Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
FREE BIRD!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crotchfire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: FREE BIRD!!! Reply with quote

Because of my exposure to various cultural elements in college, I became aware in the past year of how woefully undereducated I am when it comes to classic rock, as a genre of music.

Recently I have come to love various classic rock bands, most importantly Queen and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

But I have come up against a great barrier to liking much of the classic rock genre, and that is the lead singer.

I cannot stand the lead singers of Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, and ACDC. They all drive me freaking nuts, what with their high-pitched screechings.

High-pitched voices is fine, Freddie Mercury and Ronnie Van Zandt aren't baritones, but they could at least sing, damnit (Mercury more than anyone... ever).

They say that "Stairway to Heaven" is the best classic rock song ever, but I can't ****ing stand the sound of that guy's voice, it drives me nuts and I have to change the song.

Also, anyone ever heard "The Ballad of Curtis Lowe"? I first heard this song a couple days ago, and I've listened to it many times since, I just can't get enough of it. That and "Simple Man" are some of the best songs I've ever heard that I'd never heard of before. Any Lynyrd Skynyrd fans out there?
Metal_Pred

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, thats how they sung back then, and some today, well in some genres of metal anyway, it's okay that you don't like it, but don't go flaming some of the best bands in history. I don't know if it's tooo high pitch for you but look into Scorpions and Whitesnake.
desert_drum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: FREE BIRD!!! Reply with quote

Crotchfire wrote:

Also, anyone ever heard "The Ballad of Curtis Lowe"? I first heard this song a couple days ago, and I've listened to it many times since, I just can't get enough of it. That and "Simple Man" are some of the best songs I've ever heard that I'd never heard of before. Any Lynyrd Skynyrd fans out there?

I'm a fan from way back. They're the first thing I want to hand people who think Southern Rock is hick music. There's a lot more going on there; pick up a copy of "Saturday Night Special" for a good example. (It just dawned on me that could well be a reference lost on the very young and non-Americans. A Saturday Night Special is a cheap, easy to get gun - almost always a handgun - assumed to be for committing a crime.)

You hit on two of my favorite songs of theirs, too. Incredible stuff.

You might also like Bad Company (not Southern, but damn good stuff). Anything up to and including Desolation Angels is sweet.

There's sooooo much out there - you've discovered my kind of music! Blue Oyster Cult, Eagles, Creedence, hell, even Styx...I could take you on a tour *laugh*

Also, do give Zep another go. When Plant is doing the blues, way down from the gut, there's nothing finer.
Dahaka

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Skynyrd Live Album, it was recorded it Tennessee, Nashville i think, and it is very good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: