Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Ong Bak!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crotchfire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Ong Bak! Reply with quote

Bad acting, horrible direction, poor plot, mediocre lighting. That being said...

I spent $9.75 to see The Transporter 2 in the theatre, and absolutely nothing to see a DVD rip of Ong Bak. I feel ashamed of that fact.

Ong Bak:The Thai Warrior was HOLY FUCKING SHIT awesome. Seriously this movie kicks so much ass that I can't come up with a cogent metaphor because I'm so stupefied by how awesome the asskicking was. No wires or CG in any of the fights, and I was absolutely blown away. The action is JUST THAT GOOD! This dude can pull some absolutely amazing shit out of his ass!
Blaster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rented it last night. Very Happy I plan to watch it as soon as I get my house cleaned up a bit. Crying or Very sad
Holly Resurrected

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in seeing it too. Know hardly anything about it, but it looks cool. What's it about, exactly?

Still internet married to Tripper.
ash_wednesday

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to watch it before it came to theaters. A friend of mine bought the Thai version of the DVD and I was able to watch it they way it was suppose to. Yes it did rock. The best kickboxing movie ever.

"Bite my 50% miss chance."

--Order of the Stick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blaster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have watched about 30 minutes of Ong Bak so far, and I must say that I am somewhat disappointed. Who knows? Maybe it will turn out to have some cool fights. But so far it just appears to be another cheesey action flick. Come on now. A reluctant warrior drawn into a dark underworld? Pit fighters named "Ali" and "Pearl Harbor?" I could easily see Van Damme doing this movie. In fact, I see this as highly derivative of his body of work.
So, if you like a hackneyed actioner, then so be it. I guess I just built this one up in my head a little too much.
Aramor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ong Bak! Reply with quote

Crotchfire wrote:
This dude can pull some absolutely amazing shit out of his ass!

You mean like what Gandalf does with smoke?

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Blaster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just gonna put spoiler tags on the whole damn thing
Spoiler:
Ok, that movie sucked my nuts. Maybe I would have like it better if I were 13, or had not seem that shit done countless times before.
I cannot count how many times I had deja vu. each time remembering a different Van Damme vehicle.
And the stunt scenes were nothing special, in my opinion. I've seen Jackie Chan do better with more plausible surroundings.
And come on now. That biker who is "surprisingly" revealed to be a chick. Like we didn't all see THAT coming. Oh, and she's only trying to get money to go to college. Rolling Eyes
More to come.

Crotchfire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, I know that the first half of the movie sucks donkey balls. Just be patient. There will be beatdowns, beatdowns for everyone!
Blaster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I started typing that AFTER I watched the whole thing. Ok, so where was I?
Spoiler:
How convenient that our hero knows the one mystical martial art which basically makes him invulnerable in a fair fight. Of course, the bad guys aren't looking for a fair fight, especially the one guy who's fighting style consists entirely of throwing dinnerware and furniture. Luckily, though, the enemies still tend to attack in the ineffective "one-at-a-time" style.
And seroiusly? I wheelchair-bound villian who smokes out of a stoma and speaks using a special microphone? (I still can't figure how he managed to get his wheelchair into the cave at the end of the movie, btw).
I know one thing that would have seriously helped this movie: alcohol.

Sorry, Crotchy, we have to agree to disagree on this one. I didn't sign on for another stale retread of such a tired genre.
ash_wednesday

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This a martial art movie...who needs a plot. It's the "oh my gawd..." kind of fighting that we watch the movie for.

--Order of the Stick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aramor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever watched a Jet Li movie?

The One, Kiss of the Dragon, Romeo Must Die, Cradle to the Grave... I must say, those have good plots...

Fail of the day:
Syn wrote:
your balls didn't get suck
Crotchfire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unleashed had a decent plot, too, I thought.

Blaster: oh well. My friends and I absolutely loved it... we all watched it together and as soon as it got into the second half, we all started going "OHHHHhhhh!!" whenever a dude got scorpion-kicked to the face. Maybe it's like Army of Darkness in that it's only good if you watch it with a bunch of your idiot friends?
ash_wednesday

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramor wrote:
Ever watched a Jet Li movie?

The One, Kiss of the Dragon, Romeo Must Die, Cradle to the Grave... I must say, those have good plots...
Yeah, but did they win Oscars? No...And I've seen all of those you just said. I'm a marital art movie nut. Hell I still watch Van Damn movies. (I'm guessing you figured that out)

--Order of the Stick
BaconNeggs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the plot was dumb and alot of the action didn't make much sense. Near the end, it was like, let me show off all the weapon katas for no reason.

It was a nice showcase of Muay Thai compared to kickboxing.
I had flipped thru a muay thai book few years ago wondering what use some of the moves could be and they showed it in the movie.
I swear Tekken 5 programmers watched Ong Bak and added moves to Bruce.
Blaster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just a cynical bastard now. I guess the action just wasn't enough to make the rest of the movie worthwhile for me.
ash_wednesday

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each to his own, i guess. Can't get mad at you for being honest. I still liked the movie. And maybe someday I could do better...

--Order of the Stick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Movies & TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: