Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Saw: the movie (spoilers hidden)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bernieh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Saw: the movie (spoilers hidden) Reply with quote

Ok, so I finally saw Saw, and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

It wasn't that scary, and the acting was AWFUL, but the suspense and twists really made it a rockin good time. The ending was so simultaneously preposterous and harrowing, and I literally couldn't help grinning like an idiot on my way out of the theater.

The movie's weaknesses are everywhere, and show themselves very soon after you start reflecting, but all I know's I had a great time for my $6.25 ticket. The super-fuck-me twist at the end may have been "one twist too many", and "too clever", but what the fuck, I loved it when I saw it.

At the very least, you had to like it because it was like a big Infocom game they were playing -- "LOOK IN TOILET", "READ NOTE", "GIVE SAW TO LAWRENCE", "OVERACT SEVERELY" -- and it was fun to play along. Extra points if you know what the hell an Infocom game is.

Spoiler:
The best scheme they thought up was easily the junkie with the bear trap around her jaw. Loved it when the "dead" guy woke up.

The scene where the photographer guy was walking around his apartment in the dark, using his flash to see, was great in theory, but didn't scare me like I think it should've.

The ending had way too many "just fucking shoot him" problems. But as I said, I enjoyed the ride anyway.

I loved the final super-fuck-me twist, but it's obvious that it was impossible for him to have planned EVERYTHING to go exactly the way it did.

WAS Lawrence cheating on his wife with that Asian chick or not? Why would they have him deny it? The way they handled it I expected him to be there to perform some well-intentioned, but clandestine, operation on her.

p.s. highlight the gray area to read the spoilers and use the "spoiler" bbcode tag to post your own.
noah

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Error Reply with quote

YOU CAN'T SEE ANY "OVERACT" HERE.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure the acting was over-the-top, but at the thetare I saw it in, it made it almost an audience participation flick (it was packed). The final third of the movie was filled with uncontrollable laughter. I had a blast!

I know the DVD experience will never match the fun I had that night.
No gore, as suggested in ads, and no scares per se, but lots of good suspense and plot twists. Just a fun movie, period, unless you are one of these people that have to overanalyze and critique everything. Those people may not enjoy it. Too bad.
KINGHTRIDER

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the saw was one of the best movies i have ever seen true it was not scary and a bet twisted but the ending was a diffently the best i loved it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theri

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: infocom! Reply with quote

Okay...i read all these comic just now, super funny stuff! And i read most of the forum. And i was going to not say anything, but i had to claim infocom brownie points.

Put the mail on the satchel, and don't forget to put the long dangly bits in the tea!

I'm better now, thanks Very Happy
Holly Resurrected

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have moved into a dark place. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Still internet married to Tripper.
Dean

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.

And... Reducto! "Back off!!"
Blaster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is old as hell, but I just wanted to say that Saw was really too predictable. I have read one book in particular (though the name escapes me) to which the movie was very simliar.

Spoiler:
Also, I think that Lawrence was about to cheat on his wife for the first time but never actually went through with it. This was a bit of a cop-out and a way to keep him as a semi-likeable protagonist.
Lunabella

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my excuses for resurrecting such an old topic, but I saw the movie for the first time only a week ago.

Several things bother me tho:

Spoiler:
the "dead" guy in the end gets up and walks out. Original as it was, is it really possible for someone to be in the same room with those two guys without them noticing you're still alive. It was a long time, right?

Am I the only one that instantly found a way to reach the "dead" guys cell phone/voice recorder? Those saws have a removeable blade right? So you can actually combine the two saws to increase your reach by quite a bit. And once you would have gotten the gun, you could fire trough the chain/lock, right? Hell, even if that didn't work, it'd be the best thing you could have tried.

Right after seeing Saw 1, I watched the second one as well. Basically the same stuff, only that it was more a house full of traps. Some of the traps were, sadly enough so silly, that getting caught by them kind of made you deserve to die.

My overall opinion, however is, that I was satisfied with the movies. I might even see the 3rd one as well some time. However, I'm guessing that will still take a long time, since Blizzard released the burning crusade.

My movie time = nil now.
Digitaaliklosetti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunabella wrote:

Spoiler:

Am I the only one that instantly found a way to reach the "dead" guys cell phone/voice recorder? Those saws have a removeable blade right? So you can actually combine the two saws to increase your reach by quite a bit. And once you would have gotten the gun, you could fire trough the chain/lock, right? Hell, even if that didn't work, it'd be the best thing you could have tried.

No. I thought of that and a couple of other things. But then, when you're the sort of mad super-genius who can think up shit like that and paranoid enough to cover all possible circumstances, I guess you'd be smart enough to not trap someone who's grown up on point 'n' click puzzle adventures.

Me, I woulda aced that shit. Oh yeah.

Also, Saw dude vs McGuyver?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: