Alien Loves Predator Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
WHY DO WE NEED EMERGENCY BRAKES ON THE SUBWAY (a rant...)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lenz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: WHY DO WE NEED EMERGENCY BRAKES ON THE SUBWAY (a rant...) Reply with quote

Seriously, on all the subway cars next to the stupid emergency brakes, there are instructions detailing that on every conceivable emergency from crime to illness and fire, we are NOT TO PULL ON THE CORD!
SO WHY DO PEOPLE PULL ON THEM? WHY DO WE HAVE THEM?

It's not like the passengers can see what's going on outside the car, ESPECIALLY in the dark tunnels to warrent an emergency dire enough to hit the brakes. What's even worse are the stupid regulations that have the workers check EACH AND EVERY CAR, seeing who pulled it!

I don't know what happens when they do find the person responsible, but I hope it involves something like tossing them naked out of the train. Or at least a really, really steep fine and community service and crap.

And because after like ten to twenty minutes, we are on our way as if nothing happened, it's time I'll never get back stuck in a stupid overpriced can on wheels thanks to stupid MTA regulations.

As it was, tonight, I was riding the Q train as usual just about 7:30PM from 34th. Getting to Brooklyn takes a good hour to get home so it was no biggie and I take the usual nap.

Waking up, I realize I'm still stuck at 7th Avenue in Brooklyn. The guy on the PA goes to explain how someone on the Q train ahead pulled the emergency brake at Prospect Park, so we'll have to wait for a while in this "unavoidable delay".

I say fuck it, ignore the "emergency" and move on. But no, they needed officials to come out into the train and check whatever the hell happened.

After waiting, we finally are on our way, and at this point, I am still underground in the tunnels before Prospect Park before yet again, we stop. The guy on the PA tells us that this time, the fucking B train ahead of us also had the emergency brake pulled at Prospect Park.

I really felt like screaming out this rant aloud on the train, but I'm not that sociable in public. But that didn't stop the old man with the thick russian accent in the seat behind me say something about, "we paying $25 dollars for the MTA and.. and this". Goddammit old man, if you're going to try to make a joke in english, learn the language, try to be funny and at least make sense.

So we couldn't move because apparently they also have officials walking outside the trains checking out the tracks for whatever reason.

I swear, if the train I was on pulled into Prospect Park and someone else hit the brakes, I would rise up to lead a riot to find the fuckhead who did that and skin that person alive.

So all in all, if the MTA must make cuts, cut the emergency brakes.
Dahaka

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: More... Reply with quote

Another delve into the world of illusions. Emergency Exit door procedures on airplanes? Hide under you desk during nuclear attack? Horns on bicycles? Asbestos for fire-retardent materials? The EPA being run by industry lobbyists?
Mr Xeno

Location: In the Jungle, running from people from Discovery Channel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for fun Laughing
Neovanglist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hide under you desk during nuclear attack?

You didn't hear about those new Pentagon anti-rad desks?

Anyway, it's all about mental security. If when the first six train cars have just exploded and you're on the seventh and you got derailed and both your legs are broken and painful death seems imminent, it's nice to think "At least I could have stopped the train". Now the SMART thing to do would be to make the breaks do nothing...
BaconNeggs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're for those times when like in Spiderman 2, a supervillain makes a train that doesn't exist go outta control. What kind of stupidly designed subway just suddenly ends at the river anyway? Why didn't anyone think to pull the damn emergency brake then?
Simon_Says

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the movie makers like to think, that they think.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously no one pulled the emergency brakes because such a train doesn't exist above ground in Manhattan
Cycoclops

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its for those annoying kids that play between the carts, one pull and BOOM no more annoying kids anymore.
Caufman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenz wrote:
Obviously no one pulled the emergency brakes because such a train doesn't exist above ground in Manhattan

That's a good explanation. The train was full of existentionalists who refused to believe they were on an elevated train in Manhattan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alien Loves Predator Forum Index -> NYC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: