Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Wisdom teeth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> General B.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NukeTheSiteFromOrbit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Wisdom teeth Reply with quote

Who has had their wisdom teeth taken out?

I've been procrastinating and it now aches a few times a day. I think I need that operation.
mentallyillhil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mine taken out in August.

Are yours impacted or are they up like regular teeth?

Mine were weird. They were like hollow and the one just started to break up and halfway disappeared. Since the other three were going to end up that way, I had to get them all pulled out.

The guy shot me up with loads of novicane cuz I'm a baby with pain and what scared beyond believe. Didn't feel anything until they did the tooth that was half gone. Apparently it was the bad tooth.

Didn't need any vicodin afterwards even though they gave me a prescrip cuz there was no pain. The novicane wore off, I bled a little and that was it. Everyone is always Shocked with that.

If they are impacted, I would say that you would need the drugage afterwards. You'll also probably be put under. I was suppose to but then the legal stuff I had to read for it scared me more than the fact I had to get my teeth pulled out of my jaw.

I still have lil dimples where they used to be. In a weird way, I sorta miss them.
desert_drum

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get horror stories, lots of them, so here's some balance. I don't know if it was sheer luck, a good dentist, or a combination of the two, but mine were no worse than getting a filling - he did them both at once because it turned out to be so simple. And I'm a baby at the dentist; I have to be gassed for anything more serious than a cleaning.

So long as they're not impacted, it's really not such a thing, in spite of endless comedy bits to the contrary. If they are, it's more surgery than extraction, and you're going to have more pain after. Find a dentist who isn't afraid of prescribing pain meds, and you should be fine. Better still, if you have serious work to do, find an oral surgeon rather than a dentist . Ment there should have been sent to one and put under for that kind of work.

Edit: I should really read in LARGE type before I post.

Last edited by desert_drum on Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
tesla32

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my 4 taken out a few years ago. They had to put me under with an IV and gas. Make sure you stock up on jello and milkshakes and ice cream, because you wont be eating solid food for a good week if you're lucky.
Make sure you bring something to listen to if you can, because listening to the drilling and cracking of your own teeth is just scary. Lucky for me I was too drugged up at the time to realize what the noises were.
Don't forget the ice packs! They will become your new best friend.
Dahaka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Teeth Reply with quote

Arggh, i need mine taken out to.
First I need a car to get to the dentist.
Money to pay...
Well anyway, thanks for bringing me back to reality on the teeth situation...
Dammit! Evil or Very Mad
Krazie Sj

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird, I got mine breaking through and they are perfectly fine. Only thing is that they are a bitch to brush cause they are so far back.

Remember getting in new teeth is always a little hurtful. Its going to buck up against the other teeth for a bit and it'll ache, but if you dont need them pulled then dont. My dentist told me I needed to get mine pulled but I didnt have the cash or the coverage so I was like...Hmmm not so much.

You have to remember, they get paid for every tooth they fill pull and replace. Kinda like a mechanic.

"You need your headlight fluid replaced"

'Dear God! I had no clue!' Shocked

Member of the National Sarcasm Society
-like we need your support-
desert_drum

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krazie Sj wrote:
Weird, I got mine breaking through and they are perfectly fine. Only thing is that they are a bitch to brush cause they are so far back.

Remember getting in new teeth is always a little hurtful. Its going to buck up against the other teeth for a bit and it'll ache, but if you dont need them pulled then dont. My dentist told me I needed to get mine pulled but I didnt have the cash or the coverage so I was like...Hmmm not so much.

I only had top ones, which is kind of strange, apparently; 9 out of 10 times, if you're lucky enough to have only 2, it's the bottom ones. I also have a lot of space where they were, so they came in straight and painlessly. It was the brushing problem that finally forced me to have them out; once they do get cavities, it's just a money-sink to fill them, because it's going to keep happening. I'd very much recommend a child-size toothbrush, which makes it a little easier to get back there, but be prepared for the bad news regardless. That may in fact be why the dentist advised pulling them from the outset.
Krazie Sj

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I got me little kids TB dont you worry! But Yes if they do get cavities then you are more or less hooped. But If possible I'd rather not have to shell out $500 per tooth if possible. *Enter Sobs*

Member of the National Sarcasm Society
-like we need your support-
Bounty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the funny thing with me: the top left one thats growing in seems to have enough room: I don't think it needs to be pulled. Same with the bottom left, but... the right ones arn't coming in o.O
I am SO going to Hell...
(KHNH)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bounty wrote:
This is the funny thing with me: the top left one thats growing in seems to have enough room: I don't think it needs to be pulled. Same with the bottom left, but... the right ones arn't coming in o.O

Ditto on that- I've got one on my right top that I can *feel* through my gum. Other side? Nothing.
Switch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a mover from the back lower left. Thinking about tossing his hide out on the street. Doesn't yet feel like a trouble maker. And the inside/outside wall of the place is still looking like it did before it came along. Just have to time the pain and the suffering to come before it's movement through totally wrecks the joint.
Scar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bounty wrote:

Not the first person to quote you, I see, but yes. I have my bottom right one in fully, it's been there, just fine, the top one over there is sort of..half-in now. My left side wisdom teeth got yanked last fall. They didn't fit, and one got infected.. and it hurt reeeeeeeeeeeally badly. So I got them pulled, and ta da, I was all better in a few days. The worst bit was the needle.. *shudders* I had to get poked twice in the top tooth, and FOUR TIMES in the bottom with that darn thing because the bottom was the infected, screwed up one and it didn't go numb.. ouch. I didn't feel the top one get pulled, I just noticed, hey all of a sudden there is a lot of blood in my throat...
I'm glad I only got half of mine done (hope I don't need the others pulled later on) because it felt like I was gonna choke on my tongue cuz I couldn't feel half of my mouth.. so weird.. XD; Not to bad, though. I was pretty lucky, minus all the pre-pulling pain I suffered with.
leech

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lucky, mine I growing in fine. My bottom right one was only erupting some more a week or two ago, and I was having difficulty chewing with that side of the mouth. Gyah.

But I have had normal teeth out. Sure, it's not as horrible as having wisdom teeth out, but it was pretty horrible. I had a baby tooth out in Taiwan, just because the adult tooth had grown in, and it wouldn't come out. I felt a slight prick, but nothing after that. Then I had about four other teeth out here. The anaesthetic they used was crap. It was enough to make my mouth feel all whoozy, but the whole pulling thing was still painful.

Then.

My mother took me to a restaurant straight after. So I was slobbering everywhere and... ew.
Scar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: in response to leech Reply with quote

Just.......... rotfl. Slobbering. That's something I didn't miss. I didn't do that too much though, honestly. I had more trouble with the whole "sockets bleeding you to death" thing. My mouth bled for over 24 hours straight. I mean, yeesh, I like the taste of blood, but that was overkilling it.
NukeTheSiteFromOrbit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd give a quick update.

I still haven't had them pulled. The pain has stopped and has only been back once or twice in the last 2 months. I'm even eating icecream again without being in complete agony.
Bounty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scar wrote:
Bounty wrote:

Not the first person to quote you, I see, but yes. I have my bottom right one in fully, it's been there, just fine, the top one over there is sort of..half-in now. My left side wisdom teeth got yanked last fall. They didn't fit, and one got infected.. and it hurt reeeeeeeeeeeally badly. So I got them pulled, and ta da, I was all better in a few days. The worst bit was the needle.. *shudders* I had to get poked twice in the top tooth, and FOUR TIMES in the bottom with that darn thing because the bottom was the infected, screwed up one and it didn't go numb.. ouch. I didn't feel the top one get pulled, I just noticed, hey all of a sudden there is a lot of blood in my throat...
I'm glad I only got half of mine done (hope I don't need the others pulled later on) because it felt like I was gonna choke on my tongue cuz I couldn't feel half of my mouth.. so weird.. XD; Not to bad, though. I was pretty lucky, minus all the pre-pulling pain I suffered with.

This is why I'm going to tell them to put me under when they take them out.
I am SO going to Hell...
The Great Me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't had mine taken out yet, and from the looks of them, won't have to, says my dentist.
But I've heard from a few friends who've had them removed. Basically, from what I've heard, this is what you can expect:
If you are male: Slight pain, befuddlement over what the hell the big deal is.
If you are female: LIKE OH MY GOD, the worst pain of your entire life!!! Complete with alleged swelling, flu symptoms, and the inability to eat anything (even Jell-o) for up to three days.

Forgive what may seem like extreme sexism. I am not sexist, (well, maybe just a little bit...) but I have heard wisdom tooth stories from four or five different friends (of both sexes, obviously) and this seems to be the way it turned out.
desert_drum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Me wrote:
Forgive what may seem like extreme sexism. I am not sexist, (well, maybe just a little bit...) but I have heard wisdom tooth stories from four or five different friends (of both sexes, obviously) and this seems to be the way it turned out.

I've had guys tell me it was a shrieking nightmare (no 'alleged' involved, if they say it hurt them, I take them at their word). I've had women tell me it wasn't a big thing. I'm female, didn't think it was all that, and have already said so in this thread. Guys in this thread have described some pretty harrowing experiences. In no case are those stories enough to decide what entire genders' experiences will be like.

In short, four or five people is a way too small sample to judge entire genders from. Sexism, probably. Bad science from which blanket statements should *not* be made, absolutely.
The Great Me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

urbanshawoman wrote:
The Great Me wrote:

I've had guys tell me it was a shrieking nightmare (no 'alleged' involved, if they say it hurt them, I take them at their word). I've had women tell me it wasn't a big thing. I'm female, didn't think it was all that, and have already said so in this thread. Guys in this thread have described some pretty harrowing experiences. In no case are those stories enough to decide what entire genders' experiences will be like.

In short, four or five people is a way too small sample to judge entire genders from. Sexism, probably. Bad science from which blanket statements should *not* be made, absolutely.

Okay, that was just a joke, for the record. Which is why I placed my mini-disclaimer in the bottom. I did generalize. Generalization is almost the only way to form an opinion, short of a Kinsey-like study. And we all know how bad that would be:
Kinsey/census taker type guy: Have you had your wisdom teeth removed?
You: Yes.
Kinsey:Did you feel physical pain during the procedure?
You: Yes.
Kinsey: Did you derive pleasure of a sexual nature from the procedure?
You: WTF?!!!
Thus, the need for generalizations. By the way, that was a joke too. Forgive me.
desert_drum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Me wrote:

Okay, that was just a joke, for the record. Which is why I placed my mini-disclaimer in the bottom.

I generally (yup, I can generalize, too) don't take signatures as being related directly to any one post. I doubt I'm the only one. *Shrug* Whatever floats your boat as humor. Just remember, not everyone is going to think it's funny when you take swats at the behavior of entire populations, no matter how you intend it. That's the price of attempting that kind of humor.

Now taking the advice found in the signature.
20xx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I ever have to have mine taken out, They better shoot me up with morphine, novocaine, cocaine, crack, and be put under with the laughing gas.
desert_drum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20xx wrote:
If I ever have to have mine taken out, They better shoot me up with morphine, novocaine, cocaine, crack, and be put under with the laughing gas.

I promise to send you funny cards in rehab. Shocked
Bounty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20xx wrote:

cocaine IS crack
I am SO going to Hell...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> General B.S. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: