels, it would have been awesome to see Machiko and Dachande on the big screen. But they probably would have gotten Lucy Liu to play Machiko Rolling Eyes

Anyway, Paul Anderson. I liked the first MK movie, but that's mostly because I'm a shameless MK fangirl. I liked Event Horizon, but that's mostly for the gore. Never saw the RE movies, not being into the games. Heard abyssmal stuff about the second one. I guess I can say I don't hate Anderson, but the bit in the commentary of AVP where he's talking about Predator ages bugs me because it makes it clear he really didn't do his homework. He didn't read Prey or the AVP comic, or he would have known that stuff. It seems like if you're going to make a movie, you should, like, know something about what the movie's about, but maybe that's just me.

Oh, and the rated PG thing. Ugh. I shall say no more.

At least he's not Ewe Boll. Keep yer mits off of my video games, Boll. I swear if you touch Legacy Of Kain, you die.

Still internet married to Tripper.
Bounty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea i just found out hes making far cry and bloodrayne. after he took a shit on alone in the dark and house of the dead? hes gonna ruin one of the greatest FPS's ever made, and one of the most overrated games ever made.
I am SO going to Hell...
Holly Resurrected

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a great segment on Something Awful by a guy who once tried to work with him-

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2649

The guy is a fuckwit.

Bounty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boll or the guy making the article?

I vote boll.
I am SO going to Hell...
Holly Resurrected

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, yeah, Boll. Sorry.

SiL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uwe Boll shouldn't be allowed within fifty meters of a script.

At least Anderson TRIES top make it faithful to the source material - Boll just takes the name and runs.
General Grievous

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anderson should b renamed Anderscum,. He has brought shame to the good names of both Aliens AND Predators!!! Evil or Very Mad
General Grievous

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asswipe= Anderson, Paul
Asshole= Anderson, Paul
Asshead= Anderson, Paul

DOWN WIV PAUL ANDERSON!!!!! Twisted Evil

Click my sig!
Bounty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiL wrote:
Uwe Boll shouldn't be allowed within fifty meters of a script.

At least Anderson TRIES top make it faithful to the source material - Boll just takes the name and runs.

Bullshit.

Anderson makes... watchable movies. I enjoyed Soldier, and sooooooooooorta liked event horizon, but Anderson can NOT make good franchise movies.
I am SO going to Hell...
Mr. Z

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bountie's message is very, very long.

AVP was Andersons more succesfull films.
I haven't seen Res. evil but i heard that it was ok.
Bounty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning: this post contains gratuitis swearing

Update. I just recently saw Resident Evil: Apocalypse... fuck you anderson. Fuck you. I hope you rot in hell you son of a bitch. You have ruined any and every hope of a decent Resident Evil movie out there. Where did you get it wrong? Well, lets take a peek:

OK. Resident Evil 3 was about Jill Valentine trying to escape this thing called the Nemesis in a zombie infested racoon city. What happens? Nemesis is, for no real reason, dropped into Raccoon city. When he comes into contact with some STARS members, what happens? He is, at that time, instructed to gun down each and every one of them, for absolutely NO reason. In the game, Nemesis was instructed to Kill the stars members because they knew about Umbrella and the T Virus and yadda yadda yadda, but here, theres no logic, no fucking point to it at all. Its "Just because"

Jill saying "I'm good... but not THAT good" was so fucking lame I was tempted to turn the movie off to save my brain, but I had to watch it to prove my hypothesis that Anderson has royally screwed up the RE franchise films. Again, Slow Motion Kung Fu in a graveyard against zombies a good movie DOES NOT MAKE.

The lines in this movie were dumb, the acting was horrid, and I couldn't stand any of the characters. Wanna know what pissed me off more then ANYTHING in the movie though? How Nemesis became a good guy at the end. How he just SAVES everybody and turns on Umbrella.

End of the movie: "Begin Project Alice" was it. That did it in for me, because I know that a third film is further raping what could have been a series of excellent horror films, and anderon ruined it all be wanting to make it flashy.

Think me to be a jackass if you want, I just can't stand how... OFF everything was.
I am SO going to Hell...
Mr. Z

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bounty, you need to shorten you're messages!
Behemothic Leviathonic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herpetologist wrote:
Asswipe= Anderson, Paul
Asshole= Anderson, Paul
Asshead= Anderson, Paul

DOWN WIV PAUL ANDERSON!!!!! Twisted Evil

That would make one hell of a dictionary definition... Razz

Anderson pron. (an-Der-san)
n.
1. A person whose goal is to ruin francise films.
2. alt. 'Asshole' (Herpetologist attrib.)

Alien VS Predator VS Species VS The Thing VS The Polymorph VS The Terminator VS Cthulhu VS Critters VS Tremors VS Nocturnal Hammerheads
Aramor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth, you forgot something in your sig... I'm missing the following creatures: Critters, Nocturnal Hammerheads, Tremors, Langoliers, Look-at-me-I'm-a-small-green-dino-doggie-and-I'm-gonna-eat-your-fat-ass-in-the-car-like-your-a-drivethrough-dinner Dilophosaur, Sarlacc, Rancor's, Robin Wright Penn, Screamers, Robocop and a Terminator (preferably a T-800)...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Inkmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the first Resident Evil; I felt it captured the overall feel of the game very well, particularly the way it starts out creepy and confusing, and ends up being a sort of action game. AVP was fun, but I wonder why he stepped away from the tried and true Marines for fucking archaeologists.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor wrote:
Behemoth, you forgot something in your sig... I'm missing the following creatures: Critters, Nocturnal Hammerheads, Tremors, Langoliers, Look-at-me-I'm-a-small-green-dino-doggie-and-I'm-gonna-eat-your-fat-ass-in-the-car-like-your-a-drivethrough-dinner Dilophosaur, Sarlacc, Rancor's, Robin Wright Penn, Screamers, Robocop and a Terminator (preferably a T-800)...

Don't forget Cthulhu!

some random guest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVP was okay. But I do have to say that I could have done better, and I'm a damned fourteen year old!

I like RE and RE:A. They weren't what I expected, but they were pretty good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: